Making zmud open more then one zone map

Scripts and support for your favorite MUD client.
Ssnyss
Sojourner

Making zmud open more then one zone map

Postby Ssnyss » Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:27 pm

I used to remember how to do this, where i would have 4 or 5 zones tabbed in the mapper and be able to swap between them. Anyone remember how to do this? opening one map is annoying when trying to plot routes.
sotana
Sojourner

Postby sotana » Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:03 pm

I think it depends on the version of zmud that you use. The older versions store each map as a separate file so you could have more than one file open at once, easily send someone the map of just one zone, etc. The newer versions store all the maps in one file.

I haven't found any way to tab separate maps without creating a new map file containing just one zone each time I map which not only takes up a lot of space (the default map file is quite large and lots of them would be just frightening *shudder*) but, for me, is awkward to move between since I'd have to open a file anytime I wanted a new map and I have mapped over 250 zones :-(.

I have, however, found a program that will let you pull a single zone (or a few) out of zmud's map file to create a new file which I have found helpful when people have asked for a copy of certain maps. You can get that program on zuggsoft.com.

If I'm wrong on this and someone knows how to tab maps with Zmud 2.1, I'd love to hear it!
Ssnyss
Sojourner

Postby Ssnyss » Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:21 pm

Thx. Pretty depressing. Back in the day it was very handy to have tabbed maps. People would often ask for trip directions and i could just load up another map and help them along without losing my position on my own zone.
sotana
Sojourner

Postby sotana » Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:28 pm

Hrm, maybe I'm not understanding what you're saying. What version of zmud are you using? In 7.21 and for several of the versions prior to it, you can easily give directions by just selecting the zone you want in the zone list that is always displayed on the left side of your mapper, giving directions, then clicking again on your original zone. You will still be in your original destination since you can look at other zones without actually moving your position on the map.

Let me know if I'm not getting it. Zmud mapper and I had a love/hate relationship for a long time but then I figured out a few tricks to clean up the way it captures and tracks information and now it's really handy.
Ssnyss
Sojourner

Postby Ssnyss » Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:40 pm

Naw you got what i was intending. I just like having more then one zone open for editing etc. Everytime leaderwould move id pop back into my map and its annoying
Tral
Sojourner

map repository?

Postby Tral » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:42 pm

I know that many folks have put in long hours creating maps, and I was wondering if these files are ever shared? I've never used the mapping feature before, but thought I'd give it a try... With my RL responibilities, I doubt that I'll 'EVER' be able to map out 250 zones, but it'd be cool to be able to experience this as well. So... anyone willing to share zmud maps? Personally I think it'd be so much easier to learn/lead areas/zones if you have a good set of maps to rely on.

Thx,
Tral
Ssnyss
Sojourner

Postby Ssnyss » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:44 pm

Id love to share maps like i used to 8+ years ago, but with this zmud it saves them in one giant database and not as individual zones grrr. I used to icq minthur my maps and vice versa back then.

As my database is almost 100mb, and im on a craptacular dial up connection, there's no way i can icq or email mine lol.
sotana
Sojourner

Postby sotana » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:46 pm

There actually is a program that will let you pull out and save just one zone at a time from your big zone file so you can send someone one or two zone maps instead of your whole big fat file. I'll hunt down the program and post a link to it.

Also, the mapping file is ridiculous large so make sure that you select 'compact map database' from the File menu in the mapper. Even if you never plan on sending your map file to someone else so don't think you'll care how big the file is, your maps will at least open faster.
sotana
Sojourner

Postby sotana » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:56 pm

Well whaddya know! I found the link for the zone copy program faster than I expected to:

http://forums.zuggsoft.com/index.php?pa ... file_id=66

Another helpful link (program creator giving details on using the program):

http://forums.zuggsoft.com/phpbb/viewto ... t=zonecopy

Enjoy!
Kegor
Sojourner

Postby Kegor » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:42 am

Just use zMud v5.55. It is better for a lot of reasons, mapper and database being my favorites. You have to run a serperate compression program, but other than that, way better (IMO).

Return to “MUD Client Help”