Mapping help for zMud

Scripts and support for your favorite MUD client.
namatoki
Sojourner

Mapping help for zMud

Postby namatoki » Sat Jan 27, 2001 6:45 am

Hi all,

I have the latest version of zMud (6.15 or so) and I tried out the automapper for a certain mud. I configured it and it seemed to be working fine. But the thing is, after a little while, it goes wacky and overlaps rooms that shouldn't and also makes rooms where I backtracked into the same room. DO I need to manually fix these problems all the time or is there something I can do to make the automapper work better? Thanks for the input!

Nizrath (waiting to roll my drow necro)
Gindipple
Sojourner

Postby Gindipple » Sat Jan 27, 2001 6:56 am

Ah the mapper fun. The mapper is tricky to get working right. In 4.62 it was nearly the same. You kinda have to train the mapper the first couple rooms, then hand edit it a few times. Once it gets on track it's pretty good. If you do go into a labyrinth though it can get messed up real fast. For these I highly recommend paper mapping then when you're sure you know the stucture go map it and move the rooms around some manually when you know it's about to move the whole map on you automatically. Also important is to tell the mapper the proper strings for things like It's dark... and Alas, you can't go that way... Also you have to get the desc, room name, and exits lines in order. My biggest problem always comes from making one zone way more than it should be, try to learn a zone manually some before mapping it. It'll pay off in the long run with a better map properly connected via zmud connected portals.

Hope that helps some, Gindipple.
Tilandal
Sojourner

Postby Tilandal » Sat Jan 27, 2001 8:40 am

The mapper is tricky.

Going over the solutions for your specific problems.

1. overlapping rooms: not much u can do about this. The mud isnt layed out in perfect blocks so if u assume each room is 1 grid the map will overlap. Once u learn the zone u can see where you will have to move the rooms to make it all fit. Mapping BG is a good example. Some on the spaces between streets are several grids larger than the number of rooms present so you will have to space them out.

2. If it is making rooms wehn you backtrack this means that you are not catching the room descriptions consistantly. You have to make sure no players or objects are caught in the room name or description otherwise it will think that it is a new room because there is different text. It may be helpful not to chach room descriptions. Just first line and exit line. This will also make your files smaller.

3. the things Gindipple mentiond are also important just incase you press a wrong button or get caught in the dark.
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Sat Jan 27, 2001 8:55 am

Here are my settings for automapping when moving (even when following a leader)

***** Variables
#VAR MyLeader {xxx} {xxx} {MyMapper}
#VAR MyLeaderDir {} {} {MyMapper}
#VAR LastRoom {-1} {-1} {MyMapper}
#VAR AFKPrompt {~<(AFK)~>} {_nodef} {MyMapper}

*** Triggers

#TRIGGER {Room size:} {#gag} {MyMapper} 5
#TRIGGER {The(*)seems to be closed.} {#nodir} {MyMapper} 517
#TRIGGER {Alas, you cannot go that way. . . .} {#nodir} {MyMapper} 517
#TRIGGER {You now follow (%w).} {#var MyLeader %1} {MyMapper} 517
#TRIGGER {You flee (%w)ward!} {MyMap %1} {MyMapper} 517
#TRIGGER {@MyLeader (*) south.} {#var MyLeaderDir south} {MyMapper} 517
#TRIGGER {@MyLeader (*) north.} {#var MyLeaderDir north} {MyMapper} 517
#TRIGGER {@MyLeader (*) west.} {#var MyLeaderDir west} {MyMapper} 517
#TRIGGER {@MyLeader (*) east.} {#var MyLeaderDir east} {MyMapper} 517
#TRIGGER {@MyLeader (*) up.} {#var MyLeaderDir up} {MyMapper} 517
#TRIGGER {@MyLeader (*) down.} {#var MyLeaderDir down} {MyMapper} 517
#TRIGGER {You follow @MyLeader.} {#map @MyLeaderDir} {MyMapper} 517
#TRIGGER {^< ~(AFK~)> } {#sub {< %ansi(gray)(%ansi(high,red)AFK%ansi(gray))%ansi(green)%literal(>)%cr}} {MyMapper2} 197
#TRIGGER {^~<~> } {#sub {<>%cr}} {MyMapper2} 197
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Sat Jan 27, 2001 8:57 am

of course forgot the aliases.

#ALIAS MyMap {#if (%roomlink(%roomnum,%1) = -1) {#makeroom {%1} {noname};#map %1;#move %1;#look} {#move %1}} {MyMapper}
#ALIAS lookahead {sit;#var LastRoom %roomnum;#map %1;l %1;#temp {You(*)to your feet.} {#teleport {@LastRoom}} MyMapper;stand} {MyMapper}
namatoki
Sojourner

Postby namatoki » Sat Jan 27, 2001 4:17 pm

Thanks for all the tips, guys! I'll try them out and see how they work.

Return to “MUD Client Help”