My damn computer

Scripts and support for your favorite MUD client.
Corth
Sojourner

My damn computer

Postby Corth » Fri Mar 02, 2001 2:37 am

This has nothing to do with mudding but its driving me nuts and I bet one of you computer studs can help...

Ever since I got a cable modem about 2 months ago, my computer has locked up way too much. It can happen at any time.. if I'm using the computer or if its just sitting idle. Generally, it will happen within 10 minutes to an hour and a half after I boot the computer. If I disconnect the modem and boot the computer, it does not lock up.

I have a Toshiba cable modem, and some sort of converter so it plugs into a USB port. The driver is a 3Com USB Network Interface (3C19250) ver 1.25. I have windows 98.

I've spoken to technical support probably a dozen times and each time I hear something different, and the problem persists nonetheless.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd really appreciate it. I doubt I'd be able to mud with all these lockups.

Corth

[This message has been edited by Corth (edited 03-01-2001).]
Gindipple
Sojourner

Postby Gindipple » Fri Mar 02, 2001 3:13 am

Ditch the cablemodem and get a trusty 56k dial-up. It's plenty nuff for muddin with.

Drivers are usually cause for lots of lockup type problems, might try searching the web for latest drivers if you plan to keep it, but it really sounds like most stories I've heard about cablemodems, NO SUPPORT!

Gindipple.
namatoki
Sojourner

Postby namatoki » Fri Mar 02, 2001 3:19 am

Hmmm... I would say to get a network card and use that instead of the USB port. I've had problems with USB and I just think it's way too unstable. I've never used a USB port for networking so I don't know what it could actually be, but perhaps a setting is causing the problem.

Anyway, a NIC (network interface card in case you don't know what that is) is much more reliable and a lot faster as well. Hope that helps... Image

Nizrath
Thalor
Sojourner

Postby Thalor » Fri Mar 02, 2001 3:23 am

Upgrading your USB drivers might do the trick, especially if you notice your computer dying on you when you're running another device via USB (e.g.: scanner or printer).
Good luck!

-Thalor Duskriver
Ruhr
Sojourner

Postby Ruhr » Fri Mar 02, 2001 8:31 am

That Toshiba should have an RJ-45 port as well. Use it. Get a NIC card (with an RJ-45 plug, not coaxial or USB) and some cat-5 cable.

Also, if you're using any specific configuration software from the ISP, get rid of it, and set up your connection with TCP/IP. You may need to give your ISP the MAC address from your NIC card--unless they use the serial number in your cable modem to verify your ID on the Node.

Speaking from experience, the @home software has this hang up problem, not sure about roadrunner (kris?), anyhow, the ideal setup for a cable modem is as follows:

1) Buy a Netgear RT314 Cable/DSL Router w/4 Port Switch (which sells for $99 after rebate on amazon.com : http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... 56-0463925)

2) Get (1) static IP address from your ISP. This may be a challenge, but it can be done.

3) Set up the router as a DHCP server with that one IP address. This may be difficult for someone unfamiliar with networking, but Netgear has excellent tech support.

You'll need several pieces of information from your ISP to do this:

a) The IP addresses of your DNS servers (primary & secondary);
b) your IP address;
c) the IP address of the gateway server;
d) host name;
e) domain name (e.g. sojourn3.org); and
f) the subnet mask (usually begins with 255.255.0.0)

4) Next, I'd recommend a fresh install of win98. Reformat your hard drive also. Then when re-installing win98, add TCP/IP networking (settings/control panel/network/"add" button/protocol/Microsoft/TCP/IP).

5) after install, telnet to your router (from the com2/1 port with a null modem cable), set it up and then configure your TCP/IP preferences to DHCP in win98 and enter your gateway address and you primary and secondary DNS.

6) Most importantly, turn of all file sharing b/c if it's on, the default file share directory is C: (which grants users read/write access to your whole hard drive). You are particularly vulnerable to a program called Sharesniffer (http://www.sharesniffer.com/) if you leave file sharing on with a cable modem.

The Netgear router I cited does something called NAT (network address translation) also known as IPMASQ. This allows you to connect to the Internet with more than one computer with that one static IP address.

Anyhow, if you do all this, your lock-up problem will be fixed (which I suspect is caused by the ISP's DHCP software).

If you want to do this more cheaply, reformat/reinstall, add and set up TCP/IP with the static IP address you get from your ISP (adding all the same info that you'd add to your router into your TCP/IP prefs) – if you go this route, then I recommend you get some firewall software so you don't get hacked. I recommend Black Ice Defender (http://www.networkice.com/) a $40 some odd dollar program.

If you decide to get the router, I can email you a pdf that shows all this step by step with screen-shots of telnet sessions between my computer & router (including how to open a port on the firewall-which you'll need for telnet and peer-2-peer file sharing).

[This message has been edited by Ruhr (edited 03-02-2001).]
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Fri Mar 02, 2001 10:39 am

If you don't want to shelve out money for a firewall, go to www.zonelabs.com and download zonealarm. It's a free firewall and has come up as the best in its class time and time again in tests.

For more information about the 'file sharing' danger with a permanent connection, go to www.grc.com and click on 'shields up'. You will see a page with a 'test my shields' button on top, and a list on the lower end of the page. The test will scan all your ports and see if they are open. The links on the lower end of the page are the best descriptions of what port monitors, firewalls, trojan horses, etc are I have ever seen. VERY useful.

Cherzra Eat Slime.

[This message has been edited by cherzra (edited 03-02-2001).]
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Fri Mar 02, 2001 5:51 pm

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I picked up some updated drivers for the USB last night in response to one suggestion, but it hasn't seemed to help.

It seems like the consensus says I pick myself up a NIC card. I'll do that today.

Ruhr: I have Time Warner, and consequently use their Road Runner service. When it was installed, it came with a program called "Road Runner Medic", which I subsequently lost when I formatted the drive and re-installed windows. The lockup problem existed prior to formatting the drive, and continues even though (to my knowledge) I'm not currently using any software in conjunction with the cable service.

Anyways, Ruhr, despite my mudding proficiency Image I am a computer novice and most of what you said went over my head (although I really appreciate you going to the trouble to address my problem in such detail). Would you suggest that I purchase the items you listed and have a professional carry out your instructions or should I figure it out as I go along? I have installed cards before so I think I can handle the NIC card. Should I try that first, and if it doesn't do the trick, continue with your further suggestions?

Thanks again,
Corth
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Fri Mar 02, 2001 9:11 pm

In all honesty what Ruhr said is quite complicated. If you don't understand what he said, it's best to not try.. telnetting to routers and configuring them along with IP Masquerading isn't exactly computer 101.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Fri Mar 02, 2001 9:55 pm

Ok I just installed a Netgear Fast Ethernet PCI adapter (which is a NIC right? Image ). I can use the internet.. so thats a good sign. Now I get to putz around the internet for a while waiting for a lockup.. and if there is one.. I'm going to get a sledgehammer.. and.. Image

Corth
Ruhr
Sojourner

Postby Ruhr » Sat Mar 03, 2001 5:27 am

Yes, "Netgear Fast Ethernet PCI adapter" is a NIC card. You'll notice in the back of the card a jack that looks like a slightly large telephone jack. This is an RJ-45 jack, A.K.A. "Ethernet."

You're probably still connecting through DHCP. Not sure if you're using a roadrunner client. Do you remember putting a roadrunner CD into your machine (or a technician doing so?).

------

Anyhow, if routers seem a bit scary, you might want to start with the most basic configuration.

The easiest way to go about this is to plug your cable modem (via RJ-45/Cat-5) directly into your Netgear NIC card.

So reformat/reinstall win98 (*if* you're still having the lock up problems).

Then, like I said, get the following info from your ISP:

a) DNS servers (primary & secondary);
b) A *static* IP address;
c) The gateway server address;
d) The host name;
e) The domain name; and
f) The subnet mask

Then add the TCP/IP protocol. Directions:

1. open "settings" from the windows start button menu.

2. select "control panel."

3. in control panel, double click on the network icon.

4. click on the "add" button.

5. select "protocol."

6. select "Microsoft."

7. select "TCP/IP." and insert your Windows98 CD, and left click on "OK."

Configuration:

1. open "settings" from the windows start button menu.

2. select "control panel."

3. in control panel, double click on the network icon.

4. highlight "TCP/IP" from the list in the "network" dialog box and left click on "properties."

5. in the "TCP/IP" properties dialog box, click on the "IP Address" tab at the top of the box.

6. Left click in the blank dot next to "specific an IP address." There should now be a black dot in this field signifying that you've selected a static IP address.

7. Enter your static IP address and the subnet mask.

8. left click on the "gateway" tab at the top of the TCP/IP properties dialog box.

9. Enter your gateway address in the "new gateway" field and left click on the "add" button. Your gateway address should now appear in the field under the heading "installed gateways."

10. Left click on the "DNS configuration" tab at the top of the TCP/IP properties dialog box.

11. Left click on the small white space to the left of "enable DNS"

12. Enter your host name and your domain name
in the two fields near the top of the dialog box.

13. Enter your DNS address(es) in the field under the title "DNS server search order" and left click the "add" button. You should be supplied with two DNS server addresses, repeat this process until both DNS addresses appear in the field below.

14. Left click on the "NetBIOS" tab at the top of the TCP/IP properties dialog box, and disable NetBIOS.

15. click on the "OK" button in the TCP/IP preferences dialog box. Click "OK" on the network dialog box.

16. Restart your machine and you should be up and running.

[This message has been edited by Ruhr (edited 03-03-2001).]
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Sat Mar 03, 2001 7:18 am

It seems to be working. I've been giving my computer a workout for the last 8 hours or so and all is well, no lockups. BTW this was the best excuse I ever had for spending a day piddling around on the computer Image

Thanks a lot for all the help guys.

Corth
Ruhr
Sojourner

Postby Ruhr » Sat Mar 03, 2001 7:21 am

It was probably the USB then. You might want to get zonealarm though and turn off windows file sharing...
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Sat Mar 03, 2001 7:54 am

nods, will do.

Corth
namatoki
Sojourner

Postby namatoki » Sat Mar 03, 2001 3:31 pm

Yay! *hi5 Corth*

Glad to hear you are up and running...

Heh, heh, yet another reason I still don't like USB. Image

Nizrath
Frensolith
Sojourner

Postby Frensolith » Thu Mar 08, 2001 4:37 am

step #1: Get a baseball bat.

step #2: Beat Computer with bat.

Frensolith, Elven Warrior
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Thu Mar 08, 2001 8:35 am

step #3: repeat
Gromsharulaz
Sojourner

Postby Gromsharulaz » Thu Mar 08, 2001 1:36 pm

Do not mock the caveman method of PC repair!

Hehe I actually got my monitor working again like that. :P Apparently in my move, the damn thing got jostled too much and knocked things out of alignment. Well damned if I was going to bother opening the piece of crud up, just scooped it up and dropped that bugger from about 3 inches. Presto - everything back where it should be, I'm sure I could have gotten the same effects with a bat but I didn't have one in the apt. ;P

- Grommie a.k.a. Captain Caveman!
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Thu Mar 08, 2001 6:36 pm

I had a TV once that needed a swift smack on its top every few minutes or so to keep what was being displayed aligned properly.

I guess I should have tried the baseball bat ... for a more permanent solution.

Return to “MUD Client Help”