ugh. Guru required, apply within.

Scripts and support for your favorite MUD client.
Djaarrukan
Sojourner

ugh. Guru required, apply within.

Postby Djaarrukan » Tue Apr 24, 2001 8:24 pm

Ok. Here's the deal. My dumb ass dad is still running win 3.1. On top of that, he's also running some crazy pctools desktop that makes life frickin difficult for me who is on vacation at his house and trying to mud. Compund this with the fact he is a security NUTBAR and would kill me if he knew I was trying to download a mudclient from some unknown source that is no doubt part of some government plot to give his shitty 486 a virus. So even though he knows what he is doing, I can't ask him.
My problem is that he does not have a telnet application that seems to work. The trumpet telnet opens fine, but when I type in the mud address it just sits there for a minute, then tells me the connection is closed.
So I go and find a win 3.1 useable zmud version. Should be easy, right? Wrong. What the Fun do I do with the file "zmud16f.htm" after I have downloaded it? As it is so old, it is not supported by the source site.

Knew I should have taken less arts courses in university. Any help would be appreciated..

Thanks,

Djaarrukan dooger who didn't have a 53 int for nothin.
Gindipple
Sojourner

Postby Gindipple » Tue Apr 24, 2001 8:47 pm

Buy your dad a real computer?

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 24, 2001 9:24 pm

make sure that you are using port 9999. it's been a looooong time since I used trumpet, but I believe you get a dialog box to type in the host you want to connect to. if you just type in "sojourn3.org", you will be connecting on port 23 (which would explain why your connection keeps dropping - that's one of our security features). try typing in "sojourn3.org:9999".

hope that helps.

--D2
Tempus
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Tempus » Tue Apr 24, 2001 11:49 pm

If the name of the zmud file you downloaded is really "zmud16f.htm" then all you downloaded was the web page, not the program. Go back and get the program. It should have either a .zip or a .exe extension on the end of it, and if it's .zip then you need Pkzip to unzip it, unless of course you can find a win 3.1 version of winzip.

Temp

Return to “MUD Client Help”