Tip: How to run past an aggro mob with zMud (buffering)

Scripts and support for your favorite MUD client.
Gakka
Sojourner

Tip: How to run past an aggro mob with zMud (buffering)

Postby Gakka » Sat Feb 23, 2002 12:25 am

Ok, as you all know zMud is pretty slow, when i had to run past a fox in bloodtusk a lot i therefore discovered how using the command buffer works wonders for me.

Basically I am in a room with a north-south exit, south is an other room, with an aggro critter, and also a north-south exit.

Goal is to go 2 south, as fast as possible, thus avoiding the aggro mob.

In zMud you would normally with the numeric keyboard type 22. as in "2" "2" real fast. But, that wasn't fast enough mostly to avoid the damn fox. Ok: Then i types "s;s" that didn't work either.

Anyhow, what I did then was to fill out the buffer before i went 2 south.

With the numeric pads I typed
(- is up)
Then I got a lot of:Alas, you cannot go that way. . . .
and then I went 2 south. And the mob very rarely aggro. (Its did 1 time, so it isn't perfect. But i think it is better).

/Gakka Boom
Gromsharulaz
Sojourner

Postby Gromsharulaz » Sat Feb 23, 2002 5:30 am

*ponders* Zmud slow... Methinks you need to tweak the settings a 'lil bit - zmud buffers lines of text before displaying it to your screen - you can change that amount in your general preferences. Additionally, if you have a lot of triggers loaded that will slow things as well, try shutting some of them down.
Anyway I was just wondering if you'd looked into Zmud's speedwalking features?
Typing:
.2s
and hitting enter would send both souths to the mud much faster than your whapping of the keypad. Though if I remember right running past a mob depends a lot more on things on the mud side than anything you can client side.

- Gromsharulaz Darkmace, Insane Derro of the Underdark
Zanthra
Sojourner

Postby Zanthra » Wed Jun 26, 2002 10:52 pm

How do you do that?

------------------
Characters: Talzix, Sonolous, and Rinmare
Jorus
Sojourner

Postby Jorus » Fri Jun 28, 2002 8:17 am

Just do like they suggested. Type some commands that will take a while to complete, then what you want to do. The commands you want to do quickly will go as fast as possible.

My favourite is to type "search", then the commands I want to execute quickly. Search gives enough of a delay to load up on commands.

Regards,
Jorus
Zagaz
Sojourner

Postby Zagaz » Tue Oct 29, 2002 12:16 am

That is one of the best tips I have ever heard. Don't know how many times I have avoided an aggro mob with some of my lower lvl characters that thought they could take on some of the stuff in the Mir Forest.

the wonders of search;command;command;etc

------------------
Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.

Return to “MUD Client Help”