New Global Warming Thread

Life, the universe, and everything.
Forum rules
- No personal attacks against players or staff members - please be civil!
- No posting of mature images/links, keep content SFW. If it's NSFW, don't post it on these forums.
Lathander
Staff Member - Areas

New Global Warming Thread

Postby Lathander » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:20 am

Another 'fact' of global warming debunked by a global warming guy.

http://www.dailytech.com/Global+Warming ... e11471.htm
Ragorn
Sojourner

Re: New Global Warming Thread

Postby Ragorn » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:26 am

- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:30 am

Ragorn wrote:Don't worry, they're learning.

Slowly.

Frankly, at this point Bush's attempts to act concerned about global warming come of as a little... fake. He's had 8 years of leading the country to deal with the issue, so why does he say nothing about fuel standards or limiting carbon emissions until just before he leaves office and ca't do anything anymore?
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:34 am

Because Dick Cheney has started investing in alternative fuels, so now he stands to make money off that instead.
Support Your Addiction! Vote for TorilMUD Today!

Top Mud Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=shev

Why Nerox is jealous of me:

Nerox tells you 'man this thing is kicking my ass and i have blisters!'
Nerox tells you 'ok attempting it again put tape on my fingers for easier sliding'
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:53 am

Chris Landsea
Teflor does. Teflor does not.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:55 am

Ragorn wrote:Don't worry, they're learning.

Slowly.

Learning? The Bush administration has laid out numerous goals concerning a wide variety of topics - including global climate change since practically the beginning of his presidency.

You not knowing does not equal him learning.
Last edited by teflor the ranger on Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:56 am

Yasden wrote:Because Dick Cheney has started investing in alternative fuels, so now he stands to make money off that instead.

What do alternative fuels have to do with capping or lowering or even controlling greenhouse emissions? Most everything BURNED gives off carbon dioxide. And don't get me started on electric vehicles. You just pre-burn your fossil fuels at the coal-fired power plant.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:07 am

Lathander wrote:Another 'fact' of global warming debunked by a global warming guy.

http://www.dailytech.com/Global+Warming ... e11471.htm

Before the rest of my posts get covered in intellectual slop, I would just like to say that this reversal is a minor triumph for science. I don't lend this guy's climate model any more credit than the last one he did, but the idea that a scientist can compile the best data he can, find that it doesn't support his decades old theory, and admit it to the public is score one for value-neutral research.
Lathander
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Lathander » Fri May 02, 2008 2:13 am

Guess we can call off the global warming discussion for at least another ten years.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,353844,00.html

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XDI2NVTYRXU
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Fri May 02, 2008 2:47 am

The environmentalists threw a party, but Lathander told them all to go home!
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Fri May 02, 2008 5:24 am

Lathander wrote:Guess we can call off the global warming discussion for at least another ten years.

You quoted a Faux News article in relation to a global warming thread.

fn;dr
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Fri May 02, 2008 6:47 am

Ragorn wrote:
Lathander wrote:Guess we can call off the global warming discussion for at least another ten years.

You quoted a Faux News article in relation to a global warming thread.

fn;dr

IPCC researchers project no global warming over the next decade because of Mother Nature.

That you can't blame on Fox's spin.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Fri May 02, 2008 12:32 pm

Let's see. Ok, there's the out of context quote with the elipsis in the middle that could hide "to a certain extent." Of course, the rest of the article is him bitching that people are raising money due to Global warning, by a guy who has made a career out of creating junk science propaganda. Right. No hypocricy there!

But I digress, and will simply point out that Exxon-Mobil is paying him to say these things:

http://www.motherjones.com/news/feature/2005/05/some_like_it_hot.html wrote:Neither outlet disclosed that Milloy, who debunks global warming concerns regularly, runs two organizations that receive money from ExxonMobil. Between 2000 and 2003, the company gave $40,000 to the Advancement of Sound Science Center, which is registered to Milloy’s home address in Potomac, Maryland, according to IRS documents. ExxonMobil gave another $50,000 to the Free Enterprise Action Institute—also registered to Milloy’s residence.
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Llaaldara
Sojourner

Postby Llaaldara » Fri May 02, 2008 7:00 pm

Speaking of Exxon-Mobil

http://www.canada.com/edmontonjournal/n ... 36b0e1&p=2

The Rockefellers are pushing them to invest in alternative energy sources.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Sat May 03, 2008 4:29 am

Sarvis wrote:Let's see. Ok, there's the out of context quote with the elipsis in the middle that could hide "to a certain extent." Of course, the rest of the article is him bitching that people are raising money due to Global warning, by a guy who has made a career out of creating junk science propaganda. Right. No hypocricy there!

I think his complaint is that the people that are promoting the unproven idea of human-caused, greenhouse gas aggrevated global warming (and preventable by human means) are the ones poised to make the most profit.

It's a standard con. Honestly, hardly anything worth complaining about, but then again, so is basic forum moderation...
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Sat May 03, 2008 4:38 am

Hrm. The most profit. Tell me, is it the "evul liberals" or Exxon-Mobil that is posed to be the worlds 18th largest economy?

Just trying to follow the money trail... feel free to call for some censorship.

teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Sat May 03, 2008 4:41 am

Sarvis wrote:Hrm. The most profit. Tell me, is it the "evul liberals" or Exxon-Mobil that is posed to be the worlds 18th largest economy?

Just trying to follow the money trail... feel free to call for some censorship.

Ask Liberal George Soros.

A word of advice, don't play the money game. It is found in all corners.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Sat May 03, 2008 8:00 pm

teflor the ranger wrote:I think his complaint is that the people that are promoting the unproven idea of human-caused, greenhouse gas aggrevated global warming (and preventable by human means) are the ones poised to make the most profit.

I've never seen you pwn yourself so quickly.
- Ragorn
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Sat May 03, 2008 9:16 pm

Ragorn wrote:
teflor the ranger wrote:I think his complaint is that the people that are promoting the unproven idea of human-caused, greenhouse gas aggrevated global warming (and preventable by human means) are the ones poised to make the most profit.

I've never seen you pwn yourself so quickly.

teflor the ranger wrote:Honestly, hardly anything worth complaining about

Ragorn,

That might have worked had his complaint been my complaint. Learn to read.

Cheers mate.
flib
Sojourner

Postby flib » Sat May 03, 2008 9:47 pm

didn't read the full post, so not sure if anyone posted about this or not. I was watching I think Foxnews the other day and they reported on reserch findings of how in the next 50 years or so the world was going to cool down, not heat up unlike the global warmers theory. I found it quite interesting as I've never bought into the whole we're killing mother earth propaganda.

Also, something else I remember reading about, at the moment we're about 500 or so years past our due date for the average ice age, once every 25,000 years or so were around 25,500 or something. Which leads me to believe that heat isn't going to take us out, cold is.
Lathander
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Lathander » Sun May 18, 2008 3:58 am

I find myself agreeing with Obama on McCain. I do think he has lost his "bearings"!

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,356097,00.html
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Sun May 18, 2008 6:23 am

flib wrote:didn't read the full post, so not sure if anyone posted about this or not. I was watching I think Foxnews the other day and they reported on reserch findings of how in the next 50 years or so the world was going to cool down, not heat up unlike the global warmers theory. I found it quite interesting as I've never bought into the whole we're killing mother earth propaganda.

Also, something else I remember reading about, at the moment we're about 500 or so years past our due date for the average ice age, once every 25,000 years or so were around 25,500 or something. Which leads me to believe that heat isn't going to take us out, cold is.

Err... care to explain how an ice age being delayed debunks theories of the planet being heated up by human activity?

Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Sun May 18, 2008 8:13 pm

Sarvis wrote:
flib wrote:didn't read the full post, so not sure if anyone posted about this or not. I was watching I think Foxnews the other day and they reported on reserch findings of how in the next 50 years or so the world was going to cool down, not heat up unlike the global warmers theory. I found it quite interesting as I've never bought into the whole we're killing mother earth propaganda.

Err... care to explain how an ice age being delayed debunks theories of the planet being heated up by human activity?

He saw it on fox news; it must be true!
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Mon May 19, 2008 5:11 am

Lathander
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Lathander » Mon May 19, 2008 6:52 pm

Here come the Fox News bashers, guess they get the real news from CNN, aka the Communist News Network.

"Capitalism and communism stand at opposite poles. Their essential difference is this: The communist, seeing the rich man and his fine home, says: 'No man should have so much.' The capitalist, seeing the same thing, says: 'All men should have as much.' "
Phelps Adams
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Mon May 19, 2008 7:40 pm

Lathander wrote:Here come the Fox News bashers, guess they get the real news from CNN, aka the Communist News Network.

"Capitalism and communism stand at opposite poles. Their essential difference is this: The communist, seeing the rich man and his fine home, says: 'No man should have so much.' The capitalist, seeing the same thing, says: 'All men should have as much.' "
Phelps Adams

This from the guy who espouses our current healthcare system as a means of rationing healthcare AWAY from the needy?

Lathander
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Lathander » Mon May 19, 2008 7:43 pm

The NEEDY get healthcare just go to any emergency room in the inner city if you are brave enough.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Mon May 19, 2008 9:35 pm

Not the point, and you know it. You've said in the past that capitalism is the means of rationing things, and now you're asking us to believe you want every Tom, Dick and Harry to live in a Bill Gates' sized mansion.

Bullshit.

teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Tue May 20, 2008 1:42 am

You know, this thread was fairly dead until I posted those two links in it. And yet, neither of you are saying anything that has anything to do with those two links.

GO read both carefully.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Tue May 20, 2008 2:51 am

Sarvis wrote:Not the point, and you know it. You've said in the past that capitalism is the means of rationing things, and now you're asking us to believe you want every Tom, Dick and Harry to live in a Bill Gates' sized mansion.

Bullshit.

You've never really gotten involved in the McMansions market, have you.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Wed May 21, 2008 12:11 am

Black people can't swim - Fox News

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

flib
Sojourner

Postby flib » Wed May 21, 2008 8:24 pm

how is the earth getting colder over the next 50 years not applicable to the idea of global warming? are you dense, if the earth is getting colder that means it's not heating up, and it was all caused by natural causes.

this is my own opinion, and I believe it (well of course I do since it's mine heh) The industrial revolution has been going on for around 150 years tops, probably not even that long. The idea that we humans using carbon based materials can cause massive damage to a thing that has been living for what 50 million years, at the least? that just sounds bogus to me.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Wed May 21, 2008 8:42 pm

If we're <i>overdue</i> for an ice age, doesn't that mean the earth is warmer than it should be?

Oh, and I'll believe the earth is going to get colder over the next 50 years when it happens... or at least when I see some evidence for it outside of Fox News.

Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Thu May 22, 2008 2:43 am

flib wrote:how is the earth getting colder over the next 50 years not applicable to the idea of global warming? are you dense, if the earth is getting colder that means it's not heating up, and it was all caused by natural causes.

this is my own opinion, and I believe it (well of course I do since it's mine heh) The industrial revolution has been going on for around 150 years tops, probably not even that long. The idea that we humans using carbon based materials can cause massive damage to a thing that has been living for what 50 million years, at the least? that just sounds bogus to me.

You obviously have no idea about the synthetic amounts of pollution that have been dumped into the atmosphere during that 150 year period, do you? Nor have you formulated the non-existance of such pollution in the 50 million years prior to that period, have you?

This is where fox gets its ratings from. Somehow I'm less than shocked.

teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Thu May 22, 2008 2:51 am

Kifle wrote:
flib wrote:how is the earth getting colder over the next 50 years not applicable to the idea of global warming? are you dense, if the earth is getting colder that means it's not heating up, and it was all caused by natural causes.

You obviously have no idea about the synthetic amounts of pollution that have been dumped into the atmosphere during that 150 year period, do you? Nor have you formulated the non-existance of such pollution in the 50 million years prior to that period, have you?

This is where fox gets its ratings from. Somehow I'm less than shocked.

Sure, dodge the part about the earth getting colder over the next 50 years.
flib
Sojourner

Postby flib » Thu May 22, 2008 9:10 am

another article here. http://www.canadafreepress.com/2006/caruba033006.htm

enjoy the global warming debunkment, it's a myth get over it.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Thu May 22, 2008 12:35 pm

Wow, that "article" felt about the same as reading one of Teffie's forum posts. Calling other papers "pathetic," using anecdotal evidence, and not providing any actual facts for his claim.

He implies that sunspots, volcanic activity or clouds "doing what they do" are causing the warming. He provides no evidence that they do, and in fact solar activity has been disproven as a cause of warming! Hell, he doesn't even let us know what clouds "do." (Anyone who's played sim-earth knows they reflect sunlight, I mean really... )

MEanwhile the website itself pretty much reveals a clear bias. If you go to the front page they have an article titled "The Unholly Alliance that manufactured Global Warming." (sic) Unholy alliance? Please. Oh, and they aren't even smart enough to properly capitalize the title... so yeah. Reaks, just reaks of credibility.

It's funny that the author is quoted as saying "Too much of what passes for news today lacks depth, insight or value" yet his article is so lacking in any actual information that it cannot have any value except to the most credulous of people. I'd also note that the author wrote many pro-pesticide articles while receiving money from pesticide companies. How can we know the same thing is not happening here?

flib
Sojourner

Postby flib » Thu May 22, 2008 5:09 pm

Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Thu May 22, 2008 5:37 pm

Much better! Of course, that article relies pretty heavily on a challenged theory.

At least it only sounded a little like an editorial...

teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Fri May 23, 2008 12:56 am

Sarvis wrote:Wow, that "article" felt about the same as reading one of Teffie's forum posts. Calling other papers "pathetic," using anecdotal evidence, and not providing any actual facts for his claim.

No, you're confusing my posts with YOUR posts. If you want to refute that, start posting links to my posts that call other papers pathetic and use only anecdotal evidence.

It's small. I've got a much bigger stack of your posts.
Latreg
Sojourner

Postby Latreg » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:26 pm

cows farting causes global warming too, but I'm not about to run around in fields with giant corks, and no Pril I don't have a link where you can buy giant corks so leave them cows alone.
Talona responds to your petition with 'Sweet, I fixed something!'
Talona LFG: [55 Evil Human Nec] 'Don't make me mud castrate you all.'
Some people are like slinkies, not really good for anything but you still cant help smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:58 pm

Latreg wrote:cows farting causes global warming too, but I'm not about to run around in fields with giant corks, and no Pril I don't have a link where you can buy giant corks so leave them cows alone.

Who needs a cork?. :P

Lathander
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Lathander » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:28 am

Hey, we may need to change the title of this thread to what Liberals are using now. Global Warming is out and Global Climate Change is in. Good story about how the Sun has affected the climate in the past. It's odd that its hotter when the sun is high in the sky and cooler when the Sun isn't up. Guess the Sun does affect the climate...

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=12823
Raiwen
Sojourner

Postby Raiwen » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:08 pm

next you'll be saying that we should get rid of dihydrogen monoxide because:

• is called "hydroxyl acid", the substance is the major component of acid rain.
  • contributes to the "greenhouse effect".
  • may cause severe burns.
  • contributes to the erosion of our natural landscape.
  • accelerates corrosion and rusting of many metals.
  • may cause electrical failures and decreased effectiveness of automobile brakes.
  • has been found in excised tumors of terminal cancer patients.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:30 pm

Damn the Daily Tech, that liberal rag!
- Ragorn
avak
Sojourner

Postby avak » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:51 pm

Global Warming is a term that was mostly pushed by the media many decades ago. First usage of 'global warming' was 1969. It is also an indication of the evolution of the science around global climate dynamics...kind of the same way 'advances' in physics or computer engineering are referred to as 'advances' not 'media spin by ideological camps trying to disguise flaws in their psuedo-science.'

This explanation from the uber-liberal Bush-era EPA:

The term climate change is often used interchangeably with the term global warming, but according to the National Academy of Sciences, "the phrase 'climate change' is growing in preferred use to 'global warming' because it helps convey that there are [other] changes in addition to rising temperatures."

Climate change refers to any significant change in measures of climate (such as temperature, precipitation, or wind) lasting for an extended period (decades or longer). Climate change may result from:

* natural factors, such as changes in the sun's intensity or slow changes in the Earth's orbit around the sun;
* natural processes within the climate system (e.g. changes in ocean circulation);
* human activities that change the atmosphere's composition (e.g. through burning fossil fuels) and the land surface (e.g. deforestation, reforestation, urbanization, desertification, etc.)

Global warming is an average increase in the temperature of the atmosphere near the Earth's surface and in the troposphere, which can contribute to changes in global climate patterns. Global warming can occur from a variety of causes, both natural and human induced. In common usage, "global warming" often refers to the warming that can occur as a result of increased emissions of greenhouse gases from human activities.

Raiwen, that's a cute joke, but totally 1996.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:11 pm

Raiwen wrote:next you'll be saying that we should get rid of dihydrogen monoxide because:

• is called "hydroxyl acid", the substance is the major component of acid rain.
  • contributes to the "greenhouse effect".
  • may cause severe burns.
  • contributes to the erosion of our natural landscape.
  • accelerates corrosion and rusting of many metals.
  • may cause electrical failures and decreased effectiveness of automobile brakes.
  • has been found in excised tumors of terminal cancer patients.

How well do you think it would work if we actually _created_ thousands of gallons more h2o on a daily basis?

Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:16 pm

With cap and trade legislation about to be passed in the Congress, I thought that this was a timely article. Interesting that global warming skepticism is increasing in Europe and elsewhere, and decreasing in the US.

Disclaimer: I don't understand the science behind global warming and have no real opinion on the subject other than the fact that I am generally skeptical of major leftist causes.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:31 pm

Anything that cleans up or produces less waste is never a bad thing. While I'm not a "true believer" in global-warming, I'm not that much of a skeptic either. The problem isn't that important for me to research as even if it isn't true, not raping the earth is always a good thing. Not breathing in more waste from the air is a good thing. Finding alternative fuels to loosen the stranglehold from foreign oil producing countries is a good thing. So, even if global-warming turns out to be a myth, the ends justified the means.

Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:24 am

Unfortunately thats a very simplistic way of looking at things Kifle. In the abstract it might not be a good thing to 'rape the earth'. But when you get into it, green policies have enormous economic costs. If they are really preventing some harm then they may be justified. If there is no real harm, then its having the very concrete effect of lowering a lot of people's standard of living for no good reason.

Goddamned slippery mage.

Return to “T2 General Discussion Archive”