Rainbow kisses and dogs chasing their own tail

Life, the universe, and everything.
Forum rules
- No personal attacks against players or staff members - please be civil!
- No posting of mature images/links, keep content SFW. If it's NSFW, don't post it on these forums.
Inames
Sojourner
Posts: 177
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:27 am

Re: Rainbow kisses and dogs chasing their own tail

Postby Inames » Wed May 14, 2008 9:36 pm

wooo long thread, to point out kifle, i did not complain about it nor did i have a problem with it, simple joke no damage done. the end.

shar, to claim that that thread was an attack on a player... how does it differe from the 1000 reasons pava sucks thread? just cuz its a picture proving what was said and done? if he would have copied the text instead of screenshotting it there would have been no problem? not to mention i posted in the thread laughing... thus implying i had no problem with it...

and IMO you shouldnt take down a thread of a suspected player attack until the player has seen it and deemed it offensive to them, perhaps send a PM or try contact in-game before deleting it and wait a day or 2 before deleting it if they dont get back to you...
[Dru 50] Inames (Grey Elf)
[Rog 50] Ishiras (Grey Elf)
[Enc 50] Aremat (Grey Elf)
[War 50] Amori (Grey Elf)
[Ran 50] Aninen (Grey Elf)
[Ele 50] Itanul (Grey Elf)
[Inv 50] Aleadis (Grey Elf)
[Bar 50] Ashire (Grey Elf)
[Cle 50] Isila (Grey Elf)
My Deviant Art Page
Pril
Sojourner
Posts: 1834
Joined: Sat May 11, 2002 5:01 am

Re: Rainbow kisses and dogs chasing their own tail

Postby Pril » Wed May 14, 2008 9:47 pm

I have a serious question for Corth/Sarvis/Inames/Gormal/Kifle etc. Who are you talking to at this point? Shev said he's not dealing with it. Shar said she's not dealing with it. You hoping to get Cyric's attention? Honestly it's not worth it while a lot of the posts in this thread were silly i think the fact that all Shev took out of Kifle's post was they "feign diplomacy" part shows that you're really just ruining your keyboards typing this stuff. Kifle did a good job summarizing the general questions of this thread in 4 points that should of been easy to answer. If Shev and Shar can't or won't do that than you're just beating a dead horse.

Mike
The best of WTF statments of '06
--------------------------------------------------------
Danila group-says 'afk, machine gun in backyard started shooting cats'
Danila group-says 'afk a sec, 3 horned monkeys trying to steal hose'
Danila group-says 'afk, koala bear trying to mount my car'
Corth
Sojourner
Posts: 6002
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2001 6:01 am
Location: NY, USA

Re: Rainbow kisses and dogs chasing their own tail

Postby Corth » Wed May 14, 2008 9:54 pm

Pril,

I basically agree with you. I think Ragorn also more or less echoed that sentiment as well.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Vigis
Sojourner
Posts: 865
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2001 6:01 am
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: Rainbow kisses and dogs chasing their own tail

Postby Vigis » Wed May 14, 2008 10:00 pm

I wonder, if we had this much drama in the game, would the pbase go up? I think it would.

I've been having a blast reading the forum with the new rules. It is the most entertaining thing I've come across regarding Toril in a long time.
Nerox tells you 'Good deal, the other tanks I have don't wanna do it, and since your my special suicidal tank i figure you don't mind one bit!'

Alurissi tells you 'aren't you susposed to get sick or something and not beable to make tia so i can go? :P'
Gormal
Sojourner
Posts: 3917
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2001 6:01 am
Location: A Whale's Vagina
Contact:

Re: Rainbow kisses and dogs chasing their own tail

Postby Gormal » Wed May 14, 2008 10:10 pm

They're still reading the thread at least so they can censor things. I consider what we're doing a public service to raise awareness about the people running the show.
Gormal
Sojourner
Posts: 3917
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2001 6:01 am
Location: A Whale's Vagina
Contact:

Re: Rainbow kisses and dogs chasing their own tail

Postby Gormal » Wed May 14, 2008 10:14 pm

Inames wrote:wooo long thread, to point out kifle, i did not complain about it nor did i have a problem with it, simple joke no damage done. the end.

shar, to claim that that thread was an attack on a player... how does it differe from the 1000 reasons pava sucks thread? just cuz its a picture proving what was said and done? if he would have copied the text instead of screenshotting it there would have been no problem? not to mention i posted in the thread laughing... thus implying i had no problem with it...

and IMO you shouldnt take down a thread of a suspected player attack until the player has seen it and deemed it offensive to them, perhaps send a PM or try contact in-game before deleting it and wait a day or 2 before deleting it if they dont get back to you...



This by the way proves that Shar's justification for deleting the thread was wrong. The thread was not an attack, it did not break any forum rules. All that frustration, Shev, and all you had to do was admit that Shar made a mistake at the beginning.
Corth
Sojourner
Posts: 6002
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2001 6:01 am
Location: NY, USA

Re: Rainbow kisses and dogs chasing their own tail

Postby Corth » Wed May 14, 2008 10:20 pm

All kidding aside, I really am curious now why that thread got deleted. If Inames had complained about it then at least there would be some reason for Shar's action, albeit a debateable one. The problem is, he didn't. This doesn't add up.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth



Goddamned slippery mage.
Ragorn
Sojourner
Posts: 4732
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2001 6:01 am

Re: Rainbow kisses and dogs chasing their own tail

Postby Ragorn » Wed May 14, 2008 10:52 pm

Because Shar defines what a personal attack is.. not the person being "attacked" apparently.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Gormal
Sojourner
Posts: 3917
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2001 6:01 am
Location: A Whale's Vagina
Contact:

Re: Rainbow kisses and dogs chasing their own tail

Postby Gormal » Wed May 14, 2008 11:01 pm

We can't risk upsetting anyone, now can we. This action prevented anyone from being offended or perturbed obviously.
avak
Sojourner
Posts: 672
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2003 6:01 am

Re: Rainbow kisses and dogs chasing their own tail

Postby avak » Wed May 14, 2008 11:13 pm

[lame joke removed]

Whoa...same joke in a different thread. I should read more thoroughly before trying to be funny.
Last edited by avak on Wed May 14, 2008 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corth
Sojourner
Posts: 6002
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2001 6:01 am
Location: NY, USA

Re: Rainbow kisses and dogs chasing their own tail

Postby Corth » Wed May 14, 2008 11:18 pm

Shar wrote:I stated that it was requested to be removed. Those who requested will remain anonymous unless they should choose to come forward.

I also stated that I removed the entire thread because it was an attack on a player.

This issue is not who intended what or whether it was offensive to some, it was an attack on a specific player who has been the target of many such attacks both in game and on these forums in the past. Flames or attacks against staff or players will not be tolerated.


Ragorn,

But she said that the action was taken as a result of an anonymous request regarding an attack upon a player who has previously been targeted. I don't think she is claiming that it was removed at her own behest. We know that the target of the 'attack' didn't request that it be removed. It still just doesn't add up. I'm not looking to cause trouble here or be a pain in the ass in any way. I just don't get it.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth



Goddamned slippery mage.
Shar
FORGER ADMIN
Posts: 791
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2001 6:01 am

Re: Rainbow kisses and dogs chasing their own tail

Postby Shar » Wed May 14, 2008 11:49 pm

Inames,

I'm glad that you posted directly. I'm glad you were able think the thread in question was funny. I'm glad that you have a sense of humor that allows you to find a personal jest non offensive. There are many other players/posters who do not.

I removed an attack against a player/poster on forums that I help moderate. How you or anyone else feels about that moderation, or how I chose to do it, is a personal thing. The staff also have personal feelings on the issue and on several others similar to it. We have removed/deleted several other "joking" attacks that have been potentially offensive and inflammatory and will continue to do so.

Everyone else,

Again, so it is clear, what I did was not meant as a personal affront to anyone. If it upset you, I apologize. I did it for reasons that I have stated three times now, all of which uphold the rules. None of those reasons are open to debate, but you can discuss it all you like. As indicated, the forum rules will be enforced thru all discussions. If you (meaning the collective, not the personal) disagree with or dislike my reasons for taking action, there is little I could ever do that would appease you or change your mind. I do not want to merely appease anyone and I don't need the extra responsibility that would come with trying to change the way someone thinks on an issue. I am not a politician and I won't pander to a vocal minority. You all have your opinions about this and I'm ok with that. If you aren't ok with me or the staff for having ours, there is nothing I can do to make you happy and I won't be pursuing the lost cause.

We have not been purposefully evasive and we have done the best to answer the questions posed. The definition of SFW is subjective. We do not operate on anyone elses set of rules and the "common sense" theme we have tried to promote has worked for most of our base. The 5-10 individuals who continually push the line appear to do so with full knowledge of what they do. Those of you who have no idea how a common sense rule works, will inevitably either learn by trial and error and will modify your behavior, or you will continue to bend the rules and eventually leave or be asked/forced to leave. The thought of outlining specifically what is and is not allowed overwhelms me. It has been tried before and failed, miserably. The possibilities are literally endless, thus, Shevarash has implemented the no illegal, pornographic or "mature audience only" content. Simple, concise and direct.

Obviously, this system, like all others, has flaws. We are not a Government with a system of checks and balances. We have each other. We are small and we care much more fully than a government could. We have pointed out the simpleness of the rules outlined above because a stronger, more fleshed out panel of rules did not work, was unenforceable and was continually needing to be changed and updated. We have a very small staff and, proportionately, a very active set of forums. It is hard to keep up, so a lose approach is best. Some might try to argue against it, but ever since we have tried a lighter form of moderation, the number of complaints from the dedicated reader has skyrocketed. We have lost more of those people than we could keep track of, while the vocal minority appeared to take over nearly every active thread, filling them with questionable material. It is with this in mind that we take into account every thread, every post, every poster, with a case by case mindset. Even if we had explicit rules that detailed what could and could not be posted down to the very smallest of the possible, we would still spend the majority of our available time moderating.

The discussion of *how* to moderate is not to be taken lightly. It is a topic taken very seriously. Personally, I feel I have limited ways to express to the many types of users that I am glad they are here, that they mean something to me, other than to try to do right by their majority, using moderative tools. This is what I strive for, and if some of you fall through the cracks, I'm sorry. I can only be so flexible. I can only do so much. The moderating staff is even smaller than the staff as a whole, and they are overworked by an overly confrontational few.

To those of you who understand the struggle, thank you for sticking around. To all others, I can only hope that eventually we can appreciate what the other has to offer without assuming too much. Both sides have valid points. Both sides are represented. Maybe now both sides can respect one another... but, maybe thats too much to ask for. If that is way out of my league, its still my hope, none the less.

This has been posted in a very last-ditch effort to communicate some of what has been going on. Admittedly, I have very little time to devote to moderation, and would rather spend that time doing just about anything else. I love this community, but I hate what it is becoming. I played my part in its arrival to this point, make no mistake... I realize it. Each person here should reevaluate exactly why they are here and what they hope to accomplish by posting. A thing I always try to remember before clicking submit is something my mother used to say- If you can't do it with a smile in your heart, chances are it isn't worth doing anyway. I've come to the point where I have to figure out if that smile is still in my heart or not. Is it for you?

Anyway, I won't be posting anything else about this subject, but it may benefit you to know that Shevy and I are *still* discussing how best to work these forums and that we haven't stopped discussing it since we updated. There really is quite a steep learning curve and we have a lot of questions to answer before we figure out what is best. Until then, please respect the current rules.
Shar - Forger Administrator, TorilMUD

Brandobaris : (51) [ would a forgotten realms zombie be interested in brains? ]

Shevarash tells you 'Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down..... groan'
Gormal
Sojourner
Posts: 3917
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2001 6:01 am
Location: A Whale's Vagina
Contact:

Re: Rainbow kisses and dogs chasing their own tail

Postby Gormal » Wed May 14, 2008 11:58 pm

We just proved that it was not an attack. What part of this are you not getting? You originally stated that people complained and that was the compelling reason for you deleting the thread, people questioned why uninvolved parties could have a say when Inames himself wasn't angry and you keep ignoring it. I get the feeling that people are reporting posts just because they know you're going to take action against people like me. Do you really think that there aren't people out there who dislike me and would try to report my stuff just to get back at me?

Inames posted in this thread because I did what you were unwilling to do: communicate with people. Also, I do feel affronted that you label some of us as the vocal minority. Why do you so quickly assume that people who don't post in support of us agree with you? Many people are afraid of reprisal from the staff in the form of unfair treatment and choose to stay silent. Some of the staff have even communicated with me that they disagree with you but can't speak out because they have to support you. This thread is proof that you treat players unfairly by using a different rulebook for different groups of players.

Everything was running fine on the forums until the rule changes, why can you not see that you are the ones who creating the problem?


(Edited to expand on my thoughts.)
Last edited by Gormal on Thu May 15, 2008 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Teyaha
Sojourner
Posts: 1085
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2001 5:01 am

Re: Rainbow kisses and dogs chasing their own tail

Postby Teyaha » Wed May 14, 2008 11:59 pm

it's pretty obvious reading the last two pages that a few people think it's funny to push the boundries of the forum rules, and then get upset when the moderators call them on it.

i dont understand this.

i dont see what ragorn did wrong - i can see however that shev and shar were prob in a mood and what he posted just pushed their last button. that happens and i'm sure they will resolve it privately.

what i think is ridiculous is the fact that any flaming thread, in jest or not, simply violated a big red line of text on the top of everything in this particular forum - NO PERSONAL ATTACKS.

it has gotten to the point that we can not police ourselves. there is too much mock-sarcasm, too much bitterness, too many rivalries and too many big egos. shar has decided to take a straight blanket approach.

i am not going to air my opinion on either, but it's readily apparant we have a few who are trying to buck the rules or think they dont apply to them. hell i've been very virulent in some of my responses even since the board wipe havent I? yet i have no warnings. i want those of you who can see what i post to think about that for a minute - teyaha has no warnings from staff about posting.

the only times i h ave ever flown off the handle on these boards is after someone has personally attacked me. now i just report those threads that are trolling in vain effort to insult me further, or anything that straight up is a flame.

this board in particular needs to be cleaned up. you CAN be civil. we have been civil in all types of topics on these boards including most recently the AoC and fuel costs thread.

realize the following:

1) unless your target knows you in real life, they will not be able to discern any type of text-based sarcasm unless you specificly state it is sarcasm. sarcasm is as much about tone as about content

2) shev and shar have dropped the hammer so stop trying to buck the system. as much as i may feel people have a right to say their piece, it can be done without being insulting.

again i'm not taking any side in what happened to whatever thread was deleted. i didnt even get to see it. but i dont see how insulting shev or shar will help anyone's case, and pushing them further when they are clearly upset will only make it worse. you've all had days when you are extremely pissed about something, someone tries to play with you and it just makes you even more mad. i think we are at that point now.
it's also time for some of you to hash this out in pm's.
Teyaha
Sojourner
Posts: 1085
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2001 5:01 am

Re: Rainbow kisses and dogs chasing their own tail

Postby Teyaha » Thu May 15, 2008 12:05 am

Gormal wrote:We just proved that it was not an attack. What part of this are you not getting?


and what part of...

Shar wrote:
Anyway, I won't be posting anything else about this subject, but it may benefit you to know that Shevy and I are *still* discussing how best to work these forums and that we haven't stopped discussing it since we updated. There really is quite a steep learning curve and we have a lot of questions to answer before we figure out what is best. Until then, please respect the current rules.


are you not getting?

apparantly the mods felt the thread that was deleted violated the 'no personal attacks' rule. whether or not it was in jest is irrelevent because, again, you can NOT discern sarcasm in text and quite frankly if it came from some of the recent virulent posters on this subject there is no reason at all for shar to have to err on the side of it being in jest.

they are still discussing it, but until they make a final decision the current rules stand. say your pieces to the subject, but do it without resorting to pettiness. you CAN do it, you've all done it before.
Inames
Sojourner
Posts: 177
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:27 am

Re: Rainbow kisses and dogs chasing their own tail

Postby Inames » Thu May 15, 2008 12:21 am

what i think you fail to see teyaha is that people also get offended that their posts are getting deleted by admin personal ideas alone. "I" the subject of the "claimed" attack had no problem with the post and believe that it was taken down in error, and -I am offended- that someone would butt into something that doesnt concern them and report the thread when by my -not- saying that i disliked it when i posted clearly showed that i didnt take it as an attack....

for those curious as to what the thread was about,

I had added gormal on icq and we started talking, he made referances to the size of the text being "compensation" for "small"ities if you know what i mean... he then screenshotted the start of the conversation and posted it with a short message describing his joke.

personally i believe that if he would have coppied the text rather than screenshot it and posted the text in the thread, this wouldnt have even happened because then it would have been no different than the other joke threads which i have already stated to be like the 1000 reasons pava sucks thread

I agree that the gods deleted the post in error and need to correct the issue without trying to save their asses.

Shar i appologize, i think you do your job well and i hold nothing against you for deleting it, but i believe you were wrong in doing so and i think you should realize that as well
[Dru 50] Inames (Grey Elf)
[Rog 50] Ishiras (Grey Elf)
[Enc 50] Aremat (Grey Elf)
[War 50] Amori (Grey Elf)
[Ran 50] Aninen (Grey Elf)
[Ele 50] Itanul (Grey Elf)
[Inv 50] Aleadis (Grey Elf)
[Bar 50] Ashire (Grey Elf)
[Cle 50] Isila (Grey Elf)
My Deviant Art Page
Teyaha
Sojourner
Posts: 1085
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2001 5:01 am

Re: Rainbow kisses and dogs chasing their own tail

Postby Teyaha » Thu May 15, 2008 12:35 am

Inames wrote:what i think you fail to see teyaha is that people also get offended that their posts are getting deleted by admin personal ideas alone. "I" the subject of the "claimed" attack had no problem with the post and believe that it was taken down in error, and -I am offended- that someone would butt into something that doesnt concern them and report the thread when by my -not- saying that i disliked it when i posted clearly showed that i didnt take it as an attack....


i can understand this point of view and may or may not agree with it (again keeping my personal opinions on the right or wrongness of it out), but it appears any attack whether in jest or not is being considered a violation of the "No personal attacks against players or staff members - please be civil!" red text on top

perhaps you can ask the admins to re-instate it, or flip you a copy of it, but clearly they are deciding to err on the side of caution with everything nowadays and it serves no purpose for a handful of vocal contributers to push the boundries (sp?).

the fact it was in jest isnt lost on shar or shev, they responded to someone complaining about the content of the thread and acted on it. i didnt get to see it so i dont know if it was the original post or something else more down the line that was the subject of the objection and i doubt they will tell us specifics. but constantly badgering the both of them on th is subject may force an inevitable final decision - to remove all but the gameplay discussion boards entirely. i dont think either party wants this to happen, and i think both parties need to take a break and re-examine their priorities
Teyaha
Sojourner
Posts: 1085
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2001 5:01 am

Re: Rainbow kisses and dogs chasing their own tail

Postby Teyaha » Thu May 15, 2008 12:40 am

Gormal wrote: You originally stated that people complained and that was the compelling reason for you deleting the thread, people questioned why uninvolved parties could have a say when Inames himself wasn't angry and you keep ignoring it.



this was added by gormal later

um..ANYONE who opens and reads a thread is an involved party. lets not try to split hairs here.
Vigis
Sojourner
Posts: 865
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2001 6:01 am
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: Rainbow kisses and dogs chasing their own tail

Postby Vigis » Thu May 15, 2008 12:55 am

You know, I don't have a single person on my foes list but I'm starting to think of adding a couple. I come here because of the verbal jousting. I LIKE the sly witticisms and even some of the flaming, I especially like the baiting.

I read these boards because I appreciate the humor, I like the jabs and ripostes. That is why I will wade through 20 posts about why Teflor is right and you are wrong; I want to see the interaction.

I stopped being an active poster quite some time ago for a couple of different reasons. Reason #1 you can't reason with some people here. Reason #2 I got two warnings racked up against me for starting threads that "invited flaming."

Apparently, only some people can tell you what you think is funny and what you think should not be funny. God forbid we don't click on a link that offends us. It has started to become like a homeowners association around here http://www.theonion.com/content/node/33616

From the Article:
"Refuse containers not in use must be stored inside or behind the house and must not be visible from the street. Only garbage cans with lids or strong plastic garbage bags may be used and may not be placed curbside before dusk the night before pick-up"?


It has been my experience that the "vocal minority" are only vocal in private. Sure, they'll bitch and complain about each other when they have you one on one (trust me, my employees do it all the time) but they sure as hell won't do it somewhere that they can be called on it. Calling the people who are upset with the policy the "vocal minority" is just not accurate. What do you call me, the "silent minority"?
Nerox tells you 'Good deal, the other tanks I have don't wanna do it, and since your my special suicidal tank i figure you don't mind one bit!'



Alurissi tells you 'aren't you susposed to get sick or something and not beable to make tia so i can go? :P'
Inames
Sojourner
Posts: 177
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:27 am

Re: Rainbow kisses and dogs chasing their own tail

Postby Inames » Thu May 15, 2008 12:56 am

No personal attacks-

I ask you, what is a "personal attack" ?

lets look at the word "personal"

in referance to a verbal attack, personal would mean directed at a person for reasons that are behind the scenes between two or more individuals.

now lets look at the word "attack"

in any situation attack would mean to verbally, physically, or mentally harm someone with full intent to do so.

because the joke was a "joke" it was not intended to harm anyone in any way, therefor it cannot be labeled as "attack" and without attack, you only have "personal" so how is this a "personal attack" when there is no "attack"?
[Dru 50] Inames (Grey Elf)
[Rog 50] Ishiras (Grey Elf)
[Enc 50] Aremat (Grey Elf)
[War 50] Amori (Grey Elf)
[Ran 50] Aninen (Grey Elf)
[Ele 50] Itanul (Grey Elf)
[Inv 50] Aleadis (Grey Elf)
[Bar 50] Ashire (Grey Elf)
[Cle 50] Isila (Grey Elf)
My Deviant Art Page
Corth
Sojourner
Posts: 6002
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2001 6:01 am
Location: NY, USA

Re: Rainbow kisses and dogs chasing their own tail

Postby Corth » Thu May 15, 2008 2:08 am

Heh, this is garbage. Shar clearly lied when she said that the thread was deleted as a result of an anonymous complaint. Shev and his wife have presided over the decline of a once proud mud, and apparently most of their attention is focused on ruining whats left of the forum community. I think we're just dealing with a lack of intelligence here. Thats about it.

And Teyaha isn't helping with that problem.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth



Goddamned slippery mage.
User avatar
Shevarash
FORGER CODER
Posts: 2944
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2000 6:01 am

Re: Rainbow kisses and dogs chasing their own tail

Postby Shevarash » Thu May 15, 2008 4:10 am

A lack of intelligence? You know, I may disagree with you, but I haven't ever called you stupid or insulted you personally. I also haven't called you a liar. You can think whatever you want, but we did not lie about receiving that complaint and I don't appreciate your baseless accusation.
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
teflor the ranger
Sojourner
Posts: 3923
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2002 5:01 am
Location: Waterdeep

Re: Rainbow kisses and dogs chasing their own tail

Postby teflor the ranger » Thu May 15, 2008 4:48 am

It's obvious the old enforcement hasn't worked, seeing as how these four *bbs users* are practically the only ones left.

I agree with the new moderation. I suggest furthermore, that the imms don't even bother to respond, but just delete posts.
Teflor does. Teflor does not.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner
Posts: 3923
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2002 5:01 am
Location: Waterdeep

Re: Rainbow kisses and dogs chasing their own tail

Postby teflor the ranger » Thu May 15, 2008 4:51 am

Inames wrote:No personal attacks-

I ask you, what is a "personal attack" ?

lets look at the word "personal"

in referance to a verbal attack, personal would mean directed at a person for reasons that are behind the scenes between two or more individuals.

now lets look at the word "attack"

in any situation attack would mean to verbally, physically, or mentally harm someone with full intent to do so.

because the joke was a "joke" it was not intended to harm anyone in any way, therefor it cannot be labeled as "attack" and without attack, you only have "personal" so how is this a "personal attack" when there is no "attack"?


You know, there was a time that rape of minority females was considered a joke. I don't think you would understand what is being done with the current moderation.
Teflor does. Teflor does not.
Gormal
Sojourner
Posts: 3917
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2001 6:01 am
Location: A Whale's Vagina
Contact:

Re: Rainbow kisses and dogs chasing their own tail

Postby Gormal » Thu May 15, 2008 6:25 am

Shevarash wrote:A lack of intelligence? You know, I may disagree with you, but I haven't ever called you stupid or insulted you personally. I also haven't called you a liar. You can think whatever you want, but we did not lie about receiving that complaint and I don't appreciate your baseless accusation.


Then answer the multiple questions of how someone not involved in what both involved parties agree is a funny joke can take offense. How do you justify my harmless joke as an attack?

Edit: I challenge the person or people who were offended to post in this thread. I honestly want to know why you were offended. I'd also like a mod to verify whether or not someone who admits to reporting the thread actually did it. If Teflor or Teyaha want to admit to it, mwrite me in game because I'm not taking you off of ignore.
Teyaha
Sojourner
Posts: 1085
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2001 5:01 am

Re: Rainbow kisses and dogs chasing their own tail

Postby Teyaha » Thu May 15, 2008 7:06 am

i didnt even see the thread in question. wouldnt even know it existed if it wasnt for gormals' post that shev insta-locked
Gormal
Sojourner
Posts: 3917
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2001 6:01 am
Location: A Whale's Vagina
Contact:

Re: Rainbow kisses and dogs chasing their own tail

Postby Gormal » Thu May 15, 2008 8:02 am

I think that the entire mod response can be summed up in this Shar rebuttle:

Shar wrote:Not to use your above argument against you, but you can play sematics all you want and pretend that certain rules haven't been in place, but you are fully aware of them currently, and you have been asked before on different occassion(s) to modify your behavior to fit within the rules. From the time we reformatted the forums, I haven't ever stated that the policies were 100% the same as they were previously. As a matter of fact, we have said that we are starting fresh with the new version of PHP. Certain of the rules we have now have also been in place for years, aka standing. I stated earlier in this thread we will be enforcing those rules, old or new, starting now. We are trying to limit our on again-off again style of moderation.


Bonus points if you can find all of the contradictions.
Gormal
Sojourner
Posts: 3917
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2001 6:01 am
Location: A Whale's Vagina
Contact:

Re: Rainbow kisses and dogs chasing their own tail

Postby Gormal » Thu May 15, 2008 8:20 am

Another snippet:

Shevarash: I'm open to more discussion on the subject.

Shar: This particular issue is not up for review. If Shevarash has stated we could discuss things about this thread in another, I don't see where he said that.

Shar: ...I'm stating a fact that the forum rules are not up for debate... Isn't that what we were discussing?.
Botef
Sojourner
Posts: 1056
Joined: Fri May 10, 2002 5:01 am
Location: Eastern Washington
Contact:

Re: Rainbow kisses and dogs chasing their own tail

Postby Botef » Thu May 15, 2008 2:27 pm

While I may not agree with censorship and moderation on all levels, is it so much to ask to just have 'offensive' material snipped without deleting entire threads worth of stuff?

I find that kind of blackout censorship pretty unnerving as it is a slap in the face to anyone who has something to say. There isn't much point in even typing out your thoughts if the actions of one poster is enough to have everything removed. I also don't like coming back and spending a great deal of time wondering where the heck a thread went. This isn't in regards to the Inames thread, its the thread on the state of the mud, and numerous other threads - the threads with legitimate concerns from players that just up and disappear because of the decisions of a few players. I know it can be tedious to snip out bits and pieces but your shooting yourself in the foot deleting anything and everything the moment someone violates a rule.
Sunamit group-says 'imrex west, tibek backstab touk i think his name is on entry'
// Post Count +1
Sarvis
Sojourner
Posts: 6369
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2001 6:01 am
Location: Buffalo, NY, USA
Contact:

Re: Rainbow kisses and dogs chasing their own tail

Postby Sarvis » Thu May 15, 2008 2:44 pm

Yeah, it's kind of funny that a few weeks ago I looked crazy for bitching about censorship on the forums, and now every other thread is getting deleted for "offensive" content.
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Teyaha
Sojourner
Posts: 1085
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2001 5:01 am

Re: Rainbow kisses and dogs chasing their own tail

Postby Teyaha » Thu May 15, 2008 5:14 pm

Botef wrote:While I may not agree with censorship and moderation on all levels, is it so much to ask to just have 'offensive' material snipped without deleting entire threads worth of stuff?

I find that kind of blackout censorship pretty unnerving as it is a slap in the face to anyone who has something to say. There isn't much point in even typing out your thoughts if the actions of one poster is enough to have everything removed. I also don't like coming back and spending a great deal of time wondering where the heck a thread went. This isn't in regards to the Inames thread, its the thread on the state of the mud, and numerous other threads - the threads with legitimate concerns from players that just up and disappear because of the decisions of a few players. I know it can be tedious to snip out bits and pieces but your shooting yourself in the foot deleting anything and everything the moment someone violates a rule.



good point botef. maybe they should just lock the threads but keep them visible. then if involved parties want to start a new thread to discuss the why, they can while still having the original to pull from and outside observors to have a frame of reference. anything truly obscene is just moderated out.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner
Posts: 3923
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2002 5:01 am
Location: Waterdeep

Re: Rainbow kisses and dogs chasing their own tail

Postby teflor the ranger » Fri May 16, 2008 12:26 am

Sarvis wrote:Yeah, it's kind of funny that a few weeks ago I looked crazy for bitching about censorship on the forums, and now every other thread is getting deleted for "offensive" content.

Funny how some people purposefully posted offensive content afterwards because they're just that kind of people.
Teflor does. Teflor does not.
Corth
Sojourner
Posts: 6002
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2001 6:01 am
Location: NY, USA

Re: Rainbow kisses and dogs chasing their own tail

Postby Corth » Sat May 17, 2008 2:50 am

I'm going to try and put this thread back onto its original topic. This pic goes out to Shev.

Image
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth



Goddamned slippery mage.
Kifle
Sojourner
Posts: 3830
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2002 6:01 am
Location: Huntington, IN USA
Contact:

Re: Rainbow kisses and dogs chasing their own tail

Postby Kifle » Sat May 17, 2008 6:43 am

Nice horse v2.0. It's a nice upgrade from the original.

P.s.
I really do love you shev.
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
Thilindel
Sojourner
Posts: 3173
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 9:09 pm
Location: Indianapolis

Re: Rainbow kisses and dogs chasing their own tail

Postby Thilindel » Sat May 17, 2008 12:21 pm

Hehe, Corth's other topic is deleted..again. Guess he got himself banned!
Grundar tells you 'I took on the entire football team once. The only reason my mom knew later was because I had a runny nose'
Corth
Sojourner
Posts: 6002
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2001 6:01 am
Location: NY, USA

Re: Rainbow kisses and dogs chasing their own tail

Postby Corth » Sat May 17, 2008 2:54 pm

No, I abide by all BBS rules. It wasn't explained in the "Forum Rules" that we aren't allowed to discuss Unicorns in the Toril 2.0 Q&A thread. Now that I am aware, I certainly won't make any such reference in that thread.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth



Goddamned slippery mage.
Yasden
Sojourner
Posts: 1597
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2001 6:01 am
Location: Lake Stevens, WA, USA

Re: Rainbow kisses and dogs chasing their own tail

Postby Yasden » Sun May 18, 2008 10:01 pm

Image
Support Your Addiction! Vote for TorilMUD Today!

Top Mud Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=shev

Why Nerox is jealous of me:

Nerox tells you 'man this thing is kicking my ass and i have blisters!'
Nerox tells you 'ok attempting it again put tape on my fingers for easier sliding'
ssar
Sojourner
Posts: 1446
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2001 6:01 am
Location: Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Contact:

Re: Rainbow kisses and dogs chasing their own tail

Postby ssar » Tue May 20, 2008 1:28 pm

Image
ssar
Sojourner
Posts: 1446
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2001 6:01 am
Location: Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Contact:

Re: Rainbow kisses and dogs chasing their own tail

Postby ssar » Tue May 20, 2008 1:30 pm

Image
BEER
Corth
Sojourner
Posts: 6002
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2001 6:01 am
Location: NY, USA

Re: Rainbow kisses and dogs chasing their own tail

Postby Corth » Tue May 20, 2008 8:31 pm

Ok ssar, we get it. Americans are idiots. Can we move on already?
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth



Goddamned slippery mage.
Sarvis
Sojourner
Posts: 6369
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2001 6:01 am
Location: Buffalo, NY, USA
Contact:

Re: Rainbow kisses and dogs chasing their own tail

Postby Sarvis » Tue May 20, 2008 8:48 pm

Actually, I thought the second one was kind of funny.

The first one only makes fun of rednecks, so I'm ok with that too. :P
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire

Return to “T2 General Discussion Archive”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests