GPA

Life, the universe, and everything.
Forum rules
- No personal attacks against players or staff members - please be civil!
- No posting of mature images/links, keep content SFW. If it's NSFW, don't post it on these forums.
Kifle
Sojourner

GPA

Postby Kifle » Tue May 13, 2008 10:02 am

Is there much difference between a 2.9 and a 3.0 in many people's eyes (job, grad school)? I could defer graduation until the end of summer and I'd only have to get a B and a C in two courses to get a 3.0. I know many schools have a minimum of 3.0 stated on their sites, but how stingent are they on this score? I know a lot of you have gone on to law school/grad school and also are in the job world post college, so what are some of your experiences in this (co-workers, etc.)? If I took my deploma on Wed., I would get a 2.9 overall with a 3.6 major gpa... is this good enough or should I toss down the extra 1.4k and graduate in another 3 months?
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
Shar
FORGER ADMIN

Re: GPA

Postby Shar » Tue May 13, 2008 1:48 pm

My sister just got accepted into one graduate program while at the same time was declined for another. She has a 4.0 and has *many* other things going for her. Long story short, I'd suppose it has everything to do with the field and who's on the board more than it does the GPA or the person, but if you can manage to raise your 2.9 to a 3.0, you should do it. The statistics that represent you need to be as spiffy as you can make them, especially if you are competing for a spot.

Good luck to you, Kifle! :)
Shar - Forger Administrator, TorilMUD

Brandobaris : (51) [ would a forgotten realms zombie be interested in brains? ]

Shevarash tells you 'Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down..... groan'
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Tue May 13, 2008 1:55 pm

For what its worth...

I had something like a 2.7 GPA in college (cause of this place). I was able to translate that into a pretty good law school (with scholarship), by banging out a 169 on the LSAT. Keep in mind this was during the dot com mania and all the best and brightest were being paid bonuses to sign up with now defunct corps that never made a dime. There was a lot less competition at the time for law schools.

My feeling is anything less than 3.5 is unimpressive. It seems like a high GPA, but go to any college graduation ceremony and listen for all the people graduating some variation of 'cum laude', and you will see how non-scarce it is. Really, almost anyone of average intelligence can graduate college with a 3.0 with minimal effort. Especially in the easier majors like liberal arts, education, etc.

There is a huge psychological difference between 2.9 and 3.0. But its kind of like the difference between 'crappy student', and 'on the cusp of average'. Not sure what kind of difference it will make for you with regard to trying to get into a graduate program.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Tue May 13, 2008 1:58 pm

Corth wrote:For what its worth...

I had something like a 2.7 GPA in college (cause of this place).

Grasshopper!
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
jalahin
Sojourner

Postby jalahin » Tue May 13, 2008 2:54 pm

I think it depends on if you can explain your gpa in a personal statement or on the application itself. If you started out with little momentum, but gained focus throughout your collegiate career, then I would emphasize the 3.6 in-major gpa, as these are classes most usually take later on, and attribute the increase in your gpa (assuming that it is nice and linear) to "learning the game."

Personally, either way, I don't see investing another 3 months and 1.4k as something that will really enhance your marketability. I spent another 3 months after getting my first degree finishing a double major. I'm really not sure if it has any worth other than the extra $$ I paid for it, and, in retrospect, I would have much rather enjoyed some free time before heading directly to law school :). Good luck man!

Return to “T2 General Discussion Archive”