Serious Network/Lag Issues

Life, the universe, and everything.
Forum rules
- No personal attacks against players or staff members - please be civil!
- No posting of mature images/links, keep content SFW. If it's NSFW, don't post it on these forums.
Gormal
Sojourner
Posts: 3917
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2001 6:01 am
Location: A Whale's Vagina
Contact:

Serious Network/Lag Issues

Postby Gormal » Wed May 21, 2008 7:38 am

I will pay you via PayPal if you can solve my apartment's current dillemea. My roomate has complained of horrendous lag for weeks, but since I moved in haven't experienced any of note until last night. Since then, I'm living in ISP hell with constant disconnects, huge bouts of lag, and generally poor speeds. We have Cox cable which is shitty, but never THIS shitty so I'm at a loss. I've tried unplugging all but 2 computers, leaving consoles on, opening/closing various programs, anything I can think of. Aside from random local network issues related to cable, what could possibly be crippling my connection?

I was on vent tonight with Dartan and disconnected at least a dozen times. This has never happened to me before, and I'm at a complete loss on how to troubleshoot it. Calling Cox is never a good solution since those retards will only tell me to unplug my modem and other stupid shit, so I turn to you nerds in the hope that one of you has some insight. With my luck, Teflor and Teyaha will know exactly what to do and I'll be forever trapped in a web of terrible connectivity.
Corth
Sojourner
Posts: 6002
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2001 6:01 am
Location: NY, USA

Re: Serious Network/Lag Issues

Postby Corth » Wed May 21, 2008 8:43 am

Heres my non-geek amateur attempt to troubleshoot. I would try hooking up a computer directly to the cable modem and bypass the whole local network. If you still have lag its either a cable modem problem or a problem with cox's network. If everything runs ok, then try swapping stuff out on the local side of things. Try a new router, new ethernet cable, etc. Start by connecting one computer, then then next, then the next. Try and nail down exactly when the problem starts.

If everything still works properly at that point, I would begin troubleshooting specific software applications. Start with one computer, and just add one software application at a time. If you determine the lag only occurs when your mud client is connected to toril, it could be shev sending death beams at your computer. This is likely if you angered him by referring to unicorns in official toril 2.0 threads. Otherwise, he is not likely to go out of his way to get you. Keep troubleshooting different software applications until you hopefully figure it out.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Kifle
Sojourner
Posts: 3830
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2002 6:01 am
Location: Huntington, IN USA
Contact:

Re: Serious Network/Lag Issues

Postby Kifle » Wed May 21, 2008 10:53 am

Yeah, I'd go with Corth's suggestion. Naming unicorns around here is dangerous.

Seriously though, Corth's direct-connect trouble-shooting is a good idea. It would be nice, however, if you told us what you guys were running. Wireless, hard-wired (using usb or ethernet?), router type, modem type, etc. See if your torrent programs are running in the background at start-up (I've had azureus do this to me often and it kills my connection). Also, how many people share this connection and is this a constant loss of internet for everyone? Can you explain the situation a bit better?

Another thing to check is virii... one computer could completely cripple your connection if it had the right (wrong) worm/virus on it. I would go so far as to direct connect with every computer you guys have connected to the network and see which is the culprit if direct connect works on one of the random computers.

There's a lot of things that could be killing your connection. The most likely problems are stolen bandwidth (wireless), faulty router, or faulty modem (if everything was running fine before), or bad router settings. The only way to check the modem would be to call your cable company (as far as I know). So, check your router and answer some of those questions in paragraph 1 and we'll see what's happening. Also, keep your fucking money.

Edit: Faulty wifi card or NIC card will kill you as well, but it's less likely that both of you are experiencing network failure from this problem unless you've had a nasty power surge w/o protection. If you want to discuss this on aim, I'll pm you my SN.
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
Gormal
Sojourner
Posts: 3917
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2001 6:01 am
Location: A Whale's Vagina
Contact:

Re: Serious Network/Lag Issues

Postby Gormal » Wed May 21, 2008 3:43 pm

There was a power surge the other day but it didn't hit the outlets our modem/router uses as far as I know. (Roomate that just moved out doesn't understand how wattage and lightbulbs work). The last time I tried to connect this computer directly to the modem, it demanded that I give it the password when there was no password. I think I figured out I had to call Cox at that point and just gave up, since I hate dealing with them almost as much I hate reading Teflor/Teyaha posts.
Sarvis
Sojourner
Posts: 6369
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2001 6:01 am
Location: Buffalo, NY, USA
Contact:

Re: Serious Network/Lag Issues

Postby Sarvis » Wed May 21, 2008 3:55 pm

There can be a password, I know I used to have one with Verizon. It's probably configured in your router and that's why you don't need to worry about it.

You could do a tracert and see if that times out anywhere, if it's the first hop your router or cablemodem is probably the culprit.

Have you tried a virus/spyware scan? I'm wondering if something like that could be tying up your connection. Should check all computers connecting to the net, as the upstream can get clogged and really degrade your service. (My roomate used to run an FTP server and max out our upstream, which typically led to a 5 second response time when mudding...)
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Teyaha
Sojourner
Posts: 1085
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2001 5:01 am

Re: Serious Network/Lag Issues

Postby Teyaha » Wed May 21, 2008 5:09 pm

if you do a direct connect and the problem is there, and your tracert's are clean for the most part (go download pingplotter) there's a good possiblity your ethernet or wifi cards are shot

my last rig came with a fancy NIC ethernet card that acted this same way. turned out the card itself was defective.

however if you and your buddy are having the same issue on all of the machines, my vote is on either a) a dead or dy ing router or b) a dead or dying modem


too bad you cant see this
Yasden
Sojourner
Posts: 1597
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2001 6:01 am
Location: Lake Stevens, WA, USA

Re: Serious Network/Lag Issues

Postby Yasden » Wed May 21, 2008 7:07 pm

You guys are completely shooting too far above and beyond the situation. Here's why.

If he's on cable, there's a really strong chance the cable itself is completely f'd, based on what I've red. If the entire building seems to be suffering, it's more of a likelihood than anything else. Some tard could've put a staple through a line somewhere near the main box when running a split line, water could've gotten into a jack outside, anything really. A signal check needs to be run over the line to see if it's losing/gaining ohms, which would indicate a short somewhere in the line. If it is there, it is the landlord/building's responsibility (they are responsible for the cable coming in, you are only responsible for your segment of the line going to your particular residence) to have it fixed, as it is affecting everyone in your building or entire complex, possibly.

I would try Corth's suggestion of bypassing the router, shutting down anything you don't need and running a test on something like the mud or a download. Something that keeps packets flowing both ways continuously. But it seems more likely that it's a cable plant issue, not a computer hardware/software issue.
Support Your Addiction! Vote for TorilMUD Today!

Top Mud Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=shev

Why Nerox is jealous of me:

Nerox tells you 'man this thing is kicking my ass and i have blisters!'
Nerox tells you 'ok attempting it again put tape on my fingers for easier sliding'
Kifle
Sojourner
Posts: 3830
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2002 6:01 am
Location: Huntington, IN USA
Contact:

Re: Serious Network/Lag Issues

Postby Kifle » Wed May 21, 2008 8:46 pm

Yasden wrote:You guys are completely shooting too far above and beyond the situation. Here's why.

If he's on cable, there's a really strong chance the cable itself is completely f'd, based on what I've red. If the entire building seems to be suffering, it's more of a likelihood than anything else. Some tard could've put a staple through a line somewhere near the main box when running a split line, water could've gotten into a jack outside, anything really. A signal check needs to be run over the line to see if it's losing/gaining ohms, which would indicate a short somewhere in the line. If it is there, it is the landlord/building's responsibility (they are responsible for the cable coming in, you are only responsible for your segment of the line going to your particular residence) to have it fixed, as it is affecting everyone in your building or entire complex, possibly.

I would try Corth's suggestion of bypassing the router, shutting down anything you don't need and running a test on something like the mud or a download. Something that keeps packets flowing both ways continuously. But it seems more likely that it's a cable plant issue, not a computer hardware/software issue.


Of all my lag issues, rarely has the first paragraph been the issue. He lives with roomies that share a connection, so I'd place virii/worms as a more likely issue. Regardless, he already said he would rather not call the company, so going through all the stuff he can check himself was what most of us who payed attention were trying to tell him.

But, you are right in that it could be a problem, but it's best to try corth's suggestion first, then run down the list afterwards. I'd be willing to bet a nice sum that the problem is a fried router, but another likely issue would be that someone in the house is raping bandwidth if they are on a closed network or a neighbor is jacking them if they're on wireless.
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
Yasden
Sojourner
Posts: 1597
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2001 6:01 am
Location: Lake Stevens, WA, USA

Re: Serious Network/Lag Issues

Postby Yasden » Thu May 22, 2008 2:35 am

See, these are the details that could've been mentioned if they are indeed true. I'm assuming they're already sharing the same router, but Jake never had issues until just recently. I placed my bets on cable issues based on that knowledge alone.

Jake, if nothing turns up with Corth's suggestion, I would strongly suggest contacting Cox, as much as you might hate to do it. If you're on good terms with the neighbors, find out if they're having issues.

Your router - is it secured? You might be getting pwned by 1 or more neighbors whoring your bandwidth for torrents or whatever. I'm not saying you're a noob at network security, but make sure you have the following things in place:

MAC Address Filtering
Wireless Access List based on MAC address filtering
Static DHCP addressing
Limitation of DHCP addresses to 10
SSID Broadcast OFF
WPA2 encryption - use at least 8-10 characters, upper/lowercase, numerical, special characters
Router name and password set (NOT DEFAULT!)

I've no idea what make/model of router you're using or anything so I'm just making loose recommendations on that. You can get ahold of me on ICQ if you really need to get into gritty details with this.
Support Your Addiction! Vote for TorilMUD Today!



Top Mud Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=shev



Why Nerox is jealous of me:



Nerox tells you 'man this thing is kicking my ass and i have blisters!'

Nerox tells you 'ok attempting it again put tape on my fingers for easier sliding'
teflor the ranger
Sojourner
Posts: 3923
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2002 5:01 am
Location: Waterdeep

Re: Serious Network/Lag Issues

Postby teflor the ranger » Thu May 22, 2008 3:05 am

Flash/Upgrade your router. Report what happens here. Make sure you're connected via a cable when you do that (don't flash wirelessly).
Teflor does. Teflor does not.
Yasden
Sojourner
Posts: 1597
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2001 6:01 am
Location: Lake Stevens, WA, USA

Re: Serious Network/Lag Issues

Postby Yasden » Thu May 22, 2008 3:14 am

It's not necessarily good to hose the router when you're already having issues. In fact, you can make them worse. However, you definitely need to at least reboot it if you haven't already.

A firmware upgrade can definitely fix problems like this. However, if he's using a new router chances are it doesn't need one, or there isn't one available. If you're using something with options for a Linux-based firmware like DD-WRT, firmware upgrades are easy to do if you follow the instructions to the letter.

If you really insist on factory resetting the router, make sure you take screenshots of your configurations if there was anything in particular you had set up, like particular port forwarding or access times or whatever.
Support Your Addiction! Vote for TorilMUD Today!



Top Mud Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=shev



Why Nerox is jealous of me:



Nerox tells you 'man this thing is kicking my ass and i have blisters!'

Nerox tells you 'ok attempting it again put tape on my fingers for easier sliding'
teflor the ranger
Sojourner
Posts: 3923
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2002 5:01 am
Location: Waterdeep

Re: Serious Network/Lag Issues

Postby teflor the ranger » Thu May 22, 2008 3:15 am

Yasden wrote:It's not necessarily good to hose the router when you're already having issues. In fact, you can make them worse. However, you definitely need to at least reboot it if you haven't already.

A firmware upgrade can definitely fix problems like this. However, if he's using a new router chances are it doesn't need one, or there isn't one available. If you're using something with options for a Linux-based firmware like DD-WRT, firmware upgrades are easy to do if you follow the instructions to the letter.

If you really insist on factory resetting the router, make sure you take screenshots of your configurations if there was anything in particular you had set up, like particular port forwarding or access times or whatever.


Flash the router anyway. If it makes things 'worse,' your router is already hosed.
Teflor does. Teflor does not.
Yasden
Sojourner
Posts: 1597
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2001 6:01 am
Location: Lake Stevens, WA, USA

Re: Serious Network/Lag Issues

Postby Yasden » Thu May 22, 2008 3:18 am

If you flash the router, any connecting clients will have to be reconfigured to connect to the router unless you follow the EXACT same configurations and encryptions. This is why I recommended against it.
Support Your Addiction! Vote for TorilMUD Today!



Top Mud Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=shev



Why Nerox is jealous of me:



Nerox tells you 'man this thing is kicking my ass and i have blisters!'

Nerox tells you 'ok attempting it again put tape on my fingers for easier sliding'
teflor the ranger
Sojourner
Posts: 3923
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2002 5:01 am
Location: Waterdeep

Re: Serious Network/Lag Issues

Postby teflor the ranger » Thu May 22, 2008 3:20 am

Yasden wrote:If you flash the router, any connecting clients will have to be reconfigured to connect to the router unless you follow the EXACT same configurations and encryptions. This is why I recommended against it.


Any router that'd be used to connect to a cable modem will retain the same settings after a flash upgrade.
Teflor does. Teflor does not.
Yasden
Sojourner
Posts: 1597
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2001 6:01 am
Location: Lake Stevens, WA, USA

Re: Serious Network/Lag Issues

Postby Yasden » Thu May 22, 2008 3:23 am

That's not true. When I upgraded my Linksys WRT54GL to a DD-WRT firmware, everything on the router was completely wiped out. I knew this was going to happen but I was able to get everything back where I had it because I had screen shots of all my relevant settings.

Not all cable modems retain DNS information either. I always just use 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 (Verizon's DNS servers) on any router I configure because they're easy numbers to remember.

In fact, Comcast cable modems require routers to clone the MAC address of the PC they're connected to.
Support Your Addiction! Vote for TorilMUD Today!



Top Mud Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=shev



Why Nerox is jealous of me:



Nerox tells you 'man this thing is kicking my ass and i have blisters!'

Nerox tells you 'ok attempting it again put tape on my fingers for easier sliding'
Raiwen
Sojourner
Posts: 430
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2001 6:01 am
Location: Atlanta, Ga USA
Contact:

Re: Serious Network/Lag Issues

Postby Raiwen » Thu May 22, 2008 2:24 pm

Another thing you can try is a looking glass.

http://www.nanog.org/lookingglass.html

they are web sites with reverse traceroute tools, and other nifty things, that can give you a view of your connectivity from their geographical (or internet topology) point of view.

B/c of the mesh design of the internet, sometimes an ISPs links (or paths) to certain places get messed up, while others stay the same.

The internet health report is useful sometimes, too.

http://www.internetpulse.net/
teflor the ranger
Sojourner
Posts: 3923
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2002 5:01 am
Location: Waterdeep

Re: Serious Network/Lag Issues

Postby teflor the ranger » Fri May 23, 2008 1:01 am

Yasden wrote:That's not true. When I upgraded my Linksys WRT54GL to a DD-WRT firmware, everything on the router was completely wiped out. I knew this was going to happen but I was able to get everything back where I had it because I had screen shots of all my relevant settings.

Not all cable modems retain DNS information either. I always just use 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 (Verizon's DNS servers) on any router I configure because they're easy numbers to remember.

In fact, Comcast cable modems require routers to clone the MAC address of the PC they're connected to.


That's not an upgrade. That's third party software. BBBBZZZZTTTTT.
Teflor does. Teflor does not.
Yasden
Sojourner
Posts: 1597
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2001 6:01 am
Location: Lake Stevens, WA, USA

Re: Serious Network/Lag Issues

Postby Yasden » Fri May 23, 2008 3:22 am

Trust me, DD-WRT firmware *IS* an upgrade. Linux-based and a lot more malleability.
Support Your Addiction! Vote for TorilMUD Today!



Top Mud Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=shev



Why Nerox is jealous of me:



Nerox tells you 'man this thing is kicking my ass and i have blisters!'

Nerox tells you 'ok attempting it again put tape on my fingers for easier sliding'
teflor the ranger
Sojourner
Posts: 3923
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2002 5:01 am
Location: Waterdeep

Re: Serious Network/Lag Issues

Postby teflor the ranger » Mon May 26, 2008 3:51 am

Yasden wrote:Trust me, DD-WRT firmware *IS* an upgrade. Linux-based and a lot more malleability.


But your settings disappear because you installed third party software.

TRUE: Any router that'd be used to connect to a cable modem will retain the same settings after a flash upgrade.
Teflor does. Teflor does not.
Yasden
Sojourner
Posts: 1597
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2001 6:01 am
Location: Lake Stevens, WA, USA

Re: Serious Network/Lag Issues

Postby Yasden » Mon May 26, 2008 5:51 pm

If you're installing a manufacturer's updated firmware, yes, your settings will retain. Why are you arguing the semantics? I already said DD-WRT is an upgrade. I didn't say it was updated firmware by Linksys. It hoses your settings. I just wanted to point out that your statement was only a generality, not an absolute. That's neither here nor there in the topic of the thread. I'm still waiting to hear back from Gormal as to whether or not any efforts made met with success.
Support Your Addiction! Vote for TorilMUD Today!



Top Mud Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=shev



Why Nerox is jealous of me:



Nerox tells you 'man this thing is kicking my ass and i have blisters!'

Nerox tells you 'ok attempting it again put tape on my fingers for easier sliding'
teflor the ranger
Sojourner
Posts: 3923
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2002 5:01 am
Location: Waterdeep

Re: Serious Network/Lag Issues

Postby teflor the ranger » Mon May 26, 2008 6:29 pm

Yasden wrote:If you're installing a manufacturer's updated firmware, yes, your settings will retain. Why are you arguing the semantics? I already said DD-WRT is an upgrade. I didn't say it was updated firmware by Linksys. It hoses your settings. I just wanted to point out that your statement was only a generality, not an absolute. That's neither here nor there in the topic of the thread. I'm still waiting to hear back from Gormal as to whether or not any efforts made met with success.


Third_Party_Software
Teflor does. Teflor does not.
Yasden
Sojourner
Posts: 1597
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2001 6:01 am
Location: Lake Stevens, WA, USA

Re: Serious Network/Lag Issues

Postby Yasden » Mon May 26, 2008 7:13 pm

I've got the networking degree here. Quit with your know-it-allisms because I know the damn difference between third party software and OEM. I'm not your substitute for Corth, so go find someone else to argue with.
Support Your Addiction! Vote for TorilMUD Today!



Top Mud Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=shev



Why Nerox is jealous of me:



Nerox tells you 'man this thing is kicking my ass and i have blisters!'

Nerox tells you 'ok attempting it again put tape on my fingers for easier sliding'
Kifle
Sojourner
Posts: 3830
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2002 6:01 am
Location: Huntington, IN USA
Contact:

Re: Serious Network/Lag Issues

Postby Kifle » Mon May 26, 2008 8:02 pm

Yasden wrote:I've got the networking degree here. Quit with your know-it-allisms because I know the damn difference between third party software and OEM. I'm not your substitute for Corth, so go find someone else to argue with.


You apparently missed the memo that google > college education.
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
teflor the ranger
Sojourner
Posts: 3923
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2002 5:01 am
Location: Waterdeep

Re: Serious Network/Lag Issues

Postby teflor the ranger » Mon May 26, 2008 9:14 pm

Yasden wrote:I've got the networking degree here. Quit with your know-it-allisms because I know the damn difference between third party software and OEM. I'm not your substitute for Corth, so go find someone else to argue with.


You don't seem to. It's not an argument when you are continuously wrong and are being continuously corrected.
Teflor does. Teflor does not.
shalath
Sojourner
Posts: 310
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2003 8:46 pm

Re: Serious Network/Lag Issues

Postby shalath » Mon May 26, 2008 9:32 pm

Targsk is right. Teflor is wrong. That is all.
[Profile edited by Board Admin. If you can't be civil, we'll fix it for you. -ed]
teflor the ranger
Sojourner
Posts: 3923
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2002 5:01 am
Location: Waterdeep

Re: Serious Network/Lag Issues

Postby teflor the ranger » Mon May 26, 2008 9:34 pm

I hate to point this out, but I'm not responsible for more than half the posts in this so-called 'argument.'

Talk until you're blue in the face, but really, its your problem, especially if you don't know what my degree is in.
Teflor does. Teflor does not.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner
Posts: 3923
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2002 5:01 am
Location: Waterdeep

Re: Serious Network/Lag Issues

Postby teflor the ranger » Mon May 26, 2008 9:50 pm

shalath wrote:Targsk is right. Teflor is wrong. That is all.

Upgrade
Definition: An upgrade is a software package that replaces an installed version of a product with a newer version of the same product.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/824684

I'd also like to add that this is my last post in here about upgrades vs third party software. I'll post again if gormal comes back with a result that can be diagnosed.
Teflor does. Teflor does not.
flib
Sojourner
Posts: 322
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:14 pm
Location: Annapolis, MD

Re: Serious Network/Lag Issues

Postby flib » Wed May 28, 2008 7:36 am

you should make a chart describing how your stature is concurrent with your knowledge of router issues vs the overall stupidness of everyone else besides yourself and then cross reference that with I'm the smartest man alive.
Yasden
Sojourner
Posts: 1597
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2001 6:01 am
Location: Lake Stevens, WA, USA

Re: Serious Network/Lag Issues

Postby Yasden » Wed May 28, 2008 11:07 pm

Quoting definitions from Microsoft now? LMFAO!!! Because Microsoft is the end-all of everything that is Information Technology! So tell me, when did you purchase your Microsoft router? I bet you've got an MSCE and you tout that thing mightily! Oh wait, I bet you have to recertify now that XP SP3 came out...you probably waited in line to buy Vista too.

The only degree you seem to have is a Ph.D. in arrogance and Googlenese. Some of us actually spent our time learning something in school instead of taking everything we read on the interwebs as the gospel. I try to avoid discussing things in which I have no clue about, but when you're talking about this area, I will almost always pipe in. Having someone tell me I don't know wtf I'm talking about when I've spent the last 4 years of my life living it and breathing it year-round is not something I generally take lightly. And now you're insulting everyone else in the process of trying to browbeat me into submission. Sorry, ain't happenin' dude.
Support Your Addiction! Vote for TorilMUD Today!



Top Mud Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=shev



Why Nerox is jealous of me:



Nerox tells you 'man this thing is kicking my ass and i have blisters!'

Nerox tells you 'ok attempting it again put tape on my fingers for easier sliding'
Llaaldara
Sojourner
Posts: 998
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2002 5:01 am
Location: Dobluth Kyor

Re: Serious Network/Lag Issues

Postby Llaaldara » Thu May 29, 2008 7:02 pm

teflor the ranger wrote: especially if you don't know what my degree is in.


Well then, since YOU brought this up, tell us Tef. I'm calling you out on your claim right here, right now. What is your degree in? Does this mean you are still in school? Or you misspoke and you meant what degree you graduated with? Where did you go to school for this degree? What was your graduating GPA? Also, degrees don't always give us a complete picture of qualifications on the subject matter, so how much professional experience do you have in this field of networking that is being discussed here? And by 'professional' I do mean, you got paid for it and the government was aware of your occupation to do so.

Come on now. Don't be shy. Here's your chance to let us all know, so that we might understand your supreme knowledge on all topics that transgress these forums.

Let's go. Chop chop. Spit it out.

Because if you don't, despite your claim to not post in this thread again, I know you're going to read what's being spoken. Consider this an aside from the normal conversation. It's really your one chance to give yourself a shred of credit in our eyes.. for once. Honestly, if you don't answer, it just keeps us all thinking more or less what Targsk just said about you. Sure you don't HAVE TO answer up, but if you want to change it so some of us might actually consider you a credible source for once on at least SOMETHING worth being know for, this is in all sincerity your big chance. Then again, I guess you do realize, that by NOT answering, you can continue on as you have been, a self proclaimed expert on all topics.

So Tef, do ya got the balls to pony up, or just gonna sit there like a beeyotch?


-=-=-=-=-

Gormal,

I'm not a network computer super nerd, I'm just happy I got my wireless network working nicely. I too concur with Corth's suggestion. Simple man debugging to isolate the problem. You might also try asking your neighbors if they are experiencing similar online problems? That's probably the 2nd thing I'd do, if not the first. If they have the same probs, maybe go with DSL instead to circumvent the cable problem entirely?
teflor the ranger
Sojourner
Posts: 3923
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2002 5:01 am
Location: Waterdeep

Re: Serious Network/Lag Issues

Postby teflor the ranger » Sat May 31, 2008 7:56 pm

Yasden wrote:Quoting definitions from Microsoft now? LMFAO!!!


Quoting definitions from the premier certification provider of IT professionals? How dare I?

Yasen wrote:The only degree you seem to have is a Ph.D. in arrogance and Googlenese. Some of us actually spent our time learning something in school instead of taking everything we read on the interwebs as the gospel. I try to avoid discussing things in which I have no clue about, but when you're talking about this area, I will almost always pipe in. Having someone tell me I don't know wtf I'm talking about when I've spent the last 4 years of my life living it and breathing it year-round is not something I generally take lightly. And now you're insulting everyone else in the process of trying to browbeat me into submission. Sorry, ain't happenin' dude.


And you're the one toting one thing as something completely different. Let's keep this simple shall we? You have been corrected. Have some humility and stop insulting me.
Teflor does. Teflor does not.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner
Posts: 3923
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2002 5:01 am
Location: Waterdeep

Re: Serious Network/Lag Issues

Postby teflor the ranger » Sat May 31, 2008 8:01 pm

Llaaldara wrote:
teflor the ranger wrote: especially if you don't know what my degree is in.


Well then, since YOU brought this up, tell us Tef. I'm calling you out on your claim right here, right now. What is your degree in? Does this mean you are still in school? Or you misspoke and you meant what degree you graduated with? Where did you go to school for this degree? What was your graduating GPA? Also, degrees don't always give us a complete picture of qualifications on the subject matter, so how much professional experience do you have in this field of networking that is being discussed here? And by 'professional' I do mean, you got paid for it and the government was aware of your occupation to do so.


As always, I refuse and will continue to refuse to spout off my credentials, falsified or otherwise as many other of the BBS posters do (particularly when I've embarrassed them by refuting one of their claims or supposed facts). This is a dicussion of fact, enough resources are accessible to all, and have been linked to, to sufficiently support those claims. In other words: Q.E.D.

Furthermore, the only claim I made in your quot above is that Yasden does not know what my degree is in. This is sufficiently true to not require further proof and I'm sure Yasden will admit as much as well.
Teflor does. Teflor does not.
Kifle
Sojourner
Posts: 3830
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2002 6:01 am
Location: Huntington, IN USA
Contact:

Re: Serious Network/Lag Issues

Postby Kifle » Sat May 31, 2008 9:27 pm

Llaaldara wrote:
teflor the ranger wrote: especially if you don't know what my degree is in.


Well then, since YOU brought this up, tell us Tef. I'm calling you out on your claim right here, right now. What is your degree in? Does this mean you are still in school? Or you misspoke and you meant what degree you graduated with? Where did you go to school for this degree? What was your graduating GPA? Also, degrees don't always give us a complete picture of qualifications on the subject matter, so how much professional experience do you have in this field of networking that is being discussed here? And by 'professional' I do mean, you got paid for it and the government was aware of your occupation to do so.

Come on now. Don't be shy. Here's your chance to let us all know, so that we might understand your supreme knowledge on all topics that transgress these forums.

Let's go. Chop chop. Spit it out.

Because if you don't, despite your claim to not post in this thread again, I know you're going to read what's being spoken. Consider this an aside from the normal conversation. It's really your one chance to give yourself a shred of credit in our eyes.. for once. Honestly, if you don't answer, it just keeps us all thinking more or less what Targsk just said about you. Sure you don't HAVE TO answer up, but if you want to change it so some of us might actually consider you a credible source for once on at least SOMETHING worth being know for, this is in all sincerity your big chance. Then again, I guess you do realize, that by NOT answering, you can continue on as you have been, a self proclaimed expert on all topics.

So Tef, do ya got the balls to pony up, or just gonna sit there like a beeyotch?



I'm going to wager that "This post was made by teflor the ranger who is currently on your ignore list. Display this post." = Lolz, I r not to tell uz giez! I r edumakated n u r dum, lolz. U r ignorent!

We tried to get him to post his creds years ago and he hid behind the same lame rhetoric, so it will be no suprise that he's done it again. Yas was right. The only degree tef holds is a Ph.D. in google searches.
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
teflor the ranger
Sojourner
Posts: 3923
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2002 5:01 am
Location: Waterdeep

Re: Serious Network/Lag Issues

Postby teflor the ranger » Sat May 31, 2008 10:38 pm

Yasden wrote:And now you're insulting everyone else in the process of trying to browbeat me into submission.


Excuse me, but you are dead wrong here. Would you like to point out where I've insulted ANYONE ELSE in this thread?

Are there any more accusations you'd like to pull out of your magic bag? Are you going to control your emotions and stop slandering me?
Teflor does. Teflor does not.
flib
Sojourner
Posts: 322
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:14 pm
Location: Annapolis, MD

Re: Serious Network/Lag Issues

Postby flib » Sat May 31, 2008 11:39 pm

it seems like you're kind of dancing around the question at hand, if I had a degree in networking and someone was tryin' to make me look bad based on the fact that they think my credentials were faulty I would as llaldarra said.. (btw if i spelled that wrong get a new name.. that ones too hard to spell rofl) pony up. Shit, i'd throw in the telephone number of one of my professors hah.

If you're not giving it up that means you have something to hide, which is fine by me, I could care less. But, for your own sanity you might wanna put a stop to that kinda stuff, it will slowly unravel the person you are and turn you into more or less a facade of what you want to be, aka you'll be a fake.
Kifle
Sojourner
Posts: 3830
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2002 6:01 am
Location: Huntington, IN USA
Contact:

Re: Serious Network/Lag Issues

Postby Kifle » Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:38 am

flib wrote:If you're not giving it up that means you have something to hide, which is fine by me, I could care less. But, for your own sanity you might wanna put a stop to that kinda stuff, it will slowly unravel the person you are and turn you into more or less a facade of what you want to be, aka you'll be more of a fake than you already are.


Edited
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
teflor the ranger
Sojourner
Posts: 3923
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2002 5:01 am
Location: Waterdeep

Re: Serious Network/Lag Issues

Postby teflor the ranger » Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:03 am

flib wrote:it seems like you're kind of dancing around the question at hand ...
if someone was tryin' to make me look bad...
it will slowly unravel the person you are and turn you into more or less a facade of what you want to be, aka you'll be a fake.


Someone is always trying to make me look bad here. It's not a good reason to respond. It's not even an argument. Furthermore, it's a blunt refusal to answer an off-topic, unrelated, non-confirmable question, not dancing around the question. Sources have been cited relevant to the argument. It's done.

Finally, I present myself as a person that has the ability to make arguments and to cite sources and provide information. I do not present myself as a supposed expert in anything - it is unnecessary and laughable as there is no process by which one could confirm that I actually hold such credentials. Furthermore, thanks to the internet, it is possible to backup any factual claims by providing links to such information. There's nothing fake about that.
Teflor does. Teflor does not.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner
Posts: 3923
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2002 5:01 am
Location: Waterdeep

Re: Serious Network/Lag Issues

Postby teflor the ranger » Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:33 am

Llaaldara wrote:Because if you don't, despite your claim to not post in this thread again, I know you're going to read what's being spoken. Consider this an aside from the normal conversation. It's really your one chance to give yourself a shred of credit in our eyes.. for once.


I said I wouldn't post about upgrades vs third party software. What is credit with you worth? I don't presently assign a very high value to it. You see, when you post something that I disagree with, I post an argument. I back most of them up with facts and cited credible sources. Either way, you've got a hard fight on your hands, so I'm not concerned with how you see me.

Not even a little bit. I'm still here, and I'm still right where I'm right, and wrong where I'm wrong. Your opinion? Subject to circumstance, value to be determined as you present them. The real credit is in the argument made, I'm not impressed by your post.
Teflor does. Teflor does not.
flib
Sojourner
Posts: 322
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:14 pm
Location: Annapolis, MD

Re: Serious Network/Lag Issues

Postby flib » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:42 am

teflor the ranger wrote: It's not a good reason to respond. It's not even an argument. Furthermore, it's a blunt refusal to answer an off-topic, unrelated, non-confirmable question, not dancing around the question. Sources have been cited relevant to the argument. It's done.

.



w/e youre only convincing yourself I fear.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner
Posts: 3923
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2002 5:01 am
Location: Waterdeep

Re: Serious Network/Lag Issues

Postby teflor the ranger » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:31 pm

flib wrote:w/e youre only convincing yourself I fear.


: | <- this is my caring face.
Teflor does. Teflor does not.
Shar
FORGER ADMIN
Posts: 791
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2001 6:01 am

Re: Serious Network/Lag Issues

Postby Shar » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:25 pm

Please keep it civil and stop arguing on a personal level. This is a helpful thread and it should continue to be.

Thanks,
Shar - Forger Administrator, TorilMUD

Brandobaris : (51) [ would a forgotten realms zombie be interested in brains? ]

Shevarash tells you 'Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down..... groan'
kiryan
Sojourner
Posts: 7275
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2001 5:01 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA and Flagstaff, AZ
Contact:

Re: Serious Network/Lag Issues

Postby kiryan » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:50 pm

I'm a Cisco Certified Network Administrator and I have about 15 years working part time on corporate networks.

If other people in your building are having trouble then I'd start with Comcast. If not, I'd go with Corth's suggestion.

The most plausible answer is massive downloading or viruses. If you connect to your cable modem via USB, you will most likely need the Comcast account and password; I'd just connect into the network ports with everyone else unplugged.

If its still slow, I'd check your computer for viruses, maybe your computer is the problem. If you don't come up with anything, I'd try your computer out at a friends house or a neighbor who isn't having a problem. I'd also consider testing with a different cable modem and or calling Comcast and having them remote into the cable modem to check the logs / settings (assuming you rent your cable modem).

Assuming all that comes back clean, you're going to have to spend a few weeks trying to get comcast to admit and fix the problem. It could be a line problem as targsk mentions. it could be a load problem (cable modems are shared bandwidth). it could be that it rained and the fiber hut down the street got flooded. Theres a bunch of reasons why your connection could've gone to shit, but in my experience, its most often because of a virus. Consumer network equipment usually only supports 250 ish connections which your average virus can shred in a heartbeat.

It could even be something at the toril end, but I assume your connection is shitty to everywhere.
kiryan
Sojourner
Posts: 7275
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2001 5:01 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA and Flagstaff, AZ
Contact:

Re: Serious Network/Lag Issues

Postby kiryan » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:53 pm

they might also need to turn up the signal gain.
Llaaldara
Sojourner
Posts: 998
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2002 5:01 am
Location: Dobluth Kyor

Re: Serious Network/Lag Issues

Postby Llaaldara » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:57 pm

teflor the ranger wrote:Someone is always trying to make me look bad here.


Its really a result of your own actions, Tef. Maybe one day you'll see that. Abuse begrudges abuse.

Your opinion of my response is irrelevant, because it only matters how you really feel about yourself deep down inside. From your continued forum behavior over the years, you honestly don't appear to come off as happy or very comfortable with your inner self. Happy people don't care about being right so much as enjoying being happy.

I wish you the best of luck, and send some hugs your way to maybe help. May you one day come to grips with the reality of the situation and improve your quality of life. >:D< Until then, that will be it from me. You're too far into it to see it and nothing I say would you probably believe or take at face value.

Again, best of luck to you future endeavors. :)


/sincere
kiryan
Sojourner
Posts: 7275
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2001 5:01 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA and Flagstaff, AZ
Contact:

Re: Serious Network/Lag Issues

Postby kiryan » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:22 pm

Your saviour Teflor, llaaldara

lol
teflor the ranger
Sojourner
Posts: 3923
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2002 5:01 am
Location: Waterdeep

Re: Serious Network/Lag Issues

Postby teflor the ranger » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:45 pm

Llaaldara wrote:
teflor the ranger wrote:Someone is always trying to make me look bad here.


Its really a result of your own actions, Tef. Maybe one day you'll see that. Abuse begrudges abuse.

Your opinion of my response is irrelevant, because it only matters how you really feel about yourself deep down inside. From your continued forum behavior over the years, you honestly don't appear to come off as happy or very comfortable with your inner self. Happy people don't care about being right so much as enjoying being happy.

I wish you the best of luck, and send some hugs your way to maybe help. May you one day come to grips with the reality of the situation and improve your quality of life. >:D< Until then, that will be it from me. You're too far into it to see it and nothing I say would you probably believe or take at face value.

Again, best of luck to you future endeavors. :)


/sincere


As if anything you say is sincere. Especially the part about "having the balls to pony up" anything. You are deeply, deeply mistaken about anything that has anything to do with anything about what I am. You could say you were wasting your time, my time, and the time anyone else spends to read what you've wrote.

Furthermore, it's not a result of my own actions. You may want to know what you're talking about before you open your mouth. Look into the archives and take a look at the first person (particularly Kifle) to comment on my posts in the threads around the time of the last presidential election. There are people on this board that are perfectly abusive without any help whatsoever. I don't mind being targeted at all, but I certainly have an opinion about it.

"Maybe one day" you'll figure out something correctly on your own. But you're wrong here. I have hope for you.
Teflor does. Teflor does not.
Ragorn
Sojourner
Posts: 4732
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2001 6:01 am

Re: Serious Network/Lag Issues

Postby Ragorn » Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:49 pm

Ignoring Teflor is the best decision I ever made on this BBS. I don't even need to open his response to Llaadara to know that it's probably full of "you think you know this, but you're not only wrong, you're ignorant" sentiment.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner
Posts: 3923
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2002 5:01 am
Location: Waterdeep

Re: Serious Network/Lag Issues

Postby teflor the ranger » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:28 pm

Ragorn wrote:Ignoring Teflor is the best decision I ever made on this BBS. I don't even need to open his response to Llaadara to know that it's probably full of "you think you know this, but you're not only wrong, you're ignorant" sentiment.


This particular remark reminds me of a behavior common to pack animals attempting to gain attention. 'Look at me, look at me, see what I've done.' It's not unlike the way people get after they buy a hybrid vehicle and drive it around twice as much as they did in their old car to show it off.
Teflor does. Teflor does not.
Ambar
Sojourner
Posts: 2872
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2002 5:01 am
Location: Our House in Va.
Contact:

Re: Serious Network/Lag Issues

Postby Ambar » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:39 pm

I don't drive my hybrid any more than I used to, or merely to show it off .. I drive my hybrid and laugh at people at the gas pumps since I only fill up once every three weeks.
"When a child is born, so is a grandmother."

-Italian Proverb
Ragorn
Sojourner
Posts: 4732
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2001 6:01 am

Re: Serious Network/Lag Issues

Postby Ragorn » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:13 pm

Ambar wrote:I don't drive my hybrid any more than I used to, or merely to show it off .. I drive my hybrid and laugh at people at the gas pumps since I only fill up once every three weeks.

I'm thinking about buying a low-cc motorcycle to commute to work. Right now, my car is so expensive to drive on surface roads that it's practically a business decision.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.

Return to “T2 General Discussion Archive”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests