8 Drugs Your Doctor Wouldn't Take

Life, the universe, and everything.
Forum rules
- No personal attacks against players or staff members - please be civil!
- No posting of mature images/links, keep content SFW. If it's NSFW, don't post it on these forums.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

8 Drugs Your Doctor Wouldn't Take

Postby teflor the ranger » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:27 am

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24777955/

I thought this was interesting enough to share.
Teflor does. Teflor does not.
Corth
Sojourner

Re: 8 Drugs Your Doctor Wouldn't Take

Postby Corth » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:46 pm

There are plenty of legitimate and useful reasons for an MD to not only use those drugs on his own, but to prescribe to family members and patients.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:51 pm

Yep, one of my friends is on Advair to help out with some wierd (and very rare) lymph-node disease he has. He doesn't even have asthma.

I also had to take it when I had bronchitis last year. Being able to breathe is nice.
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:02 am

The survey was of doctors on which drugs they wouldn't take - obviously, if they needed something like them. Many of the drugs are on this list because there are other drugs that are either better, or have fewer risks and complications.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:42 am

Unfortunately, it seems some doctors rarely pull the PDR off the shelf. Or if they do crack it open, they don't stay versed on emerging research that may suddenly make a once-trusted treatment one to avoid. Worst case: You swallow something that has no business being inside your body.

Of course, plenty of M.D.'s do know which prescription and over-the-counter drugs are duds, dangers, or both. So we asked them, "Which medications would you skip?" Their list is your second opinion. If you're on any of these meds, talk to your doctor. Maybe he or she will finally open that big red book with all the dust on it.

Did the author only survey doctors who use the PDR regularly? Or is it a broad survey of all doctors and the author is just being loose with his/her wording? Or, given the fact that the author doesn't list any criteria for this purported survey, even the number of doctors involved, can we surmise that the author asked maybe one or two doctors informally, and then made broad sweeping conclusions based upon that extensive data?
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:12 am

Is this that article from Men's Health that was linked on fark?

Uh, it's Men's Health.

It's like Cosmo for dudes.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:28 am

Ragorn wrote:Is this that article from Men's Health that was linked on fark?

Uh, it's Men's Health.

It's like Cosmo for dudes.

Also Re: Corth.

It's a list of medications that doctors surveyed would skip. Never sold it as anything else.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:05 pm

Doctors plural? Any reputable article giving the results of a survey would at MINIMUM state how many doctors were surveyed and which organization conducted the survey. If even one doctor was involved with this article I would be surprised.

Goddamned slippery mage.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:20 am

For a scientific survey, yes, for an interest article, no. You're not applying the appropriate standards.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:15 am

What supposedly makes it interesting is that there are drugs out there that ordinary joes are using which doctors wouldn't consider putting into their own body. If it were true, it would be an interesting article. Fact of the matter is that the article provides a whole bunch of misinformation. I doubt that any doctors were involved in it at all. I don't find an article that could potentially kill people to be very interesting. I sincerely hope that people listen to their doctors rather than this trash.

Goddamned slippery mage.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:20 am

Well, it says it surveyed doctors and it's published on the MSNBC website.

If you have a problem take it up with their editors, frankly, they're a major national publisher. I'm not about to go chasing down writers of articles on major national news sites and demand that they cough up every source.

Quite frankly, Corth, it's not like a single news article on any major national news site lists every reference and source cited or used in their articles. The idea is that the editor of the publisher assumes responsibility for vetting the information provided. That being said, I do occasionally chase down a writer every now and then and ask them to cough up sources or references, but only if I'm certain their claims are just bogus. (and even then, still approach with an open mind)

Return to “T2 General Discussion Archive”