@thanuk

Life, the universe, and everything.
Forum rules
- No personal attacks against players or staff members - please be civil!
- No posting of mature images/links, keep content SFW. If it's NSFW, don't post it on these forums.
Gormal
Sojourner

@thanuk

Postby Gormal » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:09 pm

Haha, you got stuck with Favre.
Kifle
Sojourner

Re: @thanuk

Postby Kifle » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:14 pm

Yeah, I'd hate to be rooting for the Jets right now. I mean, who would want a hall-of-fame QB on their team that had an amazing season just before you got him. Poor Thanuk?
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:38 pm

I've always been a Green Bay fan, but I never trust someone when they're as wishy washy as Favre was on his way "out". I'm sure he'll do okay, but he's about to turn 40 so its all downhill from here.
Kegor
Sojourner

Postby Kegor » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:47 pm

Exactly. Lot of people around here (Minnesota Vikings fans) were hoping we would sign him. I think I would have more fun watching our rookie (Tarvaris Jackson) throw interceptions because at least he has a good excuse. Farve sucks and is only going to make the hall of fame for being around so long (most career INT's ftw). He can only function properly with an extremely good running game on his side, which I wouldn't say is true of more noteable quarterbacks of times past and present. Can't wait to watch him have a horrible season _again_ (wouldn't be the first time by a longshot).

'If your going to get all misty-eyed on national television and say your going to retire, maybe you should stick to that.'
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:56 am

Jaz, defenses today almost require a capable running game for their QB to do anything notable -- it isn't just Favre. And, hell, I would have loved for Chicago to get Favre for one season because that is the team's weakspot. I don't mind rentals now and then if they give you a legit chance at a superbowl. I'm not sure what the Jets are hoping to do since they are such a horrible team, but the Vikings would have had a more guaranteed position in the post-season with Favre rather than someone who is untested. Also, interceptions or not, the guy is always healthy, has a great passing game, can handle the blitz rather well, and is a proven all-star caliber QB. The GB's management are retarded for letting him go imo. Your chances, regardless of whether he is wishy-washy as far as retirement goes, are greatly improved to join the post-season with Favre than without him -- unless you have Payton or Brady on your team.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Kegor
Sojourner

Postby Kegor » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:03 pm

Kifle wrote:Jaz, defenses today almost require a capable running game for their QB to do anything notable -- it isn't just Favre.

Exactly. Thats why I said 'extremely good', not capable. This was intentional, and just another way of me saying Farve sucks and will have a bad year without an 'extremely good' running game on his side. Capable will not cut it for him.

Being a bitter division rival of Green Bay over the years, I've seen Farve play many many times since thats what they show on TV around here primarily is Vikings and Packers. I have taken in interest in watching them fail while maintaining a healthy respect for Farve's ability to come from behind and own the 2 minute drill. The guy can hurt you when he's having a good day and feeling it, but those were always rare. Notice Farve has great career numbers and not season high type numbers (except for a couple with that 'excellent running game'). You are going to have that if you play for 16 years, it doesn't make him even close to one of the best imo. I've seen him have very horrible days too many times to count.

As far as him being better than a rookie, okay sure, but for how long and how much better? Do you simply try to make the playoffs with an aging veteran for one year? Or do you want to break in your rookie and possibly have something better than that sooner rather than later and take advantage of the rest of your division struggling trying to break in a rookie themselves and see if yours has what it takes? Green Bay made thier decision, and they know Farve better than anyone.

I don't know off the top of my head how old Pennington is, or what the status of thier young talent at the QB position is. So I can't knowledgably comment on the decision the Jets made, but they suck anyways right? What could it hurt?
amena wolfsnarl
Sojourner

Postby amena wolfsnarl » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:44 pm

Fact of the matter is that the jets probably just sold another couple thousand season tickets by signing him not to mention the single game tickets they will seel by bringing him in. And they got him for dirt cheap if they dont use him for anything more than 80% of the plays a second rounder for him..... Yup I'll take that any day, thanks.
Dugmaren tells you 'Welcome to Canada, don't blame us if you're stupid enough to get eaten by the wild life'
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:44 am

Eh, I guess you're right, Jaz, but what GB did was ballsy. If Rodgers ends up being a bust, it will not end well for them. I'm just not a betting man, so I would have kept Favre another season since he had a successful season last year. Granted, he's no Marino, Montana, or Elway, but the guy is up there and imo is better on the blitz. The topside to this, and this is what I think the Jets were looking at, is that Pennington is an injury magnet while Favre has played (I believe) every game each season with no notable injuries. As for the records, yeah, that may well be the case. I feel the same way when I look at Emitt Smith's records and think, yeah, he's nothing compared to Sanders -- but you have to admit that it is still quite the accomplishment and it is indicative of talent above the norm in many respects.

Bottom line is, Jets got a steal and GB forced themselves to rebuild. Now if only Orton would live up to his hype and play well for the bears, I'd be a happy man. I would have shat myself if the Bears got Favre.

Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:04 pm

253 consecutive games is no small feat. As much as I like to bag on Favre (we even have a Brokeback Packer radio spoof on the local rock station here), that alone shows his mettle. So yeah, 16 years of consecutive games dating back to week 4 of 1992 can definitely produce some records. Peyton is only at 160 consecutive, and he'll have to play until the age of 37 to catch that mark.
Support Your Addiction! Vote for TorilMUD Today!

Top Mud Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=shev

Why Nerox is jealous of me:

Nerox tells you 'man this thing is kicking my ass and i have blisters!'
Nerox tells you 'ok attempting it again put tape on my fingers for easier sliding'
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:15 pm

With the amount of pills he's taken in his life, no one would have had to go to Canada for cheaper medicine had he sat out a few games. :(
Danahg tells you 'yeah, luckily i kept most of it in my mouth and nasal membranes, ugh'

Dlur group-says 'I have a dead horse that I'm dragging down the shaft with my 4 corpses. Anyone want to help me beat it?'

Calladuran: There are other games to play if you want to play with yourself.
kwirl
Sojourner

Postby kwirl » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:18 am

yeah, after favre's performance i'd laugh at anyone stuck with him, too. uh-huh

Return to “T2 General Discussion Archive”