OLD players What the hell are you doing now?

Life, the universe, and everything.
Forum rules
- No personal attacks against players or staff members - please be civil!
- No posting of mature images/links, keep content SFW. If it's NSFW, don't post it on these forums.
therdann
Sojourner

OLD players What the hell are you doing now?

Postby therdann » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:00 pm

So old players what are you doing now?

Many forget the staff tends to be older when it started and many of you little shits where pre-teen or teenage snot nosed trouble makers. So 10 or 12 years later what has happened? Did you become a drug dealing user "addicted to mudding" and ruined for life? Or did you go to college become a DR, lawyer, nurse, super mom?

Im still doing the same thing 12 years later it just pays better :P (self employed)

2 people who did a bunch of work and are sadly missing from the credits are Berronar and Haela (They all started with shev and rest of gang)

I let Berroner tell her own history if she wants (ask her about here grand children and her children getting married!)

Haela - Im sorry to report ..passed away from cancer several years ago.

So what the hell is everyone up to?
Ambar
Sojourner

Re: OLD players What the hell are you doing now?

Postby Ambar » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:41 pm

I still play on occasion (hugs Clangeddin) saw you on the other day but wasnt sure if you'd remember me or not :)

I retired from the US Navy just under 3 years ago (no Llaaldara I dont talk about it nearly as much) and have been living with a fellow mudder, Arilin/Thalidyrr, for 4 years in february. Hopefully loves it as much as I do :)

I am the proud gramma of a 3 year old little boy who just lights up my whole life (Yes you do too dear, but Cayden wins hands down) My kids are a challenge, they are 21 and 19 years old now .. How times flies!

I work as a senior tech for Dollar Tree stores at their help desk, who knows how long that will last, the pace rocks compared to the chaos of my former career, but the lack of structure and discipline kills me ..

Other than that I have been playing WoW and am involved in other projects that keep me fairly busy

*hug*

Shalia

aka Jennifer
"When a child is born, so is a grandmother."

-Italian Proverb
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:21 pm

According to the sticked poll, around 70% of the Toril population is from 12+ years ago. If they're here, there's a better than average chance that they're "OLD".
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:09 pm

I was 18 when I started on Toril, and 20-21 at my peak during S2.

Now I'm 30. Went to college, graduated, got married, got divorced. I have a little girl who turns two in October, and I will not hesitate to flood the BBS with pictures if provoked. I'm living in the Washington DC suburbs, working as a Project Manager, watching my 401(k) evaporate.

I paid my WoW dues, now I'm playing Warhammer Online.

...I guess that's my life in five lines or less.

I <3 Berronar
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Colje
Sojourner

Postby Colje » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:42 am

Lets see if I can do a 5 liner as well ;)

I was 18 as well when I started on Toril, played heavily for 3-4 years and stepped down to regular..

Now I'm 30 AS WELL ;) Master of science, got married with a beautiful icelandic girl (been with her almost 10 years), got kids(boys) which takes tons of my time and I love it :) Um leading a developer team...yes its microshaft crap...but I've gone microsoft religious over the years ;)

And I still live in good old Norway. But kinda miss the mud, havent been on in years...should have my old copy somewhere..

Atm, I play eve-online, done that for the last 4-5 years :)

And there we have it...5 lines..I think...

/Colje
Raiwen
Sojourner

Postby Raiwen » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:40 pm

New Clangeddin, not the Old Clangeddin (Mailed Fist) ?

I started here in early '94 I believe. Guess I was 19, am 33 now. I started mudding in Chattanooga, TN, moved to Orlando in 2001, moved to Tampa in 2003. Still here. Had a lot of bad luck finding companies that were VC backed and folded due to company founders stealing the money. Yet, I finally landed a nice job at a local telecom company doing programming (.Net and Java). Pretty much recession proof.

Married, had a baby boy, got divorced. Baby boy is 5 y.o. now.

Met a girl after the divorce, we've been dating for 3 years.

Uhm.. what else. Ah yeah. she's a california girl.
kwirl
Sojourner

Postby kwirl » Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:34 am

Not that anyone cares, but I'm feeling sentimental from time to time. I'm 30 years old now, and its hard to believe that I've spent over a decade off and on coming and going here.

I haven't used any heavy drugs for almost 2 years, and even though its hard I'm a lot more positive and in control my mental state than I was when I was here.

I don't have any kids or STD's, both of which are a miracle given my history with women.

I'm currently dating a 19 year old and a 24 year old, and sleeping with another 19 year old and a 33 year old. I refuse to grow up and I still throw legendary parties.

Now that I'm not a drug addict, I like to make believe that one day I'll be able to get my shit together and go to college, like my little brother who is a veteran of the Iraqi War, currently in law school, and to this day still my hero.
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:00 am

Alcohol and pot are drugs.
kwirl
Sojourner

Postby kwirl » Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:21 am

I don't smoke pot, never really did - once in a while, but it was never the drug that gave me so many problems. And alcohol is as much a drug as anything that I'm supposed to legally be on anyway
oteb
Sojourner

Postby oteb » Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:47 pm

I was 17 first time I logged on to Sojourn(now 30). Been playing it pretty hardcore for a year and a half then came back some years later to play it for 3 more years. Last time I played it was hmm I think around 2004.

Now I am 30. I am an architect. Recently I've picked up law studies as architecture totally stopped giving me any thrill. (and with ongoing financial crysis my market is shrinking at fast pace)

I live with my beloved gf and her 2 kids still in Warsaw Poland.

I have been playing WoW for quite some time but ended up quitting it due to boredom/imbalance/lack of time. Now mainly playing online shooters when I can squeeze in some free time between gf/work/studies.

Oteb/Kafar/Mor/Ibibble

ps. First time I am posting here in a loooooong time(just poped in to check out any threads about election). But when I saw Colje doing it I just had to do it too.
pps. Hello to everyone:)
ppps. Amazed myself that I still remembered password to forum:)
You group-say 'who is da red shape?'
A red shape group-says 'I'm a shape'
Pril
Sojourner

Postby Pril » Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:17 pm

WOW oteb and colje hey guys great to hear yer both doing well!
The best of WTF statments of '06
--------------------------------------------------------
Danila group-says 'afk, machine gun in backyard started shooting cats'
Danila group-says 'afk a sec, 3 horned monkeys trying to steal hose'
Danila group-says 'afk, koala bear trying to mount my car'
flib
Sojourner

Postby flib » Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:44 pm

as it's oteb :) good to see yer doin well man.
shalath
Sojourner

Postby shalath » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:56 pm

Welcome to the Shades of Twilight reunion thread!

Jak tam Oteb? Dobrze ze co troche dajesz znaku zycia. Chyba czas abys mi dal swoj caly ekwipunek, nie? ;-)
[Profile edited by Board Admin. If you can't be civil, we'll fix it for you. -ed]
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:20 pm

Pish posh zeev misriel fak hoom yak
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:32 pm

Ala Kazam!
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
flib
Sojourner

Postby flib » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:38 pm

we needs Wuva and Chandigar to fill this thread out then it'd be official, where you at fools? miss u :) What was her name.. I can't think of it.. druid started with a D almost sure of it, she was our leader before wuva stepped up.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:58 am

flib wrote:we needs Wuva and Chandigar to fill this thread out then it'd be official, where you at fools? miss u :) What was her name.. I can't think of it.. druid started with a D almost sure of it, she was our leader before wuva stepped up.

Deshana?

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Pril
Sojourner

Postby Pril » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:10 pm

Kifle wrote:
flib wrote:we needs Wuva and Chandigar to fill this thread out then it'd be official, where you at fools? miss u :) What was her name.. I can't think of it.. druid started with a D almost sure of it, she was our leader before wuva stepped up.

Deshana?

Started with an S and yer thinking of Slavan for 1000 points. :p
The best of WTF statments of '06

--------------------------------------------------------

Danila group-says 'afk, machine gun in backyard started shooting cats'

Danila group-says 'afk a sec, 3 horned monkeys trying to steal hose'

Danila group-says 'afk, koala bear trying to mount my car'
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:57 am

I'm reading these forums, right now. At other times, I'm playing WoW.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:16 am

Yayaril wrote:I'm reading these forums, right now. At other times, I'm playing WoW.

WoW is so five years ago.

Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:54 pm

Kifle wrote:
Yayaril wrote:I'm reading these forums, right now. At other times, I'm playing WoW.

WoW is so five years ago.

Text based muds are the present!
Larble
Sojourner

Postby Larble » Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:48 pm

Shades of Twilight sucked.....wait, what?

Good to see Colje and the big O....glad to hear you both are doing well!
flib
Sojourner

Postby flib » Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:54 pm

pril with the winner..
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:12 am

Clang! What up my beer-bellied buddha?

Anyway, I still haven't grown up either. I'm 31 now, and I'm married with 2 boys, one 11, and the other 18 months. I'm 3 months away from my Bachelor's in Information Systems Security.

I have been pretty inactive from the game for a few months, due to lack of interest, but I still pop on from time to time to say hello. I spend most of my free time on my PS3 (PSN ID - Deathmagnet for those of you who have one!), and am currently balls-deep in Resistance 2 right now. Waiting for a couple months before I take on COD5.
Support Your Addiction! Vote for TorilMUD Today!

Top Mud Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=shev

Why Nerox is jealous of me:

Nerox tells you 'man this thing is kicking my ass and i have blisters!'
Nerox tells you 'ok attempting it again put tape on my fingers for easier sliding'
Diel
Sojourner

Postby Diel » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:01 pm

Yikes I guess I'm old too.

Started here back in '94 (I think?) at age 13. After high school, I played on and off every other year or so for a while to cause trouble and whatnot.

I'm 27 now. No kids, no wife (two close calls :D). Been working at emovieposter.com for over six years now and loving it.

I try and spend my spare time away from the computer these days.
Hoppel ASSOC:: 'ROFL ON THE BEST FLOOR EVAR!!!1!1!oneone'

Klandan group-says 'No, I just won't group with him. Just making that clear up front.

Hibbidy tells you 'kill giant'

Twyl tells you 'I hate my life'

Don't blame me because you aren't an interesting person and have a problem finding anything to talk about.
chandigar
Sojourner

Postby chandigar » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:44 pm

Holy crap... well... I do pop one once in a long while but I haven't felt compelled to actually post anything until I saw my old guildmates on here. I didn't realize you guys still hung out once in a while... the addiction must run deep.

Umm lets see, Architect as well, we do aviation architecture with 20 year forecasts so no real issues with quantity of work... live in the burbs around Chicago, got married last year (late I know). Working on my MBA part time and playing WOW again part time primarily because a coworker of mine is playing.
ssar
Sojourner

Postby ssar » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:36 pm

1970 baby here, year 12 Forster High Scool (NSW Australia) 1988.
Almost as old as Diac ;)

First logged onto Sojourn MUD Oct 1995, whilst living in Vancouver, Canada.

Been living in Newcastle NSW for the last dozen years or so.
Worked at a retail computer store building / servicing / installing SOHO/Home PCs for about 6 years.
Been working at a private hospital in Purchasing / Supply / Stores for the past 5 years.

Played basketball a lot over the years, moved onto rugby union for the local Uni team here for a few years and went OK at that. These days the only real sport I continue is tennis, and enjoying that usually 1 night a week.
BEER
telor
Sojourner

Postby telor » Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:41 am

Sheesh, boy does time fly, started back around 95/96, still play quite abit, when i can lol.

Married 12yrs to my lovely wife Zandrea/Zanalista, got 2 boys 8 and 9...both a handfull. we moved 5yrs ago from Florida to New hampshire, to be closer to Zan's family, and cause it was the closest warehouse.

Been working 10yrs for the same company, Forklift operator, and do some training with new employees on powered equipment, can get pretty stressfull at times, this place has been a haven for those "take me away please" times i've had, lol

Nice to hear some familiar names, chandigar/oteb glad you guys doing good...don't even remember who i was playing back in shades, maybe telaerin, or tesos, been too long, think i recall colje too...but then again, the ones that got me hooked, haven't seen in a long time, mocar and shegal.

anyway, it's late, i'm drunk
Happy mudding!
Tanji Smanji
Sojourner

Postby Tanji Smanji » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:45 am

I don't even remember when I started, it was a long fooking time ago. Was Mamoru for ages though.

Ended up goin to college and working a nice ordinary steady job that I hated so quit and I'm back in school workin on a degree that'll let me do something I love.

33 now and no wife, kids or divorce, dodged that bullet a few times thankfully. Haven't played here in ages, maybe once Shev quits and people who want the game to thrive take over I'll consider it :)
How to go from Waelos to Weylarii.

Weylarii group-says 'oh shit! my penis is stuck in the toaster. afk'

Corth ASSOC:: 'up to you.. need a ranger, but if you want to afk i can probably find someone else'
Desirsar
Sojourner

Postby Desirsar » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:01 am

Oh fine, why not...

I started playing when I was 15 or 16, depending on which MUDs were first and which of my friends found Toril and got the others to play it. This would have been in 1994 or 1995. I'm 30 now, and am a fourth year junior at the University of Nebraska. (Yes, I'm taking forever. I have issues with waking up on time for early classes.) No serious girlfriends during that time, so I'm definitely not married. I barely listened to rock music over top 40 and oldies when I started, now I listen almost exclusively to Japanese girl pop and European death metal. I had just stopped watching pro wrestling regularly when I started MUDding heavily, now I picked my major and minors to suit getting a job in that industry and pay attention to it more closely than ever. Back when I first started playing, I had absolutely no interest in Japan (although my sisters insist I used to love watching Speed Racer when I was very young), now I obsess over a lot of different parts of the culture. (Though most tend to involve cute female parts of the culture.) And, disappointing to the implications in the original post, I still don't use drugs or drink at all. I've been tempted to break that if I can get hold of some actual German Jaegermeister when I heard it's not legal in the US because it's made with actual deer blood, but that's getting a little bit sidetracked...

During that time, I also played, heavily, maybe a dozen other MUDs. Overdrive, Looney, Highlands III, Duris (of course), a Battletech MUX, umm... holy crap, I can't even remember them all now, and I would be surprised if more than one or two are still up. A few MUD-like games on AOL while they were still free. MMOs... oh god, the MMOs... EQ, AC, AO, DAoC, EQ2, WoW, CoH, Jumpgate, Planetside, DDO, LotRO... brain starting to fail me, let me grab the MMORPG.com list... EVE, RO, Shot Online, Pangya, SWG, Vanguard, Voyage Century, Puzzle Pirates... and lots and lots of Counter Strike.
goroz
Sojourner

Postby goroz » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:37 am

I think I was 15 or 16 when I first started playing...31 now. I have been taking a break from the working world and decided to return to school after god knows how long. I'm now a junior at IPFW majoring in sociology, with a minor in religious studies. I played WoW for a few years, and have since given that addiction up as well. It has been pretty nice to see so many old names floating about this thread. Hope things are going well for everyone.
Jerthal
Sojourner

Postby Jerthal » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:33 am

Can I participate in this as strictly a forum-lurker? It has certainly been a while. There have been so many games and so many names. I get nostalgic for text-based gaming every few years and do a web search for Sojourn which invariably leads me to this forum. I'm glad that many of you are still around--it's nice to recognize several people after so long.

I came to Sojourn near the end of 1994--I would have been 17 at the time--and left just before the split into Duris. Sojourn -> other MUDs (MPV, Rights of Passage, Arctic) -> Everquest -> Age of Empires -> WoW.

Basically, I dropped out of high school to play the aforementioned games. Started a business, got really lucky, and retired early. Spent around five years traveling and spending all that money. Finally decided to go back to school a few years ago, and I'm currently broke and in my fourth year at UCSB. Still playing some WoW, as ashamed as I am to admit it.

I'm not, however, ashamed to admit that some of the best memories of my life are doing City of Brass and Jotunheim with the crew. If anyone remembers me fondly, then I wish you the best. If anyone remembers me bitterly, then I wish you the best as well. See what old age does to you? It's just nice to be remembered.

Jerthal - Crimson Sigil
Adriorn Darkcloak
Sojourner

Postby Adriorn Darkcloak » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:15 am

Sup Jerthal :)

afk, cat vomiting tacos on bed
Jerthal
Sojourner

Postby Jerthal » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:13 am

Adriorn Cacamask Darkcloak, it's great to see you again. How are you? (It was a dog, by the way, not a cat.) Are you still teaching? Any of the other original CSrs around? Actually, I think I will make a separate thread.

Return to “T2 General Discussion Archive”