dreaming the future

Life, the universe, and everything.
Forum rules
- No personal attacks against players or staff members - please be civil!
- No posting of mature images/links, keep content SFW. If it's NSFW, don't post it on these forums.
kwirl
Sojourner

dreaming the future

Postby kwirl » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:49 am

A friend told me recently that she sometimes 'dreamed the future' - to which i, as a natural skeptic, sort of upset her.

my supposition is that sometimes the brain takes events and stores them into a part of your memory already 'allocated' for other memories, for example a dream. so that when something happens, you 'remember' dreaming about it, when in actuality it is just a case of your mind overwriting existing storage space and some artifacts being left behind that make it seem as if you dreamed about it in advance. (using computer terms for familiarity).

i told her that relying on this kind of thinking is dangerous, because it enables you to write off things that happen as 'fate' or 'destiny' and leaving you feeling helpless to these forces, when in reality it is just a case of your brain improperly creating a new memory.

i'm no doctor and don't have any real education, so i could be wrong, but i wanted to throw it out here, among some of the most articulate and pessimistic educated people i know to see if my argument holds up to scrutiny, so i can determine the need to apologize to her or just hold my ground and be supportive.
avak
Sojourner

Re: dreaming the future

Postby avak » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:11 am

Just to be clear....your friend sometimes has dreams about things that might happen and sometimes the things in her dreams do happen?

So, perhaps she will have a dream that she'll get approached by a stranger that asks her the time and then the next day it happens? What level of detail are we talking here?

I guess I'm headed down the path of creative thinking over-analyzing natural coincidences. On the other hand, for some reason it reminded me of Jung's theory on synchronicity.

I don't think enough is known in neuroscience to back your claim about a faulty memory overwrite. Researchers are just starting to unravel how memories are physically stored in the brain. What I've read is that there could be neurons that act like computer switches, but I've heard other people talk about quantum states. Anyway...I'm no expert either, so I could be way off base.
avak
Sojourner

Postby avak » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:13 am

I was thinking more about that synchronicity stuff and I found this snippet about the 'coincidence' theory...

In psychology and cognitive science, confirmation bias is a tendency to search for or interpret new information in a way that confirms one's preconceptions and avoids information and interpretations which contradict prior beliefs. It is a type of cognitive bias and represents an error of inductive inference, or as a form of selection bias toward confirmation of the hypothesis under study or disconfirmation of an alternative hypothesis.
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:46 am

This thread is why you need to lay off the drugs kiddos.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:06 am

avak wrote:I was thinking more about that synchronicity stuff and I found this snippet about the 'coincidence' theory...

In psychology and cognitive science, confirmation bias is a tendency to search for or interpret new information in a way that confirms one's preconceptions and avoids information and interpretations which contradict prior beliefs. It is a type of cognitive bias and represents an error of inductive inference, or as a form of selection bias toward confirmation of the hypothesis under study or disconfirmation of an alternative hypothesis.

In real language: people are stubborn. I love how psychologists tell us things we've intuitively known since the dawn of human interaction. Psych degrees should be renamed B.S. in the Obvious -- psycho analytic PhD's should be renamed PhD in making shit up and charging an arm and a leg to listen to you whine.
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
ssar
Sojourner

Postby ssar » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:02 pm

Gormal wrote:This thread is why you need to lay off the drugs kiddos.

Nonono.. This thread is part of the reason TO DO drugs.

Mmmm, psychadelic..

Actually, I get this a little myself.
I have felt some strange & vague familiarity with a certain situation a few times over the years, hinting at something like this.

Then again, it's probably just coincidental similarities between the occasion and something in a prior dream.
BEER
oteb
Sojourner

Postby oteb » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:21 pm

Dreaming of consequences of your actions that you neglect when awake is in fact quite common.
When she starts to win national lottery after a dream post her number please.
You group-say 'who is da red shape?'
A red shape group-says 'I'm a shape'
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:28 am

If you believe in supernatural beings, like God, then its not a stretch to imagine people may have supernatural abilities. Scientists are regularly proven to be fools when our understanding of the universe is sufficiently broadened.

I believe its possible your friend has a gift, but quite unlikely. Regardless of whether she has a gift or not, what good is it if she can't use it for tangible benefit. Is she going to pour her life into proving she has a gift for what so she can be "right"? Is she going to trust that gift to provide for her income and safety? Her brain, her personality and upbringing and culture may be responsible for whatever this is, whether its real or a figment she created to maintain her own sanity and self worth. Regardless, it would probably be a far better and more rational decision to rely on herself and normal "talents" to provide everything from food, safety and entertainment.

If she is hurt that you don't believe her... then look at the psyche... she is hurt because you don't believe something that is basically unbelievable in conventional terms. She is obviously... got problems. Why don't you challenge her, say hey you should sleep with me because you'll get part of the blessing that god gives a man to bestow on his family. then be really offended when she refuses to have sex with you. No rational person gets mad at someone for believing something that is hard to believe.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:11 pm

I'm very skeptical about claims like these, because there are so many factors that go into why people dream or remember. Often the deja vu associated with a circumstance is related to a similar circumstance, and the memory is a conglomeration of things that really happened, but actually had no relation to the specific event.

There have been too many documented cases of instances that would be completely unexplainable without turning to the supernatural for me to discount it entirely. I'm not a fan of precognition theories, but since science cannot 100% debunk them as myth, then I will not take an absolute stance against them.

As for dreams relating to the supernatural...

I didn't believe it, until it happened to me. One dream changed my entire outlook on some forms of supernatural phenomena. I realize that most others would scoff, but I know what I experienced, and I'll stand by it. I still think the great majority of it is hype, hoax, and hocky, but there's something out there, even if we can't measure it in a laboratory.

While I am not wise, nor intelligent in comparison to many of the people that frequent these boards, I will point to a quote from Socrates that said "All that I know, is that in the scope of all things in this world that there is to know, I know nothing."

Either disprove her theory, or admit that since you cannot disprove it, that it bears a potential for reality, no matter how remote the possibility.
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
Mitharx
Sojourner

Postby Mitharx » Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:09 pm

Ashiwi wrote:There have been too many documented cases of instances that would be completely unexplainable without turning to the supernatural for me to discount it entirely. I'm not a fan of precognition theories, but since science cannot 100% debunk them as myth, then I will not take an absolute stance against them.

As for dreams relating to the supernatural...

I didn't believe it, until it happened to me. One dream changed my entire outlook on some forms of supernatural phenomena. I realize that most others would scoff, but I know what I experienced, and I'll stand by it. I still think the great majority of it is hype, hoax, and hocky, but there's something out there, even if we can't measure it in a laboratory.

While I am not wise, nor intelligent in comparison to many of the people that frequent these boards, I will point to a quote from Socrates that said "All that I know, is that in the scope of all things in this world that there is to know, I know nothing."

Either disprove her theory, or admit that since you cannot disprove it, that it bears a potential for reality, no matter how remote the possibility.

Good science is not really in the realm of working to 100% debunk myths. In fact, it's impossible for anyone to do that. For example, let's say I proposed that the air is actually full of tiny pink elephants that we can not see or feel (something like elephant sub-atomic particles). Scientists could make observations all day about how crazy that is, but all I would have to do is insist that their instruments are not capable of picking up the elephants that are there. No matter what observations were made, you could not 100% debunk my claim.

This is why its important to place the burden of proof on people making claims, not debunking them. People would scoff at your dream and question you because you can not provide them any direct evidence beyond testimony of an event. And testimony of an event is incredibly unreliable as scientific evidence. And I'm not trying to put you down or question your honest believe. My mom and my girlfriends parents all have similar stories. Unfortunately, it's hard for me to believe because I have not experienced it and they all occurred during heightened emotional states (recent death of a close family member). These factors led me to believe that they were probably not the best witnesses at the time, but not to question them out of respect (and to avoid conflict). Basically, they want to believe (which is why anger and conflict would necessarily occur). It gave them comfort. If you can honestly question yourself in this situation and say that you know, with very little double, that what you experienced was real and not driven by your personal motivations, then it's good enough for me. Unfortunately, most people are not really capable of this because it means questioning every aspect of that event and they would much rather just believe than look into it.

Anyway, back to the person with the dreams. I have a very high incidence of deja vu (which I believe is a combination of very natural reactions to stimuli in life and based more on chemical than ethereal). A lot of people like to quickly associate this with being psychic. Being psychic is special and if you question part of what makes someone special (even if it's only in their mind), getting upset is a very reasonable reaction.

To combat this, consider telling her that you want to help her prove that she really has some sort of power. Set up a mini-experiment where she communicates dreams to you as soon as they occur. Then, using a phone camera or what ever she has available, document the events that give her these feelings. It would not be a ton of work for you and could even be fun.

You can then interpret whether or not something is going on. But keep in mind that, even if you discover she is totally incorrect, that you might want to lead her to believe that something "weird" is going on. You can be non-committal and say something like "There wasn't any definite proof, but there were some strange coincidences." This could be important because, as I said, this probably makes her feel special in some way. Also keep in mind that this is a crappy experiment and so would never really prove anything, but it would be a starter if something was really going on.

Which I don't think there is... but hey, prove me wrong.
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:40 am

doin a fuckload of drugs makes you believe shit like this

You guys arguing crack me up.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:20 am

Actually, I haven't done any drugs nor do I drink that often.

I do believe in dreaming the future though. I've had specific images of places/situations. The most memorable one was when I was at my previous job and I had an image of myself, 2 asian people (1 guy 1 girl) sitting next to me listening to some white guy talk next to his monitor at a half-cube type of area. I remember abruptly waking up thinking the dream was very weird and felt quite real. I ended up getting laid off from my job for various reasons and started working at a QA lab a few months later. Turns out I ended up training with those 2 asian people and the white guy was the trainer. Sounds vague, but let me tell you, when the dream becomes reality, it feels alot like what people describe as deja vu.
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:01 am

Umm.. do I even have to say it?

All asian people look alike.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:31 pm

the reality of her gift is completely besides the point.

why is she upset because you don't believe her. why hang out or be friends with someone who requires you to blindly believe. shes probably a nutcase, and you are too if you continue to associate with her.

hang out with more mature people if you want to change your current circumstances. you can't hang out with losers without being sucked into thier world.
avak
Sojourner

Postby avak » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:26 pm

kiryan wrote:the reality of her gift is completely besides the point.

why is she upset because you don't believe her. why hang out or be friends with someone who requires you to blindly believe. shes probably a nutcase, and you are too if you continue to associate with her.

hang out with more mature people if you want to change your current circumstances. you can't hang out with losers without being sucked into thier world.

I take it you're not a scientologist.
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:10 am

On extremely rare occasions I have dreamed of a particular single "frame" of sight that I can recall upon seeing that sight as if it were deja vu.

Believe it or not, it doesn't change the fact that it's real enough to me to entice me to believe that there's a possibility of time being a static function of some sort.

You can attempt to blame it on the brain wanting to associate images with something, but in my cases, every image has more or less been completely random and not even bordering on something useful or meaningful.
Danahg tells you 'yeah, luckily i kept most of it in my mouth and nasal membranes, ugh'

Dlur group-says 'I have a dead horse that I'm dragging down the shaft with my 4 corpses. Anyone want to help me beat it?'

Calladuran: There are other games to play if you want to play with yourself.
kwirl
Sojourner

Postby kwirl » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:22 am

Not being with someone because we don't have completely parallel points of view on our beliefs is rather silly. I enjoy a person for who they are, not for some definable parameters of their personality that are comparable to mine.

I don't like the tv shows she watches, and she doesn't like mine. The music I listen to makes her roll her eyes, and the music she listens to makes me whistle in my head. She likes Anime, which I abhor. I like independent movies and foreign documentaries, which she can't sit through. I love football, she enjoyed Twilight.

What matters to me is that at the end of the day, she is usually happy in my arms, and I enjoy her being there. The fact that we both don't look at everything around us the same just gives us more to talk about, argue, debate, and ultimately have a reason to communicate and be happier with each other.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:11 pm

I am aware that science cannot typically 100% debunk a theory, no matter how far-fetched, which is why I maintain the belief that all things in this universe are possible, no matter how highly improbable.

Kwirl, by placing her theory in the realm of "dangerous thinking" you basically implied that she is not only incorrect in how she thinks, but also reckless. You didn't just question the validity of her theory, you questioned the validity of her personal experience. She got upset for the same reason people get upset at the phrases "You're just imagining things," or "It's all in your mind." You are, essentially, belittling her ability to perceive and separate fact and fiction within her own mind and thought processes. It is possible to be a skeptic on such theories without demeaning those who believe they have personal experience.

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

kwirl
Sojourner

Postby kwirl » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:32 pm

it might be possible, but it isn't easy for me. my stance has always been 'i'll believe it when i see it, or have enough credible evidence to know beyond a shadow of a doubt that someone else actually has seen it themselves.'
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:45 pm

Right, but what she needs out of you isn't an ability to accept her experiences as fact. What she needs from you on something like this is an ability to accept her experiences as her own, unique experiences, each with a value to her that may far outweigh the value that you place on it, without diminishing her for experiencing them or for valuing them higher than you do.

You don't need to accept her experiences as truth, you only need to find a way to discourse with her on the topic without diminishing her as a person for having experienced them.

teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:17 pm

kwirl wrote:A friend told me recently that she sometimes 'dreamed the future' - to which i, as a natural skeptic, sort of upset her.

my supposition is that sometimes the brain takes events and stores them into a part of your memory already 'allocated' for other memories, for example a dream. so that when something happens, you 'remember' dreaming about it, when in actuality it is just a case of your mind overwriting existing storage space and some artifacts being left behind that make it seem as if you dreamed about it in advance. (using computer terms for familiarity).

i told her that relying on this kind of thinking is dangerous, because it enables you to write off things that happen as 'fate' or 'destiny' and leaving you feeling helpless to these forces, when in reality it is just a case of your brain improperly creating a new memory.

i'm no doctor and don't have any real education, so i could be wrong, but i wanted to throw it out here, among some of the most articulate and pessimistic educated people i know to see if my argument holds up to scrutiny, so i can determine the need to apologize to her or just hold my ground and be supportive.

Why are you arguing something she can't 1) prove or 2) show any evidence for?

It's likely an error in her memory. If this is happening often (more than once in a while), I recommend you suggest she seek immediate medical attention.

Otherwise, if she is dreaming the future, have her write down her predictions as soon as she wakes up, so she can have a shread of evidence for herself and for you if she's still trying to convince you.

A person who has lost their memory can tell you that the human mind is not a good place for evidence. It is both fragile and not well understood. That is to say, things stored in memory are not evidence at all.
Last edited by teflor the ranger on Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Teflor does. Teflor does not.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:22 pm

I'm still going to advocate moving on. Find a nice normal chick without these problems if you want to improve your life.

Forget certifications and college and stupid shit like that, stop hanging out and dating wierdos.
Botef
Sojourner

Postby Botef » Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:29 am

Good god this thread is full of lulz. AFK while I stop believing in god because I can't find proof he exists.
Sunamit group-says 'imrex west, tibek backstab touk i think his name is on entry'
// Post Count +1
Mitharx
Sojourner

Postby Mitharx » Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:05 am

From Ashiwi: I am aware that science cannot typically 100% debunk a theory, no matter how far-fetched, which is why I maintain the belief that all things in this universe are possible, no matter how highly improbable.

I'm glad that you're aware and acknowledge this concept as fact. I would, however, question your conclusion (which was my original point). Your argument is basically:

You can not 100% debunk a theory therefore all things are possible, no matter how improbable (if no theories are debunked all theories are viable).

In more general terms this becomes:

You can not prove the unprovable, therefore all things are possible, no matter how improbable. This is literally an argument from ignorance. Let's say it's early in the world and math is only know by a few. I do not know the product of 2,045 * 5. I do not have the tools to figure it out yet (the understanding) and no one around me knows yet. For me, the product of 2,045 * 5 is not knowable. Is it then logical for me to assume that 1, 1 thousand, 1 billion, and 1 million all have equal probabilities of being the product of 2,045 * 5? According to the argument from ignorance, it is. We now know it is not. This example does differ slightly in that there is a definite answer (at least in terms of how we currently view math) to this problem, but my point would be exactly the same if there was not. You can not make assumptions from what you don't know (what you can't prove). It literally terms nothing (no knowledge) into something.

If this insults you, I apologize. It is not my intention. I am really not trying to be personal, but I do understand how personally people often take this type of statement (again, including my own family members). It's not meant as a personal attack. It's just presenting the logical approach to the argument (in the stricter sense of the term, not in the "you're irrational if you disagree" approach - after all, human psychology is very logical).

From Botef: Good god this thread is full of lulz. AFK while I stop believing in god because I can't find proof he exists.

Parallel "lulz" - AFK while I stop believing in tiny pink elephants in the air because I can't find proof they exist. Or
AFK while I stop believing in unicorns because I can't find proof they exist.

The ridiculous positions some people take. "lulz"
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:56 pm

Botef wrote:Good god this thread is full of lulz. AFK while I stop believing in god because I can't find proof he exists.

You can believe, you just shouldn't argue something you have no evidence for.
Teflor does. Teflor does not.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:41 pm

Mitharx, my responses are "yes," "no," "yes, definitely," "very doubtful," "not likely," "don't count on it," "concentrate and ask again," "ask again later," "better not tell you now," and "you may rely on it" in no specific order.

No insult taken, as no insult was given. I will stand by my response, even in my state of ignorance, as we must all remain ignorant of each other's dream experiences. Theories abound, yet at this time they are, each and every one of them, theories. You can generalize and debate semantics if you like, but the theories surrounding this pseudo-science don't even begin to approach the verge of being proven. Until we can, I simply wouldn't call into question somebody else's cognitive abilities over the issue. No matter how much hogwash I think it might be.

That's about the same as telling somebody else they're wrong, and not only wrong, but their thinking is wrong to an irresponsible degree, because they believe in Creationism. The Big Bang theory is still a theory. While I think there's a bit of hogwash on both sides of that coin, I'm not about to take a stance that either side is irrefutably wrong. Personally, I still believe that there's room for common sense in logic. Semantics aside, that is. Accepting that 2+2=4 simply for the sheer weight of evidence supporting it is an exercise in logical faith that I am capable of. Putting my foot down and stating without doubt that there is absolutely no situation in heaven or hell or any known or unknown universe, dimension, or ninth cloud where this will not be true is not something I will do. Surely you see the difference?

Surely you also see the difference between the burden of proof behind your example of 2,045 * 5 and that of paranormal science? While supporting the belief that all things are possible, I am still capable of giving weight to the evidence available which supports a concept. It seems like almost daily the concepts we take for granted as irrefutable fact are being overturned, but that doesn't mean that I can't use common sense and logic to reason that 2,045 * 5 comes to a certain answer when I can do the math, myself.

Unless, of course, some defining theory regarding this issue has been postulated and backed by enough evidence recently for it to be considered a proof of the genre. I haven't followed paranormal sciences to any in-depth degree, so I could very well have missed the breakthrough.

Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:59 pm

Okay... after scolding myself for burning ten minutes of my lunch to type the previous reply.... Before anybody else replies I want to take a moment to remind people that they may possibly be trying to post a serious response in a thread that basically questions the potential for Kwirl's argumentative nature to interfere with his lovelife over his female friend's belief in her own paranormal abilities.

If you still feel the need to delve into the qualitative and quantifiable nature of the subject matter... go on and jump if yer feelin' froggy.

kwirl
Sojourner

Postby kwirl » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:19 pm

what the thread was, and what it is, are not always the same thing
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:06 pm

And that's the most poignant truth I've seen on this BBS in weeks!

Mitharx
Sojourner

Postby Mitharx » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:32 am

I would suggest that we do remain ignorant as to each others experiences in dream states (and may always - depending on how technology develops). In that sense, we are ignorant. However, when someone claims a link between their dreams and reality (which I would hope most of us participate in and can find some way in which to objectively evaluate that test), we can test the validity of that claim. A very basic, but poor, way to do that is, as I suggested above, performing some sort of test. With that said, I'm also hesitant to call people into question for making such claims, but for purely pscyhological reasons. You could say that is the same as dismissing (you do not really believe the claims, therefore you dismiss them), but it's actually just a state of not being sure and running automatic probability generators in my head. So I tend to doubt, but not dismiss and I'm always happy to have that doubt corrected.

In terms of putting your foot down and saying that no situation in which X occurs exists in any type of reality, I'm not asking you to do that. In fact, my point of view was the opposite and an arguement from ignorance would be the one that requires you to do that (because you would be making statements about something which we can not know). This would essentially be 100% debunking something and, as I said above, can not be done.

Because you can not say that a logical truth we accept in this reality will not be different in another reality, does this mean that everything is possible? No. We are attempting to define our reality and as these other realities do not interact with ours in an observable way, there is no reason to believe anything about the logical truths of those realities. They are irrelevant to how we view Kwirl's friend and her potential abilities. If you disagree, the burden of proof is on you to show how they interact.

So to answer your question first question, the difference I see is the difference we started out with.

I really see no difference in the burden of proof between math and paranormal science. Is the phenomena observable under controlled conditions? Psychics can be tested, ghosts can be captured in various media forms (although apparently not in the light for some reason), if you include UFOs they can be captured in various media forms, etc. As I stated above, I think it would be interesting if Kwirl performed his own type of test. We may never come to a complete consensus as the scientific community does not spend too much time with the paranormal, but it's not as if the scientific method is unable to be applied to paranormal events.

As for everyday facts being overturned almost daily, it's done through the logical process I keep pushing. Scientists have formed theories through observations and and testing and when new evidence is found, those theories are changed. New evidence is found all the time and the way of thinking is changed. If the paranormal wants to get close to be accepted as fact, it needs a base of solid evidence. This is why I suggested Kwirl test.

On a side note regarding your statement on the big bang theory, gravity is just a theory too. I think it's a good theory. I could also theorize the sun will come up tomorrow and I would say that's a pretty good theory. These ideas could be observed and tested and we could determine whether or not they are good theories. The same is true with the big bang theory, in many respects (look it up, it's neat). Creationism, on the other hand, is not testable and so not really a scientific theory. That doesn't make it any less or more of a good or bad idea. It just moves it into the proper realm.

As for whether or not what you believe in is wrong, I'm not making a judgement. I am making a judgement on the method used to develop that believe. Let's say I'm driving to a friends house that lives a mile away and I find a route where it takes me fifty miles to get there. The result is just fine. The way you got there didn't really make any sense (assuming you had no intent except to go visit your friend). I would suggest that people reevaluate their methodology and see if they come to the same conclusion. If they do, their argument will be much better. Now, I don't expect you to do that, but that's my general approach.

edit

I'm pretty much done with this conversation. I'm getting the feeling we will not agree and that's fine. So, there's no point in me carrying on.
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:28 pm

Mitharx wrote:A very basic, but poor, way to do that is, as I suggested above, performing some sort of test.

Ever heard of Heisenberg? He had something relevant to say about your so-called "test".
Danahg tells you 'yeah, luckily i kept most of it in my mouth and nasal membranes, ugh'

Dlur group-says 'I have a dead horse that I'm dragging down the shaft with my 4 corpses. Anyone want to help me beat it?'

Calladuran: There are other games to play if you want to play with yourself.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:20 pm

Tasan wrote:
Mitharx wrote:A very basic, but poor, way to do that is, as I suggested above, performing some sort of test.

Ever heard of Heisenberg? He had something relevant to say about your so-called "test".

The uncertainty principle? I don't see how that applies, really. Then again, I'm not a quantum mechanics buff, so I really don't know what you're talking about :)

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:13 pm

lol, quit trying to prove anything and realize whether she can or not should make little difference in your relationship. why waste your time trying to prove to her she's wrong? Can't go very far with that in a relationship. Nor can you sit there and make her prove everything to you before you will believe it. If neither of you can get this shit figured out, you should just move on now.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:24 pm

Actually, I agree with you more than you might think. My willingness to accept the beliefs of others at face value and the potential for wonder and the unexpected in defiance of the predicatable shouldn't be confused with a lack of cynicism when faced with the unproven and patently ridiculous.

Kiryan says it best, though. You can squander a relationship you're happy with in order to prove your significant other wrong, you can ditch the relationship because you think their pattern of thought and logic is so disagreeable with yours that it's not worth your time to pursue, or you can respect their instinct and beliefs when it comes to their experiences without agreeing with them.

I dated a guy once for a very short time who took me by surprise one night by telling me that the spirit of a black panther came to him in his dreams and advised him, even giving him knowledge of the future in small glimpses. He wasn't even good enough in the sack for me to consider trying to work around that.

kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:43 am

lol, guess he should've channeled black panther in the bedroom instead of getting stupid visions of the future.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:06 am

kiryan wrote:lol, guess he should've channeled black panther in the bedroom instead of getting stupid visions of the future.

ahaha

Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:08 pm

Girl I know from WoW kept having a recurring nightmare two nights ago that her apt building was on fire, she knew everything was fine, still kept waking her up.

Went in to work yesterday to find a coworkers new apt building across town had burned down, lucky he hadnt moved in yet.

Who is to say what is whacky and what isn't? We as gamers all evovled from playing a tabletop RPG to a text based RPG online to a graphical world where we kill dragons, faeries, other critters .. other see us as odd, how many times have you had to explain to neighbors, family, coworkers what exactly it is you are doing .. and how can you read that wall of text that scrolls by and why it is so damn important that you cant just hit pause?

Another one of my stories, sorry :)
"When a child is born, so is a grandmother."

-Italian Proverb

Return to “T2 General Discussion Archive”