Plasma vs. DLP vs. LCD

Life, the universe, and everything.
Forum rules
- No personal attacks against players or staff members - please be civil!
- No posting of mature images/links, keep content SFW. If it's NSFW, don't post it on these forums.
Thilindel
Sojourner

Plasma vs. DLP vs. LCD

Postby Thilindel » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:35 pm

So far, I've got a 60" DLP lined up for Christmas but, given how ignorant I am of electronics, now I'm told PS3/Wii can 'burn' tvs or images..negative after-image or something like that? Who knows which is best and what not?
Grundar tells you 'I took on the entire football team once. The only reason my mom knew later was because I had a runny nose'
kiryan
Sojourner

Re: Plasma vs. DLP vs. LCD

Postby kiryan » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:46 pm

We have a samsung "touch of color" something650, its a 65" plasma, list price was like 4k or something. The first one had a manufacturing defect (part of plastic covering the screen was stuck between the bezel and the display. The replacement, also new, died on Sunday. We were watching it then suddenly it just died, apparently something is cracked. The repair guy called samsung and their first response is that its not covered because we might have damaged it. We called the place where we bought it (and a 5 year warranty) to see what the next step is.

Other than that, I like the picture and the brightness. I do think it runs a little hot which besides the damage that heat causes to electronic things, you have energy consumption.

A lot of tv's have video game settings which move the picture around on the screen a little to prevent burn in in a lot of cases. its supposedly impercetible.. i mean how can you realistically tell the screen moved 5 pixels to the left and down once every 15 minutes or something?

I'm a big fan of DLP, but decided to go with plasma for the thin profile. Either way, this is something I would and do buy extended warranties to cover. There is too much that can go wrong and the are too expensive to rely on a 1 year warranty. The new 120hz LCD tvs are sexy and bright enough to be a viable alternative to plasma.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:01 pm

Thilindel wrote:So far, I've got a 60" DLP lined up for Christmas but, given how ignorant I am of electronics, now I'm told PS3/Wii can 'burn' tvs or images..negative after-image or something like that? Who knows which is best and what not?

I don't _think_ DLP's suffer from burn-in. I know mine's been fine with games, however it's not a normal DLP, it uses OLEDs instead of a normal lamp.

Agree with Kiryan on the warranty though, mine broke 13 months after I bought it and it cost $400 to fix. Stupid green LED...
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:35 am

I went with LCD and haven't had any of those problems on my wii or 360. I honstly thought the burn-in problem was a crt problem.
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:02 am

Kifle wrote:I went with LCD and haven't had any of those problems on my wii or 360. I honstly thought the burn-in problem was a crt problem.

Old CRTs had this problem, which is why screensavers were invented. I'm pretty sure modern CRTs don't have an issue though.

I'm pretty sure LCD and Plasma both had problems with burn in early on, however I believe both have developed strategies to minimize the issue.
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:48 am

woo thanks for the replies so far. I wasn't asked about a warranty so I'm going in tomorrow to try to add it. Supposed to be 200 more according to BestBuy's site.
Grundar tells you 'I took on the entire football team once. The only reason my mom knew later was because I had a runny nose'
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:02 pm

Burn-in is technically possible, but more than likely won't happen.
Danahg tells you 'yeah, luckily i kept most of it in my mouth and nasal membranes, ugh'

Dlur group-says 'I have a dead horse that I'm dragging down the shaft with my 4 corpses. Anyone want to help me beat it?'

Calladuran: There are other games to play if you want to play with yourself.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:45 pm

We'll I got an update on my f**King 4k plasma. Samsung is trying its damndest to not warranty the sucker and the extended warranty doesn't take into affect till after the manufacturer warranty.

theres a crack from the bottom of the screen up about 3". This is supposedly from "physical damage" which is not covered. I got escalated, so waiting to find out if they are going to warranty this or if I'm going to have to sue. 6 week old TV and they're trying to say you're out 4k. We were watchin TV and it suddenly jus stopped working; there was no "physical damage" like we threw something at the screen.

At this point, I would not recommend a plasma or a samsung or the store "video only".
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:28 pm

FYI, besides any applicable state laws, there is a Federal law that applies to warranty cases such as this. The Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act. If you win a case under that statute you are entitled to recover your attorney fees. Often a letter from a lawyer is enough to get a replacement or at least warranty service. Its an expensive proposition for them to fight a case like this. They will end up having to pay their own lawyers, your lawyer, and replace the TV anyway.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
ssar
Sojourner

Postby ssar » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:17 pm

Some modern Digitial Light Processing Rear Projection Televisions are well worth considering/examining as thier price and picture quality has improved markedly over the past decade or so.

They were better suited to rooms that you could darken considerably, or nighttime viewing (moreso than Plasma & LCD Flat Panel televisions), but they have improved greatly in this area apparently.

I am unsure of the relative effective power consumption of such units compared to other options, but I beleive if that is found to be reasonable then they can be a good option.

As for screen burn-in, it's possible with most televisions if the same image is displayed on the screen long enough.

Apparently these days it is quite difficult to do this as the technologies they have developed in all modern display units and types handle this kind of thing much better.

And gaming was found to facilitate more frequent same-image display cuz of the nature of them.

I'd still take care not to display the same image(s) for extended frequent periods, but you've probably got little to worry about unless you leave it and your console on for nights on end accidentally or something.

Here in Australia Sony, Panasonic, Samsung & Pioneer appear to be the most popular and well-reviewed manufacturers of Flat panel television displays anyway.
But DLP Rear Projction TVs haven't caught on much at all yet, and/or are still too expensive here to snag much of the market.

I have seen more DLP front projector units set up on a suitably-coloured feature wall in a dark room or with a drop-down projector screen, than Rear Projection units still.
BEER
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:32 pm

the problem with gaming burn in is usually the status bars/windows and framing around those kinds of things.

If they don't get off their ass, I will get a lawyer to send a letter. However, I don't want them to get off with just replacing the unit (with a brand new unit not a refurb). If I have to get a lawyer, I want something additional for having to waste my time and be irritated for the past week.

Any suggestions on how to negotiate that assuming they respond immediately to a letter by authorizing the replacement? Once they've agreed to the replacement, theres no leverage of a case anymore is there? I'd have to file the suit, then negotiate a settlement wouldn't I?

I'm hellafied pissed if you can't tell.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:04 pm

well.. I think that my tv problem is resolved. Samsung just agreed to replace it, but I had to call escalate and call the service center to tell them what to enter on the ticket (about the crack not being in the surface glass) and then call Samsung back to complete the job.

Lessons learned, don't let an incompetent boob handle the meeting with the repair man and watch out for incompetent repair men. If the repair man had stated that the "crack" was internal to the TV (rather than just saying it has a crack) then they would not have classified it as a "physical damage" (ie you threw something at the TV) and I could've avoided all this irritation. Now all I have to do is deal with the irritation that I'll probably get a refurb unit.

Another thing, if you get a TV and its defective, make your vendor process a full return and a fresh sale to get your 30 days worth. If I had done this and was within a fresh 30 days, I would've just taken the TV back and told them to shove it.

Simply bullshit, I can't believe you don't get more respect buying high end stuff anymore.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:45 pm

Sucks when people see you as a dollar and not as a person, eh?

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:48 pm

it sucks when people dick you around like you are a dollar instead of 4,000 dollars. I expect this kind of service at the days inn, not the hilton.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:39 pm

kiryan wrote:well.. I think that my tv problem is resolved. Samsung just agreed to replace it, but I had to call escalate and call the service center to tell them what to enter on the ticket (about the crack not being in the surface glass) and then call Samsung back to complete the job.

Lessons learned, don't let an incompetent boob handle the meeting with the repair man and watch out for incompetent repair men. If the repair man had stated that the "crack" was internal to the TV (rather than just saying it has a crack) then they would not have classified it as a "physical damage" (ie you threw something at the TV) and I could've avoided all this irritation. Now all I have to do is deal with the irritation that I'll probably get a refurb unit.

Another thing, if you get a TV and its defective, make your vendor process a full return and a fresh sale to get your 30 days worth. If I had done this and was within a fresh 30 days, I would've just taken the TV back and told them to shove it.

Simply bullshit, I can't believe you don't get more respect buying high end stuff anymore.

Welcome to the free market! ;)

Glad you're TV's getting replaced though. I know the pain of not having a TV for weeks on end... I had to start playing PC games again!

Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:00 pm

You would have been much better off if government was in the business of manufacturing TV's.

*roll*
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:18 pm

Yeah, that's what I said. :roll:

Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:27 pm

Sarvis wrote:Welcome to the free market! ;)

So apparently the free market is not acceptable. Where are TV's supposed to come from then?

Goddamned slippery mage.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:36 pm

You know, I get accused of arguing to much... but when I make a simple joke you have to go and misinterpret it and try to start an argument.

teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:00 pm

Sarvis wrote:You know, I get accused of arguing to much... but when I make a simple joke you have to go and misinterpret it and try to start an argument.

Ambar is right. You do seem to need a hug.
Teflor does. Teflor does not.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:01 pm

Kifle wrote:Sucks when people see you as a dollar and not as a person, eh?

Except when they hate people more than money.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:38 pm

Sarvis wrote:You know, I get accused of arguing to much... but when I make a simple joke you have to go and misinterpret it and try to start an argument.

My mistake. I didn't realize you were joking. I thought you were trying to politicize a routine consumer dispute.

Goddamned slippery mage.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:38 pm

Corth wrote:

My mistake. I didn't realize you were joking. I thought you were trying to politicize a routine consumer dispute.

I think he was making an ironic observation in that a proponent of free market is pissed at free market practices. I thought it was funny.

kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:08 pm

I don't get the free market remakrs. What exactly does samsung not replacing their defective product, covered under their warranty, have to do with free market?

I just got the we're going to go ahead and replace it now that the authorized service center has declared its not "physical damage" email from samsung. It looks like to me that the most important thing to do when you have a warranty replacemen issue is to butter up the repair man with drinks and make sure he sides with you on the warranty claim.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:31 pm

kiryan wrote:I don't get the free market remakrs. What exactly does samsung not replacing their defective product, covered under their warranty, have to do with free market?

Last I checked they were part of it. You were angry about how they were treating you.. almost as if free market pressures didn't push them to treat you the way you think you should be.

teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:55 am

Sarvis wrote:
kiryan wrote:I don't get the free market remakrs. What exactly does samsung not replacing their defective product, covered under their warranty, have to do with free market?

Last I checked they were part of it. You were angry about how they were treating you.. almost as if free market pressures didn't push them to treat you the way you think you should be.

I know the Soviets would have treated him to free exercise - for life!
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:23 am

I don't see any problem with how free market forces are working... If they approved every single warranty claim, prices would go up as they replaced TVs for morons who dropped them. I do have a problem with the particular idiots that handled my case and you can be sure I will be thinking 2x next time I consider a samsung product, but that has nothing to do with the free market.
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:14 pm

So there is nothing wrong a with a company that does some research on a TV they installed 6 weeks ago to a family with 5 kids under a certain age that they are having to replace 6 weeks later because of a crack, internal OR external ..

Your outrage of your perceived mistreatment has me giggling

*hug*

sorry it just made me giggle, totally nothing personal, nothing against you or your family, just made me giggle
"When a child is born, so is a grandmother."

-Italian Proverb
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:11 pm

kiryan wrote:I don't see any problem with how free market forces are working... If they approved every single warranty claim, prices would go up as they replaced TVs for morons who dropped them. I do have a problem with the particular idiots that handled my case and you can be sure I will be thinking 2x next time I consider a samsung product, but that has nothing to do with the free market.

I'm sorry, but are you claiming that the free market doesn't thrive on individual experience with companies and thereby allows the "best" companies to float to the top when the general consensus is better service/quality?

Hmm...
Danahg tells you 'yeah, luckily i kept most of it in my mouth and nasal membranes, ugh'

Dlur group-says 'I have a dead horse that I'm dragging down the shaft with my 4 corpses. Anyone want to help me beat it?'

Calladuran: There are other games to play if you want to play with yourself.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:11 pm

Ambar wrote:So there is nothing wrong a with a company that does some research on a TV they installed 6 weeks ago to a family with 5 kids under a certain age that they are having to replace 6 weeks later because of a crack, internal OR external ..

Your outrage of your perceived mistreatment has me giggling

*hug*

sorry it just made me giggle, totally nothing personal, nothing against you or your family, just made me giggle

But he spent 4k!! Not 1 dollar!

Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:09 am

One weird thing about this TV (DLP) is that it takes a little bit to turn on. Some reason, I'd never thought to ask. Not sure if the plasma/LCD type was this way as well. But damn, Rockband plays AWESOME on it! :)
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:40 am

who did any research? The repair man said its got a crack in it, samsung says oh thats physical damage so its not covered. They didn't bother to look and note that the crack was in the display behind the glass, or that professional movers brought it from the vendor directly to our house and placed it in its location. If they had done their job properly then I wouldn't have had to waste my time. Instead they just tried to claim it wasn't covered and save 1-2k replacing the screen.

Tasan, what free market forces are working to give me shitty repair / warranty service. Samsung is actively trying to lift its reputation and be tantamount to the Korean Sony. When you are competing for the high end customer and reputation, how does it benefit them to treat them like a low end, low profit margin customer? I don't buy very much low end shit, I buy higher quality shit and pay more for it because I expect good product and service.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:42 pm

kiryan wrote:who did any research? The repair man said its got a crack in it, samsung says oh thats physical damage so its not covered. They didn't bother to look and note that the crack was in the display behind the glass, or that professional movers brought it from the vendor directly to our house and placed it in its location. If they had done their job properly then I wouldn't have had to waste my time. Instead they just tried to claim it wasn't covered and save 1-2k replacing the screen.

Tasan, what free market forces are working to give me shitty repair / warranty service. Samsung is actively trying to lift its reputation and be tantamount to the Korean Sony. When you are competing for the high end customer and reputation, how does it benefit them to treat them like a low end, low profit margin customer? I don't buy very much low end shit, I buy higher quality shit and pay more for it because I expect good product and service.

You honestly think Sony would have given you better customer service? Frankly, it wouldn't be surprising if they both outsourced the customer service jobs to the same company. You could even end up talking to the very same reps!

ssar
Sojourner

Postby ssar » Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:56 pm

Thilindel wrote:One weird thing about this TV (DLP) is that it takes a little bit to turn on. Some reason, I'd never thought to ask. Not sure if the plasma/LCD type was this way as well.

I have heard a range of reports about varying durations for thier sets to turn on.

Our Panasonic 50" Plasma takes around 4-5 seconds, each time the same, quite acceptable.

Whilst some others take a cppl of secs longer etc.

I think under 8 secs is prolly fine, but more importantly significant variations in this time may be a cause for concern.
BEER
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:30 pm

ssar wrote:
Thilindel wrote:One weird thing about this TV (DLP) is that it takes a little bit to turn on. Some reason, I'd never thought to ask. Not sure if the plasma/LCD type was this way as well.

I have heard a range of reports about varying durations for thier sets to turn on.

Our Panasonic 50" Plasma takes around 4-5 seconds, each time the same, quite acceptable.

Whilst some others take a cppl of secs longer etc.

I think under 8 secs is prolly fine, but more importantly significant variations in this time may be a cause for concern.

Yeah, my LCD takes around 2-4s to turn completely on. I'm sure there's a reason for the delay, and I wouldn't worry about it. Hell, my old school television that's in my room still takes around 5 seconds to give a picture, but it has some retarded intro...

kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:59 am

They probably do use the same ASE, but my experiences with Sony and IBM on the computer side have been very good.

Never had any problem with either of the Sony TVs I bought in the past. I wanted to go with the 6k sony projector, but it just doesn't work in this particular room.
Alta
Sojourner

Postby Alta » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:03 am

Probably too late now, but Samsung is the suck!
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:57 am

Alta wrote:Probably too late now, but Samsung is the suck!

I actually love their LCD computer monitors. I've had the one I gave the wife for nearly 4 years now and it's perfect.

kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:57 pm

I just watched a couple of movies on a new 40something inch 120 hz samsung LCD tv... It didn't look right compared to my Samsung plasma. It looked like it had too much contrast, even though we changed the settings to "movie".

Gonna take the bluray ove to his house and watch the same movie again see if it makes a difference. It was really bad if you ask me.

Return to “T2 General Discussion Archive”