Board Game recommendations?

Life, the universe, and everything.
Forum rules
- No personal attacks against players or staff members - please be civil!
- No posting of mature images/links, keep content SFW. If it's NSFW, don't post it on these forums.
Callarduran
Staff Member - Admin

Board Game recommendations?

Postby Callarduran » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:06 pm

I'm a bit (ok, more than a bit) of a board game fan, however with Christmas being over, I've got some money left to use that I was specifically instructed to use to buy games with. No bad thing, but I'm a bit stuck at the moment as to what I should get. I was curious if anyone had any recommendations.

My current game library includes -

Descent (a great dungeon delving game, reminiscent of the old Hero Quest game)
Arkham Horror (cooperative game where the board kicks your ass..a lot. I have yet to win against Cthulhu. Yig is a wuss)
Curse of the Dark Pharoh expansion
Android (Just got it, but seems to be a great game so far. Competitive detective game with some interesting mechanics.)
Fury of Dracula (detective game hunting down Dracula across Europe, very fun)
Settlers of Catan
Cities and Knights expansion
5-6 player expansion
Order of the Stick (Of course! Haley is a hideously broken character)
Talisman
Ticket to Ride
MunchkinQuest
Mutant Chronicles
Star Wars Epic Duals (always good for a fast game)

Most of the standard board games (Monopoly, Clue, Risk, Apples to Apples, etc. Think I even have Candyland laying around somewhere..)

Card Games -
Ninja Burger
Chez Geek (1, 2, and 3)
Chez Goth
Flux
Five Crowns
Lunch Money
--There needs to be a word for the irrational desire to reason with the delusional.

Oghma OOC: 'Please use me.'
Ragorn
Sojourner

Re: Board Game recommendations?

Postby Ragorn » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:11 pm

Cranium, good grownup-party game
Robo Rally

There are several expansions to Fluxx, and Lunch Money also has an expansion.

But hell, you've got Arkham, Catan, Fluxx, and Lunch Money... what else does one need, really?
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:10 pm

The only boardgame that really matters is Scrabble!

"Existed" was the best combination I ever had on an opening play. I retired after that, because you just can't beat it.
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
Callarduran
Staff Member - Admin

Postby Callarduran » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:20 pm

Existed..yeah, that would be a tough one to beat.

Yep, we got Scrabble. Some deluxe version that has a swiveling base so you can turn it to the person who's turn it is. My mother-in-law loved Scrabble, until we taught her Settlers of Catan and Ticket to Ride. Now we hardly ever play Scrabble with her anymore.

I had completely forgotten about the expansion to Lunch Money. Love that game. I'm debating some of the other expansions to Arkham Horror. I'm intrigued by the ones that add an additional board, but I'm not sure that I would ever have a table large enough to set it up on. Just the base game takes up enough room!
--There needs to be a word for the irrational desire to reason with the delusional.

Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:05 pm

Yeah lack of table real estate is our biggest problem too. Also, Arkham is complex enough as it is... don't know that we need additional rules mucking it up. We also don't like C&K of Catan for the same reason. Catan is a perfect game as it is, they didn't need to muddy it up with town progression and barbarians.

Our Lunch Money house rules:

1) Jab is free. You can use it any time, on any player, even when it's not your turn.
2) Headbutt and choke are removed from the deck.
3) If you attack someone with Hail Mary, and you miss, you're going to lose. It's not a rule per se, it's more like karma.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Botef
Sojourner

Postby Botef » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:10 pm

Sequence is a good board/card game.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/2375
Sunamit group-says 'imrex west, tibek backstab touk i think his name is on entry'
// Post Count +1
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:28 pm

My favorite boardgame of all time would be Stratego.

Played a game called Axis and Allies a long time ago that was amazing fun.. not sure if they still make it.

I'm a board game noob.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
oteb
Sojourner

Postby oteb » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:19 pm

http://www.gipf.com/yinsh/index.html
2 person board game. Something in between checkers, gomoku and go. Simple rules and real fun gameplay.
You group-say 'who is da red shape?'
A red shape group-says 'I'm a shape'
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:51 pm

Ashiwi and Corth got it: Stratego and Scrabble. There's a 4-player ultimate stratego, but you need to tweak the rules a bit so certain pieces aren't too powerful. But I play with slightly custom rules for regular too (spy becomes assassin).
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:04 pm

Oh wow, this takes me back. I used to play Risk for days and days and days.

And Pente... gotta love Pente.

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Eilistraee
Staff Member - Quests

Postby Eilistraee » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:15 pm

I love Axis and Allies as a game.

Shogun from the same maker was also wicked fun with a similar play approach but with randomized turns which really made you have to be able to adapt your strategies.

And Talisman is always fun.
Eilistraee
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:49 pm

Railbaron is my favorite game i think. Its kind of like monopoly but you buy rail lines and charge people to ride them. With multiple raillines servicing any given city, it can be a game of developing your own access to cities or of monopolizing cities or regions. Phenomenal game, but out of print for a # of years and very expensive on ebay. There is an electronic version, rbplayer which is a very good adaptation. The most irritating part of playing rail baron is looking up the payouts. 1.5-2.5 hours for 4 players

Acquire is a good game. You draw tiles and play them to build "companies" (2 adjacent tiles) then you buy up stocks in these companies until they are "merged" by connecting two companies. Shorter game (1 hour) but also takes playing a couple times before you get a feel for the dynamics. If you play wrong, you end up spending the game sitting on stocks and companies that don't perform... locking you out of the rest of the game. Not a good game for first timers unless you can articulate the dynamics to them well. Certainly not a game where you can choose a company and ride it to victory, you have to change your investment strategy turn by turn. 1-1.5 hours for 6 players

Starfarers of Cataan is one of my favorites although everything in the box is shaped like a penis and its even ribbed for her pleasure. Game is a building/expanding and trading game, you basically can't be directly aggressive towards other players. 1.5-2.5 hour game for 4 players

axis and allies one of my favorites, I just saw it on sale for like $50 (damn independent game prices). Its like risk except without the backstabbing (teams are predefined) and the course of the first few turns is almost essentially predetermined by the initial layout. If you play japan you have a buildup of aircraft and ships that give you a significant advantage attacking pearl harbor. The russians have a build up of tanks in east europe and obivously press towards germany. Germans have a fleet of bombers that allows them to rain havoc down on the UK factories. Americans take pearl harbor back, but end up doing a lot of tech and preparing to send forces to europe which takes several turns (kinda like the US's late entry into the war). It is however a long game to play and you really need 5 players. I'd say 2.5-3.5 hours. Really a phenomenal game. I amazingly defended pearl harbor once and Axis got destroyed in turn 4. Seriously my vote for the coolest game ever, just not a game you can play anytime you want. Been wanting to try the online version.

I didn't care for shogun too much. Feels very much like risk to me which I get tired of being ganged up on or being tempted to bargain / deceive my way to victory.

Risk 2520 or 25k or something was an ok game. Added several new dynamics that I felt made it more possible to try and win independently.

Castle risk is a good one because you can lose instantly if you don't defend your castle well enough. The lack of decisive victories in regular risk tends to make it drone on for me and get people locked into grudge matches.
Alta
Sojourner

Postby Alta » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:14 pm

Ah, Kiryan... I love all those games. I think Aquire is my favorite, followed closely by Railbaron. Castle Risk Rules. I also like Settlers and all the ones like it. I like regular Risk. I hate scrabble, but I'm not a word person. If I were to suggest anything, go with Railbaron or Aquire. I have also enjoyed a game called "diplomacy" in the past, even though I think I lost, but I think you have to play it with the right kind of people. I have never been fond of Cranium. Maybe that's another you have to play with the right people. Little games like Uno and Phase 10 can be fun and mindless. I even like Yahtzee! But from the sound of your board game collection, I would suggest Aquire or Railbaron. Either that or you could get back into Magic, the Gathering. I play the World of Warcraft trading card game with Kiryan, our kids and the geeks down at the card shop.... it's good, and you don't have to invest that much to play it. You can win with common cards. And I think it plays better than Magic did. Helpful suggestions, I hope. I LOVE boardgames. It's too bad Kiryan doesn't like to play them with me.

Vena
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:56 pm

Risk is trash. There's no strategy or skill involved, its just the luck of the dice.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:57 pm

I'd rather be on the computer princess.

I never liked diplomacy. People start playing to make sure you don't win because you alwyas win. Also the game is too slow. You go through rounds of negotation between turns so it doesnt make sense to do it in a sitting because you can hear everyone else. The best way I've ever played it was over the course of a couple weeks we did a couple of turns a day. its just too slow and too dependent on alliances for my taste.

I played monopoly once, had rainbow properites. No one would make a halfway reasonable deal with me. So finally, I gave the last place player a monopoly and said, now the res of you will trade with me or we all die. We all died and he won.
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:37 pm

I like Killer Bunnies... though the ultimate end result of the game is (more or less) completely arbitrary... which can be a bit much to swallow for the more competitive types.
Danahg tells you 'yeah, luckily i kept most of it in my mouth and nasal membranes, ugh'

Dlur group-says 'I have a dead horse that I'm dragging down the shaft with my 4 corpses. Anyone want to help me beat it?'

Calladuran: There are other games to play if you want to play with yourself.
Kissa
Sojourner

Postby Kissa » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:08 am

Carcassonne is a pretty fun board game
can get really competative.
Callarduran
Staff Member - Admin

Postby Callarduran » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:09 am

Yeah, Killer Bunnies is fun in premise, and even fun to play depending on what you pull up, but the resolution of who wins is crap. The better you do in the game just gives you better odds of winning. Completely random.

I love regular Settlers, and Cities and Knights. Just depends on the mood that I'm in at the time. The additional rules of C&K are fun imo, but the simplistic complexity of regular Catan is a blast.

Ragorn, from what I've seen so far, the small expansions of Arkham don't really add any new rules, just a few new cards. I have the Curse of the Dark Pharaoh expansion, and the only new rules that it really adds are with the Museum Relics. The only new rule with those is that whenever you would draw (not buy) a unique item, you can draw either a Unique or a Relic. I'd recommend looking into the smaller expansions. I am wary about adding the new boards though, as those probably include a mess of new rules.

Acquire! Man, I loved that game. I had completely forgotten about it until now. I always sucked at playing it, but loved it. I've also heard good things about Carcassonne, but would like to play it before buying it.

Axis and Allies was fun the one or two times I played it. We tried playing it many times, but people would just wander off 1/2 way through the setup. :)

I recently picked up Android (put out by Fantasy Flight Games). Complex rules, as one comes to expect from their games, but from our first game, it's a lot of fun to play. They played around with creating some new mechanics (or putting a new spin on old mechanics). I've currently got a love/hate relationship with the method of "solving" the crime. I think overall I like it though.

Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:36 am

Kiryan

I've played more than my share of monopoly and that is a strategy that works very nicely. If nobody will give you a monopoly, give a monopoly to someone who is in pretty bad shape (and can't complete a monopoly for you), but get a few useful pieces and especially money in return. Then others are forced to trade with you, and you have the upper hand because you got all that loot from the first guy. Also, orange monopoly is the best in the game. Most bang for the buck when you start building on it. Yellow is decent. Green monopoly is the worst since its too expensive to build on. I don't usually buy them even if they are vacant. Only if I think I can sucker someone into a trade with it. Dark blue of course is very good.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:58 am

Well good to hear that the strategy was valid, which means it was me.

I gave the guy baltic/mediterranean dark purple monopoly for his other properties he had maybe 400 cash. The people I was trying to negotiate with wanted things like 2 monopoly for 1 or a monopoly plus 2.6k in cash (basically all my cash). It was absolutely ridiculous, but their contention was they didn't think they could win if I didn't give up my lead. I couldn't get anyone to strike a fair deal that wouldn't basically put me 1 bad roll away from losing my advantage / properties. I might've won long term by just sitting around for 100 turns, but I wasn't about to do that either.
Alta
Sojourner

Postby Alta » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:19 am

Corth wrote:Kiryan

I've played more than my share of monopoly and that is a strategy that works very nicely. If nobody will give you a monopoly, give a monopoly to someone who is in pretty bad shape (and can't complete a monopoly for you), but get a few useful pieces and especially money in return. Then others are forced to trade with you, and you have the upper hand because you got all that loot from the first guy. Also, orange monopoly is the best in the game. Most bang for the buck when you start building on it. Yellow is decent. Green monopoly is the worst since its too expensive to build on. I don't usually buy them even if they are vacant. Only if I think I can sucker someone into a trade with it. Dark blue of course is very good.

Orange is bank. I prefer light blues to yellows though. Green are the suck. And I've played with Kiryan. He pretty much sucks at Monopoly and gets pissy even if he's winning. He threatens to spank children if they skip him in Phase 10 so they always skip me and he gets upset when I still win. He seriously has issues around boardgames and his sister won't even play them, she says because her brother cheated to win so she hates playing, so I think it goes back to childhood. Even today, he will cheat at a boardgame to win and gets mad when I call him on it. You know, the more I think about it, the more I'm glad you don't play games with me, Kiryan. Stick to computers... they keep you from cheating... and I pwn you in Warcraft II!
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:34 am

i divorce you
i divorce you
i divorce you

its a good thing we aren't muslim, cuz you'd be pwnd.
Alta
Sojourner

Postby Alta » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:36 am

kiryan wrote:i divorce you
i divorce you
i divorce you

its a good thing we aren't muslim, cuz you'd be pwnd.

Sheesh.... Truth hurts.
daggaz
Sojourner

Postby daggaz » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:51 pm

Axis and Allies 2nd edition was great fun, but after you learn the ins and outs you realize it is both out of balance and a total stalemate when you do finally balance it do to some game mechanics that were, funny enough, mentioned on a thread on these forums about how games stagnate.

I would highly, highly recommend Axis and Allies Revised Edition. Me and my friends play this one for hours on end, and they've gone a long ways to balancing it and keeping it from being a dead-end. Definitely worth the money as it is hands down the best strategy game Ive come across in all my years of gaming.

Settlers is my new love. SO damn good for so little complexity (I prefer cities and castles version tho).

Monopoly? Its been years. The first and third sides of the board are best, as well as railroads and utilities.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:32 pm

utilities are weak!

Goddamned slippery mage.
Alta
Sojourner

Postby Alta » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:01 pm

Corth wrote:utilities are weak!

Corth, we would pwn Daggaz at monopoly. 1st and 3rd, psssh! Utilities?!? Are you serious? I almost don't buy them, unless I know I am playing with suckas that I can trade them to. Railroads are fun, but you do not win with them alone. You may keep a little cash flow with them, that's it. You could win with Oranges alone.
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:12 pm

Its all about dem yeller props.
Alta
Sojourner

Postby Alta » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:14 pm

Gormal wrote:Its all about dem yeller props.

Oh, yay! You play monopoly? We should have boardgame night! I'll introduce you to Aquire.
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:46 am

Stratego/Scrabble, lets do this.

I also enjoy Settlers, a2a, and scattegories.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:30 am

Just had a leeroy jenkins moment reading that.

Goddamned slippery mage.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:36 am

Alta wrote:

Corth, we would pwn Daggaz at monopoly. 1st and 3rd, psssh! Utilities?!? Are you serious? I almost don't buy them, unless I know I am playing with suckas that I can trade them to. Railroads are fun, but you do not win with them alone. You may keep a little cash flow with them, that's it. You could win with Oranges alone.

One day when Monopoly receives the recognition it deserves we can team up and pwn these punks in formal competition. I'm thinking something along the lines of the pair from "Kingpin". We can come out of nowhere and take the championship trophy in Vegas. Weren't they going to make Monopoly into an olympic sport?!?

Daggaz can be our monopoly sparring partner. Or waterboy or something. That guy pulled the biggest Munson.

Goddamned slippery mage.
Alta
Sojourner

Postby Alta » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:49 am

Corth wrote:
Alta wrote:

One day when Monopoly receives the recognition it deserves we can team up and pwn these punks in formal competition. I'm thinking something along the lines of the pair from "Kingpin". We can come out of nowhere and take the championship trophy in Vegas. Weren't they going to make Monopoly into an olympic sport?!?

Daggaz can be our monopoly sparring partner. Or waterboy or something. That guy pulled the biggest Munson.

Oooooooooooh! I think the waterboy needs to bring rum drinks. You know, in Vegas after all.
Lorendel Ebonmist
Sojourner

Postby Lorendel Ebonmist » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:29 pm

Love Stratego, Love Risk, Love Axis and Allies, could own you all in Monopoly while sleeping,

It's always good to have Rock'em Sock'em Robots around...to avoid all the Domestic Dispute Arrests, .."...oh yeah..well FU...I'll kick your ass right now Bi*tch...where's the rockem sockem robots at.." then there's laughing wrestling and make up sex afterwards.

[{Plus the goat sucks at it} Just so I didn't have to hear it from Gormal]

SSI or was it GDW, had a game we loved to play that I wish they would make a 'puter ver of called Twilight 2000. (Post-Apocalyptic Limited Nuclear War Milieu). And I really also liked playing RIFTS! Talislanta.. is good too. If you have the time for the learning curve.

I would love to see a table-top version of Civilization (TM). That would be great fun....hrm...

Can never go wrong with Chess either. We used build a board 16x16 or 16x16 4-player. But its just timeless. Or just a really cool figurine Chess game. We would use are DND minitures.(painstakingly hand-painted and customed with a 3 hair paintbrush....)

Oh and one more ..very cool..an AFX track.
[size=85]Projection makes perception. The world you see is what you give it, nothing more than that... it is a witness of your state of mind, the outside picture of an inward condition. As a man thinketh, so does he perceive. - Anonymous.
[Confuscious say Look and you shall see]
"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl[*]
kwirl
Sojourner

Postby kwirl » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:44 pm

kwirl
Sojourner

Postby kwirl » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:49 pm

also, try http://www.usaopoly.com/corporate_sales.php, and make a Toril-themed monopoly! Woot!
kwirl
Sojourner

Postby kwirl » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:58 pm

actually i came across this - http://www.micropoly.com/ which is an open source project that provides tools to create your own custom monopoly games that can be played online, thus resolving many of the monopoly challenges issued within the confines of this thread.

Lol@Tiamat=Boardwalk
kwirl
Sojourner

Postby kwirl » Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:13 pm

http://www.antimonopoly.com/antimonopoly_boardgame.html

Came across after reading this. I had no idea there was so much scandal and drama behind Monopoly! It's almost like Monopoly was a forum thread!

Sorry to quasi-hijack the thread, but wow.

I thought it was an interesting read, and would be curious if any of you more analytical thinkers have ever come across stories similar to this. It's kind of scary, sorta.
Callarduran
Staff Member - Admin

Postby Callarduran » Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:33 am

Quick bump on an old thread, but thought I'd mention a new game that we bought that several here would probably enjoy - Red Dragon Inn.

http://www.slugfestgames.com/games_rdi.php
http://www.slugfestgames.com/games_rdi2.php

Both the original and the 2nd are playable by themselves, and all the characters are a lot of fun to play, as well as being balanced against each other.

And watch out for Pooky. That rabbit is seriously insane.

Desirsar
Sojourner

Postby Desirsar » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:11 am

Carcassonne
Munchkin (you have MunchkinQuest but not Munchkin??)
Illuminati : New World Order
Awful Green Things From Outer Space (good luck finding a copy, though.)
Spy Vs. Spy (another tough one to find)
Tile Chess

Hungry Hungry Hippos
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:14 pm

Picked up Cthulhu Munchkin. It's good, but as expansions tend to, it introduces some power creep into the game (new cards are better than old cards, etc). Very entertaining though, and I about died when I saw that the "counterspell" card is called O R'lyeh?
- Ragorn
Callarduran
Staff Member - Admin

Postby Callarduran » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:28 pm

Yep, I have MunchkinQuest and not any Munchkin. Quest was a gift, and we've definitely had fun with it, so I will have to pick up Munchkin at some point in the near future.

Other future purchases I think will be including Carcassone and Alhambra. Played a bit of Carcassone and enjoyed it, though I'm still a bit sketchy on "connections" of fields. Imagine that will become a bit clearer once I play more than 2 games of it. Alhambra I've heard good things about, but have yet to play.

I played a game of Anima recently as well. That was fun, but really debating picking that one up. Just not sure how much replay value I'd find in it after a while.

Here's a question - has anyone played Mwahaha or Aye, Dark Overlord! ?

Ardessa Moonblade
Sojourner

Postby Ardessa Moonblade » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:16 pm

You should try the game Puerto Rico. It's a very fun game, ala Settlers of Catan.
Doesn't take that much in the way of time or board setup either.
Dugmaren GCC: 'My goal as an areas staff member is to introduce you all to the great zone I call "outside”

Shevarash GCC: 'Funny - sometimes we do stuff like that. Add in some neat thing like weight-dependant stun, and THEN DON'T TELL ANYONE FOR A DECADE.'
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:19 pm

OMG, Awful Green Things from Outer Space!!!!

I haven't played that since I was a kid and Tiny Games was putting it out in little plastic ziplock baggies at sci fi cons.

Or am I remembering the wrong game? Isn't that the one they put out about the same time they put out Tiny Dungeons?

Wow... way back when Illuminati was a really fun card game with a one-page pamphlet of rules.

Desirsar
Sojourner

Postby Desirsar » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:01 am

Ashiwi wrote:OMG, Awful Green Things from Outer Space!!!!

I haven't played that since I was a kid and Tiny Games was putting it out in little plastic ziplock baggies at sci fi cons.

Or am I remembering the wrong game? Isn't that the one they put out about the same time they put out Tiny Dungeons?

Wow... way back when Illuminati was a really fun card game with a one-page pamphlet of rules.

There were four races of aliens working together aboard the Znutar, which was a flat map of the layout of the ship. All the pieces were cardboard cutouts. The only cat I ever had as a pet was named "Sparks", after one of the engineering crew from that game. Played with like four or six six-sided dice.

I've played both the boxed game Illuminati, which came in the old black plastic box with a front and back sticker than all Steve Jackson games used to come in. I later bought a local gaming store's entire stock of the Illuminati : New World Order CCG when they were trying to clear inventory, and having that many cards lets you put them into a giant pool and play it like the boxed game, only more random.

One game I haven't found a copy of that I liked a lot was Blobbo, another tabletop cardboard cutout piece type game from Steve Jackson Games. (I don't think they've ever made a bad game... Awful Green Things was published by them as well...) I don't think they sell it anymore, and it never seems to pop up on eBay.

Return to “T2 General Discussion Archive”