D&D 4th Edition

Life, the universe, and everything.
Forum rules
- No personal attacks against players or staff members - please be civil!
- No posting of mature images/links, keep content SFW. If it's NSFW, don't post it on these forums.
Lilira
Sojourner

D&D 4th Edition

Postby Lilira » Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:58 am

Now that its been officially released for a bit, I'm curious about reactions from people who have actually played it, not just thumbed through books.

Personally, I don't like it. Not sure if its the system or the DMs, but there is a serious lack of the RP in the RPG.

We spend more time arguing over what we can or can't do, its frustrating. Especially since Wizards seems to change the rules constantly. And OMG.. some of the modules are SO STUPID! (I think the one we played tonight was BALD1-1. SO not a 1-4th adventure...)

And its dumbed down.

Keep in mind, I'm playing in LFR, so its in the 'sanctioned' games for RPGA.
~\o--Lilira Shadowlyre--o/~

You group-say 'my chars will carry the component on them if I can.'
Inama group-says 'hopefully they'll have some sort of volume discounts on ress items for people like you'
You group-say 'oh? Ya think? *giggle*'
Inama group-says 'they could at least implement frequent dier miles'

Suzalize group-says 'oh, eya's over weight i bet'
Raiwen
Sojourner

Re: D&D 4th Edition

Postby Raiwen » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:38 am

One of the issues I had in 3.5 was munchkin characters. From my buddy who's played a few 4.0 modules, it's more difficult to fashion invincible characters that are grossly overpowered compared to the rest of the party.
Lilira
Sojourner

Postby Lilira » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:36 am

Yeah, but the builds keep you from getting creative either. Once you choose it, you're kinda stuck in unless you multi.
~\o--Lilira Shadowlyre--o/~

You group-say 'my chars will carry the component on them if I can.'
Inama group-says 'hopefully they'll have some sort of volume discounts on ress items for people like you'
You group-say 'oh? Ya think? *giggle*'
Inama group-says 'they could at least implement frequent dier miles'

Suzalize group-says 'oh, eya's over weight i bet'
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:38 am

4th edition is a good system, and I find its ups more than make up for its downs.

Benefits:
1. Better balanced than previous editions, players will have a harder time constructing a character that severely outshines or sucks compared to the other party members.

2. The way the power system is set up, the PC's will no longer suffer from '5 minute workday' whereby the spellcasters blow their powers and then want to rest for the night. The healing surge system and the abilities that heal the PC's don't corner the characters that can heal into being a health battery.

3. Abilities are balanced around level, so you don't end up with power drain whereby your spell DCs are much lower than the general saving throws the monster's keep at higher level.

4. With the removal of save or 'be screwed' abilities, the Gm can sigh in relief that the monsters aren't being one shotted at low to mid levels by spells like blind, color spray, fear, and hold person.

5. Simplification of durations make book keeping a snap.

6. Building encounters is easier than ever using an xp system based on opponent level instead of the monstrosity that was 'Encounter Level' from 3.5. The classification of monsters into different roles: soldier, brute, controller, artillery, lurker also allows the GM to quickly build encounters with foes that have interesting blends of abilities.

7. Equipment plays less of a role in how powerful your character is, so it's less necessary for your character to function. Equipment is easier to get and less inflated in price so there's a smoother increase in PC power. The equipment does a greater variety of things and grants less 'background' power that players tend to find more valuable than other more interesting choices. (The stat gear was removed and a lot of items with daily abilities were added).

8. Skills were bundled together and skill points were removed making them easier to manage. In 3.0 and 3.5, PC's generally lumped all their skills together, making them either completely overpowering for the task at hand, or totally ineffectual.

Negatives:
1. Not a lot of options for character builds, but that's to be expected since there's not a ton of material for the game, yet.

2. It's difficult to have a functioning party with less than 4 players due to the PC roles being more defined. It's harder to break out of the predefined role of the class you choose.

3. Due to the simplification of the rules, players may find their options at lower levels in combat to be somewhat limited and repetitive until they begin trying to work together with the other party members to create synergistic combat maneuvers.

Return to “T2 General Discussion Archive”