How did you meet?

Life, the universe, and everything.
Forum rules
- No personal attacks against players or staff members - please be civil!
- No posting of mature images/links, keep content SFW. If it's NSFW, don't post it on these forums.
Kifle
Sojourner
Posts: 3830
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2002 6:01 am
Location: Huntington, IN USA
Contact:

Re: How did you meet?

Postby Kifle » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:02 am

I met my wife in high school, but I didn't start dating her until I was 20; in fact, she thought I was an asshole. Turns out she was right. She was in a bad relationship when we met back up later in life, I gave her some advice on why and how to leave her current guy, and a few weeks later I was dating her. Almost nine years later...

And, Sarvis, women are very simple, but people like to confuse matters. Women don't want the same things -- it's a bit retarded to think as much. They want the same things men do -- security, sex, money, companionship, etc. Some put more stress on certain things, but the desires are all pretty much the same between any person (be it man or woman). What you need to look at as where each person puts their stress.

If you want to date a woman, you better learn how to tell stories. If you can't, go do something exciting once in a while. Hell, just go to a party and you'll probably have a few good stories to tell (and you might actually get laid or something).

Ashiwi was right as well. Confidence is everything. Why do you think men get hit on more when they have a girlfriend? Because they aren't looking to get laid... they don't want it or they could live without it. Just put yourself in a woman's shoes for a second. Would you want to seriously consider dating a girl who was madly in love with you after you danced with her at a club? Being a semi-well adjusted male, I would fuck her and then not call her. Why? Well, I'm horny; that explains the first bit. I wont call her because she is probably psycho. Which leads me to you. You are that psycho I'd fuck and then not call (read that how you want).
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
Pril
Sojourner
Posts: 1834
Joined: Sat May 11, 2002 5:01 am

Re: How did you meet?

Postby Pril » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:49 pm

Kifle wrote:Which leads me to you. You are that psycho I'd fuck and then not call (read that how you want).


Haven't you caused enough mental anguish for Dartan already? :p

-------------------------------

Sarvis,

Everyone is saying the same thing here, Ashiwi, Kifle, Oteb, Dartan, Rags, Corth, etc. Are you still confused by this still or are you starting to understand at all?
The best of WTF statments of '06
--------------------------------------------------------
Danila group-says 'afk, machine gun in backyard started shooting cats'
Danila group-says 'afk a sec, 3 horned monkeys trying to steal hose'
Danila group-says 'afk, koala bear trying to mount my car'
Sarvis
Sojourner
Posts: 6369
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2001 6:01 am
Location: Buffalo, NY, USA
Contact:

Re: How did you meet?

Postby Sarvis » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:58 pm

Pril wrote:Sarvis,

Everyone is saying the same thing here, Ashiwi, Kifle, Oteb, Dartan, Rags, Corth, etc. Are you still confused by this still or are you starting to understand at all?


Oh yeah, I get it:

1) Stop wanting to be with anyone
2) Do a bunch of things I'd never do unless I was hoping to meet women

That about sum it up?
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
oteb
Sojourner
Posts: 432
Joined: Mon May 27, 2002 5:01 am
Location: poland

Re: How did you meet?

Postby oteb » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:23 pm

Stop thinking of significant other as prerequisite for enjoyable life. Start enjoying your life and you will get significant other as a special bonus.
















and no. strip clubs are not "enoying life" its "killing the pain of life"
You group-say 'who is da red shape?'
A red shape group-says 'I'm a shape'
Sarvis
Sojourner
Posts: 6369
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2001 6:01 am
Location: Buffalo, NY, USA
Contact:

Re: How did you meet?

Postby Sarvis » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:31 pm

oteb wrote:Stop thinking of significant other as prerequisite for enjoyable life. Start enjoying your life and you will get significant other as a special bonus.


Easy for people who aren't alone to say, isn't it? Try being alone for a decade and then get back to me. Oh, and I mean _alone_, not dating a girl here and there. Not hooking up with random sluts every weekend. I mean _alone_. I mean rarely meeting a girl you find interesting, and every time you do she already has a boyfriend, or is engaged, or is moving soon.

Sure, I was less moody than I am now because I wasn't trying and wasn't worried about it. I always figured that, AS YOU SAY, eventually someone would just come into my life. It did not happen, and is not going to happen. Women don't just magically show up at your house while you're playing Tekken with your friends, and the ones that DO are usually there because they came with said friends. Because, you know, they weren't alone.


and no. strip clubs are not "enoying life" its "killing the pain of life"


Maybe for you, not for everyone.
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Pril
Sojourner
Posts: 1834
Joined: Sat May 11, 2002 5:01 am

Re: How did you meet?

Postby Pril » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:35 pm

Sarvis wrote:
Pril wrote:Sarvis,

Everyone is saying the same thing here, Ashiwi, Kifle, Oteb, Dartan, Rags, Corth, etc. Are you still confused by this still or are you starting to understand at all?


Oh yeah, I get it:

1) Stop wanting to be with anyone
2) Do a bunch of things I'd never do unless I was hoping to meet women

That about sum it up?


WOW... are you trying to be this difficult at understanding it or does it come naturally?

1) we understand that you'll still want to be with someone can't stop that until you fulfill 2.
2) Where did we EVER say to do stuff you'd never do. We said do stuff that you enjoy doing. I have no idea what your hobbies are other than complaining about stuff on the BBS and not taking peoples advice. If you tell us a little more about yourself we can offer you suggestions of stuff you might enjoy doing. As for senseless complaining go protest something and meet a girl!
The best of WTF statments of '06

--------------------------------------------------------

Danila group-says 'afk, machine gun in backyard started shooting cats'

Danila group-says 'afk a sec, 3 horned monkeys trying to steal hose'

Danila group-says 'afk, koala bear trying to mount my car'
Sarvis
Sojourner
Posts: 6369
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2001 6:01 am
Location: Buffalo, NY, USA
Contact:

Re: How did you meet?

Postby Sarvis » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:52 pm

Pril wrote:
Sarvis wrote:
Pril wrote:Sarvis,

Everyone is saying the same thing here, Ashiwi, Kifle, Oteb, Dartan, Rags, Corth, etc. Are you still confused by this still or are you starting to understand at all?


Oh yeah, I get it:

1) Stop wanting to be with anyone
2) Do a bunch of things I'd never do unless I was hoping to meet women

That about sum it up?


WOW... are you trying to be this difficult at understanding it or does it come naturally?


Mostly at the moment I'm just in a bitter mood... sorry. Really, my first two thought-out replies were a lot more vicious and inflammatory.... :(


1) we understand that you'll still want to be with someone can't stop that until you fulfill 2.
2) Where did we EVER say to do stuff you'd never do. We said do stuff that you enjoy doing. I have no idea what your hobbies are other than complaining about stuff on the BBS and not taking peoples advice. If you tell us a little more about yourself we can offer you suggestions of stuff you might enjoy doing. As for senseless complaining go protest something and meet a girl!



1) Sure you understand that, but you're also saying no one's going to want to be with me if I'm looking for a relationship.
2) There have been lots of suggestions for things I should do, from Ashiwi's advanced grooming tips to Kifle's suggestion to go to parties. The simple truth that beyond showering and brushing my teeth, I wouldn't bother much with grooming if I didn't want to look acceptable to women. The simple truth is that I don't particularly enjoy parties, or hanging out in bars very often. My idea of a good time is largely centered around sitting at home playing video games, watching tv, reading, or playing PnP RPGs with my friends on Saturday. If I'm out anywhere, doing anything else it's probably mostly because I'm hoping to meet women. Even the other things I would like to do are generally things I'm constrained on because it's atypical to do them alone, and my friends aren't into those things or they are expensive.

That's why the most helpful suggestions so far were the meetup group websites. At least I found a couple groups on there where I can try getting into some other things.

Of course, I'm still doing THAT because I'm hoping to meet someone soooooooo.....
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Ashiwi
Sojourner
Posts: 4161
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2001 5:01 am

Re: How did you meet?

Postby Ashiwi » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:30 pm

Sarvis wrote:The simple truth that beyond showering and brushing my teeth, I wouldn't bother much with grooming if I didn't want to look acceptable to women.


This is one of the most telling things you have written about yourself. Unfortunately, the advice we're giving you where the underlying cause of this is concerned is not going to get through to you until you make a decision to make changes for yourself.

I know you'll argue this, and I've already told you that your constant arguing instead of trying to take friendly criticism is one of the reasons you will continue to have problems finding a relationship, but here goes...

People who care about themselves generally tend to take care of their appearance. Hair, teeth and cleanliness are only a small fraction of what goes into an outward display of self-confidence. Most women don't want to be hooked up with a psychological timebomb with a massive inferiority complex who can't find or keep a job and can't take care of himself out on his own so still lives with mom and/or dad. A lack of self-confidence shows in the way you groom yourself, the way you walk, the way you carry yourself, your posture, the way you address people, your communication skills... any number of signs that will turn off a relationship prospect. When you feel good about yourself, all these things will change for the better, believe it or not. And I know you won't believe it, but this is just one of those things that you have to find out for yourself, and if you won't even try, there's really no point in your continuing to try to garner attention here in order to validate some sense of self-worth or lack of self-worth on your part.

People who have very few hobbies or interests tend to be that way because it's difficult for them to raise any interest in new activities or endeavors. There are many causes for this, but the main one tends to be depression based on a perception of lack of self-worth. When the cause of this is not organically based, the easiest solution is for that person to make a decision to go out and experience new things in order to round out their experiences and give them a greater perception of the world around them. If you stubbornly refuse to take an interest in anything outside of your limited world, then that's nobody's fault but your own. It's a wide, wide world out there, with a million possibilities that you have yet to give a chance, and the only person stopping you is you.

It's not that nobody wants to be with you if you're looking for a relationship. It's that you're looking for a relationship when you're not ready to be in a relationship, and that's going to show. If you were comfortable in your own skin, you wouldn't feel such a driving need to be in a relationship because you would be perfectly comfortable with your own company and wouldn't have a space that you're trying to fill with something that you think will fix your problems. Yeah, it's a catch-22. People long to be in relationships when they're missing something in their own lives. When they fix themselves then they don't find that need to be so strong, they become comfortable with themselves even in solitude, and they become much more attractive to the opposite sex.

Keep arguing. It keeps you tethered to your keyboard and not doing anything to better your situation. If all you're exercising is your defensive attitude then you're only hiding behind your refusal to make changes for the better.
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
Sarvis
Sojourner
Posts: 6369
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2001 6:01 am
Location: Buffalo, NY, USA
Contact:

Re: How did you meet?

Postby Sarvis » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:43 pm

Again, Ash, I'm not some horrible smelly mess. My comment about grooming was simply out of my disdain for a focus on appearance. I'd be comfortable in a t-shirt, jeans and sneakers everywhere and would just grow my (well trimmed) beard back rather than shaving my head if I didn't want to appear more attractive to women. This isn't lack of self respect, it's that I'm more comfortable that way and think it's a little silly to put so much effort into appearance. (On the flipside I'm generally not fond of makeup or lots of shiny jewelry or expensive clothing on women. It's a waste, and doesn't really make you any more attractive than you are.)

Lastly, who says I'm not doing anything to improve myself? Yeah, I argue on here. So fucking what? That's all I do because that's all you see me doing? Nevermind that I mentioned joining one of those meetup groups earlier, that I'm dieting and exercising to lose the extra weight I gained while living with my mom, and that my career is on a nice, stable upward path during a time when most Americans are worried about losing their jobs tomorrow.

Of course, the biggest thing I'm trying to do to improve myself is actually trying to meet women. If I've learned one thing in 10 years of not trying, it's that you're wrong. They don't just show up because you're not trying to hard and you're happy with yourself. They show up because you know how to approach them and talk to them.

Unfortunately, I don't know how. Which probably makes the singles meetup group I'm getting together with tomorrow a completely lost cause.

Hell, half the reason I was at the strip club when I met Kayla was to practice talking to women who I knew wouldn't reject me. It even took me a few minutes to work up to approaching Kayla... so before you tell me yet again how pathetic I must be, try to imagine what it's like to be so clueless about approaching women that it's tough to even start a conversation with someone you know with absolute certainty will be polite and accepting of you.
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Ashiwi
Sojourner
Posts: 4161
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2001 5:01 am

Re: How did you meet?

Postby Ashiwi » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:01 pm

I don't think you're a horrible, smelly mess. All I know you by is this BBS. Based on what I can see on this BBS I would guess you're an intelligent, imaginative non-conformist with a poor sense of self-worth and a defensive wall built about a mile high. You are making some changes, but you're still so trapped by your own defensive behavior that it's difficult for you to form a complete valuation of your own psyche. You spend so much time miserable and bitter that it's difficult for you to find reasons to do things just for yourself instead of for the specific purpose of finding somebody who will care about you as-is, which another aspect of you may see as an impossible task for any woman worth meeting, so you're frustrated and self-defeating on top of it all. I think you have a lot to offer if you can find a way to fulfill yourself outside of a relationship and learn how to relax in your own skin.

I might be completely wrong about you, but again, I only have your own words on this BBS to go by.

Find an activity that you might enjoy and take a class. It's best to really open yourself up to the enjoyment and take it just for yourself, but it helps if it's a subject that is predominantly liked by women. Try a pottery class and use it as a method of relaxation. Try a cooking class and use it as a creative outlet. Try anything and try to enjoy it.
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
Dalar
Sojourner
Posts: 4905
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2001 6:01 am

Re: How did you meet?

Postby Dalar » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:08 pm

Sarvis wrote:Again, Ash, I'm not some horrible smelly mess. My comment about grooming was simply out of my disdain for a focus on appearance. I'd be comfortable in a t-shirt, jeans and sneakers everywhere and would just grow my (well trimmed) beard back rather than shaving my head if I didn't want to appear more attractive to women. This isn't lack of self respect, it's that I'm more comfortable that way and think it's a little silly to put so much effort into appearance. (On the flipside I'm generally not fond of makeup or lots of shiny jewelry or expensive clothing on women. It's a waste, and doesn't really make you any more attractive than you are.)

Lastly, who says I'm not doing anything to improve myself? Yeah, I argue on here. So fucking what? That's all I do because that's all you see me doing? Nevermind that I mentioned joining one of those meetup groups earlier, that I'm dieting and exercising to lose the extra weight I gained while living with my mom, and that my career is on a nice, stable upward path during a time when most Americans are worried about losing their jobs tomorrow.

Of course, the biggest thing I'm trying to do to improve myself is actually trying to meet women. If I've learned one thing in 10 years of not trying, it's that you're wrong. They don't just show up because you're not trying to hard and you're happy with yourself. They show up because you know how to approach them and talk to them.

Unfortunately, I don't know how. Which probably makes the singles meetup group I'm getting together with tomorrow a completely lost cause.

Hell, half the reason I was at the strip club when I met Kayla was to practice talking to women who I knew wouldn't reject me. It even took me a few minutes to work up to approaching Kayla... so before you tell me yet again how pathetic I must be, try to imagine what it's like to be so clueless about approaching women that it's tough to even start a conversation with someone you know with absolute certainty will be polite and accepting of you.



Read The Game by Neil Strauss. If you have trouble finding it, ask anyone who works at a bookstore. They ALL know where it's at.

As for the 10 years of being single, I did match that record kind of. I haven't had a girlfriend in about 10 years up until this past month. You say you only meet non-single women? You don't have to meet single chicks man. Practice on women who have boyfriends. Listen to their gripes about their current boyfriends. If you play your cards right, you can even steal them from their boyfriends if you want. It's all a game that you need to learn how to play. All of the advice in this thread is sound. I never read your political posts... but by reading this thread alone you sound incredibly defensive to people who are trying to help. Even if you think they're wrong, they may just be right. Remember that, because when you're dealing with a woman, you're wrong no matter what.

Just date random chicks for the hell of it and make mistakes too. You'll want to make them on women you're willing to lose so you know not to make the same mistakes on the one you want to keep.
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Sarvis
Sojourner
Posts: 6369
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2001 6:01 am
Location: Buffalo, NY, USA
Contact:

Re: How did you meet?

Postby Sarvis » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:32 pm

Dalar wrote:You say you only meet non-single women? You don't have to meet single chicks man. Practice on women who have boyfriends. Listen to their gripes about their current boyfriends. If you play your cards right, you can even steal them from their boyfriends if you want.


Honestly, since moving to Buffalo I've met at least two women who I could have stolen from their boyfriends. The first set me up on a blind date with one of her friends, then shover the girl out of the way so she could cuddle up to me the entire night.

The second kept hinting that "this wasn't her kind of party" while she was sitting next to her oblivious boyfriend. I didn't get the hint, but she was being flirty enough in other ways that I was getting the right idea.

The thing is, I'm not willing to steal someone like that. *shrug*

I wouldn't mind just dating random chicks either... but I'm still not meeting them.
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Raiwen
Sojourner
Posts: 430
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2001 6:01 am
Location: Atlanta, Ga USA
Contact:

Re: How did you meet?

Postby Raiwen » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:49 pm

Ashiwi wrote:Try anything and try to enjoy it.

Truer words haven't been spoken.

After my 1st divorce (separation up to divorce), I was very lonely. I was in a new state (city) and job. I felt happier after my separation, but lonely none-the-less. It showed. All the "right" girls could sense it. Eventually, the only girls that would ignore (or perhaps thrived) on this loneliness weren't the type of girls you'd want to take home to momma. I had very destructive behavior. Which coincidently dovetails into my 2nd divorce.

I met her when I shouldn't have. I had replaced being a "whole person" with this "party person" who filled those missing voids with whatever vice was appropriate. In reality, not only did I meet (meat) her when I shouldn't have, but she wasn't the right girl for me in the first place! Divorce #2, child, and lonely - in another new town.

It wasn't until I got out in the world met new friends with different interests, lived independently, did I finally find myself "whole". I was single, yet happy. I was enjoying myself and my friends - both old and new. And one day, by happenstance, I was with a group in a public opening of a private club, looking at a beautiful girl and I talked to her. Thus, how we met. I wasn't looking to meet anyone. Yet we met.

Yet, fast forward 3 years...

Even when you're in a relationship, you still need to be a "whole person." You need to be happy with yourself, outside of that other person. We were slowly defining ourselves as "this couple" instead of "two individuals who enjoyed being together." We found some separate interests, involved each other, and got back out in the world to rediscover each other. So, it's an ongoing process. It's work!

(but enjoyable work)

You keep making these rationalizations on how and why you don't or do certain things, but you're not really comprehending anything. It's ironic, but you probably should:

  • Come to the realization that you'll never meet anyone worthwhile (good enough or single enough) to spend your life with you.
  • You'll probably be single, or in random, meaningless relationships (strippers) till the day you die.
  • Learn to accept this, and be happy with who you are.
  • Improve yourself for the sole reason that you want to improve yourself.

And one day, by happenstance, you'll find "her"

Ironic, huh?

Problems speaking to people or in front of people? http://www.toastmasters.org/
Can't find interesting things to do? http://wings.buffalo.edu/sa/oac/ OR http://www.meetup.com/Roaming-Buffaloes-Adventure-Club/
Need to boost your karma? volunteermatch.org
Dalar
Sojourner
Posts: 4905
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2001 6:01 am

Re: How did you meet?

Postby Dalar » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:53 pm

Sarvis wrote:
Dalar wrote:You say you only meet non-single women? You don't have to meet single chicks man. Practice on women who have boyfriends. Listen to their gripes about their current boyfriends. If you play your cards right, you can even steal them from their boyfriends if you want.


Honestly, since moving to Buffalo I've met at least two women who I could have stolen from their boyfriends. The first set me up on a blind date with one of her friends, then shover the girl out of the way so she could cuddle up to me the entire night.

The second kept hinting that "this wasn't her kind of party" while she was sitting next to her oblivious boyfriend. I didn't get the hint, but she was being flirty enough in other ways that I was getting the right idea.

The thing is, I'm not willing to steal someone like that. *shrug*

I wouldn't mind just dating random chicks either... but I'm still not meeting them.


Get that stealing mentality out of your head. If a woman isn't happy with who she's with and rather be with you, go for it. What's the point of being in an unhappy relationship?

As for random chicks, friends of friends, classes, work, meetup.com, online dating etc. are all ways. Also, if you're too picky, don't be. I've dated a fat chick before because I really liked her personality.
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.

Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Ragorn
Sojourner
Posts: 4732
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2001 6:01 am

Re: How did you meet?

Postby Ragorn » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:09 pm

Dalar wrote:If you play your cards right, you can even steal them from their boyfriends if you want. It's all a game that you need to learn how to play.

Not actually all that challenging, but it makes you a real douchebag. And any girl who would dump her boyfriend for you is eventually going to dump YOU to fuck some other guy.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Dalar
Sojourner
Posts: 4905
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2001 6:01 am

Re: How did you meet?

Postby Dalar » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:16 pm

Ragorn wrote:
Dalar wrote:If you play your cards right, you can even steal them from their boyfriends if you want. It's all a game that you need to learn how to play.

Not actually all that challenging, but it makes you a real douchebag. And any girl who would dump her boyfriend for you is eventually going to dump YOU to fuck some other guy.


Depends how you play it. If you're constantly flirting with the chick while she is with her boyfriend, yea. Of course she'll dump you for the next guy after. If you just be her friend and let her fall for you, that's a different story.
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.

Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Sarvis
Sojourner
Posts: 6369
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2001 6:01 am
Location: Buffalo, NY, USA
Contact:

Re: How did you meet?

Postby Sarvis » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:34 pm

Dalar wrote:
Ragorn wrote:
Dalar wrote:If you play your cards right, you can even steal them from their boyfriends if you want. It's all a game that you need to learn how to play.

Not actually all that challenging, but it makes you a real douchebag. And any girl who would dump her boyfriend for you is eventually going to dump YOU to fuck some other guy.


Depends how you play it. If you're constantly flirting with the chick while she is with her boyfriend, yea. Of course she'll dump you for the next guy after. If you just be her friend and let her fall for you, that's a different story.


In both cases it was a girl I'd just met. In the second case, in any and all respects I'm probably better off having avoided her... she's hit on a different guy every time she comes to happy hour. Probably more of a slut than Kayla could ever hope to be...
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Corth
Sojourner
Posts: 6002
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2001 6:01 am
Location: NY, USA

Re: How did you meet?

Postby Corth » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:33 am

I think the advice in this thread is pretty good for most people but maybe not for Sarvis. Essentially, we are telling him to improve himself to the point that a typical female might consider him a 'catch'. That advice might work well with someone who recognizes that there is room for improvement. But could you imagine, for instance, Sarvis deciding to wear expensive name brand clothing? Or working out at the gym? I've never seen the guy but I know enough from his writing that its just not who he is. My feeling is that a guy like Sarvis needs to make his own path. Undoubtedly, as scary as it sounds, there is someone out there who matches him.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Sarvis
Sojourner
Posts: 6369
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2001 6:01 am
Location: Buffalo, NY, USA
Contact:

Re: How did you meet?

Postby Sarvis » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:37 am

Corth wrote:I think the advice in this thread is pretty good for most people but maybe not for Sarvis. Essentially, we are telling him to improve himself to the point that a typical female might consider him a 'catch'. That advice might work well with someone who recognizes that there is room for improvement. But could you imagine, for instance, Sarvis deciding to wear expensive name brand clothing? Or working out at the gym? I've never seen the guy but I know enough from his writing that its just not who he is. My feeling is that a guy like Sarvis needs to make his own path. Undoubtedly, as scary as it sounds, there is someone out there who matches him.


You know, I have worked out in a gym before...
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Dalar
Sojourner
Posts: 4905
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2001 6:01 am

Re: How did you meet?

Postby Dalar » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:54 am

Sarvis wrote:
Dalar wrote:
Ragorn wrote:
Dalar wrote:If you play your cards right, you can even steal them from their boyfriends if you want. It's all a game that you need to learn how to play.

Not actually all that challenging, but it makes you a real douchebag. And any girl who would dump her boyfriend for you is eventually going to dump YOU to fuck some other guy.


Depends how you play it. If you're constantly flirting with the chick while she is with her boyfriend, yea. Of course she'll dump you for the next guy after. If you just be her friend and let her fall for you, that's a different story.


In both cases it was a girl I'd just met. In the second case, in any and all respects I'm probably better off having avoided her... she's hit on a different guy every time she comes to happy hour. Probably more of a slut than Kayla could ever hope to be...


Sorry to hear that Sarvis. I have the same experience from a girl I befriended at work. Little did I know she was like that, but when she was with me she sounded pretty trustworthy. I'd highly suggest just making new friends. Even if you're not interested in them, you'll never know.
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.

Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Kifle
Sojourner
Posts: 3830
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2002 6:01 am
Location: Huntington, IN USA
Contact:

Re: How did you meet?

Postby Kifle » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:11 pm

Eh, I did the steal tactic and it worked out rather well for me, but I think its an exception. Sarvis, it seems kind of like you're attracted to girls that just don't date guys like you. I mean, do you own anything designer? Do you have a watch? Is it digital or have a leather/cloth strap? Is your hair styled or cut? There are simple things you will have to do to attract most women; however, as Corth pointed out, you're either simply not interested in doing these things, and you're going to have to suffer quite a while until you find a girl that just doesn't care.
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
Pril
Sojourner
Posts: 1834
Joined: Sat May 11, 2002 5:01 am

Re: How did you meet?

Postby Pril » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:22 pm

Kifle wrote:Eh, I did the steal tactic and it worked out rather well for me, but I think its an exception. Sarvis, it seems kind of like you're attracted to girls that just don't date guys like you. I mean, do you own anything designer? Do you have a watch? Is it digital or have a leather/cloth strap? Is your hair styled or cut? There are simple things you will have to do to attract most women; however, as Corth pointed out, you're either simply not interested in doing these things, and you're going to have to suffer quite a while until you find a girl that just doesn't care.


I wear a Micky Mouse watch with a plastic band. Does that attract girls?
The best of WTF statments of '06

--------------------------------------------------------

Danila group-says 'afk, machine gun in backyard started shooting cats'

Danila group-says 'afk a sec, 3 horned monkeys trying to steal hose'

Danila group-says 'afk, koala bear trying to mount my car'
avak
Sojourner
Posts: 672
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2003 6:01 am

Re: How did you meet?

Postby avak » Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:23 pm

Pril wrote:I wear a Micky Mouse watch with a plastic band. Does that attract girls?

Yes, wrong thread though.
Sarvis
Sojourner
Posts: 6369
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2001 6:01 am
Location: Buffalo, NY, USA
Contact:

Re: How did you meet?

Postby Sarvis » Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:55 pm

Kifle wrote:Eh, I did the steal tactic and it worked out rather well for me, but I think its an exception. Sarvis, it seems kind of like you're attracted to girls that just don't date guys like you. I mean, do you own anything designer? Do you have a watch? Is it digital or have a leather/cloth strap? Is your hair styled or cut? There are simple things you will have to do to attract most women; however, as Corth pointed out, you're either simply not interested in doing these things, and you're going to have to suffer quite a while until you find a girl that just doesn't care.


Ah, so now you know what kind of girls I'm attracted to. They all must be the kind shallow enough to entirely rate a guy based on his choice of clothing.

I mean, never mind that every girl I've ever been attracted to hasn't worn designer clothing themselves... or put that kind of emphasis on their own makeup or jewelry. :roll:

Meh. My coat is Calvin Klein if that helps. My hair is shaved, so not sure how I'd style that. No, I don't own a watch. Digital watches attract women?
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Pril
Sojourner
Posts: 1834
Joined: Sat May 11, 2002 5:01 am

Re: How did you meet?

Postby Pril » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:05 pm

Sarvis wrote:
Kifle wrote:Eh, I did the steal tactic and it worked out rather well for me, but I think its an exception. Sarvis, it seems kind of like you're attracted to girls that just don't date guys like you. I mean, do you own anything designer? Do you have a watch? Is it digital or have a leather/cloth strap? Is your hair styled or cut? There are simple things you will have to do to attract most women; however, as Corth pointed out, you're either simply not interested in doing these things, and you're going to have to suffer quite a while until you find a girl that just doesn't care.


Ah, so now you know what kind of girls I'm attracted to. They all must be the kind shallow enough to entirely rate a guy based on his choice of clothing.

I mean, never mind that every girl I've ever been attracted to hasn't worn designer clothing themselves... or put that kind of emphasis on their own makeup or jewelry. :roll:

Meh. My coat is Calvin Klein if that helps. My hair is shaved, so not sure how I'd style that. No, I don't own a watch. Digital watches attract women?


Do you have a beard/mustache?
The best of WTF statments of '06

--------------------------------------------------------

Danila group-says 'afk, machine gun in backyard started shooting cats'

Danila group-says 'afk a sec, 3 horned monkeys trying to steal hose'

Danila group-says 'afk, koala bear trying to mount my car'
Sarvis
Sojourner
Posts: 6369
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2001 6:01 am
Location: Buffalo, NY, USA
Contact:

Re: How did you meet?

Postby Sarvis » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:43 pm

Goatee...
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Dalar
Sojourner
Posts: 4905
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2001 6:01 am

Re: How did you meet?

Postby Dalar » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:12 pm

Sarvis, you're hella defensive for people trying to help you. How old are you first of all? I was like that when I was 18.

Don't quote me as any of this being 100% true... just some thoughts I've heard from women. I think Kifle is trying to tell you that the clothes you wear will determine how women perceive your personality. If you're a 30 year old guy who is wearing all Aeropostale, she may or may not think you're still a kid. If you bust out a velcro wallet to pay for half the meal, yea it's defintely not a date she'll want to remember. A digital watch... most grown men do not wear these. I don't think good designers makes digital watches either.

You could have the best personality out of all of us Sarvis. Women could say omg you would make the best boyfriend. I've heard all that shit before. If you're not willing to take advice and refuse to play the game, you can look forward to another 10 years of being single. Find a guy who you think wears GQ clothing or find a pretty woman (possibly a friend) to help you dress up and figure these things out. I'm not saying you have to buy suits and shit. Express/Banana Republic are having sales right now, but then again so is everywhere else :P
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.

Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Kifle
Sojourner
Posts: 3830
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2002 6:01 am
Location: Huntington, IN USA
Contact:

Re: How did you meet?

Postby Kifle » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:41 am

Sarvis wrote:
Kifle wrote:Eh, I did the steal tactic and it worked out rather well for me, but I think its an exception. Sarvis, it seems kind of like you're attracted to girls that just don't date guys like you. I mean, do you own anything designer? Do you have a watch? Is it digital or have a leather/cloth strap? Is your hair styled or cut? There are simple things you will have to do to attract most women; however, as Corth pointed out, you're either simply not interested in doing these things, and you're going to have to suffer quite a while until you find a girl that just doesn't care.


Ah, so now you know what kind of girls I'm attracted to. They all must be the kind shallow enough to entirely rate a guy based on his choice of clothing.

I mean, never mind that every girl I've ever been attracted to hasn't worn designer clothing themselves... or put that kind of emphasis on their own makeup or jewelry. :roll:

Meh. My coat is Calvin Klein if that helps. My hair is shaved, so not sure how I'd style that. No, I don't own a watch. Digital watches attract women?


I assume as much because I don't believe you're retarded enough to go after designer girls while wearing Kmart clothes. Maybe I was wrong and you are. If so, this whole issue is making much more sense. And everybody is shallow you idiot. Everybody. I wont fuck a girl with pizza face. She could have the best personality in the world, but I just am turned off by it. I'm attracted to well dressed ladies. If a girl, hot or not, walks up to me in a micky mouse shirt, again, I may fuck them, but I wont call them. They are not my type. Girls, like all people, rate people based on many factors -- hygine, looks, clothes, job, maturity, personality, etc... Don't strawman the arguments. Seriously, try to stay away from it. Because you see an argument there, doesn't mean it's a good one, or whether or not it actually debates the issue. In this case, like most cases with you, your arguemtn/counter example had no baring on the actual discussion. All you're doing is being difficult and being overly defensive about changing yourself or whether you need to or not.

Look, you were attracted to a stripper. They like nice shit. Jewlery, clothes, etc. I don't know your tastes, so I have only stripper to work with. What type of chick do you like? Regardless, good clothes and nice accessories are never bad.

As for the watch, I was going to tell you to not wear a digital watch, but thanks for assuming something negative rather than giving me the benefit of the doubt. Watches are a great accessory -- get a white gold or steel or platinum one though because they go with everything and are "crisp."

Lastly, I'm trying to help here. If you don't want my help, simply type something along those lines. If you do want some type of help, be a bit more open-minded to the suggestions. You're single for a reason, whatever that reason may be -- we don't necessarily know; however, given what I know about you, I can only make a few assumptions. The biggest assumption, and this is a huuuuge turnoff for women, is your personality. Sorry, it's true. Not your whole personality, because I don't know you, but this side of you on the forums, and I'll guarantee it also bleeds into RL, is extremely unattractive to women. Women don't like negative nancies, they don't like guys that can "win" every argument. They don't like feeling stupid (and this does not mean I think you call women stupid, just that when you correct people, negate what they say through your own opinion, try to change another's mind, etc...). Again, not sure how much this bleeds into your real life, but try to be conscious of it for your sake -- I honestly don't care whether you do or not. This is your life, not mine. I've got my girl; I've got my life.
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
Sarvis
Sojourner
Posts: 6369
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2001 6:01 am
Location: Buffalo, NY, USA
Contact:

Re: How did you meet?

Postby Sarvis » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:22 am

Kifle wrote:I assume as much because I don't believe you're retarded enough to go after designer girls while wearing Kmart clothes. Maybe I was wrong and you are. If so, this whole issue is making much more sense. And everybody is shallow you idiot. Everybody. I wont fuck a girl with pizza face. She could have the best personality in the world, but I just am turned off by it. I'm attracted to well dressed ladies. If a girl, hot or not, walks up to me in a micky mouse shirt, again, I may fuck them, but I wont call them. They are not my type.


I'm probably more the opposite... if a girl is dressed really, really nice I automatically assume she's "high maintenance" and wouldn't want to be with her longer than the night.

Girls, like all people, rate people based on many factors -- hygine, looks, clothes, job, maturity, personality, etc... Don't strawman the arguments. Seriously, try to stay away from it. Because you see an argument there, doesn't mean it's a good one, or whether or not it actually debates the issue. In this case, like most cases with you, your arguemtn/counter example had no baring on the actual discussion. All you're doing is being difficult and being overly defensive about changing yourself or whether you need to or not.


I'm being defensive because you're all making a lot of assumptions about me, many of which are pretty non-flattering. From Ash thinking I need to be told to brush my teeth to you trying to hint that I shouldn't go out dressed in rags.


Look, you were attracted to a stripper. They like nice shit. Jewlery, clothes, etc. I don't know your tastes, so I have only stripper to work with.


There you go, judging people based on one thing again. The one stripper I know other than Kayla is a dressed down D&D playing computer nerd. So yeah... not sure why all strippers must like nice things. Nor why the one person you know about defines everything about who I'm attracted to either. Like I said in the other thread, one occurrence doesn't create a pattern.

Kayla was special. I wasn't attracted to her because she fit a mold, or was dressed perfectly or I felt she was a quality person. I was attracted to her because we started talking and everything just clicked. Within 5 minutes I was more comfortable talking to her than I am talking to people I've known for years...

*sigh*

What type of chick do you like? Regardless, good clothes and nice accessories are never bad.


Frankly, I don't have enough dating experience to know for sure. That just makes it even funnier when you make the assumption. I do try to wear nice clothes (not designer, but nice shirts I think I look good in) when I go out.

As for the watch, I was going to tell you to not wear a digital watch, but thanks for assuming something negative rather than giving me the benefit of the doubt.


I didn't. I was honestly confused, because it sounded like you were advocating a digital watch. I didn't even say anything negative, I just answered your question and asked for clarification. But thanks for assuming something negative rather than giving me the benefit of the doubt!

Lastly, I'm trying to help here. If you don't want my help, simply type something along those lines. If you do want some type of help, be a bit more open-minded to the suggestions. You're single for a reason, whatever that reason may be -- we don't necessarily know; however, given what I know about you, I can only make a few assumptions. The biggest assumption, and this is a huuuuge turnoff for women, is your personality. Sorry, it's true. Not your whole personality, because I don't know you, but this side of you on the forums, and I'll guarantee it also bleeds into RL,


It doesn't. I don't argue much at all IRL, actually.
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Ambar
Sojourner
Posts: 2872
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2002 5:01 am
Location: Our House in Va.
Contact:

Re: How did you meet?

Postby Ambar » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:57 am

Pril wrote:I wear a Micky Mouse watch with a plastic band. Does that attract girls?


Not fair .. hottie guy AND wears Mickey?

I'd just like to interject, Sarvis you keep coming on here for advice or piping into advice threads then getting defensive and argumentative (shocker) about anyone who offers you advice .. Not everyone in the world is wrong because you say they are! Not every argument in the world HAS to be about politics, and moreso, you do not always have to be right, you also don't always have to perceive yourself as right. You must have gotten your ass beat a LOT as defensive as you are.

If you don't want to take what the guys say what women want to heart, most of the comments here are dead-on .. listen to the women .. Women do NOT want desperate seeming guys .. We want guys who are secure in themselves enough to be goofy and have fun, who can talk without arguing (yes even YOUR opinion matters but so does mine) We want to get to know YOU (no we don't) for who you are not what you are. Ok, maybe *smell a desperate guy* isnt what we mean, not literally, but we can SENSE a desperate guy a mile away, better statement? Talking is key .. If you have a super personality, looks can really takes a back seat (unless you are Pril who can just stand there looking pretty) .. It is more about how you come across, how you deal with people. If you take your BBS personality out on the street with you, THAT is why you aren't meeting women. Nice girls do strip, for YOU and YOU alone, not for money and in privacy! .. Plus the fact she hasnt come to work in how long? Get over it, and her!
"When a child is born, so is a grandmother."

-Italian Proverb
Ambar
Sojourner
Posts: 2872
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2002 5:01 am
Location: Our House in Va.
Contact:

Re: How did you meet?

Postby Ambar » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:14 pm

And we are another couple who met on Sojourn. We met a LONG time ago, God he was 17 or 18 back when I first met him here and just seemed to meet up again year after year. We'd be on as some brand new character and just meet up, both of us amazed that "O wow its YOU?' we'd lose touch then meet up again ... We started talking on the phone at the end of May 03, we met in July 04 face to face, he came to visit me for two weeks in Oct 04 and he moved in with me Feb 05. Our online friends at first didn't trust me or my feelings for him, they thought I'd hurt him and leave him stranded. We'd both met people on here and had very visible online relationships but this was SO different.. He left everything to be with me.. He left his home, his job and his family for me. He moved in with me then became a 27 year old step-grampa (heh)

He is my best friend, my love and lover.. He may have his flaws, we all do, but he makes me feel 100% special, he is the type of guy who comes across very different online than he is in person (see there is hope for Sarvis afterall!) He is funny (yes he is, weird huh) .. he can laugh at himself and me without coming across as argumentative or judgmental .. then he can jump on here and call someone an assclown and mean it, heh. Everyone who knows us tells me how much he loves me and how much he talks about me, and I do the same.

Love you Michael :)

Course he stopped reading the BBS a long time ago but still :)
"When a child is born, so is a grandmother."



-Italian Proverb
Sarvis
Sojourner
Posts: 6369
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2001 6:01 am
Location: Buffalo, NY, USA
Contact:

Re: How did you meet?

Postby Sarvis » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:50 pm

Ambar wrote:
Pril wrote:I wear a Micky Mouse watch with a plastic band. Does that attract girls?


Not fair .. hottie guy AND wears Mickey?

I'd just like to interject, Sarvis you keep coming on here for advice or piping into advice threads then getting defensive and argumentative (shocker) about anyone who offers you advice ..


Not everyone, just a handful of people who are offering advice that comes off as insulting. Like calling me desperate.

If you take your BBS personality out on the street with you, THAT is why you aren't meeting women.


Actually, I'd have to actually meet them before my personality could be abrasive enough to scare them away.


Nice girls do strip, for YOU and YOU alone, not for money and in privacy! .. Plus the fact she hasnt come to work in how long? Get over it, and her!


Hmm...

And we are another couple who met on Sojourn. We met a LONG time ago, God he was 17 or 18 back when I first met him here and just seemed to meet up again year after year. We'd be on as some brand new character and just meet up, both of us amazed that "O wow its YOU?' we'd lose touch then meet up again


And what would have happened if you had just "gotten over it" when you lost touch?
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Pril
Sojourner
Posts: 1834
Joined: Sat May 11, 2002 5:01 am

Re: How did you meet?

Postby Pril » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:07 pm

Sarvis,

you keep asking us to give you advice and when we give you the advice you say "You don't know me, you only think you do! *snap snap snap*"

So how about this. Post your picutre, and a full personality profile and we'll go from there cuz the other way is getting overly tiring.
The best of WTF statments of '06

--------------------------------------------------------

Danila group-says 'afk, machine gun in backyard started shooting cats'

Danila group-says 'afk a sec, 3 horned monkeys trying to steal hose'

Danila group-says 'afk, koala bear trying to mount my car'
Ragorn
Sojourner
Posts: 4732
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2001 6:01 am

Re: How did you meet?

Postby Ragorn » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:17 pm

Or how about we stop making threads where everyone tries to help sarvis with his girl problems? This is the third one now, and the message isn't sinking in. I mean, I realize it's fun for sarvis to get so much attention and fun for everyone else to pick on sarvis, but let's not pretend that anything productive is going to come out of all this.

The next day Kayla takes her clothes off for money, sarvis is going to be there with $20 bills.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Sarvis
Sojourner
Posts: 6369
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2001 6:01 am
Location: Buffalo, NY, USA
Contact:

Re: How did you meet?

Postby Sarvis » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:47 pm

Ragorn wrote:Or how about we stop making threads where everyone tries to help sarvis with his girl problems? This is the third one now, and the message isn't sinking in. I mean, I realize it's fun for sarvis to get so much attention and fun for everyone else to pick on sarvis, but let's not pretend that anything productive is going to come out of all this.

The next day Kayla takes her clothes off for money, sarvis is going to be there with $20 bills.


Technically I just co-opted the first two threads, this was the only one made to help me...

Oh, and having already attended one of the events through meetup.com I wouldn't say nothing productive is coming of this either. Unless, you know, you're trying to attack people you're supposedly ignoring again.
Last edited by Sarvis on Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Sarvis
Sojourner
Posts: 6369
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2001 6:01 am
Location: Buffalo, NY, USA
Contact:

Re: How did you meet?

Postby Sarvis » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:54 pm

Pril wrote:Sarvis,

you keep asking us to give you advice and when we give you the advice you say "You don't know me, you only think you do! *snap snap snap*"

So how about this. Post your picutre, and a full personality profile and we'll go from there cuz the other way is getting overly tiring.


The thing is, the only advice I asked for was how people met. I didn't ask you guys to go on critiquing my personality or provide some laundry list of things I "must" be doing to scare women away. I'm sure I am being defensive here, but when so much of the advice comes off as "stop being a desperate loser scumbag lacking in basic hygiene skills" it's a little hard not to be.

You want to know my personality? When I'm out with friends I sit quietly in the corner and occasionally crack a joke. When I want to approach a girl I typically don't.

My personality beyond that doesn't matter a whole lot to my problems, because women never even see it. They never see it because I don't approach them and try talking to them, and women almost never approach men no matter how well dressed they are.

Two of my best friends at work are women, and when I first started by cube was right between their two cubes. I didn't speak to them beyond asking questions related to work for months. Yet once that barrier was broken, they seemed to think I was a pretty good guy.
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Pril
Sojourner
Posts: 1834
Joined: Sat May 11, 2002 5:01 am

Re: How did you meet?

Postby Pril » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:31 pm

Sarvis wrote:
Pril wrote:Sarvis,

you keep asking us to give you advice and when we give you the advice you say "You don't know me, you only think you do! *snap snap snap*"

So how about this. Post your picutre, and a full personality profile and we'll go from there cuz the other way is getting overly tiring.


The thing is, the only advice I asked for was how people met. I didn't ask you guys to go on critiquing my personality or provide some laundry list of things I "must" be doing to scare women away. I'm sure I am being defensive here, but when so much of the advice comes off as "stop being a desperate loser scumbag lacking in basic hygiene skills" it's a little hard not to be.

You want to know my personality? When I'm out with friends I sit quietly in the corner and occasionally crack a joke. When I want to approach a girl I typically don't.

My personality beyond that doesn't matter a whole lot to my problems, because women never even see it. They never see it because I don't approach them and try talking to them, and women almost never approach men no matter how well dressed they are.

Two of my best friends at work are women, and when I first started by cube was right between their two cubes. I didn't speak to them beyond asking questions related to work for months. Yet once that barrier was broken, they seemed to think I was a pretty good guy.


Ok well then to go to the original question: Paople have said meetup etc. Also if you're friends with your 2 co-workers then maybe invite them out hang out with them sometime.
The best of WTF statments of '06

--------------------------------------------------------

Danila group-says 'afk, machine gun in backyard started shooting cats'

Danila group-says 'afk a sec, 3 horned monkeys trying to steal hose'

Danila group-says 'afk, koala bear trying to mount my car'
Raiwen
Sojourner
Posts: 430
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2001 6:01 am
Location: Atlanta, Ga USA
Contact:

Re: How did you meet?

Postby Raiwen » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:49 pm

How'd the meetup event go?
Sarvis
Sojourner
Posts: 6369
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2001 6:01 am
Location: Buffalo, NY, USA
Contact:

Re: How did you meet?

Postby Sarvis » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:55 pm

Raiwen wrote:How'd the meetup event go?


Pretty good I think. I actually managed to talk to people and have fun for a while. Thinking of joining one of the other groups after meeting the guy who leads it, as he seems pretty cool.
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Raiwen
Sojourner
Posts: 430
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2001 6:01 am
Location: Atlanta, Ga USA
Contact:

Re: How did you meet?

Postby Raiwen » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:08 pm

Sarvis wrote:Pretty good I think. I actually managed to talk to people and have fun for a while. Thinking of joining one of the other groups after meeting the guy who leads it, as he seems pretty cool.

Excellent!

I think you're on the right track.
Ashiwi
Sojourner
Posts: 4161
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2001 5:01 am

Re: How did you meet?

Postby Ashiwi » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:48 pm

Sarvis wrote:So, in light of my extremely pathetic desperation...


Sarvis wrote:Not everyone, just a handful of people who are offering advice that comes off as insulting. Like calling me desperate.


No, we don't know you. We can only go by the picture you paint here. Maybe you don't communicate with other people the way you present yourself here. Maybe. All things in heaven and earth are possible. What we're trying to tell you is that if you are anything in person like the way you present yourself on the BBS, and it's likely that to some degree you are, then a little introspection certainly couldn't hurt you. All people benefit from self-improvement, and if you can admit to what your personality is like on this BBS but you can't accept advice graciously when people give it to you because they have a sincere desire for you to succeed, then there are more issues than even the ones talked about here.

Best of luck to you, Sarvis. Sincerely.
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
Ambar
Sojourner
Posts: 2872
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2002 5:01 am
Location: Our House in Va.
Contact:

Re: How did you meet?

Postby Ambar » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:06 am

Sarvis wrote:And what would have happened if you had just "gotten over it" when you lost touch?

The relationship didn't develop until much later, before that we were acquaintances. We were friends first and foremost, a key to our lasting thus far I think.
"When a child is born, so is a grandmother."



-Italian Proverb
Sarvis
Sojourner
Posts: 6369
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2001 6:01 am
Location: Buffalo, NY, USA
Contact:

Re: How did you meet?

Postby Sarvis » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:20 am

Ashiwi wrote:
Sarvis wrote:So, in light of my extremely pathetic desperation...


Sarvis wrote:Not everyone, just a handful of people who are offering advice that comes off as insulting. Like calling me desperate.



Ok, got me there... though I was drunk when I made the thread and I think I was trying to be ironic since so many of the guys were ragging on me about the stripper thing.


Best of luck to you, Sarvis. Sincerely.


Thanks!
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner
Posts: 1499
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2002 5:01 am
Location: Virginia Beach
Contact:

Re: How did you meet?

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:22 pm

Ambar wrote:And we are another couple who met on Sojourn. We met a LONG time ago, God he was 17 or 18 back when I first met him here and just seemed to meet up again year after year. We'd be on as some brand new character and just meet up, both of us amazed that "O wow its YOU?' we'd lose touch then meet up again ... We started talking on the phone at the end of May 03, we met in July 04 face to face, he came to visit me for two weeks in Oct 04 and he moved in with me Feb 05. Our online friends at first didn't trust me or my feelings for him, they thought I'd hurt him and leave him stranded. We'd both met people on here and had very visible online relationships but this was SO different.. He left everything to be with me.. He left his home, his job and his family for me. He moved in with me then became a 27 year old step-grampa (heh)

He is my best friend, my love and lover.. He may have his flaws, we all do, but he makes me feel 100% special, he is the type of guy who comes across very different online than he is in person (see there is hope for Sarvis afterall!) He is funny (yes he is, weird huh) .. he can laugh at himself and me without coming across as argumentative or judgmental .. then he can jump on here and call someone an assclown and mean it, heh. Everyone who knows us tells me how much he loves me and how much he talks about me, and I do the same.

Love you Michael :)

Course he stopped reading the BBS a long time ago but still :)


Slander! You're not supposed to tell these people that i'm nice. That's so not fair. :(
Shevarash OOC: 'what can I say, I'm attracted to crazy chicks and really short dudes'
Ashiwi
Sojourner
Posts: 4161
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2001 5:01 am

Re: How did you meet?

Postby Ashiwi » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:34 pm

Arilin Nydelahar wrote:Slander! You're not supposed to tell these people that i'm nice. That's so not fair. :(


Twink. I've been telling people for ages how nice you are. I just talk about you behind your back where you can't hear me.

You two really need to come out and introduce yourselves some day! I'd love to hang with Jen in person... I get the feeling we could be a lot of trouble.
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
Oghma
Staff Member - Admin
Posts: 327
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2003 6:25 pm

Re: How did you meet?

Postby Oghma » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:30 am

Ashiwi wrote:
Arilin Nydelahar wrote:Slander! You're not supposed to tell these people that i'm nice. That's so not fair. :(


Twink. I've been telling people for ages how nice you are. I just talk about you behind your back where you can't hear me.

You two really need to come out and introduce yourselves some day! I'd love to hang with Jen in person... I get the feeling we could be a lot of trouble.


Oh my. Kelly and Jen in the same place? At the same time? Look out Michael, you're screwed.
Oghma The Lord of Knowledge, God of Bards
[ Administrator ] of TorilMUD
Ambar
Sojourner
Posts: 2872
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2002 5:01 am
Location: Our House in Va.
Contact:

Re: How did you meet?

Postby Ambar » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:57 am

We really need to :) Not fair he's met you and I haven't!

Oghma you hush up unless you're meetin up too!
"When a child is born, so is a grandmother."



-Italian Proverb
Kifle
Sojourner
Posts: 3830
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2002 6:01 am
Location: Huntington, IN USA
Contact:

Re: How did you meet?

Postby Kifle » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:18 pm

Oghma wrote:Oh my. Kelly and Jen in the same place? At the same time? Look out Michael, you're screwed.


That sounds like Arilin is going to have a busy time :)
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
shalath
Sojourner
Posts: 310
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2003 8:46 pm

Re: How did you meet?

Postby shalath » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:16 pm

HOW DO YOU DECIDE WHO TO MARRY?

(Written by children)

You got to find somebody who likes the same stuff. Like, if you like sports, she should like it that you like sports, and she should keep the chips and dip coming. -- Alan, age 10

No person really decides before they grow up who they're going to marry. God decides it all way before, and you get to find out later who you're stuck with. -- Kristen , age 10

WHAT IS THE RIGHT AGE TO GET MARRIED?
Twenty-three is the best age because you know the person FOREVER by then. -- Camille , age 10

HOW CAN A STRANGER TELL IF TWO PEOPLE ARE MARRIED?
You might have to guess, based on whether they seem to be yelling at the same kids. -- Derrick , age 8

WHAT DO YOU THINK YOUR MOM AND DAD HAVE IN COMMON?
Both don't want any more kids. -- Lori , age 8

WHAT DO MOST PEOPLE DO ON A DATE?
Dates are for having fun, and people should use them to get to know each other. Even boys have something to say if you listen long enough.
-- Lynnette , age 8
On the first date, they just tell each other lies and that Usually gets them interested enough to go for a second date. -- Martin , age 10

WHAT WOULD YOU DO ON A FIRST DATE THAT WAS TURNING SOUR?
I'd run home and play dead. The next day I would call all the newspapers and make sure they wrote about me in all the dead columns. -- Craig , age 9

WHEN IS IT OKAY TO KISS SOMEONE?
When they're rich. -- Pam , age 7
The law says you have to be eighteen, so I wouldn't want to mess with that.
-- Curt , age 7
The rule goes like this: If you kiss someone, then you should marry them and have kids with them. It's the right thing to do. -- Howard , age 8

IS IT BETTER TO BE SINGLE OR MARRIED?
It's better for girls to be single but not for boys. Boys need someone to clean up after them. -- Anita , age 9

HOW WOULD THE WORLD BE DIFFERENT IF PEOPLE DIDN'T GET MARRIED?
There sure would be a lot of kids to explain, wouldn't there? -- Kelvin, age 8 (just LOVE this one)

And the #1 Favorite is........
HOW WOULD YOU MAKE A MARRIAGE WORK?
Tell your wife that she looks pretty, even if she looks like a dump truck. -- Ricky, age 10
[Profile edited by Board Admin. If you can't be civil, we'll fix it for you. -ed]
amena wolfsnarl
Sojourner
Posts: 439
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:14 pm
Location: grande prairie alberta canada

Re: How did you meet?

Postby amena wolfsnarl » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:55 pm

lol its scary how true some of those are
Dugmaren tells you 'Welcome to Canada, don't blame us if you're stupid enough to get eaten by the wild life'

Return to “T2 General Discussion Archive”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest