You couldn't make it up

Life, the universe, and everything.
Forum rules
- No personal attacks against players or staff members - please be civil!
- No posting of mature images/links, keep content SFW. If it's NSFW, don't post it on these forums.
shalath
Sojourner

You couldn't make it up

Postby shalath » Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:12 pm

Wow. I'm posting a quasi-political thread. But damn, this one is good. You really couldn't make it up.

http://www.thenation.com/doc/20090420/hayes

-simon
[Profile edited by Board Admin. If you can't be civil, we'll fix it for you. -ed]
Sarvis
Sojourner

Re: You couldn't make it up

Postby Sarvis » Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:16 pm

Well, at least we can blame the Republicans. ;)
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:41 pm

Great example of how good intentions often lead to ridiculous results.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:52 pm

Corth wrote:Great example of how good intentions often lead to ridiculous results.

Yes, because of people being greedy.
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:25 pm

People are what they are.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:50 pm

Corth wrote:People are what they are.

People are what society teaches them to be. Society made a choice to promote greed as a virtue, and this is the result. The law itself probably wouldn't even be necessary if we promoted things like social responsibility as a virtue ahead of greed.

shalath
Sojourner

Postby shalath » Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:01 pm

Sarvis wrote:
Corth wrote:Great example of how good intentions often lead to ridiculous results.

Yes, because of people being people.

Fixed that for you.
[Profile edited by Board Admin. If you can't be civil, we'll fix it for you. -ed]
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:13 pm

yea got to love it. par for government.

so the obvious answer to fixing this "government law created imbalance" is to make more laws and more opportunities for imbalances.

The end result, interests (lets call them special) lobbying for imbalances that favor them and against ones for others. Maybe not in this case... since its pretty blatant... but every other case. As long as government is going to give away money and decide who gets it... theres goign to be people trying to get it through every legal mechanism. The answer is to stop giving money away then you don't have these problems.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:49 am

Sarvis wrote:
Corth wrote:People are what they are.

People are what society teaches them to be. Society made a choice to promote greed as a virtue, and this is the result. The law itself probably wouldn't even be necessary if we promoted things like social responsibility as a virtue ahead of greed.

Ah... nature vs. nurture.

12 million people and enough food for 10 million, and we'll see what society promotes or doesn't promote and what people learn or don't learn.
Teflor does. Teflor does not.
Botef
Sojourner

Postby Botef » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:03 pm

Remarkable story, thanks for posting that. I work in the printing industry and I must say this comes as a bit of a shock considering paper prices have nearly doubled in the last five years. Everyone I've spoken to in the paper industry said it was rising fuel costs which is probably the case. At any rate, I'm not excited about seeing what happens down the line when this abuse gets corrected. If the paper industry can barely stay afloat with huge payouts from the IRS things could get real ugly.
Sunamit group-says 'imrex west, tibek backstab touk i think his name is on entry'
// Post Count +1

Return to “T2 General Discussion Archive”