Latest Whale Hunt Seasons Catch Short of Target

Life, the universe, and everything.
Forum rules
- No personal attacks against players or staff members - please be civil!
- No posting of mature images/links, keep content SFW. If it's NSFW, don't post it on these forums.
ssar
Sojourner

Latest Whale Hunt Seasons Catch Short of Target

Postby ssar » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:53 am

From, posted April 13 2009:

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/asia-pacific/2009/04/200941372250966811.html

"Japan's whaling fleet has returned to its home port after violent clashes with anti-whaling activists damaged its ships and left the Antarctic hunting season's catch well short of its target, officials have said.

Officials said the six vessels had caught 679 minke whales and one fin whale during its five-month hunt, short of the targeted 935 minke whales and 50 fin whales in the hunt that began in November."

---

(Those figures don't represent "well short", for mine, btw.)

It wasn't just "damaged ships" that caused this.

The mere presence, chasing, causing whaling vessels (from any country, by the way) to use up significant time & resources to try and escape & avoid the regions in which environmental protection vessels were in played a big part.
And, too, the whaling vessels looking to avoid (international) media scrutiny.

We can almost say it has been a job well done, with some positive success, by the environmental protection groups.

Unfortunately, too many whales have still been unnecessarily & inhumanely slaughtered.

An interesting positive effect of these whaling fleet chases is the similarities between the whales trying to escape slaughter when they sense harpoons coming at them, and the whaling fleets trying to escape environmental protection groups.
Kinda giving them a dose of what they are trying to do - 'cept the whaling vessels are not trying to be harpooned and slaughtered inhumanely.

...Perhaps the stakes should be raised, I hear there are a few pirates out of business these days - toss a few million $ under the table to a few of them and make the hunters become the truly hunted?
BEER
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Re: Latest Whale Hunt Seasons Catch Short of Target

Postby teflor the ranger » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:26 pm

Whales aren't people. Some people are whales, however.
Teflor does. Teflor does not.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:24 pm

This is going to increase the cost of my whale fin soup. Fuck.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:39 pm

Corth wrote:This is going to increase the cost of my whale fin soup. Fuck.

Look, I know they talk funny... but the Finnish are people too!
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
ssar
Sojourner

Postby ssar » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:13 pm

Japanese Whaling Operations Suspended

17 Feb 2011: "Japanese Fisheries Agency official Tatsuya Nakaoku said the Japanese factory ship, the Nisshin Maru, had suspended operations since February 10 "to ensure the safety (of the crew)" following numerous skirmishes with Sea Shepherd activists in icy Antarctic waters."

http://www.news.com.au/national/japanes ... 6007184366

This is good news to wake up to this morning - The more whales saved from this disgraceful practice the better. Let's hope reports of "a changing tide of domestic opinion" in Japan are true..
BEER
Vigis
Sojourner

Postby Vigis » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:21 am

Now, if they can just get the cove shut down....
Nerox tells you 'Good deal, the other tanks I have don't wanna do it, and since your my special suicidal tank i figure you don't mind one bit!'

Alurissi tells you 'aren't you susposed to get sick or something and not beable to make tia so i can go? :P'
Teflor Lyorian
Sojourner

Postby Teflor Lyorian » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:08 am

Why is it wrong to hunt whales, again? Anyone else rooting these people on ever have sushi...?
"You see, the devil haunts a hungry man.
If you don’t wanna join him, you got to beat him."
- Kris Kristofferson (To Beat the Devil)
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:35 am

Sushi ... don't touch the stuff. Cold rice and seaweed is just nasty.

Personally, I thought buying off the pirates to harrass the Japanese was slightly short of brilliant. The only reason it's not brilliant is because the Japanese would then buy off their own pirates, and next thing you know they really WOULD be hunting and slaughtering people, except it would be the activists instead of the whalers.

Of course, the numbers they give aren't even close to the actual harvest numbers. You know ... for science ...
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
Vigis
Sojourner

Postby Vigis » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:47 am

In and of itself, I have no problem with them hunting whales. It is the wholesale nature of commercial hunting and the inhumane slaughter of whales that I dislike. It was done commercially in the 1800's and reduced the population to dangerously near extinction so the blubber could be rendered into oil for perfume. Scarce resources need to be protected.

Regarding the cove, it is again the method with which I take issue. If you can find the footage, I suggest watching it and truly hope you find the method sickening.

I take no issue with hunting; I do it myself and grew up eating deer and elk. Now that I live in Australia, I eat kangaroo as well. Sadly though, the laws here made it too difficult for me to bring my guns, so I don't get to hunt the roos myself.

Though I hunt, I am also a conservationist and believe that vulnerable species must be protected until their numbers are large enough to be sustainable and not cause irreversible harm to the ecosystem.

The problem, as it has always been, is that some cultures disagree on what is a sustainable number.

So anyhow, now you have my opinion on why it is wrong to hunt whales. In summation:

1. I believe their numbers are too low to allow for harvesting.
2. I am disgusted by the method used.
Teflor Lyorian
Sojourner

Postby Teflor Lyorian » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:10 am

The method does seem pretty cruel.

However, I don't believe that it's impossible to have a sustainable catch.
dem
Sojourner

Postby dem » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:38 am

Im a hunter myself. I hunt moose and game birds which I prepare and eat myself. Call me a hipocrit if you want but hunting highly intelligent mammals is just so wrong...
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:08 pm

how come this hasn't been moved to the politics forum?

DUGMAREN DO YOUR JOB!
Teflor Lyorian
Sojourner

Postby Teflor Lyorian » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:23 pm

dem wrote:Im a hunter myself. I hunt moose and game birds which I prepare and eat myself. Call me a hipocrit if you want but hunting highly intelligent mammals is just so wrong...

Hmm, it appears that SOME whales may possibly be intelligent. Harvested whale brains appear to have a type of cell that is similar to the ones thought to be responsible in human brains for higher emotions.

Still, where's the evidence for them being intelligent? It's enough for me that they might be, the Japanese should focus on growing more cows.

Return to “T2 General Discussion Archive”