Conservatism and sexual deviancy. Correlated?

Life, the universe, and everything.
Forum rules
- No personal attacks against players or staff members - please be civil!
- No posting of mature images/links, keep content SFW. If it's NSFW, don't post it on these forums.
avak
Sojourner

Conservatism and sexual deviancy. Correlated?

Postby avak » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:37 pm

Two up and coming Repubs in a week admit to extramarital affairs. Sanford even skipped Father's Day to be with his special lady friend.

Both Ensign and Sanford voted for Clinton's impeachment. Both oppose gay marriage because it threatens the institute of traditional marriage.

Wow, when the cons derail they really do it in style. Anyone want to bet on midterm elections?
kiryan
Sojourner

Re: Conservatism and sexual deviancy. Correlated?

Postby kiryan » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:43 pm

Newt Gingrich ought to be right up there on your list as well as he was speaker when they were trying to impeach Clinton. There is also that Republican who got stung in an airport essentially soliciting for gay sex.

Its a freaking shame that Republicans continuously conduct themselves in this manner. Theres at least a couple Dems in trouble for the same thing.

I'm sure they are just clearing it out now so its not news in 2010. Its a shame every way you look at it.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:29 am

Lets add Elliot Spitzer, Bill Clinton, and John Edwards to the mix on the left side of the aisle.

Seems to me politicians are just deviant assholes. Probably need to be one to excel in that business.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Clan Blindhammer
Sojourner

Postby Clan Blindhammer » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:34 am

Yeah I think if you tallied it up over the years, Corth has a point - its pretty damn even across the board.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:41 am

Avak has a point though too. Republicans are the ones that supposedly encourage traditional morality. It always seems a bit more hypocritical when they get caught up in this type of garbage.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:53 pm

Hippocritical, but no different when it happens on the other side. You're still violating an agreement with your partner and doing damage to your family and usually lieing to your constituents.

The morale corruption in America is shameful. From cheating on your partner, to tests, the IRS or the numbers at your company.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:07 pm

kiryan wrote:Hippocritical, but no different when it happens on the other side. You're still violating an agreement with your partner and doing damage to your family and usually lieing to your constituents.

The morale corruption in America is shameful. From cheating on your partner, to tests, the IRS or the numbers at your company.

Huh?

Oh, and what's shameful is that you think people were/are different in another time or place.
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:34 pm

show me a time in history where generally speaking, the foundation of a marriage committment didn't include exclusive sexual relations? It still true today whether you are republican or democrat. When you are married, you 99% of the time agree de facto not to sleep with other people.

When you don't keep your word it is shameful whether everyone is doing it or not.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:27 pm

kiryan wrote:show me a time in history where generally speaking, the foundation of a marriage committment didn't include exclusive sexual relations? It still true today whether you are republican or democrat. When you are married, you 99% of the time agree de facto not to sleep with other people.

When you don't keep your word it is shameful whether everyone is doing it or not.

How about ancient Greece?

"Although fidelity was demanded of wices, it was not required of husbands. Nevertheless certain obligations went with marriage: a law of Solon required married men to have sexual relations at least three times each month. In addition, Greek opinion expected a married man to abstain from open or notorious relationships with women other than his wife, although flirtations and even sexual relationships with young men were not considered altogether incompatible with marriage. But Athenian practice often failed to conform to Athenian ideals. Although Aristotle asserted that Athenian husbands had the same duty to observe sexual fidelity as their wices, neither law nor common practice penalized the straying husband as it did the unfaithful wife. And despite the teachings of ethical writers, wealthy athenian men often kept concubines..." - http://books.google.com/books?id=SiGe-Zf0nTIC&dq="Law,+Sex,+and+Christian+Society+in+Medieval+Europe"&printsec=frontcover&source=bn&hl=en&ei=jKNDSpOTG46GMdv25LAC&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4

Even when the ideal allowed for clandestine sexual dalliances people had no desire to keep to it, and no repercussions for doing so.

On a more amusing note, I happened across this description of a Spartan marriage ceremony:

"In ancient Sparta, the ceremony was very simple. After a tussle, to prove his superior strength, the groom would toss his bride over his shoulder and carried her off."
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
avak
Sojourner

Postby avak » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:55 pm

According to the Ethnographic Atlas Codebook, of the 1231 societies noted, 186 were monogamous. 453 had occasional polygyny, 588 had more frequent polygyny, and 4 had polyandry.

The difference between hypocritical liberals and hypocritical conservatives is that the cons are actively preaching from their morale soapbox. One of core issues in the Republican platform is family values.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:18 pm

kiryan wrote:show me a time in history where generally speaking, the foundation of a marriage committment didn't include exclusive sexual relations? It still true today whether you are republican or democrat. When you are married, you 99% of the time agree de facto not to sleep with other people.

Swingers and Sarvis' examples among others.

I agree with your last statement, though. But I think the humor in this thread is not that dems don't believe in the same foundations of marriage as it pertains to sex as the republicans. I think the humor derives from the fact that the more rightwing nuts take it to such an extreme -- such as impeaching a president because of such discretions. It is humorous and "more" hypocritical, if you allow gradations of the word, to openly condemn others, persecute them, blame social problems on people who do such things, etc. (republican extremists) rather than just holding the belief that it is wrong (democrats).

Put it this way: everyone with half a brain in America understands that cheating on your significant other is wrong (most times ethically AND morally); however, I have never heard democrats blame 9/11, katrina, etc. on the country's moral choices or discretions.
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:52 am

FYI Kifle - Clinton was not impeached for using his cigar as a dildo on Monica Lewinsky. Rather, he was impeached because he lied under oath in a civil case concerning a previous relationship. Thats perjury - which is a felony. I don't care whether or not you think he should have been subject to such questions under oath. The fact of the matter is he was, and he committed a crime. He should have been convicted in the Senate.

Goddamned slippery mage.
Clan Blindhammer
Sojourner

Postby Clan Blindhammer » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:19 am

The difference between hypocritical liberals and hypocritical conservatives is that the cons are actively preaching from their morale soapbox. One of core issues in the Republican platform is family values.

shit, i knew something was wrong with this Party. Can I go back to independent now?
King Artikerus Blindhammer
---------------
Kiaransalee responds to your petition with 'I have no opinion, keeps me out of trouble.'
Malar responds to your petition with 'you die more than a morigroup'
Kossuth responds to your petition with 'please go away :P'
Rillifane responds to your petition with 'be the nance.... you are the nance... you are one with the nance...'
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:18 am

Corth wrote:FYI Kifle - Clinton was not impeached for using his cigar as a dildo on Monica Lewinsky. Rather, he was impeached because he lied under oath in a civil case concerning a previous relationship. Thats perjury - which is a felony. I don't care whether or not you think he should have been subject to such questions under oath. The fact of the matter is he was, and he committed a crime. He should have been convicted in the Senate.

I know why he was impeached, I was just being too general I suppose. Didn't know you were going to be so pedantic. And, while I understand that you are more of the mindset of "regardless of whether I agree with it or not, it's a law" than I am, in this case, I don't believe the trial in which he committed perjury should have ever happened -- which is what I was basically stating previously. So, while I respect that you don't care in this case, I obviously do, and I was attempting to convey that through my general message. He was impeached, more or less, because of moral witch hunting.

And you have to admit, he lawyered the fuck out of that hearing. That man is gifted.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:10 pm

Not sure I would characterize a private party civil suit as a 'witch hunt'.

There was, of course, a lot of attention regarding his sexual indiscretions prior to the Monica Lewinsky scandal. That might be considered more of a 'witch hunt', though I think its pretty natural for people to be interested in the sex lives of famous people. And of course, if its Britney Spears thats one thing, but if its the guy who is supposed to be your leader.. have his finger on the nuclear button etc., then maybe moral character is actually relevent.

Goddamned slippery mage.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:22 pm

Corth wrote:Not sure I would characterize a private party civil suit as a 'witch hunt'.

There was, of course, a lot of attention regarding his sexual indiscretions prior to the Monica Lewinsky scandal. That might be considered more of a 'witch hunt', though I think its pretty natural for people to be interested in the sex lives of famous people. And of course, if its Britney Spears thats one thing, but if its the guy who is supposed to be your leader.. have his finger on the nuclear button etc., then maybe moral character is actually relevent.

There was too much attention regarding his sexual indiscretions. And by too much, I mean anything beyond, "lol, he hit that fatty." While it may be natural for us to be interested, the interest got way out of hand -- especially given who it was.

Now, please do not try to equate the moral flexibility needed for extramarital affairs to that needed to nuke a country for less than justifiable cause (whatever that ever may be). The two are independent save the category under which they fall (morality/ethics). I smoke, but I would never murder. I had premarital sex as a teenager, but I would never hang my child out the window by its leg (too soon?). His sex life had absolutely nothing to do with his job. Not to mention the numerous presidents that had extramarital affairs and did a damn fine job as president -- or were one of the founding fathers (I'm looking at you Jefferson). That, Corth, was a poor argument in the late nineties, and its still a poor argument today.

Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:54 pm

Kifle wrote:His sex life had absolutely nothing to do with his job.

Well, except that it was with a co-worker. :P

Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:00 pm

Sarvis wrote:

It was an intern :P It's not like he was fucking janet reno...

Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:00 pm

Kifle wrote:
Sarvis wrote:

Are you sure? Maybe he just didn't get caught...

Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:03 pm

Sarvis wrote:
Kifle wrote:
Sarvis wrote:

Are you sure? Maybe he just didn't get caught...

Oh god, I hope not. He'd be on par with Larry Craig then :(

Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:22 am

Title of the thread should be, "Sexual reproductive systems and sexual deviancy. Correlated?"
-Todrael Azz'miala, Ravager
Get Toril Guides and Maps at Todrael's Lair
Get Item Stats at TorilEQ
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:53 pm

One of my co-workers is the biggest hard-core republican you'd ever meet.

Yet, she admitted to menage a trois (mff -when 31+ yrs old, with lesbian action), had numerous sexual encounters via the internet, and has repeatedly sent nudes of herself.

I tend to think that the primordial part of the brain has nothing to do with politics. Ask Bill Clinton. Pants go down, so does the IQ and wisdom in decision making.

Politics are weird to me. I hate them. There's Demo, Repub..then there's the media nicknamed 'third parties.' With such a vast ideology, especially in the US, how can there only be two parties that are fully recognized?
Grundar tells you 'I took on the entire football team once. The only reason my mom knew later was because I had a runny nose'
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:03 pm

because of the way the public funding works... the way private / party fundraising works... becaues of the self made rules of the legislative bodies that propogate essentially a 2 party system by restricting 3rd party candidates of having any real power. Why would you want to fund someone who even if they win will have no power?

that being said, the trend towards a centrist group within each party to pass legislation is an interesting and an alarming one. A 3rd party could come out of such "regular" alliances. One one hand, you can get quasi compromise, on the other hand... as it becomes more regular and more acceptable... you can almost sell your vote.

Schools are fond of teaching how great compromise is... It is great when you can compromise and both parties walk away reasonably happy... it is not good when both parties get something and walk away grumbling. its just expensive and everyone is unhappy.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:21 pm

More importantly.. Thilindel, please explain how I can get ahold of your co-worker and her friend!

Thanks!

Goddamned slippery mage.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:05 am

Corth wrote:More importantly.. Thilindel, please explain how I can get ahold of your co-worker and her friend!

Thanks!

Screw that, I'm the desperate one here!

Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:18 am

she's really outspoken, so maybe you'd be lectured DURING the naughty. Er, probably not on morality, but who knows!
Grundar tells you 'I took on the entire football team once. The only reason my mom knew later was because I had a runny nose'
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:17 pm

Thats ok with me. have her email me at bigdaddywantsa3some@yahoo.com
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:34 am

kiryan wrote:Thats ok with me. have her email me at bigdaddywantsa3some@yahoo.com

So much for republican family values.

Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:25 am

But he has the word 'daddy' in his email address!

Goddamned slippery mage.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:10 pm

I don't necessarily think that conservatives are more prone to sexual deviancy... I'm sure someone, somewhere has done a study of politicians and public figures involved in sex scandals, but I don't really care to research it. It's more shocking when it's a Republican, however, because Republicans are almost always the ones trying to cram moral legislation down our throats to outlaw the very acts they so often engage in. It's the added hypocrisy factor that makes it so much more biting.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
avak
Sojourner

Postby avak » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:43 pm

I thought the same thing Corth....

Sanford has since admitted to numerous 'indiscretions' with other women where he was just 'blowing off steam with the guys.' Of course, he still feels he is fit to govern and that his wife should let him work this out. What an ass! How arrogant can you be to still claim some kind of moral superiority through this?
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:41 pm

yea I agree. He may still be technically capable of doing the job... maybe better than anyone else on the short list... but you have a code of conduct you have to live up to as a leader as a Republican.

This is Elliot Spitzer and egoism all over again, he cut his teeth on breaking up prostitution rings and destroying people's lives... then goes out and hires a prostitute and finds some way to compartmentalize and justify it? Sanford "its a tragic love story"... for Jenny maybe, not your horny ass.

Return to “T2 General Discussion Archive”