the trade row with China

Life, the universe, and everything.
Forum rules
- No personal attacks against players or staff members - please be civil!
- No posting of mature images/links, keep content SFW. If it's NSFW, don't post it on these forums.
kiryan
Sojourner

the trade row with China

Postby kiryan » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:45 am

As a backdrop, Obama is ordering import taxes on Chinese steel, accusing Chinese of "dumping" (selling their product at a lower than market value generally for the purpose of running competitors out of business).

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/12 ... l-imports/

So what I wanted to question is whether this is right or wrong. We've been losing our manufacturing jobs to overseas for a couple of decades now... all in the name of globalism. Its allowed China to become relatively prosperous (compared to the past), but the other half of the deal, where China becomes dependent on our high tech goods and content (hollywood) has not been delivered. So in other words, Chinese market is encouraged to buy a Chinese brand router instead of a Cisco router even if Cisco is cheaper and better because China knows that its fledgling tech companies can't compete with the giants who have been engineering this stuff for 30 years.

To furthe rthis end, China just put out some "guidelines" that try and force hi tech corporations to transfer their technology to chinese companies in order to win chinese business. Venuzela is about to do the same to its car companies. So should we end the notion of globalism as we have plenty of evidence by now that China and others aren't going to open up their markets like they promised too? The WTO just agreed with the US that China is unfairly preventing American media content from reaching CHinese consumers through their practice of requiring foreign movies to be essentially resold through Chinese companies because they must be censored properly for the CHinese audience.

Billions of dollars in trade deficits could be erased very quickly with sufficiently high tariffs. American manufacturing in particular could be instantly "competitive" again (at least for the US market). However, we as Americans would suffer much higher prices than we are used to because of the false sense of prosperity we have enjoyed trading our labor 1 hour for 10 or 20 chinese hours. Is it to our advantage to continue to allow our corporations to operate at a disadvantage? China limiting their investment and control of Chinese companies while the US treats everyone relatively similar (the abu dubai port deal and the airbus tanker contract not withstanding).

Obama's positions on trade are in complete opposition to the direction we've been on for the past 20 years... however, I'm starting to wonder how long we are going to pit our individual, capitalism driven companies against a concerted plan being exceuted by the Chinese government... I believe CHina is playing a very strong game of Chess, and it looks like we're sacrificing pawns thinking we're luring the King out. The question in my mind is whether or not we have grand master(s) playing on our side or just the player of the term.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Re: the trade row with China

Postby Ragorn » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:31 pm

I don't think the concept of globalism is a simple on/off switch. China is playing dirty by cherry picking which companies are permitted to operate within their country, and entire industries are being locked out so Chinese companies can gain a bigger foothold on their market. On the one hand, we shouldn't take this as a sign that we should shut down trade with China completely... but I don't think we should continue to offer them free reign on our economy if they're going to continue to be guarded with our products.
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:29 am

Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:48 pm

Yeah, that doesn't remind me of Hanh at all... :(
Oghma
Staff Member - Admin

Postby Oghma » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:54 am

Sarvis wrote:Yeah, that doesn't remind me of Hanh at all... :(

I miss Kayla...
Pril
Sojourner

Postby Pril » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:29 pm

Oghma wrote:
Sarvis wrote:Yeah, that doesn't remind me of Hanh at all... :(

I miss Kayla...

Point Oghma
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:34 pm

Meh. I miss Kayla too.
Pril
Sojourner

Postby Pril » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:42 pm

Sarvis wrote:Meh. I miss Kayla too.

Double pints for Oghma! :)
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:32 pm

I swear to god, if you spill that stupid Hanh shit into every thread like you did with Kayla, I'm going to block you again.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:37 pm

Ragorn wrote:I swear to god, if you spill that stupid Hanh shit into every thread like you did with Kayla, I'm going to block you again.

Whatever. One fucking thread because there was a picture of asians in military uniform.

I think of her when I see a National Guard commercial too, big fucking surprise!

But no, go overreact some more please. Not like I'm a fucking person over here that's going through something.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:02 pm

Hey now, not everyone can keep their feelings on the inside. At least Sarvis feels, for some strange reason that is incomprehensible to me, that people here care about his heartache. Let it out big fellah, you'll meet someone special.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:11 am

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6 ... 0073510:z0

The regulation requires any product listed in the catalog to contain intellectual property developed and owned in China, making it "nearly impossible" for American companies to qualify unless they are prepared to establish Chinese brands and transfer their research and development of new products to China," the groups said.

yes I guess it was foolish to assume China would be our willing manufacturing slaves while we continued to produce and maintain the lead on the higher end goods (intellectual property). This article makes the same connection between the new chinese 'preferred' catalog the requirement to transfer technology (intellectual property) to be in it. basically, china is encouraging all the world's companies to own their IP in China (and license it from their obviously) in order to have access to the Chinese market.

If we let this happen... it will be a Chinese future.

Return to “T2 General Discussion Archive”