Final Fantasy XIII

Life, the universe, and everything.
Forum rules
- No personal attacks against players or staff members - please be civil!
- No posting of mature images/links, keep content SFW. If it's NSFW, don't post it on these forums.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Final Fantasy XIII

Postby Sarvis » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:20 pm

So I took the day off work yesterday, and around lunch time remembered FFXIII was out and I could use a new game.

I then proceeded to play for 9 or 10 hour straight, completing the first disc.

So yeah, great game so far!

Combat:

They've gone back to the ATB system. Sort of. They've changed it up in that you only control a single character while the others fight based on AI. I know, I know... I hate that too. In FFXIII however that doesn't seem to matter!

First, because entering commands is a little more complex. Instead of just picking fight, or magic you actually enter in a series of commands based on your ATB gauge. You start off with 2 ATB "slots" so you can attack twice or use your special move which is an AOE attack. (At least with the first two leaders they have you use.) As you progress in the game you'll obtain more slots. The other nifty trick is that you can trigger your attacks early by pressing Y, if you don't want to wait for the ATB gauge to fill up entirely.

Combat moves pretty quickly, and doesn't stop to wait for you to enter the commands... so controlling one person is really hectic and engaging enough.

But wait, there's more!

There is also the Paradigm system. This controls what Role (aka job) everyone has in combat. The roles I've seen so far include Commando, Defender?, Ravager, Medic, Saboteur, Synergist. Commando is your fighter, Defender protects the rest of the party and the rest of the roles represent the schools of magic broken down into each group:

Ravager: Damage spells
Medic: Healing spells
Synergist: Enhancement spells
Saboteur: De-Enhancement spells

This is actually pretty useful since you don't have control over the entire party. If someone is in the Medic role he will be healing, not attacking or casting shell or whatever. If he's in the Saboteur role he will be casting spells to weaken enemies.

You can switch roles on the fly by switching your paradigm, which then switches how everyone will behave. So you might start off with the Smart Bomb paradigm (two Ravagers and a Saboteur) until the Saboteur has weakened your enemy with De-Shell, then switch to Tri-Disaster so all three of you pump him full of Fire spells.

All of that gives you a LOT to pay attention to as the player, and lets you have decent control over what the party will be doing. It's actually quite fun...

The other thing they've changed is to get rid of MP. Since spells are basically just another way of attacking now, it would have been crippling to a Ravager or Medic to have a limited amount of MP when their only choice is to spam spells during a fight. (When in a magic-user role you don't have an attack command.) They also completely restore your health at the end of every fight, which actually makes fights harder since you don't end up overpowered to your enemies by the end of a dungeon. Your hitpoints don't go up much, so the enemies that were a real threat at the beginning are still tough to take on at the end when there's an entire group of them.
Korin
Sojourner

Re: Final Fantasy XIII

Postby Korin » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:07 pm

I love it.. I've beaten it and am now trying to do missions and complete some final weapon evolutions.

great game, beautiful graphics, fun combat.

i give it a 9, because I probably won't replay it when I'm done. ^.^

(ps3)
Callarduran
Staff Member - Admin

Postby Callarduran » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:04 pm

I've basically just started it...only about maybe 4 hours in? Beautiful game, and I'm enjoying the combat system. I wouldn't say it is polished yet, but it is nicely done.

My main complaint at this point is the excessive number of cut scenes. This may lighten up once I get farther in, and out of the "introduction" phase of the game, but it does seem like there are too many. 1-3 fights, cut scene. 1-3 fights, cut scene. Even for a Final Fantasy game it is too much.
--There needs to be a word for the irrational desire to reason with the delusional.

Oghma OOC: 'Please use me.'
Callarduran
Staff Member - Admin

Postby Callarduran » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:18 pm

I think I finally figured out what I don't like about FFXIII. It's the "retry" option on battles.

Don't get me wrong, this option has basically been around since the advent of the save point. You die, or the battle doesn't go the way you like it, bam - restart from the last save point. But this option comes up immediately after you die in a battle. Retry? Cool, you start this battle at the beginning again. You don't even have to go back to the last save point. I almost have to wonder why having save points in the first place...or at least as often as they are placed in this game.

I love this game. It is a great deal of fun, and I will almost certainly run through it several times before letting it sit on the shelf for a couple months, only to drag it out again and play some more.

Maybe I've been ruined with Demon's Souls, where there is a PENALTY for death. Of course, Demon's Souls is basically Stockholm Syndrome on a disc.
--There needs to be a word for the irrational desire to reason with the delusional.

Oghma OOC: 'Please use me.'

Return to “T2 General Discussion Archive”