State's Rights

Life, the universe, and everything.
Forum rules
- No personal attacks against players or staff members - please be civil!
- No posting of mature images/links, keep content SFW. If it's NSFW, don't post it on these forums.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

State's Rights

Postby teflor the ranger » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:42 pm

Liberty can be pursued on both the national stage and elsewhere. It seems like there is a resurgence of states exercising their rights against the primacy of a monstrous Federal government.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35906430/
kiryan
Sojourner

Re: State's Rights

Postby kiryan » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:01 pm

I'd love to hope that they could change the tide.

However how can you win. They raise taxes and take more control over money and the economy every year. They don't have to order you to do things; they can just say if you don't do this, we'll just keep all your tax money. Imagine how crippling it would be for a states to have its residents pay federal taxes and get none back in earmarks, roads, medicaid, school funds.
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:30 pm

for the record, its partially our own fault for allowing our representatives to ask for so much from the federal government on various lobbyist platforms' behalf. just my opinion, before you call me stupid, tell me how im wrong please and thank you.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:34 pm

Not really. There's this thing in a representative democracy called the majority.
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:02 pm

the majority votes for the campaign promises that sound most congruent with their lifestyle and economic principles and that campaign devotes his term to taking care of the interests of the industries that financed those campaign promises while reconciling the difference to the best of his ability in order to obtain further votes.

basically, the interests of the majority are only served if those same interests are in alignment with those who finance the campaign platform.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:46 pm

in general people don't pay attention to what is going on so they are easily persuaded by slogans and hot button issues allowing money to dominate decisions.

we are complacent because the nanny state takes care of us and doesn't steal from enough of us to piss us off.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:20 am

Yes, most Americans have accepted this form of soft slavery because it does provide some benefits. The question, I think, of when the public will respond will be when soft slavery gets a little too firm for comfort.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:45 am

teflor the ranger wrote:Yes, most Americans have accepted this form of soft slavery

I'm just glad the term has been upgraded from "theft" to "soft slavery." It was getting old, and I think you neocons needed some snappier new terminology!
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:46 am

Can we throw in some light bondage, too?
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:36 am

Todrael wrote:Can we throw in some light bondage, too?

In time, maybe next year when they pass some revisions to the health care bill!
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:32 pm

Sarvis wrote:
teflor the ranger wrote:Yes, most Americans have accepted this form of soft slavery

I'm just glad the term has been upgraded from "theft" to "soft slavery." It was getting old, and I think you neocons needed some snappier new terminology!

The term neocon you keep tossing around - I don't apply. I am and have always been a market liberalist with some social liberalist leanings.

Furthermore, theft was never a correct label. In theft you generally have a legal recourse. When it comes to continued, growing taxation, where you have no legal recourse or few options but to pay or be like Wesley Snipes, it's just a form of slavery.

Return to “T2 General Discussion Archive”