The NY Times on CNN

Life, the universe, and everything.
Forum rules
- No personal attacks against players or staff members - please be civil!
- No posting of mature images/links, keep content SFW. If it's NSFW, don't post it on these forums.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

The NY Times on CNN

Postby teflor the ranger » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:29 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/05/opini ... uthat.html

I thought this article was rather good and pins down the central balance issue with American media and the American life.
Corth
Sojourner

Re: The NY Times on CNN

Postby Corth » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:45 pm

That's what CNN gets for listening to "John Daily"
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:28 pm

If there's no market for objective news, fact checking, and in-depth journalism, then I suppose the American public deserves to be uninformed. Not that CNN has ever done any of those things, as Jon points out regularly.

I also think it's pretty funny that the linked NYT article is an uninformative opinion piece.
Last edited by Todrael on Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:34 pm

Why do you think it's funny that the NYT opinion piece did not include any fact checking, in-depth journalism or objectivity? It's not like the writer was advocating in favor of those things... quite the opposite.
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:37 pm

Exactly :)

Hilarious.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:13 pm

I don't know that I agree with there being no market for objective reporting. There is no objective reporting anymore, certainly not at CNN. 60 minutes used to be very good stuff, but even that is biased these days. I used to really enjoy 60 minutes and if someone actually put effort into unbias'd reporting I'd probably use it as a primary news source.
Disoputlip
Sojourner

Postby Disoputlip » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:38 pm

Personally I lost everything for CNN during the first Iraq war.

I think they have spend many many years to recover from the way international viewers looked at their "Egypt army buildup" story.

I think it is important for a media to position itself. And I seriously doubt it is John Steward alone that have made any editorial changes on CNN.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:26 pm

Todrael wrote:I also think it's pretty funny that the linked NYT article is an uninformative opinion piece.

Lol. For a while there Todrael, I was wondering if you had a sense of humor.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:40 pm

kiryan wrote:I don't know that I agree with there being no market for objective reporting. There is no objective reporting anymore, certainly not at CNN. 60 minutes used to be very good stuff, but even that is biased these days. I used to really enjoy 60 minutes and if someone actually put effort into unbias'd reporting I'd probably use it as a primary news source.

The problem with your opinion is that because you view everything from the perspective of a radical right wing extremist, even reality has a liberal tint.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:01 pm

Ragorn wrote:
kiryan wrote:I don't know that I agree with there being no market for objective reporting. There is no objective reporting anymore, certainly not at CNN. 60 minutes used to be very good stuff, but even that is biased these days. I used to really enjoy 60 minutes and if someone actually put effort into unbias'd reporting I'd probably use it as a primary news source.

The problem with your opinion is that because you view everything from the perspective of a radical right wing extremist, even reality has a liberal tint.

Are you freaking kidding me. Kiryan is technically a liberal.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:05 pm

teflor the ranger wrote:
Ragorn wrote:

Considering everyone in our country is right of center on the political scale, I choose to ridicule you and call you ignorant. The only way Kiryan is a liberal is in a donut world where he has wrapped around the board from right to left.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:10 pm

Ragorn wrote:
teflor the ranger wrote:
Ragorn wrote:

Considering everyone in our country is right of center on the political scale, I choose to ridicule you and call you ignorant. The only way Kiryan is a liberal is in a donut world where he has wrapped around the board from right to left.

You might consider looking up what liberalism is, you know, instead of bullshitting.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:24 pm

i want radical change from the status quo in the direction of conservatism.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:40 pm

And American conservativism, in the style that Kiryan advocates, is decidedly liberal favoring liberty, freedom, and an equality of rights.

Look it up.
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:44 pm

You're equivocating. Nobody in the US uses 'liberal' to mean what it actually means.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:02 pm

They should start. Otherwise it's just some jackass's perferred projected idea of what the middle is (read as: bias) [aka, bullshit]. If you think Kiryan is a right-wing extremist, you have no freaking clue as to what a right-wing extremist is. Trying to paint him as one is simply maligning his character and misrepresenting what American conservatives are.

After all, all Kiryan is looking for is change. Most Americans should be able to understand that.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:47 am

kiryan wrote:i want radical change from the status quo in the direction of conservatism.

And considering that the status quo in our country is already far-right, that makes you a radical extremist.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:48 am

Ragorn wrote:
kiryan wrote:i want radical change from the status quo in the direction of conservatism.

And considering that the status quo in our country is already far-right, that makes you a radical extremist.

The far right of what, exactly?

Return to “T2 General Discussion Archive”