Ipad article

Life, the universe, and everything.
Forum rules
- No personal attacks against players or staff members - please be civil!
- No posting of mature images/links, keep content SFW. If it's NSFW, don't post it on these forums.
Adriorn Darkcloak
Sojourner

Ipad article

Postby Adriorn Darkcloak » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:14 pm

Wanted to hear some comments on this from the Ipad/phone guys out there. Was interesting.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Re: Ipad article

Postby teflor the ranger » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:43 pm

I've heard many similar things said about money, being the soul-killer. That and robots.

I find that tools are often to blame for killing the soul. This may be true in some ways. While the mechanized loom may have made all of our t-shirt fabrics look exactly the same, killing the soul found in hand-made clothing, man has found a way for the soul to be re-expressed in the way of press graphics and different colors.

Music, on the other hand, is essential to the soul, and perhaps it should be more disposable, lest we ply ourselves with stale and past date notes.

Here's the problem. Technology, while external, is still tangible and real. We only deprive our internal selves of much should we come to rely on such things, which would only become a problem if they suddenly went away.

Oh, no iPad or iPhone here, adding my two cents anyway.
Botef
Sojourner

Re: Ipad article

Postby Botef » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:45 pm

I've been yammering on about how the internet is slowly shifting our needs for memorization for a lot of years now, mainly because I've seen it slowly happening to me. I en liken it to memorizing the dewy decimal number for a particular book rather than memorizing information the book contains. Its a hard habit for me to break and I don't own a iphone/smartphone with constant internet access. I think the next interesting paradigm shift though will be in the form of language as the communication barriers between countries becomes less pronounced.

Return to “T2 General Discussion Archive”