why do I keep seeing go back to school for women?

Life, the universe, and everything.
Forum rules
- No personal attacks against players or staff members - please be civil!
- No posting of mature images/links, keep content SFW. If it's NSFW, don't post it on these forums.
kiryan
Sojourner

why do I keep seeing go back to school for women?

Postby kiryan » Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:12 am

Why do I keep seeing ads for women to go back to school? Government wants women to go back to school. Are you a women, finish your degree?

More women are going to college and graduating from college than ever... so why are all these ads for government programs focused on women?

Where are the programs for whitey men?
Corth
Sojourner

Re: why do I keep seeing go back to school for women?

Postby Corth » Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:19 am

Any of you watch the TV show Mad Men on AMC? It depicts, more or less accurately, the culture of a professional office circa the early to mid 1960's. It's kind of crazy how much has changed in just 50 years. Not so long ago the women in offices were all secretaries. Now it seems that more often than not, the person in charge is a woman. Truth be told, I think women are just more geared towards that kind of work environment anyway. I would certainly be surprised to see a woman show up to sweep a chimney or build a fence. They say that over 50% of college graduates are female now, and I would expect the percentage to increase over time.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:52 am

I want to say the latest one I read was like 60 and 70%... heres an article

http://researchnews.osu.edu/archive/womcolge.htm

That helps explain why, since 1982, women have outpaced men in college graduation rates. In 2004, women received 58 percent of all bachelor's degrees in the United States, compared to only 35 percent in 1960.

Overall, 63 percent of women who enrolled in four-year colleges graduated, compared to 55 percent of men.

Buchmann noted that since the NELS data were collected, women have gained a lead in college enrollment, as well as graduation. In the fall of 2002, 55 percent of students enrolling in 4-year colleges were women.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:58 pm

The influence of women in the public sphere has really changed the way things are done. It's a gross generalization but still there is something to it: Women tend to be guided more by emotion than men. Hence the touchy feely politically correct mentality that became more prevalent as women took over positions of public power. The whole idea of a nanny state is likely an outgrowth of the female nurturing instinct. Mandatory seatbelt laws and sin taxes on nicotine and alcohol would have been considered silly 50 years ago.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:52 am

Hmm.. I almost disagree, but I think you could be right if you consider the rise of women's influence in general or at least in independence from their husbands... particulalry at home.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:52 am

My reasoning is fairly straightforward. Men and women are fundamentally different with respect to how they perceive and analyze the world. The influence of women in the political and social spheres has risen sharply over the past 50 years. My suggestion is that this explains, at least in part, the drastic changes we have seen in politics and sociey in such a short period of time. Certainly there is room for disagreement with any of these points. I'm just curious about which one you disagree with.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:13 pm

Advertising focuses on growth markets.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:30 pm

kiryan wrote:Why do I keep seeing ads for women to go back to school? Government wants women to go back to school. Are you a women, finish your degree?

More women are going to college and graduating from college than ever... so why are all these ads for government programs focused on women?

Where are the programs for whitey men?

Not sure. I think you're seeing targetted advertising for some reason... I see a LOT of banner ads (especially on Facebook) hawking programs for "parents" to go back to school.

I've also read that women make better middle managers than men.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:59 pm

I'm questioning the causal relationship between women achieving political office (or higher positions in the work force) and the nanny state. Sure its a nurturing instinct, sure you have MADD and breast cancer awareness and women are the traditional bleeding hearts... but I'd almost think that mass media was more of a factor. Take one terrible situation and broadcast it nation wide and it will do a lot more to change opinions and laws than a women as speaker of the house... You could also argue that men with their "responsibiltiy" to provide and care see the nanny state as a way to idnirectly shirk responsibilities... I don't have to provide child support, welfare.

I'd want to see more that indicates women gaining power is a significant factor in development of the nanny state.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:05 pm

kiryan wrote:You could also argue that men with their "responsibiltiy" to provide and care see the nanny state as a way to idnirectly shirk responsibilities... I don't have to provide child support, welfare.

Pretty sure that in hunter/gatherer societies men would hunt as a team and everything they brought back would be shared by the village. While the women would forage as a team and everything they brought back would be shared by the village.

If anything capitalism is a way to shirk responsibilities because you can do tasks you prefer, and then trade for people to do tasks you dislike. For instance I can pay a cleaning lady to clean my apartment, thus shirking that responsibility.

CEO's are just the best at shirking.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:06 am

Sarvis wrote:
kiryan wrote:You could also argue that men with their "responsibiltiy" to provide and care see the nanny state as a way to idnirectly shirk responsibilities... I don't have to provide child support, welfare.

Pretty sure that in hunter/gatherer societies men would hunt as a team and everything they brought back would be shared by the village. While the women would forage as a team and everything they brought back would be shared by the village.

If anything capitalism is a way to shirk responsibilities because you can do tasks you prefer, and then trade for people to do tasks you dislike. For instance I can pay a cleaning lady to clean my apartment, thus shirking that responsibility.

CEO's are just the best at shirking.

Hunter/gatherer societies die off the face of the earth by the hundreds with drought, disease, or simple lack of food. Furthermore, not all hunter/gatherer societies were entirely tribal, nor did they always share.

Return to “T2 General Discussion Archive”