1 in 4 women raped at college, can this be accurate?

Life, the universe, and everything.
Forum rules
- No personal attacks against players or staff members - please be civil!
- No posting of mature images/links, keep content SFW. If it's NSFW, don't post it on these forums.
kiryan
Sojourner

1 in 4 women raped at college, can this be accurate?

Postby kiryan » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:27 am

http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/college ... 988&page=1

seriously, 1 in 4 women will be raped before they graduate college? Seriously? How the fuk can this be right?

If you have a 25% rate of rape in the USA, maybe its time to seriously rethink segregation, co-ed dorms etc, how great Americans are... This is fucking ridiculous. I expect this kind of statistic in Africa not in a supposedly civilized nation.

I have a hard time believing this... even with date rape
Corth
Sojourner

Re: 1 in 4 women raped at college, can this be accurate?

Postby Corth » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:44 am

I suppose it depends upon how you define rape..
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:13 pm

Rape is sometimes the convenient word to use.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:29 pm

They had signs up at my college with similar statistics... although they termed it "sexual abuse" and not straight "rape."

It's hard to verify the accuracy of this statistic. Sexual abuse is a LOT more common than you might think. I know very few women who don't have at least one story about a guy who "tried to go too far" at some point in their lives. And the situation is way underreported... a lot of women just accept that kind of thing as "part of life" and don't bother telling anyone about it.

There's also no easy solution. It's not like there was ever a time in human history when we were free from sexual assault. Different cultures have different methods of trying to solve the problem. Do you know why Muslim women wear the bur'qa? It's so they don't tempt Muslim men into raping them. Part of fundamentalist Muslim culture is a visual barrier blocking womens' bodies in an attempt to keep the society free of fornication. We (Western culture and Christians in particular) look down on the practice, calling it unjust, backwards, and disrespectful to women. They laugh at the Stupid Americans who let our women share living space with unmarried men and prance around in bikinis and then wonder why rape is such a problem in our culture.

I dunno what the solution is for us. I have a friend who was abused by her daycare provider when she was a baby. Another was attacked outside a bar by a guy who offered to walk her to her car. Still another was abused by her older brother's friend when she was an early teenager. How do you solve for that? Rape is already punished as severely as murder by our justice system, clearly that's not a deterrant. What else do we try?
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:23 pm

There is a pretty big difference between "trying to go too far" and "rape". At least how I understand the terms. If it was against the law to try and get to the next base then most guys would have a criminal record before they reached voting age. So she took your hand off her breast while you were necking in the backseat of mom and pop's car. That pretty much solved the problem without need to resort to the criminal justice system...

The only way 25% of women are being raped is if you use some absurdly broad definition of rape that takes into account much more than the generally agreed upon idea of what rape is: non-consensual sexual intercourse (including intercourse with a minor or anyone else incapable of giving consent). My guess is that drunken flings, consensual though often regretful, are being used to substantiate their conclusion.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:00 pm

Ragorn wrote: And the situation is way underreported... a lot of women just accept that kind of thing as "part of life" and don't bother telling anyone about it.

Corth wrote: My guess is that drunken flings, consensual though often regretful, are being used to substantiate their conclusion.

Right Corth... the converse to Ragorn's argument is that some women will have consensual sex, then report it as rape when they change their minds later and decide they were pressured or under the influence of whatever they drank/smoked that night.

25% does seem high for actual rape though. It would almost have to include other offenses.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:31 pm

Corth wrote:There is a pretty big difference between "trying to go too far" and "rape". At least how I understand the terms. If it was against the law to try and get to the next base then most guys would have a criminal record before they reached voting age. So she took your hand off her breast while you were necking in the backseat of mom and pop's car. That pretty much solved the problem without need to resort to the criminal justice system...

The only way 25% of women are being raped is if you use some absurdly broad definition of rape that takes into account much more than the generally agreed upon idea of what rape is: non-consensual sexual intercourse (including intercourse with a minor or anyone else incapable of giving consent). My guess is that drunken flings, consensual though often regretful, are being used to substantiate their conclusion.[/quote]
Yeah, like I said, I'm not sure what their definition is. 25% of women raped? As in, forced nonconsensual sexual intercourse? No, I don't believe that. But 25% of women being sexually abused by the age of 22... I might buy that. There are a lot of things I'd consider "sexual abuse" that aren't rape.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:53 pm

I might buy 25% by age of 22, this seems to indicate 25% from 18-22... I've heard 4 in 10 women during their lifetime...

Even moderately broad definitions of rape such as Sarvis mentions, consenual -> rape cuz i was drunk, should not result in a statistic this high. If we are going to go around reporting this like that, I'm for changing the law such that drunk chick getting raped = not rape.

There is some anecdotal evidence that rape is a big problem in Muslim societies. It is even more under reported cuz of the stigma and the real implications not limited to killing of the victim. So much for the burqa solving their rape problem.
Adriorn Darkcloak
Sojourner

Postby Adriorn Darkcloak » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:27 pm

Remember all those stories recently about teens being labeled as sex offenders because they sent some nudie pic on their phone or did something with a 16-17 year old...I'm sure you'll find some of these guys lumped into that 25% statistic.

Corth, isn't there something in the books about rape not actually being called that? Just labeled as sexual abuse or offense? Something along those lines. I'm sure that's part of the retardation with that statistic.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:56 am

Can't speak for any other state but the crime of "Rape" remains on the books in NY, separate and distinct from other sex crimes such as "Aggravated Sexual Abuse".
Adriorn Darkcloak
Sojourner

Postby Adriorn Darkcloak » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:07 am

Okay, just wondering. Think a lawyer told me once that here in FL it was all different categories of Sexual Abuse. Might have been talking out his ass.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:15 pm

kiryan wrote:There is some anecdotal evidence that rape is a big problem in Muslim societies. It is even more under reported cuz of the stigma and the real implications not limited to killing of the victim. So much for the burqa solving their rape problem.

I don't think you can point to any society or culture in the history of humanity where rape wasn't a serious problem. I'm waiting to see if you're going to claim that Christian societies don't have problems with rape, because I have a laundry list of counterexamples for you to explain if you try that.

Return to “T2 General Discussion Archive”