We can only hope

Life, the universe, and everything.
Forum rules
- No personal attacks against players or staff members - please be civil!
- No posting of mature images/links, keep content SFW. If it's NSFW, don't post it on these forums.
kiryan
Sojourner

We can only hope

Postby kiryan » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:06 am

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2010/09/23 ... latestnews

We can only hope that someday we'll be as culturally and racially sensitive enough as the English to label toddlers racist.

Something to look forward too.
kiryan
Sojourner

Re: We can only hope

Postby kiryan » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 am

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39336760/ns ... _parenting

and apparently parents should stop discriminating against their obese children. Someone should write a law to write this wrong.

Thou shalt not be fat. That ought to do it.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:07 pm

I love reporting on neighbor's children. Especially when you teach them to say it.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:33 pm

kiryan wrote:http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39336760/ns/health-kids_and_parenting

and apparently parents should stop discriminating against their obese children. Someone should write a law to write this wrong.

Thou shalt not be fat. That ought to do it.

That article is garbage. "Buy their own car" can mean a ton of things, such as what kind of car, used/new, proof they actually bought it (teenagers lie) etc.

As for parents discriminating against their own children... there may be something to that. I was around 25% BMI when i was in my early teens and my aunt and mom would always talk shit. Didn't really lose weight until I was educated on the proper way to eat. That and I hated exercising back then.

My cousin who is 13 was gaining alot of weight 2 years ago. This time around my family taught him how to eat, didn't encourage him to eat more, gave him less sugary drinks. He's pretty skinny now :)
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:22 pm

The article may not be so much garbage... the natural reaction for most people is that fat people are fat because they are undisciplined and or lazy. Would you reward your lazy kid or your hard working child better? I wouldn't give my lazy child shit except maybe a kick in the ass.

If you read the article it talks about attempting to control for various factors. If they did everything proper and had a large enough sample size, it demonstrates a clear bias.

Regardless, it makes logical sense. I love all my kids, but I'd be more willing to buy my fat kid a bicycle than a car.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:47 pm

kiryan wrote:The article may not be so much garbage... the natural reaction for most people is that fat people are fat because they are undisciplined and or lazy. Would you reward your lazy kid or your hard working child better? I wouldn't give my lazy child shit except maybe a kick in the ass.

If you read the article it talks about attempting to control for various factors. If they did everything proper and had a large enough sample size, it demonstrates a clear bias.

Regardless, it makes logical sense. I love all my kids, but I'd be more willing to buy my fat kid a bicycle than a car.

If you read the article, you would see that the sample size was 397 students in college. It doesn't say which college or give any stats about that college, unemployment in that region, etc.

82/379 students bought their own car, 40% were obese.
297/379 students got help from their family, 18% were obese.

So the numbers are:
Fat + bought own car = 33
Skinny + bought own car = 49
Fat + had help = 53
Skinny + had help = 244

Gender and family income did not explain the relationship between BMI and financial help, nor did whether or not a youngster engaged in risky behavior.

OK so from that data, I could also say if you're skinny you're more likely to be poor too right? Also, gender and family income did not explain the relationship? Those are 2 additional factors and mathematically they do matter. 18% is a small #. If you have gender + family income added, that's 4 different possibilities (male/poor, male/rich, female/poor, female/rich), they must have had a each combination equally have fat + bought own car etc.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:59 pm

There doesn't seem to be enough data and certainly enough quality in the data to draw any conclusions other than this is a stupid 'study.'

One similarly unsupported theory might be that the fat kids parents had to spend more money feeding their children and were less able to help with the car. Ha.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:50 pm

It is a small sample. It could be skewed. Its an interesting study, certainly not a law of nature.

On the other hand controlling for other factors usually involves national statistics that they use to transform the results. They may weight the fat kids who have rich parents lower than fat kids with poor parents because of the broader stats.

Good thing we don't make laws and policies based on one little girl getting run over at the bus stop or one drunk driver killing a promising young student.

Return to “T2 General Discussion Archive”