Marriage equality for all!

Life, the universe, and everything.
Forum rules
- No personal attacks against players or staff members - please be civil!
- No posting of mature images/links, keep content SFW. If it's NSFW, don't post it on these forums.
kiryan
Sojourner

Marriage equality for all!

Postby kiryan » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:13 pm

http://www.okmagazine.com/2010/10/siste ... ot-felons/

http://www.kansascity.com/2010/09/28/22 ... amist.html

These polygamists are just in love, why would you deny these people the same rights of marriage as gays want? Its time to end the discriminatory bigamy / polygamy laws. Should probably eliminate bestiality ones too.

Imagine if it was some gays being investigated / prosecuted for sodomy? or being denied the right to adopt and raise children?
Corth
Sojourner

Re: Marriage equality for all!

Postby Corth » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:58 am

I don't really see the problem with extending marriage to polgamists. Interspecies relationships on the other hand..
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:43 pm

kiryan wrote:These polygamists are just in love, why would you deny these people the same rights of marriage as gays want? Its time to end the discriminatory bigamy / polygamy laws.

I agree. Bigamy and polyamory should be legal.

Oh, I'm sorry, did you expect a different response?

Should probably eliminate bestiality ones too.

Show me a poodle who can give informed consent and I might agree with that too.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:50 pm

kiryan wrote:http://www.okmagazine.com/2010/10/sister-wives-kody-has-taken-his-stance-were-not-felons/

http://www.kansascity.com/2010/09/28/22 ... amist.html

These polygamists are just in love, why would you deny these people the same rights of marriage as gays want? Its time to end the discriminatory bigamy / polygamy laws. Should probably eliminate bestiality ones too.

Imagine if it was some gays being investigated / prosecuted for sodomy? or being denied the right to adopt and raise children?

Interesting question Kiryan. Mormon's by their faith believe in Polygamy. Christians by theirs believe Gay marriage is wrong.

So would you trade allowing Polygamy, in order to respect Mormon belief, for disallowing gay marriage, in order to respect Christian belief?
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:54 pm

I'm not trading anything. I believe in marriage 1 man 1 woman.

However, if gays get marriage, polygamists should too in the interests of equality. I do believe in equality if its going to be enshrined in law, and not the kind where one class of citizens gets special rights promoted by a liberal agenda while another class is left out in the dark because they're religious.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:04 pm

kiryan wrote:I'm not trading anything. I believe in marriage 1 man 1 woman.

So then as a country we don't need to respect religious beliefs. Got it.

You get to deal with Gay marriage then.

And like Rags said, we're ok with polygamy. It's your side that'll never go for it.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:29 pm

kiryan wrote:However, if gays get marriage, polygamists should too in the interests of equality.

Yes, I agree. Still. The "liberal agena" is "equal marriage rights for all" not "equal marriage rights for gays."
Turxx
Sojourner

Postby Turxx » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:08 pm

my only problem with gay marriage is the word marriage, if two people want to declare domestic union or partnership, i really couldnt care less and do not think they should be denied
the only argument i can come up with against polygamy is legal and tax related
christians believe in polygamy as well, many instances in the bible talk of men having many wives and so long as he can afford them, its good
the only christian argument that can be made against polygamy is that man should obey all of mans laws except when they directly contradict gods laws
and i havent done the research to whether god wants man to have many wives or is simply ok if he should choose, if so, then because man has laws against it, christians can argue by their bible its wrong
beastiality becomes a morality issue, and i believe its wrong, i also believe abortion is in most cases wrong, having said that, me forcing my morality onto anyone else is also wrong
an animal is property, i dont kick my dog, but if you kick yours, hes your dog, i dont like it, i dont respect it and i cant say ill watch without saying or doing something, but i dont think the state should get involved
same would then hold true for slipping the dog a bone...
i dont like it, i think its sick, but what you do with or to your dog in the privacy of your home is between you, your dog and your god
in the scale of right and wrong in my head, aborting and unborn child, worse then screwing a goat
but because abortion is largely socially acceptable and goat love is not.... we would look at our brother whom we know screws goats differently then our sister whom we know aborted an inconvenient baby she didnt tell the father she was pregnant with
he would get revulsion while she would likely receive symapthy
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:28 pm

Turxx wrote:my only problem with gay marriage is the word marriage,

The funny thing being that the word "marriage" is ultimately derived from the word for male: http://www.myetymology.com/english/marriage.html

Seems odd that we can't use derivation of a word for "male" to apply to two males living together.

Return to “T2 General Discussion Archive”