outrageous

Life, the universe, and everything.
Forum rules
- No personal attacks against players or staff members - please be civil!
- No posting of mature images/links, keep content SFW. If it's NSFW, don't post it on these forums.
kiryan
Sojourner

outrageous

Postby kiryan » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:39 pm

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2010/10/1 ... latestnews

But, O’Connor was denied the refill because she did not have enough money to pay for the prescription. The medicine cost just over $21, and the couple was short $1.99.

"I had exactly a $20 bill. It came to $21 and change," said O’Connor’s boyfriend, Jack Brown. "I offered him my cell phone, my wallet. I said, ‘I live right around the corner.’ I come in here all the time."

Brown begged the pharmacist to give his girlfriend the inhaler, as she was on the floor wheezing, but the pharmacist would not give in, he said.

====

simply outrageous, Hugo Obama Chavez would never let something like this happen, he'd demand that private busisnesses give away medicine for free or nationalize them!

side note, without tax, I bet he would've had enough money! (assuming you pay sales tax on pharmecuticals I don't know because I try to stay out of states with sales taxes).
and tonights winner in the Toril EQ lottery is demi belt and skull earring!
Sarvis
Sojourner

Re: outrageous

Postby Sarvis » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:54 pm

Frankly, had I been there I would have given him money out of my pocket. But when you advocate the stance that greed is the most important "virtue" this is what you get. Medical practicioners that care more about $2 than about someone's life.
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:06 pm

If she had died, I wonder if he would have been charged with manslaughter. Also, isn't there some oath out there that would have pushed him to give the medicine to use for the time being since it was an emergency.

Think about this. Why didn't he just give them the inhaler in exchange for the $20 and then taken it back once she was OK? I'm sure a few puffs off the inhaler wouldn't have equaled $20...
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:27 pm

Because all he cared about was the money, not the patient. That's the problem. That's the problem with your entire way of thinking.
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
kiryan 2.0
Sojourner

Postby kiryan 2.0 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:42 pm

Man I use to make the weakest names for threads back in the day huh.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:56 pm

NEWS FLASH: the product, the inhaler he was selling did not belong to him. The pharmacist did not have the legal authority to give it away.

additionally, this is undoubtedly a controlled substance since it had to be gotten from a pharmacist. Pharmacist would be risking his licensure and his entire livliehood and possibly his employer's livliehood by dispensing inappropriately.

Lastly, if he had dispensed it and something had happened he would undoutbtedly been sued for failing to follow the rules. The fact that he thought he was doing the right thing does not matter much in the court room.

For example, a number of doctors testified that this guy I read about who performed a tracheotomy undeniably saved a woman's life, if he had not performed the operation at the time he did it she would've died. She did not dispute that she would be dead, but she still sued and won because he was not a medical professional, was not licensed or trained to perform the procedure etc... He did the right thing but the law cares only about the legal thing.

I don't see how you can blame the Pharmacist for doing the legal thing or villify the business.

Also you damn bleeding hearts. Where is the personal responsibiltiy in this story? If you have asthma and a prescription, why don't you have your inhaler? You had time to call a EMT buddy, but you couldn't go out into the street and beg for $2? If I went somewhere without my son's EPI pen (for extreme allergic reations) and he died, someone would put my ass in a sling and offer me 0 sympathy. Here you want to demonize an innoncent 3rd party for the irresponsibility of this couple.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:04 pm

Bullshit. The pharmacist could have, at the very least, reached into his own pocket and lent the couple $2. Then they could have bought the inhaler fully within the rules.

Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:35 am

Bad judgment by the pharmacist. She had a perscription so it wouldn't be like he is dispensing a controlled substance inappropriately. I'm sure the pharmacist hears plenty of sob stories - and at some point you have to draw the line, it's a business. But I'm with Sarvis on this one. It was a medical emergency in progress, and the only thing between life and possible death was $1.99. If I was there I would have pulled a couple bucks out of my pocket. The pharmacist should have too.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:29 am

Are you kidding me? This isn't about greed, $2, or government.

A man died in a VA hospital because they weren't sure if they could help someone if they weren't a veteran. Was that about greed or money or government?

The answer is no. This is stupid, and the only thing that's even more stupid is the wild-ass speculation without the facts by all of you in this thread.
Teflor does. Teflor does not.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:06 pm

Corth wrote:Bad judgment by the pharmacist. She had a perscription so it wouldn't be like he is dispensing a controlled substance inappropriately. I'm sure the pharmacist hears plenty of sob stories - and at some point you have to draw the line, it's a business. But I'm with Sarvis on this one. It was a medical emergency in progress, and the only thing between life and possible death was $1.99. If I was there I would have pulled a couple bucks out of my pocket. The pharmacist should have too.

And at that moment, the grinch's heart grew three times it's normal size...
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:32 am

teflor the ranger wrote:Are you kidding me? This isn't about greed, $2, or government.

A man died in a VA hospital because they weren't sure if they could help someone if they weren't a veteran. Was that about greed or money or government?

The answer is no. This is stupid, and the only thing that's even more stupid is the wild-ass speculation without the facts by all of you in this thread.

So the VA hospital wasn't sure they'd get paid, so they didn't treat the patient. That's not greed how?

teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:19 am

That's not what the VA hospital was concerned about. Please reference the part where I said something about wild-ass speculation without the facts.
Teflor does. Teflor does not.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:40 am

Then present the facts. It's your argument. I call bullshit on the VA hospital not being concerned with money. We're talking about Americans here, after all.

Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:28 pm

[quote="kiryan"simply outrageous, Hugo Obama Chavez would never let something like this happen, he'd demand that private busisnesses give away medicine for free or nationalize them!

side note, without tax, I bet he would've had enough money! (assuming you pay sales tax on pharmecuticals I don't know because I try to stay out of states with sales taxes).[/quote]
This is BULLSHIT.

WHY do we still have medicine in this country? I thought that George Mao Ze-Bush abolished satanism when he brought patriotism back to Amurika!
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:50 pm

thanks for the giggle ragorn.

obama and hugo chavez call plays out of the same playbook.
1. demonize the private sector
2. take demands on businesses to a whole new level of bullying
3. retaliate when business disobeys through media attacks, onerous regulation and theft through taxes

Now compare Bush and Mao.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:22 pm

kiryan wrote:thanks for the giggle ragorn.

obama and hugo chavez call plays out of the same playbook.
1. demonize the private sector
2. take demands on businesses to a whole new level of bullying
3. retaliate when business disobeys through media attacks, onerous regulation and theft through taxes

Now compare Bush and Mao.

Oh, that's easy.

1. Government surveillance of his own citizens
2. Unilaterally initiated offensive military campaigns against the mandate of the UN
3. Persecuted those who criticized his administration as traitors and anti-patriots (the Hundred Flowers Campaign)

I don't even have to resort to hyperbole to make that comparison... nor do I need to make sweeping statements like "demonizing" or "retaliating". Hell, I can point out specific examples for you to reference if you like :)
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.

Return to “T2 General Discussion Archive”