Someone came in the ER today claiming...

Life, the universe, and everything.
Forum rules
- No personal attacks against players or staff members - please be civil!
- No posting of mature images/links, keep content SFW. If it's NSFW, don't post it on these forums.

Are you religious?

Some think of me as extremely religious
11%
I'm pretty religious. I read from the bible outside of my home.
21%
I believe in a higher power/(enter diety(ies) here), but keep to myself.
11%
I don't give a damn either way.
42%
I go out of my way to argue with those who claim miracles/religion.
16%

Total votes: 19
Thilindel
Sojourner

Someone came in the ER today claiming...

Postby Thilindel » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:55 am

...that the average 'decent' person is "highly religious" - all I can say, without getting a debate about religion, is it seems *most* people I know aren't religious at all.

I think it's safe to say, given someone would play a text game, that the players here are fairly open minded, so it'd be nice to know the general opinion of religion outside of this area.

I could make a bad joke and say I'm 'praying' that nobody will start arguing, but that'd just be too predictable!
Grundar tells you 'I took on the entire football team once. The only reason my mom knew later was because I had a runny nose'
Corth
Sojourner

Re: Someone came in the ER today claiming...

Postby Corth » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:49 pm

So far, 'I don't give a damn' is winning in a landslide.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:58 pm

Of course, you're missing his point. Even if no one you know is religious, he's just going to say that no one you know is decent.
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:37 pm

Oh look, the new sewage forum is already leaking.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:51 pm

I find it cute that you included "reading the bible" as one of the options, but neglected to include anything from any other religion on the entire planet.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:14 pm

Can we get Gormal his own forum so that he can't be annoyed by absolutely everything anyone else posts?
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Callarduran
Staff Member - Admin

Postby Callarduran » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:51 pm

I just want to know where the "I live at a seminary and my wife is finishing her senior year for her Masters of Divinity." :)

[admin hat on] I will leave this topic on this forum for the time being. If it gets into heated debate, then it will be moved to the Debate forum, but for now it is fine where it is. [admin hat off]
--There needs to be a word for the irrational desire to reason with the delusional.

Oghma OOC: 'Please use me.'
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:45 pm

What you're neglecting to take into account is that the majority of people that you know well enough to know their honest thoughts on theology are going to be either in, or bordering on, your own views. Of course you're going to have some friends and acquaintances whose views aren't similar to yours, but common experience is what tends to draw people together.

Oddly enough, people who have very strong faith tend to hang around others of very strong faith. It's one reason why they always seem to think they're in the majority and always right because of it ... strength in numbers, and all that. The majority of people I know are pretty mixed, but that could be because I consider myself Agnostic, when I go to service I attend a Unitarian church, and I try to surround myself with people who are diverse and accepting of all faiths.

The average "decent" person follows a set of rules in how they interact with others and function within society. The majority of your rules governing morality are going to be faith-based. There are certainly people out there who understand the concept of a better world built on the golden rule without having religion as their foundation, but they typically develop their standards from a childhood that includes faith-based morality.
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
bawog
Sojourner

Postby bawog » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:31 am

I'm what you call a hardcore athiest arguing with theologists for many years turned religious fanatic of sorts. I don't preach from a curb but I minister to a crack infested neighborhood. Read my Bible twice a day, and in prayer alot. However I surrundmyselfwithdferent types of people.
Lonikiple group-says 'i remember this one time at izans, when nerox said tanks west, and kobob ran 2 west, and spanked the group, you guyz remember that?'

Tiamat shouts 'No, it is you who is fucked!'
Teflor Lyorian
Sojourner

Postby Teflor Lyorian » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:22 pm

Thilindel wrote:...that the average 'decent' person is "highly religious" - all I can say, without getting a debate about religion, is it seems *most* people I know aren't religious at all.

I think it's safe to say, given someone would play a text game, that the players here are fairly open minded, so it'd be nice to know the general opinion of religion outside of this area.

I could make a bad joke and say I'm 'praying' that nobody will start arguing, but that'd just be too predictable!

I disagree that the players are fairly open minded. They do tend, however, to trend away from conservative values - but they appear to be just as ignorant and bigoted as regular people (translation for the rabid horde: the average mudder is like the average person, more or less).
"You see, the devil haunts a hungry man.
If you don’t wanna join him, you got to beat him."
- Kris Kristofferson (To Beat the Devil)
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:08 pm

Faith - you either have it or you don't. Personally, I don't. But people who disparage others who are religious - for being religious - annoy me just as much, if not more, than people who try and hoist their faith upon me.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Teflor Lyorian
Sojourner

Postby Teflor Lyorian » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:48 pm

It's also just as disgusting when people try to force their non-faith on other people.
"You see, the devil haunts a hungry man.
If you don’t wanna join him, you got to beat him."
- Kris Kristofferson (To Beat the Devil)

Return to “T2 General Discussion Archive”