- TorilMUD's Icon Bidding Announcement -

News Updates from the Toril Staff.
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:02 pm

I spent more than $4000 on Amazon in the past two months. I had been following this thread for the first month of that, then gave up and stopped checking the board for a while. Ah well.
-Todrael Azz'miala, Ravager
Get Toril Guides and Maps at Todrael's Lair
Get Item Stats at TorilEQ
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:30 pm

Todrael wrote:I spent more than $4000 on Amazon in the past two months. I had been following this thread for the first month of that, then gave up and stopped checking the board for a while. Ah well.

Can I borrow some money? :)

Zold
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:19 pm

Hrmm.. $4,000 at 6% translates into $240 in lost revenue for the mud. Keep that in mind next time the gods ask you to donate for a cmud icon...

idiotic...
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:52 pm

Raising the money and purchasing the cMUD icon was a great success for the MUD, and there is no reason to come in here and crap all over it. Yes, an Amazon affiliate setup would be nice - and I will implement it, as soon as I have the time to do it right. Because as you saw, setting up the account and throwing up a plain link isn't very effective.
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:38 pm

It is perfectly effective. Anyone who clicked on the link while i left it up would have been making money for the mud. If you had set up a link in the same manner, you would have had $240 from Todrael alone. And it took all of 5 minutes. I guess 5 minutes isn't worth $240 for the mud.....

All you need to do shev is set up a stupid link and mention it in the login to the mud. When you want to make it look nicer, and you have the time, do it...
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:07 am

i didn't even see this thread b/c of all the stickies above it.
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:53 pm

Corth wrote:It is perfectly effective.

Yes, it's so effective you didn't get one single purchase through your link. :roll:
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:36 pm

Sarvis wrote:Give it time. I don't need anything right now, but might have used the link next time I got around to buying something.

Sarvis wrote:Yes, it's so effective you didn't get one single purchase through your link. :roll:

So is that first message repudiated or are you just trying to act like a dick now?

I wouldn't have used that link if another player put it up. It was not sanctioned by the mud. I put it up more as a demonstration on how easy it is to do it. If you doubt the effectiveness of the idea, go look at Todrael's post a few messages up.

Keep in mind also that I requested shev put that link into the mud's login, which was not done. If the idea was given any support and was sanctioned by the administration, it would have made money.. simple as that.

Goddamned slippery mage.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:45 pm

FYI, I forgot to mention. Bought a $350 camcorder on Amazon last week. $21 not going to the mud.

Goddamned slippery mage.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:45 pm

Corth wrote:
Sarvis wrote:Give it time. I don't need anything right now, but might have used the link next time I got around to buying something.

Sarvis wrote:Yes, it's so effective you didn't get one single purchase through your link. :roll:

So is that first message repudiated or are you just trying to act like a dick now?

Ah, I see... my saying I might have bought something in the future CLEARLY repudiates the fact that no one actually purchased anything while the link was up.

And you're a <i>lawyer</i>?

Clearly there is more work to be done than just setting up a link. I know you think everything will just magically work once the link is mentioned in the MUD's login screen (which no one actually reads) but I'm betting Shev wants to take time to do it right.

Also, it may not take a lot of time... but Shev doesn't _have_ a lot of free time either. You clearly have far too much time on your hands, since all you do is sit around and bitch about the mud lately, so maybe your perspective is a bit off.
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:20 pm

A mere link would have been sufficient to make some $240 or so from Todrael's purchases alone. Apparently, based upon your post from just a couple of weeks ago, you would even be willing to use a mere link. Yet somehow, the idea is not 'effective'.

Shev posted a while back that he has created an account already. To log in and create a link is just a few minutes. If 5 minutes results in $240 from Todrael, its the equivalent of $2,880 per hour. Not a bad return on the time spent. And if he wants to do it up nicely in the future, theres nothing stopping him.

Yeah I bitch about the mud.. and its difficult for me to run out of material with these guys running it.

I'll let you have the final word.

Goddamned slippery mage.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:50 pm

Corth wrote:A mere link would have been sufficient to make some $240 or so from Todrael's purchases alone. Apparently, based upon your post from just a couple of weeks ago, you would even be willing to use a mere link. Yet somehow, the idea is not 'effective'.

Shev posted a while back that he has created an account already. To log in and create a link is just a few minutes. If 5 minutes results in $240 from Todrael, its the equivalent of $2,880 per hour. Not a bad return on the time spent. And if he wants to do it up nicely in the future, theres nothing stopping him.

Yeah I bitch about the mud.. and its difficult for me to run out of material with these guys running it.

I'll let you have the final word.

If Shev set about fixing every single thing you whined about, he'd never an extra 5 minutes to set up a link.

Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:28 pm

Good job on the final word. :)

Goddamned slippery mage.
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:11 pm

Don't need to be mean about it, Corth. It's Shev's decision, and all that needs to be said has already been said (and then some).
-Todrael Azz'miala, Ravager
Get Toril Guides and Maps at Todrael's Lair
Get Item Stats at TorilEQ
Xisiqomelir
Sojourner

Postby Xisiqomelir » Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:29 am

So, umm, not to prod or anything since you must be busy with the new baby (gratz btw!), but are you going to set up the Amazon link any time soon (within a week or so), Shevy? I'm about to drop a moderate amount on a PS3+games+Blu-Ray movies in time for the T5:DR release, but I could hold off for a little while if the link is coming soon.
Thus spake Shevarash: "Invokers are not going to be removed"

Gura: ..btw, being a dick is my god given right as an evil.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:02 am

Za-zing.

You find those 5 minutes yet, Shev?
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Nurpy Fuzzyfeet
Sojourner

Re: - TorilMUD's Icon Bidding Announcement -

Postby Nurpy Fuzzyfeet » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:33 pm

5 minutes? huh?

I'm losing faith.
Aristan group-says 'nurpy=tripod'

Shevarash GCC: 'Tiamat stands here, fighting Nurpy.'

Return to “T2 Announcements Archive”