New Alignment Changes

News Updates from the Toril Staff.
Eilistraee
Staff Member - Quests

New Alignment Changes

Postby Eilistraee » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:44 am

The D20 alignment system, and that utilized by the Toril 2.0 system, is due for implementation within a matter of days. My current projected launch date is Tuesday April 22nd. This will result in several changes, both immediate and potential.

1) Alignment will be set. There will be means put into place to allow for shifts along the axis, but they will no longer be accomplished by repetitively annihilating large masses of orcs or small fuzzy animals.

2) Companion to above, regular play will not impact your alignments. There will no longer be any need for druids to regularly 'maintain' their alignment.

3) The inclusion of the Lawful/Neutral/Chaotic axis will allow for the development of items and behaviours that interact with that axis, rather than the straight good/neutral/evil dynamic we have currently.

When this option becomes available, you will be given the option upon first logging in of modifying your alignment. You must make the selection right then, gameplay will not be possible until you have chosen. Racial alignment predisposition will be enforced, except in cases where you have already 'bucked the trend'. A neutral elf, will be allowed to choose from the neutral axis of alignments.

The different alignments are detailed in the current helpfile: alignment_new. Once this change has been implemented, help alignment itself will adopt this file. In order to avoid delaying your entry into the game after the code goes live, I recommend reviewing this helpfile if alignment has any interest to you.

This choice, once made, is set. There will be, in the future, the ability put in for alignment to be changed, but the ranger/dire raider skill trap is *Coming Soon* as well. Do not rely on that eventual plan, choose your alignment with care.

Paladins will not have to make an alignment choice. They are Lawful Good.

I welcome any questions you may have on this upcoming change.
Eilistraee
Nilan
Sojourner

Re: New Alignment Changes

Postby Nilan » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:22 am

This looks very fun. I can't wait to choose!

Nilan
aka
Stabby
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:05 am

Please don't make sure areas doesn't make another efhr trend.
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:57 am

Are antis set automatically as lawful evil?
Pril
Sojourner

Postby Pril » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:48 pm

my paladin is more of a chaotic good.

is there a way we can negotiate on this? :p
The best of WTF statments of '06
--------------------------------------------------------
Danila group-says 'afk, machine gun in backyard started shooting cats'
Danila group-says 'afk a sec, 3 horned monkeys trying to steal hose'
Danila group-says 'afk, koala bear trying to mount my car'
amena wolfsnarl
Sojourner

Postby amena wolfsnarl » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:56 pm

My question is about those items that are !Evil and !Good what does that encompass in this? Is Lawful Evil considered Evil or is it on the Good side of the spectrum. If u could maybe mention something about this before we have to pick for our characters that would be great.

Thanks
Dugmaren tells you 'Welcome to Canada, don't blame us if you're stupid enough to get eaten by the wild life'
Eilistraee
Staff Member - Quests

Postby Eilistraee » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:18 pm

Alignment restricted items will still adhere to the Good/Neutral/Evil axis of alignment. Ultimately we will be able to have Lawful or Chaotic restricted flags as well, but none of those are present yet.

Anti-Paladins are forced to an evil axis, but can freely choose between the three options available.

Pril, your paladin is chaotic only in one is never quite sure how he'll manage to die in some silly fashion next.

I'm unaware of any pending efhr trends, but there are only two sources of procs on this MUD currently and I don't believe either of them is inclined to go in that direction.
Last edited by Eilistraee on Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eilistraee
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:00 pm

Eilistraee wrote:I'm unaware of any pending efhr trends, but there are only two sources of procs on this MUD currently and I don't believe either of them is inclined to go in that direction.

I hope one of those proc sources isn't the same source that produced the original efhr trend... *blink*
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:41 pm

Yea dude Shevarash is back.

Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Eilistraee
Staff Member - Quests

Postby Eilistraee » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:11 pm

I'm well aware of that. But times and mindsets change. Perhaps I would have been better to have clarified that neither he nor I seem to be currently inclined towards the 'efhr' phenomenon.
Eilistraee
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:21 pm

Any reason why I shouldn't be Lawful Neutral on all my characters? I'd imagine Neutral = no holy/unholy word. Lawful b/c i like civilizations.

Raiwen
Sojourner

Postby Raiwen » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:59 pm

Dalar wrote:Any reason why I shouldn't be Lawful Neutral on all my characters? I'd imagine Neutral = no holy/unholy word. Lawful b/c i like civilizations.

Yeah. YM likes it pretty chaotic.. if you know what I mean.

But game-wise, outside RP, any alignment is meaningful. The current alignment restrictions on eq will still be enforced from how I read it. That's the sole reason my elf and gnome are evil!

I'm sure once the area makers add lawful-chaotic restrictions to items, we'll all shift to either A) whatever align best fits the gear we *do* have, or if (your) gear is not a factor B) whatever align best ensures our shrug ability vs spells.

Or.. we'll all spontaneously throw our hideous ansi gear in the pond, collect colored ansi sets, toggle RP and sit in VT complaining about not being able to zone.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:14 pm

Eh, I was never a fan of alignment-restricted equipment being as prevalent as it is. An occasional piece here and there, but there really shouldn't be a clear powergaming reason to pick one alignment over another (don't get me started on khanjari). It's cool that alignment runs will be a thing of the past, but the D&D alignment system just doesn't really fit into Toril in any meaningful form. Mostly because there isn't any roleplay inherent in the game... it doesn't matter if your Cleric of Helm is chaotic neutral, because mobs aren't going to question you :P
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Eilistraee
Staff Member - Quests

Postby Eilistraee » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:14 pm

There is an eventual plan to do away with much of the alignment restrictions on gear, and leave it limited to certain things that should be aligned in a certain fashion. That goes beyond the scope of what I was hoping to accomplish with this update, however it is intended for the future.
Eilistraee
Thrand
Sojourner

Postby Thrand » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:32 pm

Hi

I would like to know if I am a neutral elf ranger at the switch over
will I be able to cast spells ?

Nashamal
Eilistraee
Staff Member - Quests

Postby Eilistraee » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:38 pm

There is no intention to change the current race or class alignment requirements with this modification.
Eilistraee
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:46 pm

What about Khanjaris?

Adriorn Darkcloak
Sojourner

Postby Adriorn Darkcloak » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:37 am

Just a suggestion Eili:

Why not give color to the alignment syntax in the attributes page of each character? You can use the colors you have up on 'help alignment'. Would add some color to the att page.
Eilistraee
Staff Member - Quests

Postby Eilistraee » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:52 am

I expect I can do that readily enough Adriorn, good call.
Eilistraee
Lorsalian
Sojourner

Postby Lorsalian » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:38 am

Would it be straight-forward to allow access to the 'info' pages prior to deciding? Just in case a cleric was planning on a particular domain, logged in to check those gods' alignments, but gets forced to choose right at once.
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:19 am

I fully endorse this idea.
Support Your Addiction! Vote for TorilMUD Today!

Top Mud Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=shev

Why Nerox is jealous of me:

Nerox tells you 'man this thing is kicking my ass and i have blisters!'
Nerox tells you 'ok attempting it again put tape on my fingers for easier sliding'
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:36 pm

What about liches going neutral or evil?? I worked pretty damn hard to get my alignment to neutral.

Eilistraee
Staff Member - Quests

Postby Eilistraee » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:22 pm

The logic on liches got bypassed due to a mis-placed bracket. It can be corrected if you hook up with me in game.
Eilistraee
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:43 pm

Eilistraee wrote:The logic on liches got bypassed due to a mis-placed bracket. It can be corrected if you hook up with me in game.

Cool thanks. I knew it was Cofen's fault.

Adriorn Darkcloak
Sojourner

Postby Adriorn Darkcloak » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:11 pm

Eilistraee wrote:I expect I can do that readily enough Adriorn, good call.

Looks cool, thanks Eili.

Return to “T2 Announcements Archive”