Magma

For discussion of all area related issues - stats, new zones, quest issues, etc.
Dugmaren
Staff Member - Areas

Magma

Postby Dugmaren » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:46 am

Whatup Magma? Why you gotta play me like dat?

lets hear it.
Thilindel
Sojourner

Re: Magma

Postby Thilindel » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:03 am

Last fight. . . *gag* Why'd they have to go and light up the room? It took forever as it was in the dark
Grundar tells you 'I took on the entire football team once. The only reason my mom knew later was because I had a runny nose'
grundar
Sojourner

Postby grundar » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:46 am

- leave load rates alone, we do not need everyone's alt with frost bands and magma plates. gotta keep at least some form of challenge in the game.
- remove 1/4th (or whatever fraction is deemed appropriate) of the drakes of all sizes equally to reduce the zone's timespan
Pril
Sojourner

Postby Pril » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:00 pm

I agree the mindless grind of clearing the zone is what's annoying. Although it is fun at the start with the huge chance of roar/lure/spank.
The best of WTF statments of '06
--------------------------------------------------------
Danila group-says 'afk, machine gun in backyard started shooting cats'
Danila group-says 'afk a sec, 3 horned monkeys trying to steal hose'
Danila group-says 'afk, koala bear trying to mount my car'
amena wolfsnarl
Sojourner

Postby amena wolfsnarl » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:41 pm

The last parts drives me nuts 'All you casters sit here while everyone else does runs until your eyes are ready to bleed' hate fights like this myself. but other than that its a great zone with lots of great ways to die :)
Dugmaren tells you 'Welcome to Canada, don't blame us if you're stupid enough to get eaten by the wild life'
Adriorn Darkcloak
Sojourner

Postby Adriorn Darkcloak » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:09 pm

What Grundar said. Either you give the zone some more average items, or you remove 25% of the drakes. 3hrs+ for 3 or 4 items is garbage.
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:02 am

Nthing that the grind needs to be toned down, and I also agree that the final fight is a little on the annoying side with the current strategy of doing runs until one spell lands, then runs until one dies, and rinse/repeat. I'm too tired to think up a creative way to fix the problem, but I'll dwell on it tomorrow.
Botef
Sojourner

Postby Botef » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:29 pm

As much as I dislike the runs till spell lands scenario on the final fight in Magma, I do like the notion that even if your group manages to clear the grid you still have to be be a solid (or lucky) group in order to take down that first drake and pave the way to a win. I thought the last fight was pretty fun, trying to land curse/flux/mantle before making headway. After that first one goes down its pretty easy. I'd agree with the other sentiments here, get rid of 25% of the grind to clear grid and leave final fight as is. Anytime you put a repetitive set of grid fights that takes that long to finish your doomed. Jot invasion is another example of that.
Sunamit group-says 'imrex west, tibek backstab touk i think his name is on entry'
// Post Count +1
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:25 am

Maybe another mob type or two might add some variety as well. Magma easily has the smallest number of vnums for mobs around, and it will still feel like an endless grind even if the grid is thinned out. Some squads with interesting mobs, whatever...

Also, remove fireshield on the grid drakes please.
amena wolfsnarl
Sojourner

Postby amena wolfsnarl » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:27 am

"...trying to land curse/flux/mantle before making headway"

Its all about the hexXx!
Dugmaren tells you 'Welcome to Canada, don't blame us if you're stupid enough to get eaten by the wild life'
Klandal
Sojourner

Postby Klandal » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:32 am

Magma entry is one of the best parts of doing it. I'd prefer keeping the zone top end in difficulty and reward. If you're going to thin out the number of mobs you'd need to shrink the grid to keep the entry feeling similar. I wouldn't be opposed to different types of mobs, but that could be said for most of the planes currently. Dresk'akla fight was already lowered quite a bit to lessen the time at end. It's much more doable now.

The problem is balancing vesus Tiamat. If that spoogefest of a zone weren't in, people might not think Magma is not "up-to-par" compared to the rest of the zones. Magma has only a handful of rewards, but at least those rewards are controllable by quests (unlike SPOB Nern stupidity). Considering Magma is nearly as long as Tiamat but just takes 15 instead of 30 people, the rewards should be on par but fewer than Tiamat. Procs on the items in addition to the sweet stats might be appropriate.

Unfortunately with Tiamat yielding SO many freaking items, several people have numerous slots of insane stat items with badass called procs already. It would have been nice to spread the love a little more but that seems pretty hard with Tiamat in and other gear paling in comparison. Ideally I wouldn't downgrade the difficulty/time of Magma, but the balance with Tiamat in the game makes it hard unless you're going to add procs to the items or de-rarify the rares.
Ivac ASSOC:: 'man, i'd love to be a woman'
Ivac ASSOC:: 'multiple orgasms'
flib
Sojourner

Postby flib » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:11 am

Botef wrote:As much as I dislike the runs till spell lands scenario on the final fight in Magma, I do like the notion that even if your group manages to clear the grid you still have to be be a solid (or lucky) group in order to take down that first drake and pave the way to a win. I thought the last fight was pretty fun, trying to land curse/flux/mantle before making headway. After that first one goes down its pretty easy. I'd agree with the other sentiments here, get rid of 25% of the grind to clear grid and leave final fight as is. Anytime you put a repetitive set of grid fights that takes that long to finish your doomed. Jot invasion is another example of that.

it's really not fun when it's 5 am and you've been on this dumb fight for going on 5 hours and have to quit because it's just taking too frigging long.. that's my only experience with magma.. and that was near the time all the dragon tweaks got put in. The issue was we just couldnt kill it.. so we'd just keep tryin over and over.. wipe wipe.. res res.. all night, after a certain amount of time stuff just isn't worth the effort. It might be different now, but screw that place.

Return to “T2 Areas Discussion Archive”