The Ideological Animal

Minimum moderation and heated debates.
Sarvis
Sojourner

The Ideological Animal

Postby Sarvis » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:27 pm

http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles ... cal-animal

Thought this was pretty interesting, and makes a whole lot of sense when you think about it. Short version, people tend to have more conservative viewpoints when they are afraid. Also people who are more conservative tend to be insecure.

The thing that gets me is, conservatives are the ones who believe in "personal responsiblity" and that people who get ahead worked harder... but they actually tend to be less self-reliant than Liberals according to this article. It comes down to a need to believe that the world is fair and that hard work is rewarded. Liberals, however, are more comfortable with the possibility that the world isn't fair.
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Adriorn Darkcloak
Sojourner

Re: The Ideological Animal

Postby Adriorn Darkcloak » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:10 pm

While some things in the study might be telling, things like this pretty much destroy its "scientific" foundations:

"The study's authors also concluded that conservatives have less tolerance for ambiguity, a trait they say is exemplified when George Bush says things like, "Look, my job isn't to try to nuance. My job is to tell people what I think," and "I'm the decider." Those who think the world is highly dangerous and those with the greatest fear of death are the most likely to be conservative.

Liberals, on the other hand, are "more likely to see gray areas and reconcile seemingly conflicting information," says Jost. As a result, liberals like John Kerry, who see many sides to every issue, are portrayed as flip-floppers."

Also, Sarvis, as someone who has a Psych degree, Psychology Today is frequently compared to People magazine. I'd shoot for actual Journals for more "scientific" studies.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:30 pm

Adriorn Darkcloak wrote:While some things in the study might be telling, things like this pretty much destroy its "scientific" foundations:

Why does providing easily recognizable destroy the study's foundation, exactly?

Also, Sarvis, as someone who has a Psych degree, Psychology Today is frequently compared to People magazine. I'd shoot for actual Journals for more "scientific" studies.

Just an article I ran across and thought was interesting.

Do you feel anything it says is wrong? I know you don't like a reference to Kerry, or Psych Today as a source... but do you have any evidence the article itself is wrong?
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Adriorn Darkcloak
Sojourner

Postby Adriorn Darkcloak » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:47 am

Sarvis wrote:Do you feel anything it says is wrong? I know you don't like a reference to Kerry, or Psych Today as a source... but do you have any evidence the article itself is wrong?

Yup. From a psychologist too!

And please remember my first sentence: "While some things in the study might be telling, things like this pretty much destroy its "scientific" foundations..."
Teflor Lyorian
Sojourner

Postby Teflor Lyorian » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:22 am

Sarvis wrote:Do you feel anything it says is wrong? I know you don't like a reference to Kerry, or Psych Today as a source... but do you have any evidence the article itself is wrong?

You don't have any evidence that the article itself is correct. Hell, you and everybody else don't even have a good idea of how the writers defined 'conservative.' I advocate liberty, which makes me more of a liberal than most of the people on these forums. Corth is perhaps the most liberal of us all.

The people only have power when the government can't force them not to.
"You see, the devil haunts a hungry man.
If you don’t wanna join him, you got to beat him."
- Kris Kristofferson (To Beat the Devil)
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:19 am

It's about "Conservatives," not "Trolls."

Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:41 am

I do buy into the idea that conservatives tend to see the world more in terms of extremes than liberals. That passes the sniff test, and I've heard it supported elsewhere. As for Psychology Today... yeah, you can buy that shit in line at the grocery store.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Teflor Lyorian
Sojourner

Postby Teflor Lyorian » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:07 pm

Ragorn wrote:I do buy into the idea that conservatives tend to see the world more in terms of extremes than liberals. That passes the sniff test, and I've heard it supported elsewhere. As for Psychology Today... yeah, you can buy that shit in line at the grocery store.

So the signs about conservatives being Nazis and homophobes...? Sniff test?
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:05 pm

Teflor Lyorian wrote:
Ragorn wrote:I do buy into the idea that conservatives tend to see the world more in terms of extremes than liberals. That passes the sniff test, and I've heard it supported elsewhere. As for Psychology Today... yeah, you can buy that shit in line at the grocery store.

So the signs about conservatives being Nazis and homophobes...? Sniff test?

Why do conservatives oppose gay rights? Because God told them to. Black and white, no wiggle room for grey areas.

Sniff test.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Teflor Lyorian
Sojourner

Postby Teflor Lyorian » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:41 pm

Ragorn wrote:Why do conservatives oppose gay rights? Because God told them to.

Two false assumptions. A majority of registered Republicans have been polled as supporting gay rights. Not all conservatives are even christian, let alone religious, even ignoring the varying levels of ascription to faith.

Ragorn wrote:Black and white, no wiggle room for grey areas. Sniff test.

How many conservatives think the way you are painting them? Percentage? I think you are either brushing over a large gradient with a kindergarden paint brush, unless you believe it, in which case I think you're being rather bigoted. It's your generalization of 'conservatives' that fails my sniff test.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:04 pm

Liberalism is a gene abnormality, this thread is over.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/10/ ... -politics/

This was very interesting from the above article.

"The researchers reported that "it is the crucial interaction of two factors -- the genetic predisposition and the environmental condition of having many friends in adolescence -- that is associated with being more liberal."

Which passes the sniff test of urban areas are more liberal than rural areas.

Both sets of research are interesting.

Another thing I find interesting, that we go to great lengths over the past 20 years to teach tolerance diversity open mindedness etc in the public school system. This "education" becomes inherently political when it is able to effectively determine your future political affiliation.

I'm definitely an ardent supporter of rules that are clearly defined and fair.

Return to “Current Events & Politics”