budget puzzle: you fix the US budget

Minimum moderation and heated debates.
Kindi
Sojourner

budget puzzle: you fix the US budget

Postby Kindi » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:04 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2010 ... aphic.html

note that completely filling up the boxes at top just means getting to square 1 where we aren't getting more into debt. actual national debt is $13.5 trillion
Corth
Sojourner

Re: budget puzzle: you fix the US budget

Postby Corth » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:41 pm

The expense and tax categories are gross generalizations. Each expense category, for instance, probably would impact hundreds if not thousands of various government programs and policies. In reality, drastic cuts will be necessary, but on a line item basis. I suppose if nothing else, it kind of illustrates the predicament the country is in. And this is just on the Federal level. A lot of the states are in even worse financial shape.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Teflor Lyorian
Sojourner

Postby Teflor Lyorian » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:16 am

Too bad there's not an option to remove interest payments due to public debt. That would put us in the black.
"You see, the devil haunts a hungry man.
If you don’t wanna join him, you got to beat him."
- Kris Kristofferson (To Beat the Devil)
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:02 am

I suppose if you default on the debt then it doesn't really matter. The United State of Zimbabwe anyone?
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:27 am

There are other "games" like this out there, better ones actually. This one didn't give you a lot of choices and made it relatively easy to solve the budget crisis. I also ended up checking pretty much everything, because there was nothing particularly contentious listed.

This one's halfway decent: http://marketplace.publicradio.org/feat ... dget_hero/

There was a better one I saw on Fark the other day, but can't find it now... :(

I think the big problem with all of these is that they don't take into account the effects of policies on the economy. For instance a stimulus package might increase the revenue if it gets more people working, but that wouldn't be reflected in the simulator...
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:04 am

I basically agree with Sarvis' take on this (gasp!). Very easy to check abstract little boxes. Not so easy if you are doing it in real life and real people are going to be effected.

Goddamned slippery mage.
Teflor Lyorian
Sojourner

Postby Teflor Lyorian » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:06 pm

Corth wrote:I suppose if you default on the debt then it doesn't really matter. The United State of Zimbabwe anyone?

We're already printing more money, Corth. We'll get there.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:41 pm

which is why we have to get back to what government is supposed to be doing, not what we have allowed it to do.

Yes, cuts suck and will affect people who will lose their houses, their way of life and maybe even their life (free/subsidized healthcare) but they are entitled to the opportunity to pursue happiness, not government provided/subsidized happyness.

Millions will probably starve to death and die from preventable conditions if we cut foreign aid by 50%, but that Arkansas politiican had it right, you don't feed strays because they breed. That is just truth. I don't understand how you can feel good about yourself by forcing other people to give up their wealth because you think its a good cause. Government should not be doing this, citizens should.
Teflor Lyorian
Sojourner

Postby Teflor Lyorian » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:00 pm

Furthermore, what foreign aid we give should be structured more to promote the United States of America. People should know who is responsible for the aid, because it's being paid for by taxpayers that are being forced to surrender their wealth.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:51 pm

and as much dollar diplomacy is going on already must stop. we all see how that worked out for taiwan.

Return to “Current Events & Politics”