San Francisco, no longer a liberal bastion

Minimum moderation and heated debates.
kiryan
Sojourner

San Francisco, no longer a liberal bastion

Postby kiryan » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:53 pm

ok so I'm getting ahead of myself... but they elected a chinese mayor and apparently the chinese vote is very important.

http://www.baycitizen.org/politics/stor ... -fin-bill/

This is going to be great if the Chinese can pull off a defeat of a shark fin bill. Gives me hope that San Francisco can be reformed! Can't wait until there are enough chinks there to outvote the liberals LOL

btw shark fin soup is absolutely spectacularly delicious and my kids thought so too!
Sarvis
Sojourner

Re: San Francisco, no longer a liberal bastion

Postby Sarvis » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:56 am

What, exactly, makes you think all Chinese people are conservatives?

I mean, you did note that the guy you're talking about is a democrat right?
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:10 am

Chinks must be conservative Chinese...
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
Teflor Lyorian
Sojourner

Postby Teflor Lyorian » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:58 am

Sarvis wrote:What, exactly, makes you think all Chinese people are conservatives?

Chinese folks living in the United States have a more recent immigrant heritage - they're less adverse to risk. They're better educated on average, have higher incomes, etc.

Thus, they have incentive to protect their wealth, encourage competition, and are more comfortable with less of a government safety net.
"You see, the devil haunts a hungry man.
If you don’t wanna join him, you got to beat him."
- Kris Kristofferson (To Beat the Devil)
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:16 am

Teflor Lyorian wrote:
Sarvis wrote:What, exactly, makes you think all Chinese people are conservatives?

Chinese folks living in the United States have a more recent immigrant heritage - they're less adverse to risk. They're better educated on average, have higher incomes, etc.

Thus, they have incentive to protect their wealth, encourage competition, and are more comfortable with less of a government safety net.

Which may be true, but liberalism is not constrained by pure economic desire -- there is a much more broad social sphere to liberal voting. I would argue that the social concerns usually outweigh the economic. Given the state of the current economy, this could be skewed, but the wealthy are rarely hurt much by a recession.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:30 pm

Well really I'm not trying to say they are conservative just that chinese identity could become more powerful than liberal identity and will no longer be a purist liberal society.

It'll be hillarious if San Francisco can't pass a ban on shark fin soup given how liberal it is.
Teflor Lyorian
Sojourner

Postby Teflor Lyorian » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:34 pm

Kifle wrote:
Teflor Lyorian wrote:

Which may be true, but liberalism is not constrained by pure economic desire -- there is a much more broad social sphere to liberal voting. I would argue that the social concerns usually outweigh the economic. Given the state of the current economy, this could be skewed, but the wealthy are rarely hurt much by a recession.

Definitely, my sister votes to the left of center, but she too is concerned by overreach from extreme 'liberalism.' If things keep going the way they are going with the Democrat party, she may start voting Republican - something that disgusts her, but the factors I discussed about Asian-Americans in general definitely factor in to how she thinks.
"You see, the devil haunts a hungry man.
If you don’t wanna join him, you got to beat him."
- Kris Kristofferson (To Beat the Devil)
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:15 am

Teflor Lyorian wrote:
Kifle wrote:
Teflor Lyorian wrote:

Definitely, my sister votes to the left of center, but she too is concerned by overreach from extreme 'liberalism.' If things keep going the way they are going with the Democrat party, she may start voting Republican - something that disgusts her, but the factors I discussed about Asian-Americans in general definitely factor in to how she thinks.

I'm in the same exact boat. It almost happened with McCain, and if the republicans have a strong ticket next election, I will have a very difficult decision to make.

Return to “Current Events & Politics”