Wisconsin protests, difference in coverage

Minimum moderation and heated debates.
kiryan
Sojourner

Wisconsin protests, difference in coverage

Postby kiryan » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:24 pm

There is a large and growing demonstration against the state of Wyoming over legislation implementing several government union busting actions... I'm not going to get into the details or whether it should or should not pass.

However, as I watch these events unfold... I wonder why there is a difference in coverage and news' tone between the Tea Party rallies and this group of people.

1) Where is the media calling this astroturf (fake grassroots)?
1a) people are being bused in

2) Where is the media calling these people angry racists?
2a) the crowd is predominately white

3) Where is the media zooming in on signs comparing the governor to dictators like Mubarak and Hitler?

4) Where is the media calling these people out for SHOUTING down and disrupting lawfully elected representatives of the people... inside the capitol building itself?

5) Where is the media questioning why teachers are "bringing students" to the rallies... Were the teachers engaging in politicing in the classroom?
5a) Where is the police and the school administrators who are responsible for keeping these children safe? Hundreds or thousands of kids walking out of school? Did the parents authorize this? If i drop my kid off at school, I sure as fuk expect him to be there all day long. Not leaving whenever he feels like it without my permission.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Re: Wisconsin protests, difference in coverage

Postby Sarvis » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:39 pm

kiryan wrote:There is a large and growing demonstration against the state of Wyoming over legislation implementing several government union busting actions... I'm not going to get into the details or whether it should or should not pass.

However, as I watch these events unfold... I wonder why there is a difference in coverage and news' tone between the Tea Party rallies and this group of people.

1) Where is the media calling this astroturf (fake grassroots)?
1a) people are being bused in

2) Where is the media calling these people angry racists?
2a) the crowd is predominately white

3) Where is the media zooming in on signs comparing the governor to dictators like Mubarak and Hitler?

4) Where is the media calling these people out for SHOUTING down and disrupting lawfully elected representatives of the people... inside the capitol building itself?

5) Where is the media questioning why teachers are "bringing students" to the rallies... Were the teachers engaging in politicing in the classroom?
5a) Where is the police and the school administrators who are responsible for keeping these children safe? Hundreds or thousands of kids walking out of school? Did the parents authorize this? If i drop my kid off at school, I sure as fuk expect him to be there all day long. Not leaving whenever he feels like it without my permission.

1) Can't answer this one, have no idea about it

2) The makeup of the crowd doesn't mean anything, what does is whether or not they are shouting racial slurs. (Note: I don't know if the tea party did or not.)

3) Maybe those signs don't exist in this rally?

4) No idea. Did the Tea Party get called on the same behavior, or were they doing things differently?

5) I left school all the time without permission. But that's not important right now. You're making the assumption that permission slips weren't signed... which, if it were the case, would leave the schools open to huge amounts of legal trouble. Therefore I think it's relatively safe to say you made an incorrect assumption.
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:58 pm

3) Maybe those signs don't exist in this rally?

-- the theme of the protestors is that the governor is a dictator. those signs exist in significant numbers.

4) No idea. Did the Tea Party get called on the same behavior, or were they doing things differently?

--You don't remember tea party being villified for their disruptive presence in town hall meetings? The difference here... they are doing it in the state capitol building, they are actually disrupting the lawful business of the legislature... not interrupting a "meet the public" meeting.

5) I left school all the time without permission. But that's not important right now. You're making the assumption that permission slips weren't signed... which, if it were the case, would leave the schools open to huge amounts of legal trouble. Therefore I think it's relatively safe to say you made an incorrect assumption.

-- hmm you may have a point, they closed school so I guess these kids probably didn't walk out of school.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:38 am

There were many instances where factions in the Tea Party used very racist language. In the words they spoke... on their tshirts... on their bumper stickers... The media loves that kind of stuff, so if a group in Wisconsin lets one slur slip, you'll hear it at 10:00.
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
Callarduran
Staff Member - Admin

Postby Callarduran » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:52 am

kiryan wrote:2a) the crowd is predominately white

Have you ever BEEN to Wisconsin? :)
--There needs to be a word for the irrational desire to reason with the delusional.

Oghma OOC: 'Please use me.'
Teflor Lyorian
Sojourner

Postby Teflor Lyorian » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:10 am

It's so white you'd think segregation was still on in the US.
"You see, the devil haunts a hungry man.
If you don’t wanna join him, you got to beat him."
- Kris Kristofferson (To Beat the Devil)
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:34 pm

Yeah, my comment was going to be "is the crowd more predominantly white than the population of Wisconsin... and is such a thing even mathematically possible?"
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:14 pm

Ashiwi wrote:There were many instances where factions in the Tea Party used very racist language. In the words they spoke... on their tshirts... on their bumper stickers... The media loves that kind of stuff, so if a group in Wisconsin lets one slur slip, you'll hear it at 10:00.

Seriously kelly? You actually believe that?

You won't hear it unless Fox reports it... and they will be the ONLY ones who report it... because we all know Democrats and unions support minority interests so it'll be forgiven by the liberal media.

And if you want proof, you should check out the page b20 coverage of a black county commissioner saying "you're all white, go to hell". Then he released a statement the next day defending himself. Then you can turn your eye towards governor brown's wife who called the GOP candidate a whore and got very little coverage and the women's movement forgave him and endorsed him.

quit kidding yourself. there is a double standard if you are republican or conservative or Sarah Palin.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:13 pm

Another one kelly, check out the liberal rally against clarence thomas.

They are quoted, there is audio, saying "send him back to the fields", "string him up"...

Now search google and see what you come up with. BARELY covered. If this had been justice roberts saying something about a black man... had it been a conservative judge saying it about a liberal judge... ALL HELL would break loose. This is a member of the US Supreme Court and racist statements made by liberals at a liberal rally are barely being covered.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:26 pm

[citation needed]
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:54 pm

google it

Return to “Current Events & Politics”