Typical College Students

Minimum moderation and heated debates.
Teflor Lyorian
Sojourner

Typical College Students

Postby Teflor Lyorian » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:08 am

Enough energy to stand out in the cold, skipping class or anything productive to hold signs and serve as tools to help manufacture fake anger, not enough energy to request an absentee ballot, fill it out, and mail it back.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 02662.html

By the way, an interesting example of taking quotes out of context. The writer goes particularly far to find an unrelated quote that conveys an opinion, spin it to LOOK like a party justification for proposed legislation, and have no shame whatsoever in doing it.

Apparently, college students are being unfairly burdened, just like all the other Americans like our troops serving overseas that have to vote by absentee ballot.
"You see, the devil haunts a hungry man.
If you don’t wanna join him, you got to beat him."
- Kris Kristofferson (To Beat the Devil)
kiryan
Sojourner

Re: Typical College Students

Postby kiryan » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:29 pm

Its a difficult issue...

I support photo ID at time of voting. I support ID being free despite its cost.

I'm generally against restricting same day registration (with proper proof of residency), however I can support them out of the logistical issues and the unfairness of being unable to same day register in a rural location but being able to in a urban setting...

I don't think nonresident students should be able to vote in state and local elections... If a student has established residency, then they should be able to vote. Unfortunately, I don't think residency claims are verified strongly enough so I would support additional scrutiny of residency status.

The claims that students shouldn't vote because they're voting emotion is pure stupidity. everyone votes based on their emotion, some call it "defending the constitution" others call it "social justice". Its emotion and your point of view at teh end of the day. If voting was a rational exercise, we could just appoint a council of philosophers to vote on all elections.
Teflor Lyorian
Sojourner

Postby Teflor Lyorian » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:43 pm

kiryan wrote:The claims that students shouldn't vote because they're voting emotion is pure stupidity.

That is not a claim being made, that was an invented claim by the writer of the article. Read my comments on how this is an example where the writer has taken a quote out of context to manufacture something damaging.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:21 pm

"Voting as a liberal. That's what kids do," he added... Students lack "life experience," and "they just vote their feelings."

New Hampshire House Republicans are pushing for new laws that would prohibit many college students from voting in the state - and effectively keep some from voting at all.

--umm... I'll have to disagree with you. The quote from the article reflects the sentiment of the New Hampshire Republican house leader... and the result of the proposed bill, whether it targets the students or not for legitimate or illegitimate reasons appears to be likely to prevent some of them from voting...

Now obviously this article has a leftist slant so the characterization of the bill may be exaggerated as are the quotes. However, when you say college kids vote their feeling, you're saying they aren't voting rationally ie intelligently. I don't like it. Feels dangerous and misguided. What's next intelligent tests at the polls?

Don't get me wrong, I have some problems with how college kids vote (geographically), but I find it distasteful to suggest college kids' votes are in any way shape or form inferior to that of another group.
Teflor Lyorian
Sojourner

Postby Teflor Lyorian » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:26 pm

kiryan wrote:"Voting as a liberal. That's what kids do," he added... Students lack "life experience," and "they just vote their feelings."

New Hampshire House Republicans are pushing for new laws that would prohibit many college students from voting in the state - and effectively keep some from voting at all.

--umm... I'll have to disagree with you. The quote from the article reflects the sentiment of the New Hampshire Republican house leader... and the result of the proposed bill, whether it targets the students or not for legitimate or illegitimate reasons appears to be likely to prevent some of them from voting...

Now obviously this article has a leftist slant so the characterization of the bill may be exaggerated as are the quotes. However, when you say college kids vote their feeling, you're saying they aren't voting rationally ie intelligently. I don't like it. Feels dangerous and misguided. What's next intelligent tests at the polls?

Don't get me wrong, I have some problems with how college kids vote (geographically), but I find it distasteful to suggest college kids' votes are in any way shape or form inferior to that of another group.

Nothing in that quote indicates that the representative wants to disenfranchise student voters. He's airing an opinion during a speech about the effects of student voting that's being quoted out of context - blatantly. NOTHING about what he says indicates that he either does not value the right to vote, or that he thinks that students should not vote. You've probably fallen for the writer's blatant trap to cause people to make assumptions and connections that DO NOT EXIST.

I have the SAME opinion on the student vote while also full respect for AND sworn duty to defend the right of any citizen in good standing with the United States of America to vote in every/any local/state/federal election. NOTHING in the quote could logically lead you to believe otherwise.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:46 pm

… I watched the video. Only a small segment about 2 minutes of the video is where these quotes are taken from, starting at about minute 9. and while you are technically correct, his statements do not mean that he wants to take way student’s right to vote… he talks about stopping voter fraud, then specifically mentions students showing up to vote with out of state plates and a city/county with 1100 registered voters having 900 same day registrations (students). To top it off, he makes comments about how students vote… on emotion (like he did when he was young)… without life experiences…

I’m sorry I can’t refuse the obvious connection here. Students are out voting the residents and they don’t vote smart to boot so no big loss. I don't believe that he want's to take away the right of all students to vote, but he shouldn't be denigrating the student vote in his support for taking away non resident student's voting rights...

I agree with him and you that the students who are not residents shouldn’t be voting in their local elections (or running apparently a Montana resident, student won a local election in new hampshire). However, I reject the implication that student votes are of less value than those of people with more life experiences and less based on rational thought and more based on emotion.

That’s almost as good as Sotomayer’s A wise latina will come to a better decision than a white male who doesn’t have her same life experiences…. bullshit.
Teflor Lyorian
Sojourner

Postby Teflor Lyorian » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:23 am

Nothing in what he says implies that the vote is of less value. He only speaks about the student vote. Absolutely nothing says that he thinks any more highly of other stupid people's votes.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:50 pm

I guess we'll have to disagree.

I can't look upon his statements as innocuous when they are in the middle of a discussion about placing new restrictions on voting. accurate or not, necessary restrictions or not.
Teflor Lyorian
Sojourner

Postby Teflor Lyorian » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:32 pm

Were they really restrictions? Simply placing their votes with their permanent addresses?

I mean, if a US serviceperson is served by the absentee ballot, then a _college_ student should be able to figure it out every bit as well.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:20 pm

the proposed items are restrictions compared to present day... its hard to hear the video, but it claims an elimination of election day registration... again, not sure, but state issued photo ID would be a restriction... more stringent residency standard for eligibility. good ones mind you, but certainly restrictive compared to the present state.

its unclear to me whether the current situation is a case of unenforced law or rather an issue of too broadly defined eligibility to vote... for example, a montana student won an elected position... how do you get on the ballot not being a resident? Probably she'll claim to have residency in NH... but can we call a student from montana who goes to school in NH who goes home to MT for the summers and christmas... what they actually are? A montana resident getting in state tuition in NH.

What the article doesn't mention is that basically he is advocating that the state tie voting elegibility to a more stringent (but existing) definition of residency... The 900 same day registrations for a town with 1100 registered voters was especially ridiculous.

I've personally dealt with "residency" in Montana. Its stringent. I moved here for a job, so I can claim residency because I moved here for a job. My wife moved here and she was not a resident... she was granted a "waiver" at college however.

The only "action" she has taken (and it requires deliberate action not just living here or intent or anything else) to establish residency in MT was changing her driver license and registering a car. Still... to this day, 2 years later, she would not be a resident if she hadn't taken those steps. Oh and you lose residency if you take any "inconsistent" action within the first year... not a clear action, an inconsistent action... like say renewing the registration on a car licensed in Oregon would be inconsistent... or writing an oregon congressman claiming to be his constitutent... etc...

Return to “Current Events & Politics”