fake trees? C02 to O2?

Minimum moderation and heated debates.
kiryan
Sojourner

fake trees? C02 to O2?

Postby kiryan » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:00 pm

http://www.aolnews.com/2011/03/16/need- ... latestnews

Its interesting idea, making fake trees for urban areas. I've thought about this too as population densities increase you could end up with lower levels of oxygen (not that we need much) in cities or underground.

What I find interesting is ... if C02 is a problem... and we can create these "fake" trees to convert C02 to O2... then why can't we do this on a massive scale? Either this idea is half baked and doesn't work or there is no reason to regulate C02.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Re: fake trees? C02 to O2?

Postby Sarvis » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:37 pm

What do you mean massive scale? Real trees are already doing this on a massive scale... adding fake trees to cities that would otherwise have nothing seems like it could help, considering in most places there would have ONLY been trees there before.
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
kiryan
Sojourner

Re: fake trees? C02 to O2?

Postby kiryan » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:11 pm

IF they can make a fake tree as displayed in the picture... that could have any significant affect on O2 levels in the immediate vicinity (let alone say the entire block)... then they should be able to do this on a massive scale... an engineering solution to part of the so called man made global warming problem.

Say for example have a O2 power plant somewhere over the ocean (maybe ship based units) or in a remote location like the poles or on top of a mountain... converting CO2 to O2 at a rate of billions of pounds a year...

Personally, the technology is probably no where near practical. Probably one of those things that gets a lot of good press, a city spends a million dollars on fake trees in the name of some social cause... but really have no actual physical affect on the surroundings despite technically coverting maybe a pound of c02 into a pound of 02 a month.

but seriously, I'd consider supporting higher taxes to build a plant that could effectively convert C02 to O2... even significantly higher taxes... even with the current dubious claims on global climate change. I could live with that, but you're not going to get me to pay brazil not to cut down the rain forest or for farmers to not raise cows.

Return to “Current Events & Politics”