Financial martial law

Minimum moderation and heated debates.
kiryan
Sojourner

Financial martial law

Postby kiryan » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:32 pm

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0311/51396.html

Basically allows the states to step in and delcare a financial emergency for cities and school districts (not sure why not counties, may have a larger scope than reported). Under financial martial law, they can basically bust the union contracts.

They already had the emergency financial management authority, this appears just to give them expanded powers... specifically contract breaking powers.

Now I don't know how to feel about this. giving the state more power... would I support this if the fed's passed a similar law? fuk no. if they can have the power to break contracts to tackle financial problems, why not also the power to raise taxes without a vote?

No this feels dangerous.. despite its focus on public union busting in the short term.
Teflor Lyorian
Sojourner

Re: Financial martial law

Postby Teflor Lyorian » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:04 pm

Yeah, they should have put the consent of the city or local school district in there.
"You see, the devil haunts a hungry man.
If you don’t wanna join him, you got to beat him."
- Kris Kristofferson (To Beat the Devil)
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:09 pm

I don't think that would make any sense to get the consent of the people who got themselves into the predicament in the first place... they've already shown an institutional inability to govern their finances...

If you reserve the right to step in... do you wait for a complete break down? or do you step in when you can unquestionably see that the path leads to ruin? I'd say you step in earlier (although I disagree with the whole notion).
Teflor Lyorian
Sojourner

Postby Teflor Lyorian » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:37 am

I'd wait for a breakdown. Local governments are relatively isolated.
"You see, the devil haunts a hungry man.
If you don’t wanna join him, you got to beat him."
- Kris Kristofferson (To Beat the Devil)

Return to “Current Events & Politics”