Twilight, story of an abusive boyfriend?

Minimum moderation and heated debates.
kiryan
Sojourner

Twilight, story of an abusive boyfriend?

Postby kiryan » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:53 pm

Article is ostensibly about Jane Austin vs Jane Eyre which you probably will have no interest in, but about 3/4 way through the author makes a statement that was bold and upon inspection at least marginally accurate about the Twilight series.

"the vampire Edward Cullen is a borderline abusive boyfriend"

In some senses, Edward is an abusive misogynistic controlling boyfriend. its pretty clear who's in charge in the relationship despite some headstrong actions by the heroine Bella. There are definitely conflicts in the story that are basically a result of Bella "acting out" against Edward's control. They aren't couched as conflict, and Edward has a great I love you THAT much excuse, but essentially if he had listened better or treated her as an emotional equal instead of a princess he keeps on a pedestal he protects, they could've avoided many of the problems they faced.

Its very strange to me to see that pointed out then think about the droves of tweens and their mom's who made Twilight the craze that it is. Personally, I believe feminimism teaches women something they know is wrong, that everything should be a 50/50, and this would seem to say that woman at least fantasize about having a strong, misogynistic man who will protect them like a princess.

Laurel's happier that way, and I'm not nearly as nice as Edward, and at least some of that I attribute to her recognizing that she is happier without the responsibility that I shoulder. Anyhow I just felt like pushing my male agenda and talking about Twilight! Democrats suck, conservatives rule!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle ... story.html

More modernly, Jane Eyre is “Twilight.” The women who think it is sooo sexy that the vampire Edward Cullen is a borderline abusive boyfriend are the same women who will discover that borderline abusive boyfriends have been sooo sexy for 160 years.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Re: Twilight, story of an abusive boyfriend?

Postby Ashiwi » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:51 am

Women buy into the stuff that isn't good for them. What's new? Every time I hear a woman singing "Crazy Bitch" like it's a theme song, it boggles my mind.

Edward was controlling and treated Bella like a precious object instead of a human being with her own mind, but Bella was stupid and neurotic, incapable of being her own person without Edward. Loved the stories; couldn't stand the characters.
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:20 pm

This is in no way news. People have been pointing out Edward's abusiveness pretty much since Twilight became popular.

For instance: http://io9.com/#!5413428/official-twili ... lationship
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:22 pm

- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:10 pm

Thank you both those were hillarious.

especially if your a dude who likes twilight you're gay as in testicle to testicle with a fist full of chest hair.

wow i've read the books a couple times, but ive never picked up on the abusive boyfriend thing... but i've also not sat around discussing twilight with other people. course what they call abusive, I just call a proper relationship.
Teflor Lyorian
Sojourner

Postby Teflor Lyorian » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:00 am

My relationship with delicious food is abusive in both directions.
"You see, the devil haunts a hungry man.
If you don’t wanna join him, you got to beat him."
- Kris Kristofferson (To Beat the Devil)

Return to “Current Events & Politics”