Food Sensitivites/ADHD

Minimum moderation and heated debates.
Teflor Lyorian
Sojourner

Food Sensitivites/ADHD

Postby Teflor Lyorian » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:30 pm

"You see, the devil haunts a hungry man.
If you don’t wanna join him, you got to beat him."
- Kris Kristofferson (To Beat the Devil)
Corth
Sojourner

Re: Food Sensitivites/ADHD

Postby Corth » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:12 pm

I was diagnosed with ADHD in my teens. My older son (3 years old) likely had ADHD. I think at some point I grew out of it. ADHD is often characterized primarily by impulsivity - and while I was impulsive as a youth, as an adult I am one of the least impulsive people you will ever meet.

My diet has probably improved quite a bit since I was younger. Fewer sweets and more fruits and veggies. My son has a horrible diet. He just won't eat things that aren't carbs. His diet is basically a pop tart for breakfast, a bagel and cream cheese for lunch, and then either pizza or pasta for dinner. Mix in quite a few snacks between meals - goldfish, cookies, pretzels, etc. Theoretically we could just go ahead and only offer healthy foods - but it would be a very... very difficult situation. The best I can do is get him to lick a piece of fruit - and then he will tell me he doesn't like the way it tastes. I can't even get him to bite down on it. I would love to try and change his diet and see if it helps him, but it would almost be like torture. He would literally go hungry (and be in constant melt-down mode) until he got to the point of starvation I expect.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
kiryan
Sojourner

Re: Food Sensitivites/ADHD

Postby kiryan » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:56 pm

look on the bright side, you only have to fight that battle once!

My 10 yo is undoubtedly ADHD. We talk extensively about respect and responsibility and of course I do not spare the rod. He's pretty under control, but last night he wandered off to get my spanker (I woke him up last night told him to do something and he decided to go back to bed instead) and forgot. big mistake.

Return to “Current Events & Politics”