This city is too white

Minimum moderation and heated debates.
kiryan
Sojourner

This city is too white

Postby kiryan » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:42 pm

http://www.ajc.com/news/lawsuit-seeks-d ... 88729.html

Interesting article... basically some folks are suing the state trying to dissolve cities they say are "too white". Its a bit unclear to me, but it suggests that there may be some "white flight" going on from more racially diverse population centers and the plantiffs contend that the purpose of creating these relatively new cities was to dilute minority power (county is 54% black 33% white), new cities are like 65/20 80/9% etc...

It definitely sounds plausible... if nothing else you certainly are taking tax revenue away as a practical effect (assuming national statistics on income and poverty). Kinda reminds me of the tennessee school district story. The urban school district of nashville I think is dissolving itself which will transfer its responsibility to the county and through elections within a couple years basically give them control over the suburban, well funded, better performing, predominately white school district.

I could definitely see this going against the cities since minorities have special rights. If there was some sort of email proof that the intention was to create white cities, that would definitely seem to point towards some sort of success... maybe not outright dissolution, but perhaps a court ordered expansion of the city boundaries or a transfer of revenue or some sort of other remedy that creates more parity.

My problem with this whole situation is it feels like a freedom of association type deal. I can't even really quantify a legal basis for it, it just feels wrong that you can't find a group of like minded people or similar race people and establish a cooperative (city in this case) to govern yourselves. I certainly don't like the idea that homogenous populations would increasingly do this as this is exactly the problem you have in Europe with their insular immigrant communities that are never integrated (we have the same problems, but Europes blew up in riots over the last few years).

Don't know. Interesting case. I don't have to wonder if it would be different in reverse; how many folks were on their soap box about recreating New Orleans as a "chocolate city". Special rights suck.
Teflor Lyorian
Sojourner

Re: This city is too white

Postby Teflor Lyorian » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:29 pm

Could potentially be a equal opportunity housing issue, re: creating cities for the purpose of isolating a specific racial group.
"You see, the devil haunts a hungry man.
If you don’t wanna join him, you got to beat him."
- Kris Kristofferson (To Beat the Devil)

Return to “Current Events & Politics”