Victory for realism over sensationalism

Minimum moderation and heated debates.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Victory for realism over sensationalism

Postby Ragorn » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:28 am

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110406/ap_ ... v_fox_beck

Goodbye, Glenn. Don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Teflor Lyorian
Sojourner

Re: Victory for realism over sensationalism

Postby Teflor Lyorian » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:47 am

I think you cared more about what he said than I did.
"You see, the devil haunts a hungry man.
If you don’t wanna join him, you got to beat him."
- Kris Kristofferson (To Beat the Devil)
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:24 pm

Ragorn: Your powers are weak, old man.
Beck: You can't win, Ragorn. If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine.

I don't think Beck was "fired" from Fox. As a matter of fact he will continue to work with them and produce additional content. Even if you think that's just saving face move by Fox, and he was forced out... Beck has no need to worry about having an audience. His books are best sellers. His website gets millions of hits a day. He has organized several massive events. He didn't get this done because of Fox, he got this done despite of Fox....

If anything this is Beck stepping out on his own in much the same way Oprah Winfrey started her own media company, her own channel.
Teflor Lyorian
Sojourner

Postby Teflor Lyorian » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:11 am

It was my impression that the show was cancelled for the reason most shows are cancelled. Bad ratings.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:46 pm

kiryan wrote:Ragorn: Your powers are weak, old man.
Beck: You can't win, Ragorn. If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine.

I don't think Beck was "fired" from Fox. As a matter of fact he will continue to work with them and produce additional content. Even if you think that's just saving face move by Fox, and he was forced out... Beck has no need to worry about having an audience. His books are best sellers. His website gets millions of hits a day. He has organized several massive events. He didn't get this done because of Fox, he got this done despite of Fox....

If anything this is Beck stepping out on his own in much the same way Oprah Winfrey started her own media company, her own channel.

Do I detect a little hero worship here?

It explains so much...
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Teflor Lyorian
Sojourner

Postby Teflor Lyorian » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:59 pm

Sarvis wrote:Do I detect a little hero worship here?

It explains so much...

If only all of your posts had so much content.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:25 pm

Beck's ratings have been down... I don't remember the exact figure. 20%? 30%? Something like that over the last six months. In addition, there were several successful boycotts that convinced advertisers to pull funding from his show (and Fox News in general). I doubt he's going to go start his own channel. He'll probably pop up as a "special correspondant" from time to time with O'Reilly or Coulter or the other professional trolls on the network.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:39 pm

Ragorn wrote:Beck's ratings have been down... I don't remember the exact figure. 20%? 30%? Something like that over the last six months. In addition, there were several successful boycotts that convinced advertisers to pull funding from his show (and Fox News in general). I doubt he's going to go start his own channel. He'll probably pop up as a "special correspondant" from time to time with O'Reilly or Coulter or the other professional trolls on the network.

I saw something about this a couple days ago, and apparently he's invested in a couple web sites. Apparently he wants to try new media or something, but the same article also theorized that his only current viewers are old people that won't follow him onto the web.

But who knows... or cares?
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Teflor Lyorian
Sojourner

Postby Teflor Lyorian » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:54 pm

This thread is ironic, really, mostly because it's sensational and has nothing to do with reality. Especially the title.

I can hear all the Fox News haters already: "yay, Glenn Beck is gone so we don't have to write incredibly stupid things without any actual substance about him to try to make him and his network look bad again!" (and can move on to troll someone else)
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:19 pm

I use Glenn Beck as a litmus test. If anyone, Republican or Democrat, takes what he says seriously, THEY are not worth taking seriously. That includes birther tea partiers, and it also includes HuffPo contributors who salivate over the chance to parrot whatever asinine thing he writes on the chalkboard every week.

Glenn Beck is a master at his job, and his job is ratings. It isn't truth, or news reporting, or political commentary. His job is ad revenue, page views, and clickthroughs. And he's the best in the business at it... or was, anyway. He got canned because he didn't deliver the numbers anymore. Ann Coulter isn't as good as Glenn is... her message is just as inflammatory, but she's sort of a militant troll where Glenn was a concern troll.
- Ragorn
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:48 pm

The ratings are down, but he still commands a large viewership. I believe the argument that the show was costing them money due to the ratings decline and boycotts. Not sure if I would group that the same way as being "fired", if Beck wanted to continue, he probably could've accepted a lower salary and stayed on. Its still a large audience even if its not as large as it used to be. The truth is probably somewhere between my position and the articles position.

However as Sarvis echoed, Beck has been pushing new media and independent endeavors. One complaint I heard about a year ago was Fox was getting sick of Glenn constantly promoting his outside endeavors... theblaze.com his 9/12 project his books ect ect ect...
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:03 pm

The other thing I remember from the article was that someone guest hosted his show (or time slot or whatever) and the ratings stayed exactly the same without him. Makes him look less like he's drawing the ratings and more like they could put up a video of paint drying in that time slot and have just as many people watch.

Teflor Lyorian
Sojourner

Postby Teflor Lyorian » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:03 am

Ragorn wrote:I use Glenn Beck as a litmus test. If anyone, Republican or Democrat, takes what he says seriously, THEY are not worth taking seriously.

Even in his prime, Glenn Beck's ratings weren't that high, representing only a very small, lower lower single digits percentage of Republicans. Yet, your railings against the conservatives, Republicans, etc. have me wondering why you wanted to say so much about such a small portion of the population.

Return to “Current Events & Politics”