letting science lead the way

Minimum moderation and heated debates.
kiryan
Sojourner

letting science lead the way

Postby kiryan » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:54 am

president elect of the American college of surgeon's was forced to resign over an article he wrote that basically says women who have unprotected sex are happier.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/18/healt ... l?_r=1&hpw

"The editorial cited research that found that female college students who had had unprotected sex were less depressed than those whose partners used condoms. It speculated that compounds in semen have antidepressant effects."

Dr. Barbara Bass, chairwoman of the department of surgery at Methodist Hospital in Houston and a former regent of the surgery group, the largest professional association for surgeons, said in a telephone interview Sunday that she was glad Dr. Greenfield had resigned, despite his long history of supporting women in the profession.

Dr. Colleen Brophy, a professor of surgery at Vanderbilt University, submitted a letter of resignation from the surgery association during the controversy and said Sunday that she had no intention of reversing herself now that Dr. Greenfield has resigned.

== funny how valid research that suggests an inconvenient narrative has ended this man's career. If it was a woman publishing an article claiming that portrayed men poorly, she'd probably be celebrated. I thought science was supposed to rule the day... or is that only when it supports liberal narratives.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Re: letting science lead the way

Postby Sarvis » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:48 pm

What "liberal narrative" did he fail to support, exactly?

Hell, you think we want everyone to bang every possible second and this research says women who have lots of sex are less depressed so that's certainly in support of what you think we think.
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:19 pm

Liberal professor puts out a paper that challenges traditional conservative views on sex, gets sacked for it.

Such is the world we live in.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Teflor Lyorian
Sojourner

Postby Teflor Lyorian » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:08 pm

Ragorn wrote:Liberal professor puts out a paper that challenges traditional conservative views on sex, gets sacked for it.

Such is the world we live in.

What kind of 'conservative' are you talking about?
"You see, the devil haunts a hungry man.
If you don’t wanna join him, you got to beat him."
- Kris Kristofferson (To Beat the Devil)
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:19 pm

The evil kind.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:45 pm

Sarvis wrote:What "liberal narrative" did he fail to support, exactly?

Hell, you think we want everyone to bang every possible second and this research says women who have lots of sex are less depressed so that's certainly in support of what you think we think.

He's having to quit because he said something "anti woman" which is semen has a positive effect on women's mood so have unprotected sex for valentine's day.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:22 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookou ... d-dolphins

Not quite an issue of science leading the way, but why are our publicly funded scientists being "forbidden" from speaking to the media? Authoritarian dictators try to control the flow of information... you know like China, Venuzela, Iran and apparently the USA.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:51 pm

Because people like to leak results before they've been properly vetted and verified, leading to MEDIA OUTRAGE.
- Ragorn
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:07 pm

Sounds great.

Can we establish a government run truth commission to ensure that only truth is communicated?

Maybe we could have them review our emails on healthcare to make sure no one is saying anything you disagree with... i mean isn't true. Oh wait WH already set that up so people could report "false information".

Good thing we have government to protect us... Remind me again who protects us from government?
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:31 pm

All research institutions have rules that prevent their members from speaking with the press. But I guess since this particular organization is government-run, suddenly it's a censorship issue.

Ever signed a non-disclosure agreement for a private-sector employer? Do we need to establish a Truth Council for you too?
- Ragorn
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:48 pm

Ragorn wrote:Do we need to establish a Truth Council for you too?

It would cut down on all the spam...
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:01 pm

Yes because government for the PEOPLE, BY THE PEOPLE is not a separate unaccountable entity... That is why we have FOIA.

Return to “Current Events & Politics”