Your vaunted public servants seving the public

Minimum moderation and heated debates.
amena wolfsnarl
Sojourner

Re: Your vaunted public servants seving the public

Postby amena wolfsnarl » Tue May 24, 2011 9:33 pm

that first kid does kinda scream pyschopath in training to me. But those people all look like staged shots. Fact of the matter id be upset with the police officer if he didnt check that the person had the proper permits, etc to carry that gun. You do have the right to bare arms, but the police are paid to uphold public safety, and a man carrying a weapon, lawfully or not, does raise my concern for public safety.
Dugmaren tells you 'Welcome to Canada, don't blame us if you're stupid enough to get eaten by the wild life'
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Tue May 24, 2011 9:43 pm

Ragorn wrote:Also, I'd call security if I saw someone open carrying in a grocery store. And definitely wouldn't shop there again if they permitted it.

Open carry should be subject to the same rules as smoking... establishment owners should be free to permit or ban it as they see fit.

LOL thats hillarious.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Tue May 24, 2011 9:44 pm

amena wolfsnarl wrote:that first kid does kinda scream pyschopath in training to me. But those people all look like staged shots. Fact of the matter id be upset with the police officer if he didnt check that the person had the proper permits, etc to carry that gun. You do have the right to bare arms, but the police are paid to uphold public safety, and a man carrying a weapon, lawfully or not, does raise my concern for public safety.

Should we check hispanic looking and sounding people to make sure they are properly licensed to drive a dangerous vehicle (car)?

I betcha more people get killed by cars than by guns.
amena wolfsnarl
Sojourner

Postby amena wolfsnarl » Tue May 24, 2011 10:01 pm

If there is a reason to believe that those people are illegally operating a vehicle, than yes. but with cars your required to show your registration (aka lisence plate) on the outside. Guns you dont need to show registration visibly to carry it.

on top of that a Car is far more common than a gun, and raises a lot less eyebrows from people when they see one go by. If carrying a weapon was the norm, than fine, but its not, so it does raise public concern about safety. If you saw someone walking down the street with a longsword in a scabbard across thier back would you not raise a shit fit if you saw a cop walk past him without even blinking? That person has the right to bare arms, that being a longsword, but would it not cause you some concern to see this person walking to the grocery store with one? Would you not be a little worried about what that person intends to do in that situation?
Dugmaren tells you 'Welcome to Canada, don't blame us if you're stupid enough to get eaten by the wild life'
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Tue May 24, 2011 10:14 pm

Ragorn wrote:Also, I'd call security if I saw someone open carrying in a grocery store. And definitely wouldn't shop there again if they permitted it.

Open carry should be subject to the same rules as smoking... establishment owners should be free to permit or ban it as they see fit.

I completely agree.
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
Teflor Lyorian
Sojourner

Postby Teflor Lyorian » Wed May 25, 2011 1:33 am

They are permitted to do so and some do. Most do not.
"You see, the devil haunts a hungry man.
If you don’t wanna join him, you got to beat him."
- Kris Kristofferson (To Beat the Devil)
Teflor Lyorian
Sojourner

Postby Teflor Lyorian » Wed May 25, 2011 1:34 am

A quick reminder, there are many places in the United States where open carry is legal and routinely practiced. They don't have any more gun violence than other places.

How would you feel if open carry also required insurance, like drivers are required to carry insurance?

Remember that the right to keep and bear arms, is right, guaranteed by the constitution of the United States of America. You can't revoke a right just because you don't like it, unless you happen to have a large enough majority to amend the constitution.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Wed May 25, 2011 7:36 am

Its clearly a matter of sanctioned discrimination vs unsanctioned discrimination. They've morally decided that its justifiable to discriminate and treat open carry folks differently than other law abiding citizens... because its different. I wonder if they would think to treat a karate blackbelt differently since they walk around with registered "deadly" weapons 24x7.
Teflor Lyorian
Sojourner

Postby Teflor Lyorian » Wed May 25, 2011 3:06 pm

It's ok to treat someone carrying a loaded weapon differently, Kiryan. The problem is that the difference should still be both respectful and non-harassing.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Wed May 25, 2011 3:28 pm

kiryan wrote:Its clearly a matter of sanctioned discrimination vs unsanctioned discrimination. They've morally decided that its justifiable to discriminate and treat open carry folks differently than other law abiding citizens... because its different. I wonder if they would think to treat a karate blackbelt differently since they walk around with registered "deadly" weapons 24x7.

Late one night a car is driving down the road swerving within it's lane. A cop pulls the car over.

Is that discrimination against people who swerve when they drive?
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Teflor Lyorian
Sojourner

Postby Teflor Lyorian » Wed May 25, 2011 3:38 pm

Sarvis wrote:
kiryan wrote:Its clearly a matter of sanctioned discrimination vs unsanctioned discrimination. They've morally decided that its justifiable to discriminate and treat open carry folks differently than other law abiding citizens... because its different. I wonder if they would think to treat a karate blackbelt differently since they walk around with registered "deadly" weapons 24x7.

Late one night a car is driving down the road swerving within it's lane. A cop pulls the car over.

Is that discrimination against people who swerve when they drive?

Does the cop blare expletives and force the driver to his knees when he's not even drunk?
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Wed May 25, 2011 5:40 pm

He does if it's me playing LA Noire.

Pedestrians are fucking HARD to kill in that game!
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Teflor Lyorian
Sojourner

Postby Teflor Lyorian » Wed May 25, 2011 5:48 pm

Ragorn wrote:He does if it's me playing LA Noire.

Pedestrians are fucking HARD to kill in that game!

Damn unrealistic games.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Wed May 25, 2011 6:49 pm

Every 20 minutes or so, while I'm playing LA Noire, my roommate will suggest that I take the disc out and play GTA 4 instead.

"What do you mean I can't shoot this innocent bystander after I shove him off the embankment?"
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Wed May 25, 2011 7:09 pm

I didn't even know LA Noir was out already. :(

But I'm still playing through games I received for Christmas, and my TV is broken anyway so...
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire

Return to “Current Events & Politics”