Long commutes increase risk of divorce by 40%

Minimum moderation and heated debates.
Corth
Sojourner

Long commutes increase risk of divorce by 40%

Postby Corth » Tue May 24, 2011 6:42 pm

http://www.thelocal.se/33966/20110524/#

Not surprised to see this. I find it amazing how long people are willing to commute to work. An hour each way doesn't even raise eyebrows anymore. The way I see it, you are essentially working a second part time job with that kind of commute. Besides the additional costs involved in traveling such a large distance (both monetarily and environmentally), the additional time involved in essentially a work-related activity has to cause additional work-related stress. I personally would never work more than 10 or 15 minutes from where I live. I value my time too much.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Re: Long commutes increase risk of divorce by 40%

Postby Sarvis » Tue May 24, 2011 6:45 pm

Agreed. I have a 3 minute commute right now... may be moving for a 25 minute commute soon though. :(
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Tue May 24, 2011 6:48 pm

25-30 minutes here. I'm somewhat bogged down by the fact that my ex-wife (and daughter) live significantly further from the city than I'm willing to go. So I have to balance my workplace and place of residence with her choice of location. 30 minutes is about the best I can do.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Tue May 24, 2011 7:03 pm

I did most of my early career stuff in Los Angeles. No family, but I was young and my driving goal was to gain as much experience and position as possible (money obviously comes with that, but i'd take a job compensating less if it had more position/respect). I regularly commuted an hour and even commuted 1.5-2 hours at times.

The driving philosophy was here was career advancement so I could retire and be more choosy about my jobs / living prospects in the future. My plan was to become an expert within 20 years and then I wouldn't have to scramble with the scrubs for jobs, I could pick my employers. Worked out fairly well.

About 10 years ago I took a job with a startup. Due to the long hours and my marital status with the japanese ex wife (difficult), rooming far away was not a good option so I shelled out 1200 bucks a month to live in a hotel 5 minutes from work. That was great. So great that I bought my house 5 minutes away from where I was planning on retiring. That didn't work out so well, but my next job was only 15-20 minutes away and that is working out great.

I really can't see doing it any other way anymore. I would if i had to, but living farther than that away from work means you miss thanksgiivng lunches at the school, school day time plays, you can't take your kids to doctor appointments etc... Without kids I could probably do longer commutes, but as the kids get older, and need more chauferring, it just doesn't make a lot of sense.

When I lived in Japan, I had a 45 minute commute, 15 minutes on bike, 30 minutes on the trains. It was great. but I had no kids to worry about getting back too and I could read or study while riding the trains. Commuting on a train provides a lot of downtime for introspection which I found good and relaxing. The 4-6 hours I saw my wife every night was fine... but she also worked. If she was sitting around all day, it might not have been enough time from her POV.

I really don't think I could say long commutes are bad and short commutes are good. Just depends on your circumstances.
amena wolfsnarl
Sojourner

Postby amena wolfsnarl » Tue May 24, 2011 7:17 pm

Working in the oilfield of northern alberta increases divorce rate to 80%. The funny thing here is yes you do have a lot of wives complaining that they dont get a lot of time with thier spouse, but when those spouses get office jobs and are home every night, the wives complain about the lack of money they are making and divorce em anyways (god bless the gold diggers lol).
Dugmaren tells you 'Welcome to Canada, don't blame us if you're stupid enough to get eaten by the wild life'
Teflor Lyorian
Sojourner

Postby Teflor Lyorian » Tue May 24, 2011 8:06 pm

amena wolfsnarl wrote:Working in the oilfield of northern alberta increases divorce rate to 80%. The funny thing here is yes you do have a lot of wives complaining that they dont get a lot of time with thier spouse, but when those spouses get office jobs and are home every night, the wives complain about the lack of money they are making and divorce em anyways (god bless the gold diggers lol).

Sad, but lolable. Women want to have their cake and eat it too (without the calories). Facts of life, and all.
"You see, the devil haunts a hungry man.
If you don’t wanna join him, you got to beat him."
- Kris Kristofferson (To Beat the Devil)

Return to “Current Events & Politics”