state to fed, groping is a felony, fed to state no mo planes

Minimum moderation and heated debates.
kiryan
Sojourner

state to fed, groping is a felony, fed to state no mo planes

Postby kiryan » Thu May 26, 2011 5:36 pm

So texas was working towards passing a law that said TSA screening amounted to a felony. Feds responded back with we will shut down your airports.

One one hand, I definitely see the feds point. Primarily because if one state opts out, the entire security regime is pointless. On the other hand, I like it when the state stands up for us and say we have a right not to be groped just for the privilege to fly in an airplane.

Does state government even need to exist anymore when the feds hold all power? whether through the commerce clause or the ability to tax and bribe you with your own money?

http://www.infowars.com/financial-terro ... s-hostage/
Ragorn
Sojourner

Re: state to fed, groping is a felony, fed to state no mo pl

Postby Ragorn » Thu May 26, 2011 5:53 pm

In this case, the argument is not necessarily "commerce clause" as much as "national security." And sadly, the feds are probably right... states just don't have the power to opt out of national security measures. Texas could not, for example, pass a law allowing Texans to sell military secrets to Libya. In the same manner, Texans are not permitted to opt out of bomb screenings on airplanes.

I despise the TSA (just an extension of Bush's mad power grab, remember!). But I'm not sure Texas is going to win this one.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Teflor Lyorian
Sojourner

Postby Teflor Lyorian » Fri May 27, 2011 1:05 am

I wish you wouldn't post stuff from infowars. They recommend stock picks for pete's sake.
"You see, the devil haunts a hungry man.
If you don’t wanna join him, you got to beat him."
- Kris Kristofferson (To Beat the Devil)
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Fri May 27, 2011 4:52 pm

I don't see how Texas can win either and although I bristle at federal intrusion, I agree they can't opt out of things that ensure the national defense.

I guess my only real objection to the federal action here is that they responded unreasonably in threatening to shut down their air travel if they dared to pass a law. Holder can't figure out a legal solution to protect TSA workers doing their misguided job?

and i found this article mildly entertaining. basically this woman feels degraded by the TSA due to being groped, lack of privacy and men who show no respect.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/naomi-wol ... 68020.html

Return to “Current Events & Politics”