Sojourner

Liberal TV

Postby Adriorn Darkcloak » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:59 pm

A good read.
kiryan
Sojourner

Re: Liberal TV

Postby kiryan » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:09 pm

Read similar articles a couple days ago.

I'm not sure how much I agree with the proposition that TV is liberal because liberals are in charge as I think it may be a natural result of a race for ratings. You can only tell "little house on the prarie" and other time honored conservative values so many ways. There is an incentive to be different, to be edgy for the ratings and the spin. More than likely its cyclical although probably always marching leftward over time.

If there is a problem here, its that parents expose their children to TV at too young of an age and allow the TV to define normal. TV, music and friends are doing a lot of our parenting today instead of parents.

Laurel and I are in discussion with the ex about what specific values to give the children regarding dating. Like whether they should kiss or have a "boyfriend" or profess "love" a word they really can't understand fully at 13 or 14. Whether to suggest to them that "serious" dating before finishing college could not only affect their education, but also was unrealistic and likely to cause unnecsesary pain to all parties (Statistically, you don't marry someone you knew before the age of 18). To require them to take a hard look at whether they are mature enough to have a relationship... and the reasons why they want to engage in a "relationship".

They hopefully won't start to be interested in dating for another 2-3 years, but if we don't step in, then someone else will... whether its friends or school or TV.

Letting the TV babysit your kids is a crap shoot... I watch a lot of kids shows because of the 3 little ones and they are pretty wholesome in general, but I can pick out the agenda here and there. Its obviously more pronounced in shows like Friends because they deal with more adult topics and don't have to worry about soccer moms going ape shit and boycotting their show.

As far as I understand, TV is not meant to give you or your children your values. It is meant to entertain. Its of no wonder that when you use TV incorrectly (as a baby sitter) you get unintended and poor results.
and tonights winner in the Toril EQ lottery is demi belt and skull earring!
Adriorn Darkcloak
Sojourner

Postby Adriorn Darkcloak » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:56 pm

kiryan wrote:I'm not sure how much I agree with the proposition that TV is liberal because liberals are in charge as I think it may be a natural result of a race for ratings.

Read the entire article Kiryan, and see what the executives THEMSELVES said. :) There's also a bunch of video clips from the upcoming documentary or whatever.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:48 pm

I've read several articles. I have read the quotes and watched a couple of them.

I really don't think you understand what I'm saying. Regardless of the agenda of people in Hollywood... If you get rewarded for being "different" in terms of ratings and money, you're going to keep pushing the boundaries of different. This is liberal vs conservative at its core, change vs the status quo.

You could replace everyone in hollywood with bible thumping conservatives and within 50 years, we'll be right back where we are today, because to keep entertaining, you need to be different... or at least that appears to be the case.
Teflor Lyorian
Sojourner

Postby Teflor Lyorian » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:30 am

Could you imagine what kind of world ours would be like if popular media pushed a conservative agenda?

I grew up in a place that didn't allow their children to watch the Cosby show because there were black people on the TV (not that unnecessarily negative racism is a conservative value). If mainstream media _supported_ this attitude, we would definitely be living in a different kind of place.

The liberal agenda is many things, many of the terrible, many of them without merit - but when the liberal agenda lines up with real, American principles, it's really no controversy.
"You see, the devil haunts a hungry man.
If you don’t wanna join him, you got to beat him."
- Kris Kristofferson (To Beat the Devil)

Return to “Current Events & Politics”